Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
User avatar
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:40 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Daniel O'Dowd » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:15 am

Craig Beevers wrote:Well with Scrabble I wouldn't unlearn them exactly, just learn the ones that are a little more obscure but are okay in Countdown. Then when you get on just not risk declare stuff unless it's common, you know specifically that it's okay or your opponent pushes you into taking a risk.

Carlisle's pretty quiet for Scrabble tourneys, but it's worth trying one sometime just to see if you like it.
Indeed; when I found out there had been one only a few weeks before I got re-interested in the game in summer at the uni I was rather annoyed :lol: I only ever get to playing seriously 3-4 months in a year if that, but this winter I haven't had that happen. County Down however, I do plan to visit once I have enough time to devote myself.

User avatar
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: My bedroom

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Kai Laddiman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:29 pm

I want to launch a campaign to make the Silent Majority on the forum a Silent Minority! EVERYONE POST HERE!
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.

User avatar
Madelaine Jones
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Madelaine Jones » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi everyone, I'm Maddie, I'm 17 and I have only got into Countdown over the last couple of series, but I have to say I'm really loving it! I'm not gonna profess to be a genius at the game, but hopefully I'll get better with time - my ultimate aim is to go on the show and get the teapot (I think that might be a few years down the line yet...) :D Apart from Countdown, music is my main hobby - underneath my bed looks a bit like the backroom of an instrument shop! :D
Right, enough waffling, I'm off.
Hopefully speak to some of you soon!
Maddie

Ralph Gillions
Devotee
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:53 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Ralph Gillions » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:48 pm

Welcome Maddie.
I hope you enjoy the forum.

Hannah O
Acolyte
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Hannah O » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:30 pm

Welcome! I'm also aiming for the teapot but I need a lot of practice first :D Music is great too.

User avatar
Brian Whitworth
Rookie
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Brian Whitworth » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:22 am

Hi Guys!

Im new to the forum -- I used to dip in and out of countdown v1 with carol and co, but now since the new series I am totally addicted and I sky plus it every day and watch it when I get home from work!!

Anyway, hello everyone!

Brianlee72

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9424
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:39 am

Brianlee72 wrote:Im new to the forum -- I used to dip in and out of countdown v1 with carol and co, but now since the new series I am totally addicted and I sky plus it every day and watch it when I get home from work!!
I like this guy already.

Paul Hawkins
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Paul Hawkins » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:41 pm

Hi, I've just discovered this site. I was a quarter-finalist on series 44 (the last 30-minute series) having won six times previously. I lost interest a bit once Des L & then Des O'C took over from Richard, but have started watching again as the new Jeff/Rachel pairing definitely has potential.

Chris Corby
Devotee
Posts: 593
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:54 pm
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Chris Corby » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:45 pm

Paul Hawkins wrote:Hi, I've just discovered this site. I was a quarter-finalist on series 44 (the last 30-minute series) having won six times previously. I lost interest a bit once Des L & then Des O'C took over from Richard, but have started watching again as the new Jeff/Rachel pairing definitely has potential.
Charlie can't be arsed to monitor this site 24 hours a day so........... welcome mate. :)

caroline benson
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:09 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by caroline benson » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:46 pm

My name is Caroline. I've never felt intimidated by an internet forum before...was expecting an IQ test with the activation email...and I'd been practising.
Been watching Countdown for years. Now I watch it every evening on the internet in bed...It's the little pleasures in life. Was sorry David O'D was booted out (I have to have some solidarity for a fellow native), but I'm still rooting for Charlie... :)

Ralph Gillions
Devotee
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:53 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Ralph Gillions » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:52 pm

Welcome Caroline.
I hope you enjoy the forum. I hope the intimidation feeling quickly fades.

Baz
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Baz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:47 pm

I'm Baz a recently joined member, it's good to see the show has such a loyal following. May it go on for many years, I think the new arrivals will do it proud.

Mattie Hall
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Mattie Hall » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:52 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm Matt. I'm 26 and have been a big countdown fan for the past 6 years or so. I played in one or two online tournaments a few years back as well as COLIN 2005 or 2006 - can't remember which :D . Have just rediscovered this forum after a long absence.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9424
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Charlie Reams » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:53 pm

Mattie Hall wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm Matt. I'm 26 and have been a big countdown fan for the past 6 years or so. I played in one or two online tournaments a few years back as well as COLIN 2005 or 2006 - can't remember which :D . Have just rediscovered this forum after a long absence.
Thought I recognised your name from somewhere. Welcome back, and welcome for the first time to our other new members.

