Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jennifer McElroy wrote:AnnieHall wrote:
I think it's a shame that they don't ask if a member of the audience knows the conundrum, when it's not guessed by the contestants, they used to win a mug for that, I believe
Well it is a shame..Never mind "Yawn"..I for one can't be bothered to read through all of the previous posts to see whether something has been said before.
We have never seen the audience in this new series. Is there one?
I still think it is a shame too, that we don't see the word after it has been said bcontestants. I don't hear them if they mumble, so don't get the word quite often these days. It is important too I think for the younger viewers to see the word displayed. Is Rachel not quick enough?
Sits back and waits for "Yawn".
It's not about yawns. It's about searching the forum and realising that this query has been answered more times than you can count (on your hands) (presuming you have no more than ten digits).
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

I think it's a shame that they don't ask if a member of the audience knows the conundrum, when it's not guessed by the contestants, they used to win a mug for that, I believe
Well it is a shame..Never mind "Yawn"..I for one can't be bothered to read through all of the previous posts to see whether something has been said before.
We have never seen the audience in this new series. Is there one?
I still think it is a shame too, that we don't see the word after it has been said bcontestants. I don't hear them if they mumble, so don't get the word quite often these days. It is important too I think for the younger viewers to see the word displayed. Is Rachel not quick enough?
Sits back and waits for "Yawn".
I'd hate to disappoint a newish member.

YAWN

Er, welcome and have fun.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Welcome!

Your second wish will be granted:
Kate Horton wrote:By w/c 23rd Feb, you will see Rachel putting a winning/interesting word up on the board for almost every round - and in some cases TWO words! :shock:
[This post was such a success the first time that I'm giving it a second airing.]
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

You're actually starting to scare me a little bit now Charlie :)
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Welcome!
Your second wish will be granted:
Kate Horton wrote:By w/c 23rd Feb, you will see Rachel putting a winning/interesting word up on the board for almost every round - and in some cases TWO words! :shock:
[This post was such a success the first time that I'm giving it a second airing.]
I look forward to the hat trick! :mrgreen: Take the top 10 most common questions / comments, and put the answers in your signature, Charlie. ;) Or maybe 10 of the most regular posters can take one each. :idea:

Welcome to all the new people from me too. :D
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:Take the top 10 most common questions / comments, and put the answers in your signature, Charlie. ;)
Or better still, put them in a special area of the site to which newbies could be directed when they register and instructed to look there first before posting questions. It could be called something like "Commonly Asked Questions" or CAQ. Maybe in time other sites will copy this brilliant idea!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Lesley Jeavons wrote:Take the top 10 most common questions / comments, and put the answers in your signature, Charlie. ;)
Or better still, put them in a special area of the site to which newbies could be directed when they register and instructed to look there first before posting questions. It could be called something like "Commonly Asked Questions" or CAQ. Maybe in time other sites will copy this brilliant idea!
Or possibly Commonly Offered Questions, or COQ for short.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Ah, but would people read them? My way, they'd be emblazoned everywhere - like subliminal advertising. :geek:
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

But Frequently Asked Questions almost sounds rude! Especially if you're directing a newbie, "FAQ, you!" :D
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

But "I don't like Rachel's dress" is not a question, and people would still feel compelled to keep telling us about it even if we included it in an FAQ which in any case they wouldn't read.
Kate Richardson
Rookie

Post by Kate Richardson »

am i the only one who stays up late ?
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Hannah O wrote:Especially if you're directing a newbie, "FAQ, you!" :D
Nah, Charlie'd never go THAT far. :lol:

Muttered it under his breath a few times though, I'm sure. :twisted: ;)
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Kate Richardson wrote:am i the only one who stays up late ?
Evidently.
We'll have to find you a buddy on a different time zone for late night conversing.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:
Evidently.
We'll have to find you a buddy on a different time zone for late night conversing.
Jason Larsen might be able to.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

I tend to stay up late at weekends and holidays! I think I went to bed at 4am or so last night.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Charlie Reams wrote:But "I don't like Rachel's dress" is not a question, and people would still feel compelled to keep telling us about it even if we included it in an FAQ which in any case they wouldn't read.
You're not looking at it from the right perspective, it could work-

