Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by AnnieHall »

I think it's a shame that they don't ask if a member of the audience knows the conundrum, when it's not guessed by the contestants, they used to win a mug for that, I believe?
Maybe it's the second cost-cutting move (After getting rid of carol, of course!) :P
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

AnnieHall wrote:I think it's a shame that they don't ask if a member of the audience knows the conundrum, when it's not guessed by the contestants, they used to win a mug for that, I believe?
Maybe it's the second cost-cutting move (After getting rid of carol, of course!) :P
Yawn.
janetclark

Post by janetclark »

Hi. My name is Jan Clark and I had the honour of being a contestant on the last series that Richard Whiteley presided over. I lost on a crucual conundrum to a future octochamp (Judith) having had a 9-letter word disallowed. Should have stuck with the 8! Am really enjoying reading all the chat. :lol: To hopeful future contestants: don't be disheartened if you fail an audition. It took me 3 attempts, and was definitey worth the anguish!
Nicky
Rookie

Post by Nicky »

Hi folks, I'm Nicky. I used to watch Countdown in the late 80s and early 90s after school with my mum. I'd leave the room when the conundrum was on, because I never got it in time and this was before videos, so there was never the option to pause!

I rediscovered the show when I had my son. (I needed the TV on to keep myself awake when feeding him in the early hours - there isn't a whole lot of U-rated TV on at that time, and I quickly got hooked again.) One of his very first words was 'clock', pointing excitedly at the opening credits. He doesn't manage to say the 'l' sound though.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Nicky wrote:One of his very first words was 'clock', pointing excitedly at the opening credits. He doesn't manage to say the 'l' sound though.
Are you sure it wasn't when Charlie was on?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Nicky wrote:One of his very first words was 'clock', pointing excitedly at the opening credits. He doesn't manage to say the 'l' sound though.
Are you sure it wasn't when Charlie was on?
Harsh 110-76. but fair.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Charlie Reams wrote:
AnnieHall wrote:I think it's a shame that they don't ask if a member of the audience knows the conundrum, when it's not guessed by the contestants, they used to win a mug for that, I believe?
Yawn.
It's true though, it is a shame.

Still, people should really do an exhaustive check first (to see if their opinion has already been aired elsewhere) before expressing themselves... right Charlie? ;)
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

Oh is that why? Apologies if it was previously mentioned- too much forum to scroll through! (I only joined a week ago!)
AnnieHall
Acolyte

Post by AnnieHall »

Have you ever visited the BBC "Points of View" forum? Posters are always opening new posts about the same programme! Scrolling down takes ages, though (It's a very busy forum) and it's about all TV- not just BBC (Quite a few Countdown Threads on it)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

AnnieHall wrote:Oh is that why? Apologies if it was previously mentioned- too much forum to scroll through! (I only joined a week ago!)
It's not so much that is has been previously mentioned (lots of things come up several times) but that the cool clique that have been on Countdown understand how the show works and why the change was made and any questioning of it needs to be mocked in some way. That's fucking right and you know it Charlie!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
AnnieHall wrote:Oh is that why? Apologies if it was previously mentioned- too much forum to scroll through! (I only joined a week ago!)
It's not so much that is has been previously mentioned (lots of things come up several times) but that the cool clique that have been on Countdown understand how the show works and why the change was made and any questioning of it needs to be mocked in some way. That's fucking right and you know it Charlie!
I think if you're going to accompany your opinion with snarky remarks about cost-cutting then you should make sure you know what you're talking about. Still I guess it's easier to believe in THE CLIQUE than to consider that maybe people who know what they're talking about would just arrive at the same conclusion.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:I think if you're going to accompany your opinion with snarky remarks about cost-cutting then you should make sure you know what you're talking about. Still I guess it's easier to believe in THE CLIQUE than to consider that maybe people who know what they're talking about would just arrive at the same conclusion.
The clique comment was a sort of joke as I've seen others bring it up before, but I do think that it's quite reasonable for someone not in the know to wonder why they don't do it any more without being yawned at. (I know it's come up before but that's been mentioned.)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:The clique comment was a sort of joke as I've seen others bring it up before, but I do think that it's quite reasonable for someone not in the know to wonder why they don't do it any more without being yawned at. (I know it's come up before but that's been mentioned.)
It's lucky then that we have such knights in shining armour as yourself!

