Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Charlie Reams »

Hello and welcome to the new C4Countdown forum! It's been a long time coming but we hope you'll agree that it's worth the wait.

Perhaps a predictable-but-useful way to open the new forum would be to invite everyone to sign up (real names please!), say "Hi", and let us know who you are. I'm Charlie Reams (lots of you will know me as Soo) and I'm a final year undergraduate at Cambridge University. I've been watching Countdown for about 5 years and will be applying... some time. I run The Countdown Corral and I also set-up the Countdown Wiki. My favourite colour is horse.

Over to you.
Last edited by Charlie Reams on Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: bolding real names, as most people seem to have ignored this advice
Jon Stitcher
Rookie

Re: Welcome!

Post by Jon Stitcher »

Hello,

I will post occasionally on this forum, be it humourous or just self congratulatory posts following a nine, a successful numbers game, or just that I got laid!

Jon
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Hi, I'm Dan Vanniasingham, and I didn't realise my Username was also the default for posting under - otherwise I'd change it to that. I read all the posts, contribute occasionally, and one day might try to realise my full potential at this addictive game - but as I blew my chance on the show years back I'm highly unmotivated. Until then, I'll appear at whatever CO-events I can, and contribute roughly one DC beater per year on average. :)
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Hello. I'm Conor Travers and I won series 54 of Countdown a few years ago. My hobbies include the Internet and darts. I never thought'd I'd see the day... Although it's a shame that Stitcher's made his last post.
Last edited by Conor on Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart Earl
Rookie

Post by Stuart Earl »

Hello everyone. I am a reluctant forumite, and voted for not having one- so I still need convincing. The trouble as I see it is that different people will now split their contributions between the two options - in much the same way that they used to when gevin's rant-place was up and running when I started taking an interest. Maybe in time we will all end up in the same place - as we did then (rather quickly - once the alternative was up and running!) - and then I won't have a problem.

But because I tend to operate replies principally from Outlook (because much correspondence to do with work is generated through that channel) I will only usually look at a forum once or twice a day so I will not feel quite as involved as before.

Anyway, good luck to the forum - let's see what happens,

Stuart

PS My name is Stuart Earl and I am 48. I am a Methodist Superintendent Minister and am based at the largest methodist Church in the North of England , at a place called Cullercoats which is on the coast ten miles east of Newcastle. I was beaten by one point in the quarter-final of Series 50, having been second seed with 807 points. So I am a proud member of the 800 club, and wrote an e-book called One From the Top, sub-titled Getting Better at Countdown - an account of my experiences and a guide to the game, formulae for numbers games, hints for letters games, preparing for auditions and TV, and details of the games I played in. It is still available at the ridiculously not-inflating price of £4.99. I do the reviews on a Thursday.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Looks cracking Soo, well done.

Your hard work and effort is appreciated!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Well done Soo. Looks good.

As in intro, I'm Howard Somerset, fan of Countdown since watching it sometime while I was sick of work during series one. Watched it regularly since getting a VCR in 1989. Always try to play against the contestants while watching the programme, and am steadily getting better at it as each series passes. Almost reached "average". If ever I do reach average, maybe that application for an audition will finally get posted.

of: Intended to type "off", but after reading the mis-type realised that it was better as I'd typed it.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Loving the new forum, Soo. Well done :D.

Hello all. My name is Joseph Bolas and I am 25 years old. I was on Countdown back in Series 52 and missed a simple 9-letter word and an easy numbers game, of which I hope to be able to redeem myself one day, for those slip-ups. This year I am also planning to organise a Liverpool-based CO-event to be held in August.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Wowee! :o (Inserts handy emoticon)

A new forum. Not had chance to fully navigate it yet but it looks pimped out to the max! Bravo chaps...
...and chapettes (nah who am I kidding!)

Ahem my name's Dinos, I'm a first year under-grad at Sheffield University studying chemistry and maths. I'm a so so-ish Countdowner and watch it whenever I can. I was in series 57 aired October 2007 and won 3 games. (My former screen name was triochamp but its petty and I'm sick of it now!) Discovered this forums predecessor mailing list shortly after I went on. Doh! My hobbies include the aforementioned, moviefilms, tellybox, Wii and Carol Vorderman and I'm in a long term relationship with my gorgeous bird Emma who I'm bringing to COLIN. I'm also a very slow typer and have been on this post for about 15 mins. Normally if I have input for a show I'll have sent it after the show's finished!

