Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Re: Welcome!

Post by Adam Gillard »

Jason Larsen - Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:28 pm wrote:Good afternoon, Countdowners everywhere!

This is Jason from Seattle here. I was one of the people who voted for this forum to be here.

I'm hoping that some more familiar faces will join us here very soon.

It is so good to be here!
Jason Larsen - Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:59 pm wrote:I forgot to tell everyone about myself if they don't know anything about me.

Although I do like to use the computer, I don't use it very often because I have a job. I work as a data entry clerk for an archiving firm outside of Seattle that does electronic storage of documents, (A great job for a Countdown fan, don't you think?)

I like game shows of all kinds, and even though I am more familiar with people like Drew Carey, Pat Sajak and Alex Trebek I do know who such people as Des O'Connor, Noel Edmonds and John Humphries are. They are all great!

I like to travel and take looks at nature, and I really enjoy life!
Jason Larsen - Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:27 pm wrote:Hello again, everyone!

I was told to post in this forum every time I come back from a long absence, so I thought I would tell you all that I'm back now.

The reason why I left is because I just came back to work last week.

My name is Jason Larsen. I like US and UK game shows, going places, talking to people and being conventional.
Just discovered your introduction(s), Jason. A good read :). Are you still a data entry clerk / being conventional?
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jason Larsen »

Adam, unfortunately, my personal information on you-know-elsewhere has been sadly updated. I have not worked at my current job since October of 2009 because my company went in a whole different direction. It doesn't surprise me that I don't have a job because of the economy. Come on Mr. Obama, you can do it!

(Footnote: I would like to thank Hywel Morgan for reminding me to take care of the much-needed business.)
Bryan Jackson

Post by Bryan Jackson »

Name: Bryan Jackson
Other aliases: gameshowmaster, themountainclimber
Other websites of interest: google.com, tasteofawesome.com, golden-road.net, explosm.net
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Bryan Jackson wrote:Other websites of interest: google.com, tasteofawesome.com, golden-road.net, explosm.net
That list reads like someone just googled "watersports" and went in the wrong direction.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi Bryan!

Welcome here!

I had no idea you were that young and also I had no idea your name sounded that familiar to me. I never thought that someone else could be interested in one international institution that is so different from another!

I hope you enjoy it here!
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Hello. My name is Mark, and you may recognise me as the miserable one from Countdown. I am not miserable really, but this has become my Countdown legacy, and thus I might as well pander to it. I am 26 for at least a little bit longer yet, and I am the biggest basketball nerd in Britain. (I am also the only basketball nerd in Britain.) I am looking to meet a girl with a good sense of humour, and hopefully no sense of smell. The ideal candidate for this position will be stunning and generous with at least a 8.9 rating on Hot Or Not, and at least five years minimum of experience on cohabiting with dull people. Candidate may need to travel. This does not affect your statutory rights. Buy early to avoid disappointment.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
kieranbray
Rookie

Post by kieranbray »

Mark Deeks wrote:Hello. My name is Mark, and you may recognise me as the miserable one from Countdown. I am not miserable really, but this has become my Countdown legacy, and thus I might as well pander to it. I am 26 for at least a little bit longer yet, and I am the biggest basketball nerd in Britain. (I am also the only basketball nerd in Britain.) I am looking to meet a girl with a good sense of humour, and hopefully no sense of smell. The ideal candidate for this position will be stunning and generous with at least a 8.9 rating on Hot Or Not, and at least five years minimum of experience on cohabiting with dull people. Candidate may need to travel. This does not affect your statutory rights. Buy early to avoid disappointment.
Hi Mark, welcome to the forums :) My gut feeling is that you may be waiting a while on the girl front....

P.S. I must say you're one of my favourite contestants for an extremely long time. Possibly ever.
Had to say it, sorry :oops:
Jordan Leckonby

Post by Jordan Leckonby »

Im Jordan Leckonby, 25, from London. Been on apterous for a while, hoped to get good enough to go on countdown one day but my level has never really improved, so i'll stick with watching on tv.
kieranbray
Rookie

Post by kieranbray »

Welcome Brian, and welcome Jordan :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi Jordan!