Maybe I was unnecessarily dismissive, but I feel a bit of n00b bashing normally helps people fit in here in the long run.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:It's lucky then that we have such knights in shining armour as yourself!
OK, so I look like a twat again? :P
Maybe I was unnecessarily dismissive, but I feel a bit of n00b bashing normally helps people fit in here in the long run.
Maybe I'll give it a go then.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

There are so many posts here it's almost impossible to ensure you don't say something that hasn't already been said, but surely I remember one of the not-a-clique-at-all-goodness-me-no saying that the audience shot was difficult to do, mikes a problem, whatever. That sounds like cost-cutting to me.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

David Williams wrote:There are so many posts here it's almost impossible to ensure you don't say something that hasn't already been said, but surely I remember one of the not-a-clique-at-all-goodness-me-no saying that the audience shot was difficult to do, mikes a problem, whatever. That sounds like cost-cutting to me.
Maybe it just didn't add enough to the programme to be worth the effort? Obviously it's great for some old biddy to win some crockery and to be smug on national telly, but when it comes down to it, haven't most of us switched off or turned over to see if Captain Caveman is on the other side? Yes, I do inhabit 1984.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Williams wrote:There are so many posts here it's almost impossible to ensure you don't say something that hasn't already been said, but surely I remember one of the not-a-clique-at-all-goodness-me-no saying that the audience shot was difficult to do, mikes a problem, whatever. That sounds like cost-cutting to me.
Then I can only assume that you don't understand the meaning of the phrase "cost-cutting".
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

It takes time. Time is money. Not doing it saves time. So it saves money.

Incidentally "cost-cutting" is not a phrase.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Williams wrote:It takes time. Time is money. Not doing it saves time. So it saves money.

Incidentally "cost-cutting" is not a phrase.
My sophistry-o-meter just broke.

(In case we're unclear, that means I win. Again.)
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

You've lost me. (Which, I guess, means you won. Again.)
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

David Williams wrote:Incidentally "cost-cutting" is not a phrase.
Hmm, well it's definitely not a doughnut either *confused*
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

A phrase has more than one word.
Nicky
Rookie

Post by Nicky »

David Williams wrote:A phrase has more than one word.
And cost-cutting, being hyphenated, does not count as one word...
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:The clique comment was a sort of joke as I've seen others bring it up before, but I do think that it's quite reasonable for someone not in the know to wonder why they don't do it any more without being yawned at. (I know it's come up before but that's been mentioned.)
It's lucky then that we have such knights in shining armour as yourself!
That it does! :o However, a simple point towards the thread where it was discussed previously surely would have sufficed as a reply. :roll: And that way noone would have to read post upon post of argy bargy like always, if we're that concerned about too much repetition...? :mrgreen: ;)
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

Hello.

I'm 26 and a life-long Countdown fan. I have long desired to appear on the show, but have always argued myself out of applying. I intend to join apterous to gauge my skills. Perhaps I shall this very eve.

I am unemployed. Would this work against me in the application process? It seems to me that there are far fewer unemployed people on television than there used to be, and I naturally put this down to some kind of television-sanitising conspiracy (although it may be that there were more intelligent people out of work under the Tories). (Note to self: You don't make friends with politics). I hope to return to university in the autumn to undertake a Masters.

Otherwise, I am a noise musician, (amateur) Scrabble enthusiast, and a reader.

Peace out.

x
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Stuart Arnot wrote:
I am unemployed. Would this work against me in the application process?
No.

