Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
kevin manthorpe
Rookie

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by kevin manthorpe »

Hi folks. Not a frequent t'internet user so been spending my time trying to learn my way around here. Thanks for the tips on apterous i've received. Is there a help page for it, or should i just email charlie a few questions?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

kevin manthorpe wrote:Hi folks. Not a frequent t'internet user so been spending my time trying to learn my way around here. Thanks for the tips on apterous i've received. Is there a help page for it, or should i just email charlie a few questions?
Hey Kevin. Probably just better if you head on over to the apterous.org forum on this board and ask away, there'll usually be someone around to answer your query within minutes and Charlie's obviously a busy boy too :)
Not Gilad

Post by Not Gilad »

PLEASE DON'T POST SPOILERS. -The admin
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Gilad Schwartz wrote:PLEASE DON'T POST SPOILERS. -The admin
Was about to respond in semi-Corby fashion with:

Two options:
1) Cunt
2) A day late

but I guess I just got my answer. Fuck.
Not Gilad

Post by Not Gilad »

OK, something very strange just happened to my Homecoming post so I'll try again..

...Only to think better of it later.

Note to Gliad from the admin- read your private messages (link two rows under the photo of Jeff & Rachel)
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Gilad Schwartz wrote:I'm a stupid moron
Indeed you are. DO NOT POST ANYTHING CONCERNING FUTURE SHOWS ON THIS FORUM!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Kevin!

Welcome to the forum!

You've got an interesting avatar!

Dilbert looks like Drew Carey, and vice versa.

Gilad, please introduce yourselves to us properly.

I hope you both enjoy posting here!
kevin manthorpe
Rookie

Post by kevin manthorpe »

Thanks for the welcome, although I think I missed something about who has spoiled what. Guess it was edited out - Don't tell me, I don't want to know (or worse, start you guys off!) Might I suggest that as this is the "Welcome!..." page that the tone be kept upbeat and friendly so as not to scare new users away, at least until they have a chance to enjoy it before becoming aware of some users' dry wit and direct language? I couldn't give a rat's myself, but given the quality of contributions from the (for example) older members, more varied debate can be gained from having a broader base of contributors.

I have been entertained, enlightened and amused by reading some interesting threads in this forum, particularly when they get very philosophical then rapidly decend, via sometimes some unfortunate intellectual bullying, to the banal! (No offence anyone). I look forward to initiating a few myself especially after reading what's been getting posted lately. eg Are viewers still "Countdowners"? Will that expression ever resurface, or did anyone else retch a little whenever the term was used, all-inclusive though it was? And why is the conundrum not an anagram? Wrap me over the knuckles and start separate threads if you think these topics have legs; I've got bigger fish to fry and some games I need to win.
Jason Larsen wrote:You've got an interesting avatar!

Dilbert looks like Drew Carey, and vice versa.
Thanks, but don't quite get the reference yet, and I know both characters you're referring to. (NTS - What became of Drew Carey after his eponymous TV show? It was a hoot, though I don't know if it got shown in the UK) For those unfortunately uninitiated, the avatar is of Stewie from "Family Guy" (BBC3, late - outrageously funny) and kinda looks how I feel sometimes after following a thread here from go to woe.

Let's see if I can stay the distance!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

kevin manthorpe wrote: Are viewers still "Countdowners"? Will that expression ever resurface, or did anyone else retch a little whenever the term was used, all-inclusive though it was?
I hate the term, personally.
kevin manthorpe wrote:And why is the conundrum not an anagram?
Because there aren't 5000 nine-letter anagrams?
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Nice post Kevin, welcome aboard.