Siyonara

Dinos
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

I'm Craig Beevers, winner of series 57. I'm primarily a Scrabbler, where I'm ranked 44th in the World and have won various tournaments. My other interests are the internet, cricket and watching sport.

For those that aren't aware scaly piscine is a quote from the awesome TV sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf.
Kevin Thurlow
Acolyte

Post by Kevin Thurlow »

I am not entirely convinced but will have a bash. It looks good. I reached the semi-final of series 47, (the octo-octochamp series) after an exciting QF against Lee Hartley, (the crowd went wild) but then lost to Tom Hargreaves. I work as a consultant for a scientific company, mainly advising on chemical names, and writing Safety Data Sheets for chemicals which will be transported. I also write scientific articles for colleagues who are too busy doing more research etc. to write up their previous work! I encourage people to write scientific papers in understandable English. For relaxation(?), I play, organise and write about chess, and watch cricket, normally on television.....

Kevin
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

I am Harry Whitehouse. I'm a dedicated lurker, who pops up occasionally to complain about Des O'Connor and to ask silly questions.

I'm 58, and if I ever pluck up courage to apply for an audition, and luck through it, I shall be on, off, then instantly forgotten, as a member of that horde of nondescript, late middle-age, male six-scorers who keep things going in between the interesting games.
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

This forum is a credit to you, Soo, well done.

Hi all. I haven't signed up with a proper name so ... whoops ... but I think most of you'll know me from msn with the same handle.

My name is David O'Donnell, I am 30 years old, and I recently went back to university (as a mature student **sigh**) to complete a MA in Political Theory. I plan to do a PhD from September but that's dependent on funding. I am a contestant in the current series and my debut is on Thursday. How doth I cringe? Let me count the ways.
Sue Bowman

Post by Sue Bowman »

Hi, I'm one of the people who said they wouldn't use a forum. Judgement suspended for now. I mainly lurk, but very occasionally post.

Like Craig, my main passion is Scrabble (although my ranking is hugely lower than Craig's). I'm 59, and I work full-time-plus as the Co-ordinator of an NHS Research Ethics Committee in Bristol. Sounds 100 per cent tedious, doesn't it, but it's actually very interesting. So much so that I don't intend to retire when I hit the big six-oh in August. Other personal things: sadly widowed two months ago, but I'm still owned by a cat.

Sue Bowman
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Good afternoon, Countdowners everywhere!

This is Jason from Seattle here. I was one of the people who voted for this forum to be here.

I'm hoping that some more familiar faces will join us here very soon.

It is so good to be here!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Hi.

I'm Kirk Bevins, a 21 year old trainee secondary school mathematics teacher. I was on Countdown in series 50 when I was 17. I lost my first game due to nerves and now partly wish I'd held the application back as I want a serious crack at being an octochamp. Oh well. I'm glad I got to meet Richard Whiteley though.

My main interests are darts, maths and trains although I venture further afield with my interests, such as the paranormal.
You're likely to see me at a COLIN/COBRIS event, either with a cold or being beaten by Paul Howe.
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Hi everyone, and thanks to Soo for getting this off the ground.

My name is Chris Hawkins, 39, male, married with two boys (b.'96 and '98), Maths teacher at the largest Academy in the country (>2200 pupils) :shock:

Hobbies are Scrabble, Lego (approaching 100,000 pieces in total), jigsaws (the bigger the better, Wasgij and Simpsons being my current fave themed ones), watching most forms of sport. I'm in the Guinness Book of Records for one of the aforementioned hobbies. 8-)

Appeared on Countdown in 1994, lost to future series-producer Damian Eadie by one point because I didn't know what AIDACRETE anagrammed to :( (nor did he)

Deso gets my goat, Phil Hammond rocks, Susie and Alison should alternate.

That's it for now,
Chris
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

chawky wrote:Appeared on Countdown in 1994, lost to future series-producer Damian Eadie by one point because I didn't know what AIDACRETE anagrammed to :( (nor did he)
Chris
Tough one, but I eventually came up with the answer: ERADICATE
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I forgot to tell everyone about myself if they don't know anything about me.

Although I do like to use the computer, I don't use it very often because I have a job. I work as a data entry clerk for an archiving firm outside of Seattle that does electronic storage of documents, (A great job for a Countdown fan, don't you think?)

I like game shows of all kinds, and even though I am more familiar with people like Drew Carey, Pat Sajak and Alex Trebek I do know who such people as Des O'Connor, Noel Edmonds and John Humphries are. They are all great!