Welcome!

By the way, Bryan, if I were you I wouldn't use such harsh words to describe how Mark Deeks beat you.

Also, Mark, welcome to the forum to you too!
Milosz Meller

Post by Milosz Meller »

Hi everyone!
I'm Miłosz Meller, I'm 18 and I live in Poznań, Poland. I've seen my first episode of "Des Chiffres et des Lettres" about 15 years ago and enjoyed watching it from time to time, even when I didn't speak French yet. At least there were number games, which I was sometimes able to solve. ;) Few years later I've learnt about "Countdown" and watched some episodes on YouTube. And finally, few days ago, I found this forum and Apterous. It's great, but it would be even better with a Polish dictionary - I would finally be able to get over 100 points in a 15 Rounder! ;)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi Milosz!

Welcome!

You speak very good English!
Milosz Meller

Post by Milosz Meller »

Thank you! :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

It's always a pleasure to give complements Milosz!
Barry Bridger

Post by Barry Bridger »

Hi everyone. I've finally got around to activating this account!

I've only been watching Countdown regularly for a couple of years, but am hooked on it and then joined Apterous in April 2010. During that time my rating has steadily improved, and my plan is to appear on the show around autumn 2012 after I've finished studying for my Counselling Diploma. By then I hope to be really good, but at the moment I still miss a lot of easy words and am a bit slow on conundrums.

I'm 38 years old and I spent 21 years working for Royal Mail, but now I am a full time carer for my son who has Autism and ADHD.

Hmm what else to write.....I feel like I'm writing a profile for Plenty Of Fish!!!

Any questions, feel free to ask.

:D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Barry, what took you so long to join us?

In any event I'm glad you're here!
Last edited by Jason Larsen on Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jason Larsen wrote:Barry, what took you so long to join us?

In any even't I'm glad you're here!
In any eve not I am glad you are here as well.
Barry Bridger

Post by Barry Bridger »

Hi Jason,

I had a bit of trouble activating my account when I first registered, and have only just got around to emailing Charlie about it, so that I can compete in the autumn tournament.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Good for you Barry!

I hope to hear nothing but good things about that!
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Hi Countdowners, I'm Jack, 18 years old from Blackpool, north west England.

I started watching Countdown regularly when I was about 7 (even though I was useless at it then :) ). I then watched irregularly until April this year and I haven't missed an episode since. I'm also an apterite and it's been great to play against great players, including former contestants.

Other than Countdwn, I a huge football fan, supporting Chelsea (which can be very frustrating at times ;) ).

It's great to be a part of the forum.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jack Worsley wrote: from Blackpool, supporting Chelsea
Huh?

Oh, and welcome!
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi Jack!

Welcome! I'm glad you joined us!

Kai Laddiman would like you!
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

Cheers guys. Why would Kai like me, Jason?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Jack, Kai would like you because he is a supporter of Chelsea Football Club also.
Peter McNamara

Post by Peter McNamara »

Hi - I'm Peter, longtime fan of Countdown but rubbish armchair player (ie rubbish player of Countdown while watching at home - "armchair player" is not some bizarre musical or sporting skill I can lay claim to).

Although I have always liked Countdown, I have particularly enjoyed the programme in the Jeff & Rachel era especially since they settled in and Jeff's comments to Rachel morphed from leering landlord to teasing uncle.

Possibly my best word spot was BENTONITE in Jimmy and Hamish's semi final a few series ago which I saw as a possible with two letters still to come, which they duly did. It would have been rubbish if I'd missed it having spent six months working on a building site where bentonite was used every day in the construction of foundations. Having said that, I frequently miss Countdown staples like leotard and pantiles.

Thanks very much to Charlie and everyone else who makes this forum a fun place to visit.
Charlie Hastings

Post by Charlie Hastings »

Ahoy there, I'm Charlie from Portsmouth and I'm not in the navy.