Wlecome.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Stuart Arnot wrote:I am a noise musician
Mike Patton style? kid606?
Stuart Arnot
Acolyte

Post by Stuart Arnot »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Stuart Arnot wrote:I am a noise musician
Mike Patton style? kid606?
Not really. I do solo harsh noise and percussion improv. If you know Wolf Eyes, I guess that's the most popular comparison. Also, free improvised rock and jazz, in various ensembles. http://www.myspace.com/totalvermin is the myspace for my tape label.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Gary Male wrote:
Stuart Arnot wrote:
I am unemployed. Would this work against me in the application process?
No.

Welcome.
I was unemployed when I was on, and so was one of my opponents. So I don't think it's a massive problem. Re: Gevin and David's points, I think they're right that people do 'pile in' a bit quicker than they ought to do, but still that's basically forums for you! And it's fairly obvious to me that some people come here just to wind other people up, but they tend to leave quite quickly as well. Other people I think get treated a little harshly, as you say.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Roxanne
Rookie

Post by Roxanne »

My name's Roxanne and I'm a Countdownaholic. I finally realised that I had a problem when I found myself, pen in one hand and cup of tea in the other, screaming LEYLANDII at the TV.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Roxanne wrote:My name's Roxanne and I'm a Countdownaholic. I finally realised that I had a problem when I found myself, pen in one hand and cup of tea in the other, screaming LEYLANDII at the TV.
Wicked avatar. Welcome.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Roxanne wrote:My name's Roxanne and I'm a Countdownaholic. I finally realised that I had a problem when I found myself, pen in one hand and cup of tea in the other, screaming LEYLANDII at the TV.
Good avatar, shame about the conundrum.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Was it during an episode of Gardeners' World?
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

The clues are in the panel to the left - the name's there, and the thing stuck on the front of my face, below my nose, is a trumpet. I play it and teach it. I've also done things academic in music, and in my life as a herdsman became qualified to do artificial insemination (AI) on cows. I never worked out why they made a film about it.

I have a confession to make - I always practise the trumpet while watching Countdown. I do all the boring routine stuff while I watch, and encourage my pupils to do the same; it's good brain-training, and makes the routine enjoyable. Most of my pupils think I'm odd for playing scales and watching Countdown at the same time, but I don't care. They're probably right, anyway.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Brian Moore wrote:The clues are in the panel to the left - the name's there, and the thing stuck on the front of my face, below my nose, is a trumpet.
Welcome Brian. Phil Reynolds used to have a very similar-looking avatar by the way, until we lobbied him to change it.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Brian Moore wrote:I have a confession to make - I always practise the trumpet while watching Countdown. I do all the boring routine stuff while I watch, and encourage my pupils to do the same; it's good brain-training, and makes the routine enjoyable. Most of my pupils think I'm odd for playing scales and watching Countdown at the same time, but I don't care. They're probably right, anyway.
They guy who took sectionals when I was at music college on Saturdays had a similar approach, except replace trumpet with double bass and Countdown with cricket.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Why is James Whale voting me off on The Weakest Link?
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Nicky wrote:
David Williams wrote:A phrase has more than one word.
And cost-cutting, being hyphenated, does not count as one word...
Anything with more than nine letters in it doesn't count as a word in my world.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:Why is James Whale voting me off on The Weakest Link?
Because he doesn't want to risk ending up in the final with you and having you try to hug him at the end.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:I have a confession to make - I always practise the trumpet while watching Countdown. I do all the boring routine stuff while I watch, and encourage my pupils to do the same; it's good brain-training, and makes the routine enjoyable. Most of my pupils think I'm odd for playing scales and watching Countdown at the same time, but I don't care. They're probably right, anyway.
They guy who took sectionals when I was at music college on Saturdays had a similar approach, except replace trumpet with double bass and Countdown with cricket.
I'd guess it's harder to play double bass and cricket at the same time than trumpet & Countdown. It would be fun to watch though.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Jon Corby wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:The clues are in the panel to the left - the name's there, and the thing stuck on the front of my face, below my nose, is a trumpet.
Welcome Brian. Phil Reynolds used to have a very similar-looking avatar by the way, until we lobbied him to change it.
I hope I've removed the offensive bit.
caroline benson