Mattie Hall
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Mattie Hall » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:01 pm

Thought I recognised your name from somewhere. Welcome back, and welcome for the first time to our other new members.
Thanks :)

Matt.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9667
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:Welcome back, and welcome for the first time to our other new members.
I can do better than that. Welcome to all members: past, present and future. Job done. :P

User avatar
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Martin Gardner » Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:34 pm

Chris Corby wrote:Charlie can't be arsed to monitor this site 24 hours a day so........... welcome mate. :)
What??? Lazy bastard.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?

User avatar
Tim
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:43 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Tim » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:30 pm

I've just realised that I haven't introduced myself yet, although I was on the old Yahoo site, and even summarised the occasional game in the past. I am Tim Fuller, from Chelmsford (hi Debbi!), I've watched Countdown since day 1, only missing a few games while I was at Uni in the early 90's, and downloading them wasn't an option then. I have never been on the show, though I had an audition in 1999 which I thought went well, though Mark Nyman obviously thought otherwise. I may well have another go one day.
I took part in CoLIN 2 years ago, and managed to win all sorts of categories which seemed to have been set up with me in mind :lol: unfortunately I haven't been able to attend any since then for one reason or another. I hope to make up for this, as it was an excellent experience and I got to meet a great bunch of former, future, and non contestants.
Hello to all other new members, and hopefully I'll get back into the routine of regular posting again.

Tim.

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4278
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jon O'Neill » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:54 am

Tim wrote:I've just realised that I haven't introduced myself yet, although I was on the old Yahoo site, and even summarised the occasional game in the past. I am Tim Fuller, from Chelmsford (hi Debbi!), I've watched Countdown since day 1, only missing a few games while I was at Uni in the early 90's, and downloading them wasn't an option then. I have never been on the show, though I had an audition in 1999 which I thought went well, though Mark Nyman obviously thought otherwise. I may well have another go one day.
I took part in CoLIN 2 years ago, and managed to win all sorts of categories which seemed to have been set up with me in mind :lol: unfortunately I haven't been able to attend any since then for one reason or another. I hope to make up for this, as it was an excellent experience and I got to meet a great bunch of former, future, and non contestants.
Hello to all other new members, and hopefully I'll get back into the routine of regular posting again.

Tim.
The tourney-for-tourney most decorated Countdowner ever returns!

Good to have you back.. see you at the next CO-, I hope.

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 4101
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Ben Wilson » Sun Feb 01, 2009 12:58 am

Tim wrote:I've just realised that I haven't introduced myself yet, although I was on the old Yahoo site, and even summarised the occasional game in the past. I am Tim Fuller, from Chelmsford (hi Debbi!), I've watched Countdown since day 1, only missing a few games while I was at Uni in the early 90's, and downloading them wasn't an option then. I have never been on the show, though I had an audition in 1999 which I thought went well, though Mark Nyman obviously thought otherwise. I may well have another go one day.
I took part in CoLIN 2 years ago, and managed to win all sorts of categories which seemed to have been set up with me in mind :lol: unfortunately I haven't been able to attend any since then for one reason or another. I hope to make up for this, as it was an excellent experience and I got to meet a great bunch of former, future, and non contestants.
Hello to all other new members, and hopefully I'll get back into the routine of regular posting again.

Tim.
Cherry prize, team prize, highest score and most niners if I recall correctly. :-) Glad to have you back in the fold Tim!

Nicholas Mooneyhan
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:07 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Nicholas Mooneyhan » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:28 am

Hello, I'm Nick Mooneyhan from the US. I'm practically new to the show having only started watching recently through UKNova. I love the show and it's quite a challenge!

I just graduated college in December '08 with a BA in Broadcasting, and having a tough go at the job market (what else is new?)

Been a lifelong fan of lots of US game shows, but admire UK game shows and other shows as well over there, for being more intelligent that anything we have on this continent.

Looking forward to series 60!

Ralph Gillions
Devotee
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:53 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Ralph Gillions » Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:20 am

Hi Nick.
Welcome to this forum, and I hope you enjoy it.
Congratulations on your BA graduation.