Yeah, very unlike me to use 'the C-word' (that phrase is possibly more of an abomination than just saying the word but I'm respecting your call to be polite!) in the Welcome thread, but it sucks to have XXX games of Countdown ruined for me. I don't think I'm being incredibly perceptive by saying it just seems obvious not to bust into a forum for the first time and say something like that, even if there wasn't such an obvious reason not to as having a forum specifically marked 'Spoilers' on the board index. I didn't really take notice of the contestants, not even their names, until I joined this forum, but now the players themselves, and the human factor they bring, are as much of a draw for me as the game itself. Needless to say, that interest is heightened even further when we're talking about XXX, a contestant who I interact with on the forum, and whose appearance I've been looking forward to for ages. Having all of XXX's games ruined for me, as well as the results of the previous XXX game(s), in such an incredibly unnecessary fashion, has really, ahem, annoyed me. Rant over.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Matt Morrison wrote:Having all of XXX's games ruined for me, as well as the results of the previous XXX game(s), in such an incredibly unnecessary fashion, has really, ahem, annoyed me. Rant over.
I wouldn't worry too much mate, if you look at the most recent post of "Gilad Schwartz" then you can probably guess who the real author is...
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Having all of XXX's games ruined for me, as well as the results of the previous XXX game(s), in such an incredibly unnecessary fashion, has really, ahem, annoyed me. Rant over.
I wouldn't worry too much mate, if you look at the most recent post of "Gilad Schwartz" then you can probably guess who the real author is...
Grrr... I always end up looking the prick. No idea who it is, it'll disappointingly be someone I like of course.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Matt Morrison wrote:Yeah, very unlike me to use 'the C-word' (that phrase is possibly more of an abomination than just saying the word but I'm respecting your call to be polite!)
Haha, given the immediately preceding discussion I interpreted this for a moment as a reference to 'Countdowner'.
Having all of XXX's games ruined for me, as well as the results of the previous XXX game(s), in such an incredibly unnecessary fashion, has really, ahem, annoyed me. Rant over.
'Gilad' is apparently Arabic for a camel's hump, which sounds like what he's given you.

Anyway, come on Charlie, spill the beans - who do you reckon it is?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Well, there aren't many members (or ex-members) of this forum who are 1) a bit mental 2) prone to Biblical references 3) strangely preoccupied with Jews. I'll let you come to your own conclusions. Suffice to say, nothing has actually been "spoilered", although it is true that Jimmy Gough will be appearing on our screens sometime soon as he filmed earlier this week.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

James Robinson wrote:Greeting c4countdowners!

I'm James Robinson, age 21, from Mirfield, West Yorkshire. I've been a fan of Countdown for virtually all my life. I first went on the show in Series 49 in 2003, just before my 15th birthday, where I lost to eventual 4th seed Ian Buckley. They then asked me back 6 weeks later to do one of the 25 special shows, which was eventually broadcast nearly 18 months later. I did win that by the way. In February 2009, I managed to successfully reapply to the show, returning to Leeds around a month later. I did OK, but was pretty miffed with one of my performances, but since they haven't been shown yet, I won't spoil it. The new set and the new team are superb, as was guest Tim Vine in DC, but I'm still "sort of" haunted by my failure second time round, since I doubt I'm in the finals. I'm first seen on April 21, so if you're not busy at the last recordings, then you can watch me on the show.
Wind up :D :D :D
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:Well, there aren't many members (or ex-members) of this forum who are 1) a bit mental 2) prone to Biblical references 3) strangely preoccupied with Jews.
Ah. RB?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Chris Corby wrote:

I'm James Robinson, age 21, from Mirfield, West Yorkshire. I've been a fan of Countdown for virtually all my life. I first went on the show in Series 49 in 2003, just before my 15th birthday, where I lost to eventual 4th seed Ian Buckley. They then asked me back 6 weeks later to do one of the 25 special shows, which was eventually broadcast nearly 18 months later. I did win that by the way. In February 2009, I managed to successfully reapply to the show, returning to Leeds around a month later. I did OK, but was pretty miffed with one of my performances, but since they haven't been shown yet, I won't spoil it. The new set and the new team are superb, as was guest Tim Vine in DC, but I'm still "sort of" haunted by my failure second time round, since I doubt I'm in the finals. I'm first seen on April 21, so if you're not busy at the last recordings, then you can watch me on the show.
Sadly not in this instance.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I believe that RB is currently living in a forest somewhere.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jon O'Neill wrote:I believe that RB is currently living in a forest somewhere.
Forming his own religion probably. Expect Waco-style news, except with less people involved.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You're very welcome, Kevin!