Post by caroline benson »

I think there will be plenty of other unemployed people on Countdown in the coming months...
And it IS a pity about the mug. Wouldn't it be great to be the one to get it? "The young lady in the back, in the green top?" And the camera panning in, as with a quavering (but smug) voice I announce "Grumpiest", or whatever?
Another dream squashed.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Hello. I'm Clive and have been a Countdown fan for over 26 years. Today I posted my contestant application form.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Clive Brooker wrote:Hello. I'm Clive and have been a Countdown fan for over 26 years. Today I posted my contestant application form.
Welcome to the board. Hope you enjoy your audition and Countdown experience - I can guarantee this forum will make you enjoy it more.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Clive Brooker wrote:Hello. I'm Clive and have been a Countdown fan for over 26 years. Today I posted my contestant application form.
Impressive. Welcome!
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Wow, that's dedication! :) Welcome!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Hannah O wrote:Image

Wow, that's dedication! :) Welcome!
Haha, man you're 16 and yet you're more educated than me. I'm insulted.
Clive Brooker
Devotee

Post by Clive Brooker »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Impressive. Welcome!
Thanks. Some say I can be a little cautious.
Susan Goodall

Post by Susan Goodall »

Great to be welcomed to this new forum. I have watched Countdown since the beginning on and off. There's a couple of things about new version that I would like to raise. Firstly I don't think there is such a good rapport between Rachel and Jeff but this may grow. Also it would be helpful if the words that contestants and Susie Dent come up with are spelled out. As you get older you can miss the word or want to check the spelling.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Susan Goodall wrote:Great to be welcomed to this new forum. I have watched Countdown since the beginning on and off. There's a couple of things about new version that I would like to raise. Firstly I don't think there is such a good rapport between Rachel and Jeff but this may grow. Also it would be helpful if the words that contestants and Susie Dent come up with are spelled out. As you get older you can miss the word or want to check the spelling.
Welcome!

Your second wish will be granted:
Kate Horton wrote:By w/c 23rd Feb, you will see Rachel putting a winning/interesting word up on the board for almost every round - and in some cases TWO words! :shock:
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

*pats Charlie on the back* :D ;)
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:*pats Charlie on the back* :D ;)
....and he didn't even yawn.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:
Glad someone else noticed this! (though I wasn't gonna post just to patronisingly congratulate Charlie for not being rude to a noob for once!)
Still hoping we're not gonna see Charlie and Corby toned down permanently though.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:
Glad someone else noticed this! (though I wasn't gonna post just to patronisingly congratulate Charlie for not being rude to a noob for once!)
Still hoping we're not gonna see Charlie and Corby toned down permanently though.
Nor indeed that we lose Clare and Katherine
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Kirk: what? I'm sorry, it flew over my head!

Susan: I can't really say much as I don't watch it as often as I should, but in the episode I've watched I've noticed a rapport growing between them- Jeff asks Rachel about football, Rachel insults him and calls him old (indirectly! :)), and I can only see it getting better.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Hannah O wrote:Kirk: what? I'm sorry, it flew over my head!
Didn't you create that avatar with Phil and change the words? Quality.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Yeah, I copy-pasted the one that said Corby on and did an amateur job with paint :D
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Hannah O wrote:Kirk: what? I'm sorry, it flew over my head!
What, like this?

<--(the praise)--3--

--> you :) :?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jennifer McElroy

Post by Jennifer McElroy »

AnnieHall wrote:
I think it's a shame that they don't ask if a member of the audience knows the conundrum, when it's not guessed by the contestants, they used to win a mug for that, I believe
Well it is a shame..Never mind "Yawn"..I for one can't be bothered to read through all of the previous posts to see whether something has been said before.
We have never seen the audience in this new series. Is there one?
I still think it is a shame too, that we don't see the word after it has been said bcontestants. I don't hear them if they mumble, so don't get the word quite often these days. It is important too I think for the younger viewers to see the word displayed. Is Rachel not quick enough?
Sits back and waits for "Yawn".