Mattie Hall
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:23 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Mattie Hall » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:10 am

"I've just realised that I haven't introduced myself yet, although I was on the old Yahoo site, and even summarised the occasional game in the past. I am Tim Fuller, from Chelmsford (hi Debbi!), I've watched Countdown since day 1, only missing a few games while I was at Uni in the early 90's, and downloading them wasn't an option then. I have never been on the show, though I had an audition in 1999 which I thought went well, though Mark Nyman obviously thought otherwise. I may well have another go one day.
I took part in CoLIN 2 years ago, and managed to win all sorts of categories which seemed to have been set up with me in mind :lol: unfortunately I haven't been able to attend any since then for one reason or another. I hope to make up for this, as it was an excellent experience and I got to meet a great bunch of former, future, and non contestants.
Hello to all other new members, and hopefully I'll get back into the routine of regular posting again.

Tim."
Hi Tim. :) I seem to remember that we met at the aforementioned event. Nice to see you on here! :D

Matt.

User avatar
Ian Fitzpatrick
Enthusiast
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick » Sun Feb 01, 2009 6:54 pm

Hi guys
A post or two short of when I should have posted on here.......
A new registree, aged 65 (groan I hear), I have been watching Countdown for 10 years or so since I retired, having been introduced to it, together with Eggheads, by SWMBO.
I quickly became a devotee of the Richard and Carol show and was sadly depressed at Richard’s untimely death. I was surprised when the programme came back to be honest but thought Des Lynam made a good effort to revive it (His first couple of weeks were dire). I can say nothing good about Des O’Connor as all he needed to do was to learn how to finish his words and sentences and then understand what the game was all about and he may have made some contribution.
So what a breath of fresh air this year when Jeff and Rachel brought the new series to our screens. I hadn’t come across Jeff before being a cheapskate terrestial viewer, but I think he handles it very well. What a lovely smile Rachel has, and I won’t mention the eyes. Her confidence is amazing.
Having just watched the CofC , I must congratulate all you “youngsters” on your entertaining contribution, and thanks to Charlie for opening up the “secret” topics (especially the photographs) for us to see. It looked like a great weekend for you all to get together – I didn’t notice any hangovers in the games, but maybe if I watched them again now I know more.................
I watch the programme recorded on my hard disk at 10pm each night because the producers took no notice of my emails bemoaning the change of time from 5:15pm! Countdown is a much better watch than the 10 o’clock news any time!
I must just give a name check to Suzie because I think she is great and would love to run into her on Broad Street sometime!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum

Mark Bly
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:22 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Mark Bly » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:58 pm

Hi, I'm Mark, from West Sussex. I've enjoyed watching Countdown for many years. Im not too bad at the numbers and occasionally get the conundrum (only when i've got longer than the quick fire 1 second chance), but just enjoy the whole program.

I'm really enjoying Countdown at the moment and think that Rachel and Jeff have brought a new interest to the game. It is compulsive viewing - Sky Plus, series link! :mrgreen:

User avatar
George Jenkins
Enthusiast
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:55 am

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by George Jenkins » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:28 pm

nicholasm79 wrote:Hello, I'm Nick Mooneyhan from the US. I'm practically new to the show having only started watching recently through UKNova. I love the show and it's quite a challenge!

I just graduated college in December '08 with a BA in Broadcasting, and having a tough go at the job market (what else is new?)

Been a lifelong fan of lots of US game shows, but admire UK game shows and other shows as well over there, for being more intelligent that anything we have on this continent.

Looking forward to series 60!
Howdy Nic! I am George Jenkins, Also a newcomer to this show. I am an ex-Engine Driver, and enjoying the best time of my Life; Retirement. I can lie in bed as long as I like. then I can click onto this Programme and give these young lads and lassies the benefit of my enormous knowledge of life, accumulated over a period of nearly 81 years. So far, nobody in these pages have referred to me in the same tone as my disrespectful Nephews, whom refer to me as "you old Git". I don't know why they say that because I am not a bit boastful.

I had a few days in the states some years ago. My brother lived in Canada, and we went down to Montana. We found a little town called Libby which had a saloon complete with a hitching rail in the front. I assume that it was a replica from the old days.

We went in and saw several people sitting at the Bar, including a big man wearing a stetson and a gun belt with an enormous gun. My brother turned to me and told me to keep my mouth shut, and don't try to be funny because he was the Sheriff. I liked the way that he slowly turned and looked us over. The people talked to us, and one man told me that took part in the invasion of France in 1944. His ship was sunk and he was picked up by the Royal Navy.

We were in a store that sold fancy glass and quartz. I said to my brother quite loudly " Ere Arf" (Translation, here Arthur), look at this bit". A man and a lady hurried over to me, and the lady said, "Hey, are you from England", I said "Yus". then she said "talk some more". I didn't know why she wanted to talk, so I said, "I hate your big Cities, they are just like ours, but I love your little towns like Libby, and why I have come here".