Q. What if I don't like Rachel's dress?
A1. We don't care.
A2. No one cares.
A3. Yawn.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Not to suggest that you aren't covering all the possibilities, Ben, but don't forget A4, something complimentary about her dress! Because she has quite a nice fashion sense, unless it's the wardrobe department dressing her. In that case, they have a nice fashion sense.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Certainly up to now, I think she has better dress sense than Carol, wardrobe depatment or not!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

I do often as well from working at Domino's. Do you like to play Apterous late at night as well? :)
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Certainly up to now, I think she has better dress sense than Carol, wardrobe depatment or not!
"Ratings rise with new 'Countdown' pair"

Am I the only one that finds this headline a little ambiguous?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Martin Gardner wrote:
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Certainly up to now, I think she has better dress sense than Carol, wardrobe depatment or not!
"Ratings rise with new 'Countdown' pair"

Am I the only one that finds this headline a little ambiguous?

So who was it who asked Carol for two of her big ones?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Everyone's been going fairly hard on newbies and people with different opinions recently. I think we need to order a megadose of chill pills.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Kai Laddiman wrote:Everyone's been going fairly hard on newbies and people with different opinions recently. I think we need to order a megadose of chill pills.
Well said young man.
Jennifer McElroy

Post by Jennifer McElroy »

Well said Kai.
Patience is the name of the game here. When you have threads of 17 pages. and a lot of quotes, requotes and chat to wade through, it is inevitable that you will get the same points repeated frequently. I certainly didn't read all of the pages, or too many of the other threads either, and a thread with "Often Asked Questions" could be a useful addition to the site.
Dominic Colley

Post by Dominic Colley »

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, so go easy!! This has probably been answered on the forum before, but my baby is doing her best to distract me!

I had my audition today and just wanted to know how well you have to do in the audition to get on the show. And how long after the audition do you get the letter?

Cheers,
Dom
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Dominic Colley wrote:This has probably been answered on the forum before, but my baby is doing her best to distract me!
Yep. ;)
Dominic Colley wrote:I had my audition today and just wanted to know how well you have to do in the audition to get on the show. And how long after the audition do you get the letter?

Cheers,
Dom
Hi Dom

Welcome to c4c! :) I got my 'the letter' (which is actually still pinned to my corkboard on my right) less than a week after my audition, so if I had to guess, I'd say you'll get yours next Thursday at the very latest. As for form, well... there's no definite 'score', it's more based on how many words you didn't see. If you spotted the longest word available or were only one off every round you'll be flying.
Dominic Colley

Post by Dominic Colley »

Thanks for quick reply! :D

I'm glad they are quick with the letters as otherwise it would be cruel! I think I did okay, so it's just fingers crossed for the next few days :!:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Dominic Colley wrote:Thanks for quick reply! :D

I'm glad they are quick with the letters as otherwise it would be cruel! I think I did okay, so it's just fingers crossed for the next few days :!:
Welcome, and let us know how it goes!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Welcome to all the new forumites who have joined over the past few weeks :)
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

Dominic Colley wrote:Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, so go easy!! This has probably been answered on the forum before, but my baby is doing her best to distract me!

I had my audition today and just wanted to know how well you have to do in the audition to get on the show. And how long after the audition do you get the letter?

Cheers,
Dom

Blumming 'eck, Dominic, give me chance! I promise I will get 'the letter' in the post today. Good luck.. ;)
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Dominic Colley wrote:Hi everyone,

Cheers,
Dom
Welcome to the forum - let us know when you get 'the letter'.
:)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Dominic Colley

Post by Dominic Colley »

Charlie Reams wrote:

I got the letter today and........... I was successful! :D (Thanks Kate!)

However, I think if I come up against anyone like Neil who is on at the moment, then I will be like a lamb to the slaughter. :roll: Where do all you octochamps/ winners/ champions of champions/ finalists/ mega-brains go to learn your words? Or is it simply a good old page of the dictionary each night?!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

My first reply to the introduction thread in quite some time!