No, Drew Carey's sitcom was not shown in the UK, but US Whose Line was. He is now the host of the American TV institution known as The Price is Right.

I hope to see you around here again soon!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Welcome to the forum Kevin and Gilad.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Jason Larsen wrote:No, Drew Carey's sitcom was not shown in the UK
Yes it was, Jason. It used to be shown quite late at night on ITV, probably five or more years ago. Unfortunately, barring a couple of decent lines nicked from The Simpsons, it wasn't very good.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Jon Corby wrote:
Chris Corby wrote:

Sadly not in this instance.
Well, at least I can look forward to Tim Vine :|
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you for your information, Jim!

I've been very busy, but I will be here as often as I can.
James Hall
Acolyte

Post by James Hall »

Hello all :)

I've watched the game for years - thinking of applying... one day.

Thought I was pretty good until I watched my housemate (aka The Zussinator) play.

James
__
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

James Hall wrote:Hello all :)

I've watched the game for years - thinking of applying... one day.

Thought I was pretty good until I watched my housemate (aka The Zussinator) play.

James
Hi James. I see you've been practising on Apterous. Don't play too much, I enjoy being the best in the house at something. :cry:
Oh, and welcome to the forum. :D
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Now that I've been playing for a week, I supposed I should register for the forums etc.

Hi.

Anyway, born and raised in Kansas, now teaching math and various related things in Virginia (hence the strange hours). Like crosswords (although I don't do as many British-style as I probably should) and mahjongg and puzzles.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Welcome Andrew.
Hope you enjoy it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Andrew Feist wrote:Now that I've been playing for a week, I supposed I should register for the forums etc.

Hi.

Anyway, born and raised in Kansas, now teaching math and various related things in Virginia (hence the strange hours). Like crosswords (although I don't do as many British-style as I probably should) and mahjongg and puzzles.
Welcome :) You played a good game against me the other night, hoping to see a lot of good stuff from you. Strange hours suit me just fine.
Andrew Feist
Enthusiast

Post by Andrew Feist »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Andrew Feist wrote:Now that I've been playing for a week, I supposed I should register for the forums etc.

Hi.

Welcome :) You played a good game against me the other night, hoping to see a lot of good stuff from you. Strange hours suit me just fine.
It didn't feel like it at the time, but I've come to realize that people don't put up 117 every time. :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Welcome to the forum James and Andrew :)
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Hi.

Finally, another American member.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Let's see.

Me, Jennifer Philippart, and now Andrew Feist!

How ironic!
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jason Larsen wrote:Let's see.

How ironic!
Is this from the Alanis Morrissette school of irony?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ian Volante wrote:

How ironic!
Shall I get the knives?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

No!

I know of some more American Countdown fans!
Adam Dexter
Enthusiast

Post by Adam Dexter »

Jason Larsen wrote:No!

I know of some more American Countdown fans!
And in what paradigm is that ironic? Or is this a special in the OAED? Hehe.
ADAM DEXTER: MAXED DATER
We're off to button moon :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:

How ironic!
Shall I get the knives?
I can only seem to find ten thousand spoons...
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I know one US born Countdown fan you would love to meet and another one you would not get along with!
Mark Harrison
Rookie

Post by Mark Harrison »

Hello all. I'm Mark Harrison, 24 years old, third-year English student at Oxford. Discovered this place again whilst avoiding revision for finals - I was a (very) occasional poster on the old c4c newsgroup, and am very happy with a much easier-to-use forum!

Not much else to say really. I've discovered how great apterous is, so a couple of you might have seen me on there. Funnily enough, Junaid Mubeen and I both play pool for Oxford.
andrew heydon

Post by andrew heydon »

How do.