I like to travel and take looks at nature, and I really enjoy life!
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I am Ben Wilson, the Nebagram, Countdown champ in 2001, Countdown internet addict since 2002 and organiser of COLIN since 2005. Speaking of, there's still places if you're interested. ;-)
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Hello, my name's Ben. I'm a 17 year old AS-level student (I had 4 exams just last week) from North London. I'm studying German, French, English and History with an eye to doing Modern Languages at university. I've watched Countdown for a few months, although I vaguely remember watching it a couple of times about 6/7 years ago. My interests include offering non-existent words as Winners on this forum/mailing list and pretty much all sports, although the only one I am actually good at is rugby.

I am currently listening Just a Minute on Radio 4, on which I have bet 2 tins of baked beans that a contestant is allowed to repeat a word so long as it is done in different turns.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

In that case, you've lost the bet (although they are much more likely to get away with it if they repeat in separate turns.)
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Hello, I'm Julian, series 48 champion, 23 years old now. In terms of online Countdown, I'm doing a 'Bjorn Borg', returning after a very long time out of the loop. I hope my own comeback will be a bit more successful...
fruitcake

Post by fruitcake »

Evening all :)

I'm Gemma, I'm 24 and I live in Lancashire. I've never been the best at finding words when I watch Countdown, but I love to have a go. I surprised myself last week as I got a few seven letter words -- I've hardly ever got beyond the three/four letter stage previously! :shock:
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Hello, my name is Jim Bentley. I was on in Series 50 and managed to win eight games by using advanced mind control techniques on my opponents. Unfortunately my quarter-final opponent - the wily Adam Laws - somehow became wise to my saucy ways and beat me on a crucial conundrum. I have never forgiven him for this and have made it my life's work to destroy him and all that he loves. Damn you, Laws! (shakes fist etc.)

Aside from Countdown, I make unsettling and highly distorted dance music under the name of Fahnn, all of which can be found at http://www.fahnn.co.uk/. It is an acquired taste.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

hatton02 wrote:I lost my first game due to nerves and now partly wish I'd held the application back as I want a serious crack at being an octochamp.
Ditto. Being in the audience for the first recording didn't help. If I was the first recording and played Jack Welsby without knowing how good he was, I may have won then. Good tip there for people who haven't been on yet IMO, make sure you get the first recording so you don't a "preview" of your opponents skills (if any). It could knock your confidence.

Its a pity we can't find 8 people who lost their debut games and then do QF's, SF's and a Final.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Why, hello there,

I'm Michael Wallace, resident series 55 failure (I have enough excuses to hit the posting character limit, I suspect, but the main one involves modding not being in the dictionary...yet). I am currently doing a masters in statistics at UCL (having done maths at Cambridge for my undergraduate studies) because it was that or get a job. My hobbies are the Internet, programming, attempting to play chess, attempting to learn how to play go, watching anime, setting/doing crosswords, playing computer games and reading (just to throw some generic ones in there in case you thought I might be interesting).

I'm also on a one-man-mission to take you all into the realms of IRC, but that'll have to happen when I don't have too much work to do so I can fix the countdown playing robot.

I also like raccoons.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Aye I remember MODDING getting disallowed, isn't allowed in Scrabble either where the dictionary covers a lot more words - pretty farcical really. Can't imagine how irritating it must have been to have had it disallowed, I was bad enough when I had KEGFUL disallowed in a Scrabble tournament earlier this month (I'd had SNOGGER disallowed against the same opponent in another tournament, SNOGGER is ok in Countdown btw).
StusyBaby

Post by StusyBaby »

Hi, I'm Stu, 20 year old NONE-o-champ from Scotland, I appeared a few shows before the Quarter Finals of series 57.
I don't post very often!
Hoping to play in some ABSP Scrabble Tournaments in the near future (still an ABSP virgin), after playing on ISC for 2 years or so under the guise of Hightower9...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Hello I'm Gavin, also known as Gevin. I'm an occasional viewer of Countdown, although I used to watch more frequently. One day I might even apply to go on (although it's probably less likely now than before). :mrgreen:
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