She gave me a lovely smile and I'm sure she wanted to cuddle me and kiss me. (Wishful thinking again). My Brother told me that they liked to hear my funny accent
I was dissapointed that nobody got shot and that everybody were so friendly to us. Not a bit like your films depict Americans.

Jai Benson
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:23 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jai Benson » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi. Been a countdown wordnerd for a number of years. Will never apply as couldn't stand the humiliation of being beaten by an 11 year old genius, but love watching.

I'd love to see junaid on the numbers board he is so wily and using all the numbers makes it much ,more interesting.

stanthewiseman
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:15 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by stanthewiseman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Hi
My name is Stan Jacobs and i have been watching Countdown for twenty odd years so I am an old fart! can i use that word.
I did enjoy Countdown, BUT I am uneasy about the current format and not at all comfortable with the new presenters.

User avatar
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 7584
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Matt Morrison » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:24 pm

stanthewiseman wrote:I am an old fart! can i use that word.
Only if you say "Sorry Kai" afterwards.

User avatar
Kirk Bevins
God
Posts: 4923
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm
Location: York, UK

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Kirk Bevins » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:29 pm

stanthewiseman wrote: I did enjoy Countdown, BUT I am uneasy about the current format and not at all comfortable with the new presenters.
Hopefully you'll warm to them because I think they're excellent and Jeff does a remarkable job.

User avatar
tomrowell
Acolyte
Posts: 169
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by tomrowell » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:11 pm

I have been on here for a while now so I guess I better do the whole introducing thing. I'm Tom Rowell, 22, Civil Servant from the wonderful market town of Rugby. (Un)fortunately being friends with Kirk since we went to school means that I have probably got the record for most games lost to him out of anyone on here, the record reads something like 0-432, but i'm claiming some of the credit for letting him be so good. Hopefully when i get a bit better I would like to go on the show and win at least once and claim a mighty teapot

Jojo Apollo
Devotee
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jojo Apollo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Hello my name is Jojo. Can I first say how good it is to see so many of the real stars of the show on here i.e the contestants. As one of the many armchair contestants at home, I like to keep personal records ever since the Supreme championships back in the 90's, and try to keep on improving ( I did watch the first episode in 1982 but then never watched for another 10 years, I was watching tv cartoon shows such as Ulysses 31 and Dungeons and Dragons etc instead :oops: ). Ahem anyway my record high score is 140 (with two nines), a best winning streak of 32 wins ( with draws just discounted). Also I am happy( or should that be sad ;) ) to say that I have watched every show since the Supreme Championship and I have managed to beat every Octochamp at least once apart from Julian Fell and Craig Beevers (although I did manage to be in contention with them to the Conundrum in a couple of games - damn them pesky Conundrums! :lol: ), have to confess though that more often than not I lose the majority of time to the Octochamps (in the best of eights) especially the greats, I'm just not consistent enough :oops:

I also would be scared witless of taking part on the show itself, but like many just enjoy competing against the brave contestants on the show, in the comfort of my home (my Mum enjoys it too!). Can I just finish off with a few observations/questions:

1) Would it not be better to have four numbers games, ten letters games and the Conundrum rather than the uneven three numbers and eleven letters games plus Conundrum, so every contestant picks the same amount of letters and numbers?

2) Will there be another Supreme Championship?

3) Why were Craig Beevers and fellow finalist Jeffrey(sp?) not on the latest Champion of Champions series?

4) Could they not place the Susie definition slot after the second numbers game (as it is now, it breaks up the rhythm of the game) eg. like the guest slot is after the first number game ( where the rhythm is not broken up)?

5) Could someone please tell Rachel not to say :"there's the "U" whenever there is a "Q" in the selection ( Carol annoying used to do this aswell), it spoils the chances of someone trying to get an advantage/ catch-up if a fellow contestant doesn't spot it, also there is the annoying pointing out of the "I.N.G" which Carol used to do, don't think Rachel has done that yet. Also could someone tell Rachel to not wear such high heels she looks so awkward when putting up the letters and could fall A over T.

6) Is it possible to have a Countdown game where 3 or more contestants simultaneously play?

7) Any tips on how to do improve your Conundrum game? ( it is my biggest weakness)

8) Will there be a proper high-tech PC game version of Countdown, the interactive DVD is quite poor as it doesn't simultaneously show letters/numbers with the timer going, and the handheld version is only with the old nine rounds and the screen is quite dull?