Welcome, Dominic! I hope you enjoy it here!
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Dominic Colley wrote:

However, I think if I come up against anyone like Neil who is on at the moment, then I will be like a lamb to the slaughter. :roll: Where do all you octochamps/ winners/ champions of champions/ finalists/ mega-brains go to learn your words? Or is it simply a good old page of the dictionary each night?!
Read the forums, you'll soon find out - and be amazed!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Dominic Colley wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:

Step 1. Go to http://www.apterous.org
Step 2. Become awesome
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Dominic Colley wrote:
Congratulations, Dominic! :)

What Dinos said: practice on apterous is the way to go.
And don't be put off if your rating is way lower than the top players. They're on a different planet. :lol:
You could still be teapot material at a much lower level.
As you say, though, it very much depends on who you come up against on the day.

Good luck!
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Julie T wrote:You could still be teapot material
Homophobic! Reported.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Jon Corby wrote:
Julie T wrote:You could still be teapot material
Homophobic! Reported.
LOL! :lol:

And you didn't even notice: "it very much depends on who you come up against" ;)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Dominic Colley

Post by Dominic Colley »

Thanks for the advice guys. I have just found apterous this last week, so hopefully that will keep me in training for the teapot. It is a great game for Countdown fans.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Dominic Colley wrote:I got the letter today and........... I was successful! :D (Thanks Kate!)

Welcome to the forum Dominic and congratulations on passing your audition :).
Last edited by Joseph Bolas on Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Dominic Colley wrote:I got the letter today and........... I was successful! :D (Thanks Kate!)

Welcome to the forum Dominic and congratulations on pssing your audition :).
Damnit Bolas! 1,001st reply to thread from me. :(

Hello all!

EDIT: Actually, I apologise, this is the 1,001st post but the 1,000th reply. Woohoo! *runs round with pants on head*
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Ian Volante wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:

Welcome to the forum Dominic and congratulations on pssing your audition :).
Damnit Bolas! 1,001st reply to thread from me. :(

Hello all!
If it makes you feel better, Joseph got the 1000th post, but you got the 1000th reply. ;)

To keep on topic: Good luck on the show Dominic and well done on passing the audition. I wouldn't worry too much about who you face, as long as you do as well as you can do you can't have any regrets. And who knows, on the day, you may perform better than everyone.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Welcome to the forum Dominic and congratulations on pssing your audition :).
Auditions aren't that nerve-wracking, surely?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Welcome to all fairly new members here!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Welcome to the forum Dominic and congratulations on pssing your audition :).
Auditions aren't that nerve-wracking, surely?
That was just a simple typo :P

Though you never know, the audition could be nerve-wracking for some :P
Paul Hammond
Rookie

Post by Paul Hammond »

Hello all,

I'm another one of those lapsed Countdown fans who has rediscovered the show recently. Thanks to shameless on-air plugging from certain contestants, I have also discovered this board, and I'm glad I did.
I have also become hooked on Apterous like a crack addict (to other Apterites, if I seem uncommunicative there, it is merely because I can't get the damn chat thing to work). As someone who considered himself a pretty good armchair Countdown player, especially on the numbers game, this has been a humbling experience.

Anyway, I don't really know what you're supposed to say in an Introducing Me post, so I thought I'd just throw out some random things that I am into at the moment, in no particular order:

- learning the German language
- composing cryptic crossword clues
- learning bluegrass guitar
- the TV show Ellery Queen

Damn, I thought there'd be more than that. That list makes me look like a weirdo. I'm not, I'm really nice and normal. Anyway, I look forward to shooting the Countdown-related breeze with all of you in future.

I am not related to Phil Hammond, or affiliated with the Phil Hammond TM entertainment empire in any way.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Welcome Paul. You'll fit in a treat, I can tell.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Welcome to the forum Paul.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Paul!

Welcome to the forum!

I think it must be a coincidence that you like Countdown, but you are welcome to post here!