This seems weird after all this time! Anyway, I'm Mike Brown, quarter-finalist and pentachamp (?) from Series 48 (knocked out by Julian Fell, so no shame there) and editor of The Countdown Page website. I also try to attend the CO- events and, like everyone else, get beaten by Chris Wills. Outside of my Countdown life, I work as a Project Leader in an IT department in the wilds of Norfolk (the really flat bit), and also spend quite a bit of time writing, producing and appearing in amateur dramatics shows.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Mike Brown wrote: I also try to attend the CO- events and, like everyone else, get beaten by Chris Wills.
Not strictly true. Paul Howe and I have beaten Chris at CO-events, we just didn't go on to win it!
Heather Phillips

Post by Heather Phillips »

Hi. I'm Heather Phillips and I appeared on Countdown in February 2006. I was playing Matthew Shore (who eventually lost to Conor in the series final) but I got the conundrum!
I will be eternally grateful to Jon Corby for letting Matt beat him in the semi-final.

I graduated in July 2007 from the Computer Science department here in Aberystwyth with a First Class BSc. If I can do it with a home, kids, pets and a husband to take care of, then anyone can. I am now working part-time at the department doing a bit of this and that.

I catch most of Countdown each day but don't get home from school until the end of the first part.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Hi everyone, the new forum looks really nice.

I was in series 54, where I lost to Conor in the semis, managing to match him on the words only to make a complete arse of the numbers. I also lost in the semis of the last CofC, this time being pipped by Mark Tournoff thanks to his brilliance on the conundrum and my rubbishness at the same.

I still watch Countdown when I can, but these days that's sadly not very often. I also enjoy going to the various CO- events, although I can't make COLIN this weekend so maybe Kirk actually has a chance to win!
cheekbones3

Post by cheekbones3 »

Hullo, Ian Volante here. I won three times on series 56, and if I'd discovered this place beforehand, I might have done even better. I mean I never even spotted pronates when I got beat.

In other news, I'm playing korfball for Edinburgh Mavericks, presenting quizzes at the Auld Hoose in Edinburgh, and not reading enough.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

My name's Jon O'Neill and I like four from the top.
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Post by Mike Brailsford »

Hi, my name is Mike Brailsford. I am 36 from Blackpool. I appeared as a contestant on Countdown in series 53. I have been a serial TV quizzer in the last 12 years, having racked up 10 other shows. Countdown though was the one I really wanted to get on.

Every now and then I make a living doing adminstration work. 'Oh how exciting !' you say. Ideally, I would like a job in some form of the televisual media like making tea for Des O'Connor or shouting for Carol Vorderman to keep up the laughing.

I am into football (Manchester United), professional wrestling (WWE and TNA), television (sport, quizzes, comedy and soaps), board/video games and the Internet. I play various forms of quizzes like pub, local radio and the 'net. Sadly the days of the prize phone-ins seem to be gone. I had my heydey on them in the early 90s. I have many wrestling events and football matches and highlights on video tape and DVD. We are getting near the 500 mark now.

I collect sports merchandise. I have collected around 50 football shirts (mostly MUFC) and have quite a few cricket, rugby, basketball and ice hockey jerseys. I have met George Best, Bobby Charlton and Sir Alex Ferguson as far as the big names go. The worst 2 'celebrities' I dealt with were Craig Stevens on Brainteaser (later those annoying later night ITV1 quiz shows) and Nicky Campbell from a football phone in quiz on Radio 2.

Craig was quite rude about my hobbies. I don't mind the anorak tag. He didn't say that, but I knew what he was getting at and I was glad to get £750 out of it. I dared to correct Nicky Campbell over an answer to a football question he'd given the wrong answer to. 'Well that's what the commentator said' came the reply. As if I wouldn't know who scored Manchester United's first goal in the 1991 European Cup Winners Cup Final !
Last edited by Mike Brailsford on Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

mikebuk wrote:The worst 2 'celebrities' I dealt with were Craig Stevens on Brainteaser (later those annoying later night ITV1 quiz shows) and Nicky Campbell from a football phone in quiz on Radio 2.
I am with you there on Craig Stevens. When I was on Brainteaser, he was my presenter too and he was boring (I wanted Alex Lovell to be honest). Other than Countdown, I've not been on any other gameshow, but surely presenters, in person, can't be any worser than Craig.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Do Brainteaser still have a contestant appeal going? That might be fun :) Dinos
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:Do Brainteaser still have a contestant appeal going? That might be fun :) Dinos
I believe Brainteaser was axed, because it was coming up with false winners on the competitions?.
StusyBaby

Post by StusyBaby »

Isn't Richard Brittain a former Brainteaser winner?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

StusyBaby wrote:Isn't Richard Brittain a former Brainteaser winner?
Yep, and he hates Jews.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Ginger Jono wrote:
Yep, and he hates Jews.