I was watching countdown the other day (17 April) and I got a 9 letter word (masterous) that was completely missed by everyone else! I'm not a genius by any means. Is this evidence of the diminishing standards since the departure of the advertisers delight Ms Carol 'I'll sell anything to anyone me' Vorderman?

Sorry to be slightly negative on my first post.

Andrew
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

andrew heydon wrote:How do.

I was watching countdown the other day (17 April) and I got a 9 letter word (masterous) that was completely missed by everyone else! I'm not a genius by any means. Is this evidence of the diminishing standards since the departure of the advertisers delight Ms Carol 'I'll sell anything to anyone me' Vorderman?

Sorry to be slightly negative on my first post.

Andrew
Hi Andrew, and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately MASTEROUS isn't valid (a word has to be in the Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd Edition (Revised) to be allowed on Countdown). Moreover, since the lexicographic team hasn't changed since Carol left (as far as I'm aware...) I wouldn't expect much of a change in standards in that department. That said, they do miss things (occasionally), and we have threads in the spoilers section of the forum where people discuss things they have (or think they have) seen with other people whilst we all watch the show.

Finally - the apterous word checker is a good resource for checking word validity (if you don't have the right dictionary).

Hope you enjoy your time here.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Hi, Andrew! Welcome!

Don't worry, Jeff and Rachel add their own magic to Countdown and what Jeff said on his first show was true. Just like Des O'Connor, he seems interested in the game because he came up with a word as Des came up with a numbers solution.

I hope you enjoy posting here!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Welcome to the forum Mark and Andrew.
Elinor

Post by Elinor »

Hello, Im Elinor (El), I was introduced to this site by a colleague who has appeared on Countdown today(well done Julie!!), and as she has become so addicted to this site, I thought I would join her!! Im 28,a dental care coordinator from Scotland and have fond student memories of watching Countdown with Richard Whitely at 4 in the morning....I hope Ive improved since then!! :lol:
Be gentle please ;)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Julie Russell. Yes, we've heard that name before! I'll have to talk to her more later!

Welcome here, Elinor and Julie!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Elinor wrote:(well done Julie!!)
Let's assume you're saying this meaning 'Well done for getting on the show'.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jason Larsen wrote:I'll have to talk to her more later!
Des O, is that you?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

No, Dinos. I only said that because I've only seen her on Apterous.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Elinor wrote:Hello, Im Elinor (El), I was introduced to this site by a colleague who has appeared on Countdown today(well done Julie!!), and as she has become so addicted to this site, I thought I would join her!! Im 28,a dental care coordinator from Scotland and have fond student memories of watching Countdown with Richard Whitely at 4 in the morning....I hope Ive improved since then!! :lol:
Be gentle please ;)
Welcome to the forum Elinor :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:I'll have to talk to her more later!
Des O, is that you?
:lol: :lol:

The ol' Des euphemism for "shut the fuck up."
Chris Thomas

Post by Chris Thomas »

Greetings from the San Francisco Bay Area.

I first found "Countdown" on a 1987 trip to Britain -- and liked it enough that I brought back the Milton Bradley home game, which kept my circle of friends occupied on many a party night and still occupies a prized space in my closet. Then the Internet came along. First were the websites that sort-of played the game. Then there was the occasional tantalizing and/or funny video clip of Richard that left me wanting more. And now, every weekday ... well, um, yeah, you know.