Apart from Countdown, the only other must-watch programmes at my place are Only Connect, Merlin and Dr Who. Everything else is optional.

My big success was getting VENERATES one day, when DC got less (can't think what now), and have no idea when it was FWIW.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Hastings wrote:Ahoy there, I'm Charlie from Portsmouth and I'm not in the navy.

Apart from Countdown, the only other must-watch programmes at my place are Only Connect, Merlin and Dr Who. Everything else is optional.

My big success was getting VENERATES one day, when DC got less (can't think what now), and have no idea when it was FWIW.
Might it have been this game?[/James Robinson]
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi Charlie!

Welcome!
Charlie Hastings

Post by Charlie Hastings »

The timing is about right, so I think it probably was, Gavin. Well found!

I also beat DC quite recently with JABIRU...
Rose Boyle

Post by Rose Boyle »

Hi, I'm Rose, from Dublin, and will be appearing on Countdown shortly. Just discovered this Countdown community - I'm very impressed!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Rose Boyle wrote:Hi, I'm Rose, from Dublin, and will be appearing on Countdown shortly. Just discovered this Countdown community - I'm very impressed!
Hello, I trust you've discovered Apterous too?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Rose Boyle

Post by Rose Boyle »

I have, also impressed! Just finding my way around it yet.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Hi, I'm Adam. I like Countdown and Edward McCullagh.

Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

You're forcing it too much, honestly. You'll never top mine and Graeme's bromance. We've even got ourselves a Brangelina name. We're team Greeks. And you're so jel it's ridic.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Andy flew over to Germany to see Dan - I think they're winning the bromance battle at the moment. Soz guys.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

FUCK YOU ALL. *picks up ball and leaves*
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Keith Walton

Post by Keith Walton »

H - i'm Keith and i only found the site a few weeks back and have just got round to registering. I don't anticipate posting regularly (but that may change). I appeared on the programme in November.
Kevin Steede

Post by Kevin Steede »

Hi, I'm Kevin. I've been floating around Apterous for a few months trying to improve and crawl my way up the ratings. I'm 22, originally from the west of Ireland, but now studying in Plymouth. I'm considering applying for the show in future but I'd like to get more skilled before doing so. I like reading, hiking, wasting time looking at internet memes, and the Big Bang Theory.

Bring on the rest of the 30th Birthday Championship! So far it's been amazing.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

In the absence of the Welcomer-in-Chief (Jason Larsen), I'd just like to say welcome to Keith and Kevin. I hope you enjoy sharing in the Countdown community - now is a great time to get involved, what with the 30th Birthday Championship attracting some of the all-time greats to this forum and to apterous.

Edit: Not sure what compelled me to use italics there; it looks odd.

Kevin Steede

Post by Kevin Steede »

Cheers Adam, and good luck in the Championship (I don't know if you've recorded yet, so retroactive luck if so!).
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Hi everyone

My name is Anthony Endsor. I was a contestant in series 53 back in 2005.

Some of you will already know me as I used to post quite regularly on countdown forums about that time. I was already registered to this site, and I've just looked and it's 5 years since I last looked on here. Where has the time gone?

Well I'm back now, hoping to go to COLIN this Saturday weather and time permitting. Happy days are here again :-)
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Nice to see a familiar name/face. Welcome back!
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Kevin Steede wrote:Hi, I'm Kevin. I've been floating around Apterous for a few months trying to improve and crawl my way up the ratings. I'm 22, originally from the west of Ireland, but now studying in Plymouth. I'm considering applying for the show in future but I'd like to get more skilled before doing so. I like reading, hiking, wasting time looking at internet memes, and the Big Bang Theory.
Wait... the show, or the thing?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Adam Gillard wrote:Edit: Not sure what compelled me to use italics there; it looks odd.
Phil Reynolds must be rubbing off on you.
Kevin Steede

Post by Kevin Steede »