I hope you enjoy it!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Welcome to the forum, Paul! :)

Entering numbers rounds on apterous takes some getting used to, so I wouldn't assume that you're worse than you thought.
Have you tried practice mode where you don't have a timer going when you're entering the calculations?

Hope you enjoy the threads, and I agree that you're first post shows definite fitting-in promise! 8-)
Paul Hammond
Rookie

Post by Paul Hammond »

Julie T wrote:Welcome to the forum, Paul! :)

Entering numbers rounds on apterous takes some getting used to, so I wouldn't assume that you're worse than you thought.
Have you tried practice mode where you don't have a timer going when you're entering the calculations?

Hope you enjoy the threads, and I agree that you're first post shows definite fitting-in promise! 8-)
Thanks Julie and the rest of you for the welcome.

Yeah, I have new-found respect for people who play the show for real. Even playing on Apterous, my heart is pumping during the numbers games! I used to roll my eyes when they missed easy numbers games on TV, but now I realise that anything that gets you points is good. I'm getting used to the user interface, but I didn't appreciate how much harder it is when you actually have to demonstrate your solution at the end of the 30 seconds rather than just saying "oh yeah, I got that." I have coughed up my donation, so now I can get the necessary practice in.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You're welcome, Paul!
mikehunter

Post by mikehunter »

Hi everyone

I've been a Countdown enthusiast from the beginning. I even remember when Carol Vorderman only did the numbers, and there was a dolly-bird for the letters. After Richard 'twice nightly' Whitely left us, I coped with the other presenters.

Ch4 were daft to get rid of Vorderman, even though I didn't have much sympathy for her money ads.

The new presenters have completely lost me. A fitba presenter and a simpering beanpole.

This will probably be moderated out, but I don't care. I don't watch any more.

Mike
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Mike!

Welcome to the forum!

It's ok, you can discuss Countdown from years gone by here!

I hope you enjoy posting!
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

mikehunter wrote:Hi everyone

I've been a Countdown enthusiast from the beginning. I even remember when Carol Vorderman only did the numbers, and there was a dolly-bird for the letters. After Richard 'twice nightly' Whitely left us, I coped with the other presenters.

Ch4 were daft to get rid of Vorderman, even though I didn't have much sympathy for her money ads.

The new presenters have completely lost me. A fitba presenter and a simpering beanpole.

Mike
What a puzzling first post Mike, but welcome all the same! It took years for Richard & Carol to make the show what it is today, a fun game that the viewers can fully particpate in (Colour of Money take note)! Have you watched the first episode again and any from the first few years? Stodgy and boring come to mind and the show wouldn't last these days if presented like that. The viewing figures have gone up since Jeff and Rachel took over and the public generally seem to like them but there will obviously be exceptions and you seem to be one. I think Rachel is perfect for the show and Jeff is very nearly there. What is puzzling though Mike is why join this forum if you have stopped watching the show? The new presenters have been with us nearly two months now so you seemed to have taken a while to decide you didn't like them!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mike
Hang around for a while, we'll grow on you even if the show doesn't.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Matt Morrison wrote:Welcome Paul.
Joseph Bolas wrote:Welcome to the forum Paul.
Jason Larsen wrote:Hi, Paul!

Welcome to the forum!
Jason Larsen wrote:You're welcome, Paul!
Oh, this is just unbelievable. :evil: Welcome to the forum, Paul Hammond.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Paul Howe wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Welcome Paul.
Joseph Bolas wrote:Welcome to the forum Paul.
Jason Larsen wrote:Hi, Paul!

Welcome to the forum!
Jason Larsen wrote:You're welcome, Paul!
Oh, this is just unbelievable. :evil: Welcome to the forum, Paul Hammond.
Glad you're a member of the forum, Paul Howe! ;)
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Charlie Reams wrote:

Mike
Hang around for a while, we'll grow on you even if the show doesn't.
Seconded, and welcome, Mike, and hope the new presenters grow on you too.
Are you mellowing in your old age, Charlie? :lol:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Julie T wrote: Are you mellowing in your old age, Charlie? :lol:
I like to give people as many chances as possible to realise that I'm right about everything.