Ahem, what happened to our informal agreement to refrain from discussing RB's political views in the forum?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Janowsky wrote:
Ginger Jono wrote:
Yep, and he hates Jews.

Ahem, what happened to our informal agreement to refrain from discussing RB's political views in the forum?
No, no, you are mistaken.. that was the mailing list.

In fact, I'm petitioning for an entire RB section for discussion of the great man himself.
Mikey Lear
Rookie

Post by Mikey Lear »

Hi, I'm Mikey.
I just delurked because Soo asked me to. Also I wanted to use the word delurked, which I learnt a while ago.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Hi Mikey thanks for delurking. You were one of my favourite people of Series 57. I liked your psychadelic braces. Also where did you learn to grin? :mrgreen:
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

I was getting lonely on the old site so thought I'd pop across to this and see what it looked like. Got to say I'm impressed Soo!

Bit of background....James Hurrell Series 57 second seed (838 points) knocked out by the gentleman Steve Baines (who I am in regular contact with) in the series QF.

I was part of a great series and the current one looks like a cracker and has been to a high standard so far. Looking forward to seeing David's (8?) games.
Mary Grylls

Post by Mary Grylls »

I haven't introduced myself yet. I'm 83 and a Scrabble addict. Crosswords and, of course, Countdown, are other addictions.
In my (much) younger days I took the bar exams, and had various legal jobs before getting married and having 3 children. Then I used my legal knowledge in the Citizens Advice Bureau, a very worthwhile enterprise. Scrabble knowledge helps a lot in playing Countdown, but you have to be very wary because the Scrabble dictionary is far more extensive than the ODE.

Good luck to all those intending to appear on our screens!

Mary
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

Hi everyone,

How lovely it is to be typing this message in a proper form on a proper forum without Yahoo! clunkifying the process. I suspect many of you will remember me with varying degrees of fondness from most of the other Countdown discussion sites on the interweb but for those who don't I am Chris Philpot, 18 years old from West Sussex. I was a none-ochamp during Series 51 who, in the process of losing his game, achieved two things: firstly, I am fairly certain that I am the only contestant ever to have read out their own introductory cue card on the show. Secondly, I proudly announced to the late great Mr. Whiteley that I had the five letter word "pubic", which is apparently hilarious. At least I suppose it must be, for friends and enemies alike haven't let me forget this, reminding me of pretty much daily for the past four years or so.

In between bouts of being a bitter and twisted cynic I am also a recluse and a deathly bore with a worryingly out of character love for that certain level of pun which is particularly good (or bad, depending on your position). IRL I'm presently at college studying for my A-levels with a view to possibly going to university in order to study Television Production, having developed a love for what goes on 'behind the camera' whilst on the set of, you guessed it, Countdown.

So in effect the show to which this new forum is dedicated has both given my life direction, and simultaneously ruined it.

Much love,

Chris
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

HI,

I'm Mauro Pratesi, husband to series 19 contestant Diane Pratesi. Must be one of the oldest viewers having watched from the first Countdown in November 1982 which also conincided with my first video and video recording. Recently turned 53 and live in London. Currently chair of the London Scrabble League and the LSL website (http://www.lsl.org.uk) also hosts screen shots of former Countdown contestants at http://www.btinternet.com/~m.d.pratesi/ ... amous.html - sadly I have not updated for the last couple of series.

Having watched so many Scrabble players take part thought I would have a go. Sadly have failed five auditions to go on Countdown; four in the days of Sandra Morgan and Mark Nyman's term in office. Last summer was the fifth having tried to get my oldest daughter Jessica (11 now 12) to appear. Sadly neither of us did very well - London is a difficult area to qualify from. Either that or my Countdown is really bad!

Not liking the forum very much because of the nature of scrolling through the many posts but notice it is easier when you are logged in than just reading posts when you're not. Don't really want to miss any of the topics of discussion which is why I registered.

regards
- - - - - -

Mauro
DaveC
Acolyte

Post by DaveC »

Hiyo everyone...

I'm Dave Coulthurst, yet to appear on TV, unless you count the Russell Harty Show when I was 5. Currently aged 33, a former education professional, secondary school teacher/college lecturer in computing and ICT, and retiring A Level Examiner for ICT. Now sort of between worlds employment wise.