Johnny Canuck wrote:
Kevin Steede wrote:Hi, I'm Kevin. I've been floating around Apterous for a few months trying to improve and crawl my way up the ratings. I'm 22, originally from the west of Ireland, but now studying in Plymouth. I'm considering applying for the show in future but I'd like to get more skilled before doing so. I like reading, hiking, wasting time looking at internet memes, and the Big Bang Theory.
Wait... the show, or the thing?
The show. I think there was a suggestion of Sheldon Cooper as a character in Dictionary Corner on Apterous. That would be great!
Mark Murphy

Post by Mark Murphy »

Evenin' all.

I'm Mark Murphy, best known for getting WANKER in my first game in January last year.
I was happy to have just avoided Jack Worsley in the preliminaries, only to come up against him in the quarter final!

Had a great time on Countdown. I suspect I won't be asked back unless they do a special on people who have made rude words... Unless I get my arse into gear and start practicing on Apterous. :)
"Cigarettes are very like weasels - perfectly harmless unless you put one in your mouth and try to set fire to it."
Boothby Graffoe
Neil Bellers

Truly impressive: I'm sure of it....

Post by Neil Bellers »

From Neil B: Regretfully it has taken me so long to discover this tremendous post-match analysis online, considering that I have been watching Countdown for years.
A real privilege to watch Jack with his 143 score, and thanks to Conor for his ‘not written down’ joke. :lol:
I needed cheering up as I have been watching recently before going to visit my Dad in hospital every day; soon hoping to get back to our regular Scrabble matches if he feels able (he is 83).

Remember the delightfully “Elastic” Loz Sands in 2001? Maybe she was the most cheerful, and had the cheek to (be the first to?) wave to the camera and the audience.

In her quiet way, Heather was really admirable and it took nerves of kryptonite for her to start writing the letters out during the December crucial semi-final conundrum, when such a good opponent was very likely to be about to buzz-in any second. Time was stationary in her ‘zone’, or stationery in her case(publishing). According to www.apterous.org/cdb/ H. has the honour of being the latest winner this time in the list of champions…?….and going back over the years, the emotion of CV’s last appearance has affected the score for the final of series 59 at www.apterous.org/cdb/series.php?series=59 Charlie Reams is shown as the winner by 88-84 in the central column… Of course, he is one of the moderators / recappers, so why not give him an ongoing moment of glory…and certainly an achievement to be proud of, getting to the final. Sorry about “aliener”… is it in the dictionary by now? That OXFORD one, against a Light Blue contestant?

In fact, those two December 2012 semis were truly tremendous and well done to everyone involved. Ro-Bo, best of the west, nearly made it to the top but PaJama is the worthy overall champ. While he is in a good mood, is there any chance of him writing his own recap for his previous appearance?
“Wednesday 29 April 1998.
C1: Champion Ged Hayes (2 wins, 113 points.)
C2: Challenger Paul James.
DC: Mark Nyman and Toyah Willcox.
CV: Carol Vorderman.”

Most times with the letters challenges, I am strictly an observer who feels as if the thirty seconds is over in three seconds, before I even have my brain into gear (I am now 53 yo and past my peak, which was probably even before Countdown began!).
I feel slightly more comfortable with the numbers, now and again, and I give myself a ‘bonus’ biscuit from the tin at home if I can use all six numbers which does liven up the ‘easier’ selections, eg. First December semi, round ten: 423. (2+3)x75=375; add (2x4x6) 48: is that right, PJ?

Can the rules be clarified if one of the top contenders is somehow going to be personally unavailable for any more recordings? Should they be invited back for another chance? Yes.
Thanks for the superb Countdown coverage, and congrats also to all at the C4 studios.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

That's possibly the best first post ever Neil, thank you.
Peter Fenton
Rookie

Post by Peter Fenton »

Unfortunately, I can't really compete with Neil's first post above.