9) Shouldn't the word MOTELIERS be now allowed?

10) Is there any chance any of the real old shows in the 80's could be shown again (many of us missed them), on eg. a youtube channel?

Anyway that's it for now, apologises if I have offended/bored anyone (with criticisms or Rachel etc), I have not meant to, just want to see the show be the best that it can be for the viewing public such as myself. Cheers!

User avatar
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: My bedroom

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Kai Laddiman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:36 pm

Jojo Apollo wrote:7) Any tips on how to do improve your Conundrum game? ( it is my biggest weakness)

8) Will there be a proper high-tech PC game version of Countdown?
7) http://apterous.org/index.php

8) http://apterous.org/index.php
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.

User avatar
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast
Posts: 317
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: Brighton, UK

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Lesley Jeavons » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:45 pm

Welcome to everyone new since I last said 'welcome'. :mrgreen:
Jojo Apollo wrote:6) Is it possible to have a Countdown game where 3 or more contestants simultaneously play?
Ooh, I like this idea. :idea: If CoC is to be no more, then it would be quite good fun to see a game where there are several contestants competing together - maybe even 15, like 15-1. ;) I'm sure it would be quite good if it was scored differently... :geek:

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4278
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Jojo Apollo wrote:1) Would it not be better to have four numbers games, ten letters games and the Conundrum rather than the uneven three numbers and eleven letters games plus Conundrum, so every contestant picks the same amount of letters and numbers?
I think four numbers rounds and ten letters rounds would bias the game unfairly towards numbers experts. I like the way the champion has fewer numbers picks because it means they have to work harder to retain their seat.
Jojo Apollo wrote:2) Will there be another Supreme Championship?
Almost definitely not. The producer doesn't like the idea.
Jojo Apollo wrote:3) Why were Craig Beevers and fellow finalist Jeffrey(sp?) not on the latest Champion of Champions series?
Some people couldn't make it for various reasons (Craig, for example, had Scrabble commitments)
Jojo Apollo wrote:4) Could they not place the Susie definition slot after the second numbers game (as it is now, it breaks up the rhythm of the game) eg. like the guest slot is after the first number game ( where the rhythm is not broken up)?
This has been mentioned and refuted. I think I'm in agreement with you about 60%, so I don't care either way.
Jojo Apollo wrote:5) Could someone please tell Rachel not to say :"there's the "U" whenever there is a "Q" in the selection ( Carol annoying used to do this aswell), it spoils the chances of someone trying to get an advantage/ catch-up if a fellow contestant doesn't spot it, also there is the annoying pointing out of the "I.N.G" which Carol used to do, don't think Rachel has done that yet. Also could someone tell Rachel to not wear such high heels she looks so awkward when putting up the letters and could fall A over T.
I think she'll grow out of this - I think the tactical disadvantage to either player of her pointing this out is negligible. The same can't be said for the -ING one, but Rachel hasn't pointed that out yet.
Jojo Apollo wrote:6) Is it possible to have a Countdown game where 3 or more contestants simultaneously play?
The Daily Duel on http://www.apterous.org is like this. Basically, I think it can be done by using 1-0 scoring on rounds, but that's not very exciting.
Jojo Apollo wrote:7) Any tips on how to do improve your Conundrum game? ( it is my biggest weakness)
http://www.apterous.org
Jojo Apollo wrote:8) Will there be a proper high-tech PC game version of Countdown, the interactive DVD is quite poor as it doesn't simultaneously show letters/numbers with the timer going, and the handheld version is only with the old nine rounds and the screen is quite dull?
http://www.apterous.org
Jojo Apollo wrote:9) Shouldn't the word MOTELIERS be now allowed?
The dictionary on the show is a dictionary of common usage, and their source, the Oxford Corpus, is quite authoritative. So no, it shouldn't.
Jojo Apollo wrote:10) Is there any chance any of the real old shows in the 80's could be shown again (many of us missed them), on eg. a youtube channel?
If someone had copies of them then yes. As far as I know, the only copy of them is in the C4 archive, and what with the changes in technology, retrieving them is a costly process so it's unlikely it will be logistically possible.
Jojo Apollo wrote:Anyway that's it for now, apologises if I have offended/bored anyone (with criticisms or Rachel etc), I have not meant to, just want to see the show be the best that it can be for the viewing public such as myself. Cheers!
No problem, welcome!