I've been a familiar face of the forums for over 3 years, writing many reviews, boring everyone with bad jokes, etc, etc. and turning up at most of the tournaments.

"Doctor doctor, I think I'm turning into a spreadsheet"..... "Well, you've really excelled yourself this time".

Interests include numismatics, martial arts (and complementary sports), drumkit percussion (George Kollias is the man), genealogy and astronomy. I remain forever curious about the laws of the universe and the human condition, but I can't claim to much understand these things. I try to incorporate a little Buddhist philosophy and Gandhi influence into daily living though couldn't claim to have achieved anything exciting in this arena either. I never play Scrabble or card games. I don't want to swap facebook contacts or phone numbers, I'd much rather exchange a genuine smile.

DC
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

Hi there! My name is Stewart Scott and I appeared not that long ago, just over 2 weeks ago to be precise in Series 58, Show 8 where I lost to Michael MacDonald-Cooper 126-29 (ouch!) but the only thing that mattered was the experience. Anyway, I've been a fan since a young age and going on the show was always a dream of mine, finally realised when my show was recorded on November 30th 2007 - the best day of my life without a doubt!
Michael Macdonald-Cooper

Post by Michael Macdonald-Cooper »

My name is Michael Macdonald-Cooper, and I appeared in the current series in early January. I am a retired crossword editor (The Independent, The Independent on Sunday, Oxford Today) living in Kirriemuir, Angus. I have also been a crossword setter appearing in the above publications, and in The Listener, The Times, The Scotsman and Scotland on Sunday under a variety of pseudonyms. Many years ago I won the Times Crossword Championship, and was even longer ago the winner of The Observer's Oxford Superbrain competition (i.e. champion solver of Azed crosswords). I have appeared on television's Mastermind (in the days of Magnus Magnusson), and on Brain of Britain (three or four times) on the wireless (the choice of vocabulary here offering a cryptic clue to my age).
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Welcome Michael! Thoroughly enjoyed your octochamp run, great stuff :)
Michael Macdonald-Cooper

Post by Michael Macdonald-Cooper »

Thanks, Corby!

I want to add that I started my post intending to refer to Stewart Scott's earlier one, and stupidly forgot to do so. Stewart won the admiration and respect of everyone in the studio on 30 November for his exemplary sportsmanship and generosity despite what must have seemed a disappointing result. I hope - in fact, I'm certain - he'll have great success in his chosen field. Best wishes to you, Stewart!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Nice to see you here on the forum, Michael. And even better to see your run on the programme a week or so ago. Glad someone else calls it the wireless; you must be nearly as old as I am. :)
Joe Denniss
Rookie

Post by Joe Denniss »

Hi everyone.

I'm Joe, 14, from the Wirral. I only came across this forum recently, and it looks like there's a very friendly community here. Since passing my 3rd audition recently, I've taken a much more active interest in Countdown. My Mum practically forced me to get off my backside to apply again, but I'm glad I did. This series is proving to be very enjoyable, and Michael and David seem like some of the nicest octochamps I've ever seen.

I look forward to lurking here in the future! :D
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

Thanks Michael :) By the way congratulations on reaching octochamp status and i'm looking forward to seeing you in the knockout rounds in June - I always knew you'd get there!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

Michael is on the forum! Only just noticed! Great to have you here Michael - as I've said elsewhere, you're one of the most likeable octochamps I've ever seen on the show. As with Carol and Alison, I could listen to your voice all day! I also think your scores were very impressive, especially given that you had some very tough opponents, a series of fiendish numbers games and not many nines available to you over the whole of your run. Really good luck for the series finals - I imagine nearly the whole of the Countdown viewing public will be willing you on!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Post by Julian Fell »

szodiac wrote:HI,

I'm Mauro Pratesi, husband to series 19 contestant Diane Pratesi. Must be one of the oldest viewers having watched from the first Countdown in November 1982 which also conincided with my first video and video recording. Recently turned 53 and live in London. Currently chair of the London Scrabble League and the LSL website (http://www.lsl.org.uk) also hosts screen shots of former Countdown contestants at http://www.btinternet.com/~m.d.pratesi/ ... amous.html - sadly I have not updated for the last couple of series.
Those photos are really interesting Mauro! Nice one! Good to see what the likes of Harvey Freeman, Nic Brown, Tim Morrissey look like - and recent ones who I missed seeing on-screen like Paul Gallen, Jono etc. Jon Corby is as good-looking as expected! lol