Glad to be here, glad to be seeing the show again, and humbled in the presence of so many legends.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Chris Thomas wrote:Greetings from the San Francisco Bay Area.
Welcome to the board Chris - although I'm experiencing extreme jealousy that you live so near to my favourite place on earth. (Mountain View must be, what, about 30 miles from San Francisco itself?) I fell for northern California in a big way on my first trip in 1994, and immersed myself in SF city life on a longer stay in 1997.
Glad to be here, glad to be seeing the show again, and humbled in the presence of so many legends.
Speaking as a strictly non-legendary devotee, glad to know you're still watching and enjoying the show with the new team in front of the cameras and looking forward to hearing more from your perspective.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Chris, welcome from Seattle.
Ken MacKenzie

Post by Ken MacKenzie »

Ralph Gillions wrote:
Ken MacKenzie wrote:Hi. Just found this forum a day or two ago and I have plucked up the courage to join.
Welcome Ken. I hope you enjoy this forum. Perhaps we will see you on the programme one day.
Well, courage finally came to the fore and I'm due to record in Manchester on June 16th. Butterflies have already invaded my tummy so any help and/or advice welcome and I'll continue to practice (almost) daily on apterous. Maybe one or two of you may even challenge me.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Well done Ken.
Perhaps little butterflies are a good thing.
I am sure you will get support, encouragement, and even tips from people on here who have actually done the business.
Good luck.
Rob Thomas
Rookie

Post by Rob Thomas »

Ken MacKenzie wrote:
Ralph Gillions wrote:
Ken MacKenzie wrote:Hi. Just found this forum a day or two ago and I have plucked up the courage to join.
Welcome Ken. I hope you enjoy this forum. Perhaps we will see you on the programme one day.
Well, courage finally came to the fore and I'm due to record in Manchester on June 16th. Butterflies have already invaded my tummy so any help and/or advice welcome and I'll continue to practice (almost) daily on apterous. Maybe one or two of you may even challenge me.
Well done Ken. Bit of advice from me about going on the show (take with a pinch of salt as i'm not that good) - yes playing on apterous as much as possible is easily the main way to improve, but you can't rush the improvement sadly - if you try and cram too many new words then you'll find none of them stick. I printed off massive lists of "-AGE" / "MAN" / "OUT" words etc. but it was too ambitious in the time I had from audition (when I discovered this website) to recording, and in the end nothing I had learned came up. I would have been better just playing again and again on apterous - there's a form of improvement i'm experiencing now which is more about the ability to whittle down the possibilities for longer words quicker than before, and about getting an instinct for how long a word you're going to get from a certain selection - the improvement has very little to do with declaring new words I have recently learned, although obviously to become amazing at it you need that as well!

Secondly, whatever method of working within the 30 seconds that you come up with (writing the letters down in a circle / grid, not writing them down, learning a load of endings off by heart so you can check you haven't missed any etc..) - don't be tempted to change the method in the last few days / hours as the nerves kick in. When I was on I found myself strangely tempted to combine or jump between some of the different methods i've dabbled in and I got a bit overloaded.

Finally - practice asking for the selection i.e. saying "vowel" and "consonant" with a friend. It makes a huge difference to not have to experience that for the first time under the lights, and obviously it's harder to think about upcoming words when you are the one calling the Vs and Cs, and keeping track of how many you've asked for.

All the best, Rob.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Rob Thomas wrote: Finally - practice asking for the selection i.e. saying "vowel" and "consonant" with a friend. It makes a huge difference to not have to experience that for the first time under the lights, and obviously it's harder to think about upcoming words when you are the one calling the Vs and Cs, and keeping track of how many you've asked for.

This may sound stupid but it's so true. The first time I was on I was so conscious of me asking for vowel and consonant and I was so nervous and I struggled. Since then I've been to CO-events and asked for consonants and vowels in real life hundreds of times and so when I went back on this series it felt so natural and I could concentrate on the game and not on my "am I saying please too much, or too little" or whatever. Seems so small and simple but I can relate to this.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Yeah, if you write your letters down, practise doing that and picking letters at the same time. Oh, and don't forget to press the conundrum button!
Jeffrey Burgin
Acolyte

Post by Jeffrey Burgin »

Just signed up to the forum today, although been on Apterous for about two weeks now. So hey, I'm Jeff, and I'm officially an Apterous-aholic, which isn't great with crucial A2 exams coming up...