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9667
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:56 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:1) Would it not be better to have four numbers games, ten letters games and the Conundrum rather than the uneven three numbers and eleven letters games plus Conundrum, so every contestant picks the same amount of letters and numbers?
I think four numbers rounds and ten letters rounds would bias the game unfairly towards numbers experts. I like the way the champion has fewer numbers picks because it means they have to work harder to retain their seat.
I'm with Jojo on this one (as I'm sure you know). Good first post by the way - I enjoyed reading it. But anyway, I think having 10-4-1 would even it up nicely, and I don't see any reason why a contestant (champion or challenger) should be given an advantage (I know it's debatable whether it is an advantage but I consider it to be so). Also I don't see it as biasing it unfairly towards numbers experts any more than it is biased unfairly to letters experts now.

Let's not forget that with each letters round, almost every round is a proper round in that each contestant has to make some effort to get the best word. Quite a few of the numbers are ridiculously easy which means 3 numbers games can quite easily become 2, 1 or even 0 proper rounds. If you are a numbers expert you have the opportunity to reduce the chances of this happening when you pick, but just once a game is not enough. It's likely to mean just one worthwhile numbers round in the whole game, Yes you sometimes get three one-large games that are all hard but it's quite rare.

At the moment there's quite a lot of random chance as to whether your numbers skills will be called upon in a game. Having the extra game will reduce this "volatility", as well as giving people the chance to make a difference twice which I think would nicely bring the numbers game back as a consistently relevant part of the show, rather than a bit that just tacked on as an afterthought.

Jojo Apollo
Devotee
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jojo Apollo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:11 pm

Thanks to all who replied. Jon I hear what you are saying regarding the numbers game, but the maximum you can get in each numbers round is 10 points , whereas in the letters round you can get a maximum of 18 points. It could be said the game heavily favours the letters experts, one nine letter word can virtually wipe out two numbers games advantage.

User avatar
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja
Posts: 4278
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:45 am
Location: London, UK

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jon O'Neill » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:29 pm

Sure, I just like the balance as it is. Horses for courses.

Also you have the best name on the forum. Congratulations.

Jojo Apollo
Devotee
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jojo Apollo » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:33 pm

Jon O'Neill wrote:Sure, I just like the balance as it is. Horses for courses.

Also you have the best name on the forum. Congratulations.
Cheers.

User avatar
AnnieHall
Acolyte
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:31 am
Location: London

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by AnnieHall » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi Everyone!
I'm new here, saw Charlie's performance on Friday and heard about this forum,. and decided to check it out!
I've been a fan of Countdown from day 1 (Which was 4 days before I had my now 26-year-old son!). I love the letters game, not so keen on the numbers.
I was unsure of Jeff taking over as (Not being a sports fan) I didn't know who he was, but I like Jeff, he has a nice smile (I liked Des O'connor- but he got on my nerves with his "Okey-Dokey" which he said before EVERY round! :mrgreen: .I couldn't stand Des Lynam- he has No personality at all!
I'm looking forward to chatting to all you Countdown fans out there (I like forums as well!)

User avatar
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Martin Gardner » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:24 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jon O'Neill wrote:
Jojo Apollo wrote:1) Would it not be better to have four numbers games, ten letters games and the Conundrum rather than the uneven three numbers and eleven letters games plus Conundrum, so every contestant picks the same amount of letters and numbers?
I think four numbers rounds and ten letters rounds would bias the game unfairly towards numbers experts. I like the way the champion has fewer numbers picks because it means they have to work harder to retain their seat.
I'm with Jojo on this one (as I'm sure you know). Good first post by the way - I enjoyed reading it. But anyway, I think having 10-4-1 would even it up nicely, and I don't see any reason why a contestant (champion or challenger) should be given an advantage (I know it's debatable whether it is an advantage but I consider it to be so). Also I don't see it as biasing it unfairly towards numbers experts any more than it is biased unfairly to letters experts now.

Let's not forget that with each letters round, almost every round is a proper round in that each contestant has to make some effort to get the best word. Quite a few of the numbers are ridiculously easy which means 3 numbers games can quite easily become 2, 1 or even 0 proper rounds. If you are a numbers expert you have the opportunity to reduce the chances of this happening when you pick, but just once a game is not enough. It's likely to mean just one worthwhile numbers round in the whole game, Yes you sometimes get three one-large games that are all hard but it's quite rare.