I''ve been using Apterous since about mid-November now and passed an audition in January to appear on the show. Received a phone call last week asking if I'd like to be a reserve contestant for next Monday (18.2). I should probably be frantically practising right now but have reconciled myself with the fact that I'm not likely to make much improvement in a week, so I'm trying to take a kind of c'est la vie attitude. Will no doubt be crapping myself if/when I get into the chair!

Have been thoroughly enjoying the scarily high standard of the 30th anniversary series so far - they've been some great games so far and can't wait to see the latter stages :)
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Hi all.

This is my first post on here, looks like a very nice forum, loads of 'Countdown Celebs' and I must admit, a few of my favourite contestants post on here, so I'm keen to interact.

I've been watching the show since I was at Primary school (more-or-less when it stated), I record it every day and watch nearly every episode - although I do run it through the picking process!

I've complied an all-time ranking list which I’m going to post shortly; I hope it's received well.

I'm absolutely addicted to this 30th Birthday Series 68, and it's what has inspired me to collate the ranking list.

Thanks for letting me on...

Dave
Crewe
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Dave Preece wrote:I've complied an all-time ranking list which I’m going to post shortly; I hope it's received well.
My kind of guy.
I'm absolutely addicted to this 30th Birthday Series 68, and it's what has inspired me to collate the ranking list.
Are you going to do another one when it finishes?
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

DEFO Gev x
Arthur Bennett

Post by Arthur Bennett »

Forgot you had to post here first... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Anyway, hi everybody! :D ;)

My name is Arthur Bennett, and I'm from Broadstairs on the east Kent coast. And I've been following Channel 4's first programme in one way or another for all but the first four of my 27 years.

I've visited this great site many times, yet only now - with the show on its fifth host, with Rachel into her fifth year, and with the 30th Birthday Championship entering its final week - have I got the urge to join it.

Away from Countdown, I like the Simpsons (well, mostly the first nine seasons) and South Park. My favourite sports are darts and snooker. I much prefer to listen to classical music rather than (the vast majority of) the stuff that makes the Top 40 these days. And I'm still looking for Mrs Right - naturally long dark hair, curves, a bubbly personality... ;)
"The atmosphere is so tense, if Elvis walked in with a portion of chips, you could hear the vinegar sizzle on them." - Sid Waddell 1940-2012
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

You probably won't find her here. It's mostly a sausage fest. But hello anyway!
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Arthur Bennett wrote:And I'm still looking for Mrs Right
Philanderer Image
Albert Tatlock

Post by Albert Tatlock »

Hi Guys - Thought I'd join the forum - have loved Countdown from the original 'Calendar Countdown' days - love the words but maybe not the medical chemical ones. Have an audition in a few weeks - hope the nerves do not let me down. Richard Gammon - but henceforth I'll be Albert :)
Grant Waters
Acolyte

Post by Grant Waters »

Welcome Albert - it is a shame the filming has moved up to Salford as you would have felt right at home in the Granada TV studio canteen, with pictures of Hilda Ogden and co all round the place! ;)
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Hi - I've been following Countdown on and off since the early days but sort of lost interest when Richard Whiteley died. As I've had some time on my hands recently I decided to catch up with the show again. Unbeknownst to me I started watching in the middle of the 30th birthday championship and thought "bloody hell, the standard's gone up a lot in the last few years!" Now that the "mortals" are playing again I can just about keep pace with them ;)

I had no idea that such a community had built around the show and have enjoyed reading many of the threads here. Hope I can contribute something of interest.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Welcome dude, impressive if you can keep up with this Giles guy too.
Guy Barry
Acolyte

Post by Guy Barry »

Well, I matched his nine-letter word today and got the numbers game that neither contestant got, so I'm not feeling too bad about my performance. I think I'd still have been soundly thrashed though! Annoyingly, 4oD (on which I usually watch the show) was playing up today and hung several times, as well as cutting off the last two rounds entirely, so I couldn't play along properly. Sod's Law for my first playing day on the forum. Hope normal service is resumed tomorrow.