At the moment there's quite a lot of random chance as to whether your numbers skills will be called upon in a game. Having the extra game will reduce this "volatility", as well as giving people the chance to make a difference twice which I think would nicely bring the numbers game back as a consistently relevant part of the show, rather than a bit that just tacked on as an afterthought.
I agree with all of this; I don't know why the numbers games are marginalised so much, I know a lot of people that prefer the numbers to the letters (my dad, my mother-in-law, etc). And I also think it's a disadvantage because the champion has to declare first 6 times on the letters, and the challenger 5 times. It's basically the same concept as "position" in poker, I can't really be bothered explaining it now.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?

User avatar
George Jenkins
Enthusiast
Posts: 337
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:55 am

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by George Jenkins » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:53 pm

stanthewiseman wrote:Hi
My name is Stan Jacobs and i have been watching Countdown for twenty odd years so I am an old fart! can i use that word.
I did enjoy Countdown, BUT I am uneasy about the current format and not at all comfortable with the new presenters.
Hello Stan, you are quite right to be uneasy about the current format, and that proves that you are a man of culture and good taste. Unlike the people behind the scenes at Countdown, whom think that a strident primary colour blue, which dominates to the detriment of the team and Players, is acceptable. My opinion is that the format is on a par with modern, ugly classical music, screeching pop singers prancing about on the stage, and in Art, where an unmade bed with a pair of dirty knickers is hailed as a masterpiece, and is worth thousands. the people whom designed that set have proved their complete lack of colour harmony and good taste, and think that their set projects the modern touch.

When Rachel wore a primary colour red coloured dress, it clashed hideously against the primary coloured and dominant blue. that scene alone violated the law of colour harmony. It wasn't Rachel's fault, it is up to the set designers to present a pleasant to look at background.

If the background of Countdown has to be one overall colour, a light green would be the only colour suitable, it is nature's colour, and being complementary to red, Rachel would have looked stunning wearing red. I notice that lately, Rachel wears dark blues and blacks, which makes the scene look evenly gloomier.

I enjoyed writing that Stan, because being old and self-opinionated, I like a good argument.
George Jenkins.

User avatar
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: My bedroom

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Kai Laddiman » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:24 pm

I reckon they should try the interesting format LLLLNLLLNLLNLNC. That's cool.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9667
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:43 pm

Kai Laddiman wrote:I reckon they should try the interesting format LLLLNLLLNLLNLNC. That's cool.
My way would probably be LLLLN LLLLN LNLNC. If your way was split into "halves" it would be LLLLN LLLNL LNLNC which is almost the same except for the second "half".

User avatar
AnnieHall
Acolyte
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:31 am
Location: London

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by AnnieHall » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:32 pm

Every day I record Countdown, then start it about 3.45, cutting out all the talking (Although, if it's an interesting guest, I listen to what they say before the break) and it still ends in time for deal or no Deal- just goes to show how much time is wasted with the talking!

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7934
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jon Corby » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:44 pm

AnnieHall wrote:Every day I record Countdown, then start it about 3.45, cutting out all the talking (Although, if it's an interesting guest, I listen to what they say before the break) and it still ends in time for deal or no Deal- just goes to show how much time is wasted with the talking!
Presumably if you then go on to watch Deal Or No Deal, you could skim this down to about 30 seconds?

User avatar
Ian Fitzpatrick
Enthusiast
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:08 pm

Or better still cut out the chat in Deal or No Deal and you've saved another 45 minutes.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum

Jojo Apollo
Devotee
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:29 am

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jojo Apollo » Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:11 pm

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Or better still cut out the chat in Deal or No Deal and you've saved another 45 minutes.
I do that on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, saves nearly an hour.

User avatar
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: My bedroom

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Kai Laddiman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:57 am

Gavin Chipper wrote:My way would probably be LLLLN LLLLN LNLNC
That would mean someone picks 2 numbers games more.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.

Jon Duncan
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:55 pm
Location: South-west France

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jon Duncan » Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:11 pm

So, by way of introducing myself I'll admit that my name is Jon and that I live in a forgotten world of olden times (not quite 'a land of myth and a time of magic' to quote Merlina the Teenage Wiz), yes I hail to you from the Dial-up Age. This is a by-product of living in the back-woods of the Dordogne where electricity is still looked on with awe by some of the natives (though that does beg the question of how exactly you do look at electricity).

The why I registered with this forum is because I saw Charlie Reams plugging it nearly as shamelessly as Desperate O'Connor trying to flog his remaindered stock. The difference is that I actually took Charlie's bait and came to find this place. I've been watching Countdown on and off for years, probably first in about 1984 when Channel 4 reached my town. I used to sit with a pen and a pad and play against the contestants in those days. Since I've been watching again intermittently in recent years I just try to conjure words up in my head, usually pretty feebly. I've got quite strong opinions about how the show has evolved over the years, but they can wait a bit longer to be unleashed ...

Anyway, one thing I would like to say is how much I am in admiration of everyone who actually dares to go onto the programme whether they be geniuses, or dunderheads like myself. Oh, and I hope Rachel continues to wear that white top she had on in yesterday's show.
Last edited by Jon Duncan on Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Ian Fitzpatrick
Enthusiast
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:23 pm
Location: Wimborne, Dorset

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:33 pm

It would be interesting to know how many people have joined the forum since Charlie has been plugging it.

From my point of view it has added another dimension just reading what the champs have been up to over the years. It is just a pity that we won't see their like again.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9424
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Charlie Reams » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:It would be interesting to know how many people have joined the forum since Charlie has been plugging it.
http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 270#p24270 (could maybe do with an update)
From my point of view it has added another dimension just reading what the champs have been up to over the years. It is just a pity that we won't see their like again.
Glad you enjoyed it but rest assured, they'll be plenty more champions of equal or greater skill in the next few years.

Jennifer McElroy
Newbie
Posts: 20
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Jennifer McElroy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:58 pm

Hello Countdowners..
I am probably a bit out of place here amongst all you young and very young ones, but I am a Countdown lover.
I have watched the show from its conception, and all the changes. Some good some not so good.
Thoughts on the new format:
Don't like the fact that they don't show the words anymore. Some of the contestants mutter their selections and it is not possible to understand the words all of the time. I do feel that it is important for children especially to see how the word is spelt.
Where is the audience these days? We hear a kind of raucus "canned" laughter but don't see them any more. Maybe there isn't one? :lol:
The presenters..apart from the lovely Susie, need to relax more.
Keep off the football!!! I know that is his day job, but leave it there.

User avatar
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic
Posts: 2314
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: My bedroom

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Kai Laddiman » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Jennifer McElroy wrote:I am probably a bit out of place here amongst all you young and very young ones, but I am a Countdown lover
Then you are not out of place! Welcome everyone! :)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.

User avatar
AnnieHall
Acolyte
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:31 am
Location: London

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by AnnieHall » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:31 pm

Welcome Jennifer! We are in the same boat.

Please can somebody tell me how to quote from another post?

User avatar
AnnieHall
Acolyte
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:31 am
Location: London

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by AnnieHall » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:32 pm

Jennifer McElroy wrote:Hello Countdowners..
I am probably a bit out of place here amongst all you young and very young ones, but I am a Countdown lover.
I have watched the show from its conception, and all the changes. Some good some not so good.
Thoughts on the new format:
Don't like the fact that they don't show the words anymore. Some of the contestants mutter their selections and it is not possible to understand the words all of the time. I do feel that it is important for children especially to see how the word is spelt.
Where is the audience these days? We hear a kind of raucus "canned" laughter but don't see them any more. Maybe there isn't one? :lol:
The presenters..apart from the lovely Susie, need to relax more.
Keep off the football!!! I know that is his day job, but leave it there.

User avatar
AnnieHall
Acolyte
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:31 am
Location: London

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by AnnieHall » Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:33 pm

It's ok - just noticed "Quote" button!

This forum is nice & easy to use! :P

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9424
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Charlie Reams » Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:43 pm

Jennifer McElroy wrote:Where is the audience these days? We hear a kind of raucus "canned" laughter but don't see them any more. Maybe there isn't one? :lol:
There is no canned laughter, although the recognisable guffaw of Dudley the warm-up guy may sound like it.

User avatar
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter
Posts: 1492
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:57 pm
Location: Leeds, UK
Contact:

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Martin Gardner » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:31 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jennifer McElroy wrote:Where is the audience these days? We hear a kind of raucus "canned" laughter but don't see them any more. Maybe there isn't one? :lol:
There is no canned laughter, although the recognisable guffaw of Dudley the warm-up guy may sound like it.
Yeah I think it's Dudley.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 9667
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Gavin Chipper » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:40 pm

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:My way would probably be LLLLN LLLLN LNLNC
That would mean someone picks 2 numbers games more.
There's no need for selections to strictly alternate. In fact they can't have done in the 9-round format or only one person would have picked the numbers. LLLN LLLNC

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest