Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:I dislike the numbers games too, although for no particular medical reason.
Is that why the Daily Duels always seem so heavily biased against numbers? It seems rare lately for there to be more than one numbers round per duel.
Last edited by Phil Reynolds on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

jeffineastyorks wrote:Lets hear it for RR
Couldn't agree more. Stunning women often aren't very nice with it. Clever people are often, well, nerdy. For her to be so beautiful, academic and still be an absolutely lovely person as well... well, I just can't speak highly enough of her. I just hope fame doesn't change all that.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:I dislike the numbers games too, although for no particular medical reason.
Is that why the Daily Duels always seem so heavily biased against numbers? It seems rare lately for there to be more than one numbers round per duel.
The round formats are generated automatically, on the format [Lx N]y[Lx C]z where x, y, and z are chosen (non-uniformly) at random. Occasionally I tinker to make weird stuff happen (e.g. a day of all numbers rounds) but not much lately. I think it's just luck of the draw, but easily corrected...
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

Thanks Charlie,
I'm delighted there is still a live audience and I've just had a reply from Jason as well on this.
It's a shame we don't get to see the audience as I think this adds a personal touch to the show, and while I appreciate the time to set up the shot, I think it is worth it. But hey, I'm not the producer and all strength to the show.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
The round formats are generated automatically, on the format [Lx N]y[Lx C]z where x, y, and z are chosen (non-uniformly) at random. Occasionally I tinker to make weird stuff happen (e.g. a day of all numbers rounds) but not much lately. I think it's just luck of the draw, but easily corrected...
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's the existence of the Lx C thing that could be (part of) the problem. Surely it should be LxNC to finish.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote: At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's the existence of the Lx C thing that could be (part of) the problem. Surely it should be LxNC to finish.
I don't know, I never really intended it to be a superset of the regular 15 round game, just to offer a balance of rounds and be reasonably unpredictable. The poll was highly inconclusive, but I did slightly increase the frequency of numbers rounds, albeit probably not enough for anyone to actually notice without statistics. I've scheduled some interesting stuff for the next week or so anyway, so that should shut you up for a bit.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it's the existence of the Lx C thing that could be (part of) the problem. Surely it should be LxNC to finish.
I don't know, I never really intended it to be a superset of the regular 15 round game, just to offer a balance of rounds and be reasonably unpredictable. The poll was highly inconclusive, but I did slightly increase the frequency of numbers rounds, albeit probably not enough for anyone to actually notice without statistics. I've scheduled some interesting stuff for the next week or so anyway, so that should shut you up for a bit.
Maybe it will. Actually I've got out of the habit of doing the duels every day, so maybe I'll make more of an effort.
Kate Richardson
Rookie

Post by Kate Richardson »

I'm new to this, just finished filming, I ha an absolute ball.

I guess I cannot talk about anything yet ?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

kate richardson wrote:I'm new to this, just finished filming, I ha an absolute ball.

I guess I cannot talk about anything yet ?
Welcome! Sounds like you had a great time. You can tell us your first transmission date, and who was in DC, but nothing else please.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Welcome to all the new people! :D I only joined two months ago and a hundred new have joined since then, wow! (lol I'm not implying they're my disciples or anything!) It's so busy in here at the moment - I'm finding it hard trying to keep up. It's vibrant! :D

And I'd like to give Charlie a big thumbs up (is there anyone other than him at the helm? Sorry, and praise to you too if there is) for making this such a fabulous place to hang out in. *adopt cool voice* "Countdowners, we rock!" 8-) :lol:
Vikash Shah
Rookie

Post by Vikash Shah »

Hi, I'm Vik, a long-time part-time fan of the show. Generally tend to Sky+ the show and skip to the numbers, teasers and conundrums. I watch more if I like the contestants, recent favourites include Conor, Kai and Junaid! Currently I'm obsessed with Rachel, who is SEX on legs :lol:
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Hi all, I'm new here as I'm sure you've guessed (though I've been aware of the forums for a while). I went for my recording yesterday- it's so nerve-wracking!
Thanks to everyone for making the day who was there for making the day enjoyable (though I spent too much time worrying to enjoy it as much as I could have done).
I don't think it's sunk in yet that I'll actually be able to see myself on TV soon. How embarrassing.
Also, the choice of guest for the Corner was a very good one. By coincidence we went home on the same train, so I was able to have a chat with the person at the station whilst waiting for the stupid thing to turn up (I hate trains). The person is genuinely just very pleasant and cheerful- very nice personality (it's hard to know how much I can give away- am I allowed to refer to the guest as he or she for instance?).
Awesome to have Countdown back :D (though being a student I can only watch it occassionally :( )
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Neil Zussman wrote: Awesome to have Countdown back :D (though being a student I can only watch it occassionally :( )
What?! What do you mean as a student only watch it occasionally? Surely being a student is the only time in life (apart from when you're retired) when you have ample free time to watch such luxuries. Or even use 4od like me when you get home? Anyway could you PM me who was in dictionary corner please, I'd be interested but I'm not sure it's apt for the rest of the forum to know.
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Neil Zussman wrote: Awesome to have Countdown back :D (though being a student I can only watch it occassionally :( )
What?! What do you mean as a student only watch it occasionally? Surely being a student is the only time in life (apart from when you're retired) when you have ample free time to watch such luxuries.
You would've thought so wouldn't you? But contrary to what most of my family seems to think, I do actually have lectures to attend...
I do catch up using 4od from time to time, of course, but unlike some devotees on here, there is an upper bound on the amount of Countdown my brain can take at a time!
Stuart

Post by Stuart »

Hi

Have just signed up to this forum so thought I'd say hello.

I'm Stuart Moore, currently work in higher education, and am proud to say I'm a Countdown winner (appearing way back in 2001, winning episode 3021 in series 44). I've still got my teapot (no doubt the best quiz prize on tv!) and dictionary (signed by Mr Whiteley). I recorded the episode when it was on aired on tv, but unfortunately I lost the video tape a couple of years ago. If anyone knows where I can get hold of a copy of the recording I would very much like to know.

It was a great experience being on the show and meeting Richard, Carol and Susie. It may seem petty, but I was quite disgruntled losing on my second show. I offered the word "reposits", as I knew it was in the dictionaries I had, but unfortunately wasn't in the New Oxford Dictionary (which, as we all know, is the only accepted source of words used on the show).
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

To all new people who have joined up recently, welcome to the forum :D
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Kirk Bevins wrote: Surely being a student is the only time in life (apart from when you're retired) when you have ample free time to watch such luxuries.
Or you can become self-employed and ignore the phone during Countdown (I just tell clients I was at the post office if I miss their calls!).
Kate Richardson
Rookie

Post by Kate Richardson »

Neil
let me tell you a little story about a student at manchester university 20 years ago....he missed some lectures to sell jeans and posters at the students union......that man was tom bloxman, founder of urban splash, the man who first started turning manchester warehouses into lofts and he is now vice-chancellor of manchester university

so for goodness sake, miss the odd lecture if you want to watch countdown and live a little you'll never have this experience to live and love life again....university is about more that boring old lectures believe me

by the way you tend to not meet many girls playing bridge, table tennis and table football might be worth pursuing some different hobbies mate
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

kate richardson wrote:Neil
let me tell you a little story about a student at manchester university 20 years ago....he missed some lectures to sell jeans and posters at the students union......that man was tom bloxman, founder of urban splash, the man who first started turning manchester warehouses into lofts and he is now vice-chancellor of manchester university
What about all the other people who skipped lectures to watch telly, failed their degree and now flip burgers in Burger King?
Neil Zussman
Enthusiast

Post by Neil Zussman »

kate richardson wrote: so for goodness sake, miss the odd lecture if you want to watch countdown and live a little you'll never have this experience to live and love life again....university is about more that boring old lectures believe me
It is unfortunate that the more entertaining choice (missing a lecture to watch countdown) is not necessarily the one that will work out better in the long term. Unless I am spotted by a talent scout for my amazing television watching skills of course. :D
kate richardson wrote: by the way you tend to not meet many girls playing bridge, table tennis and table football might be worth pursuing some different hobbies mate
You're telling me! I know about 2 females who play bridge or table tennis in total! But what can you do, life goes on? I don't have the right physique for ballet! :)
Chris Civil

Post by Chris Civil »

Hello all, my name is Chris Civil, I'm 31 and live and work in Birmingham for a law college. I used to be a keenish scrabble player and after playing one rated tournament where I got some lucky letters had a provisional ranking just outside the top UK 100, circumstances meant that I haven't played a tournament since then but I'm sure if I had then my rating would have fallen like a stone.

These days a lot of my spare time is consumed by pub crawling, my aim for 2008 was to visit 1000 different pubs which although I managed to do, I failed to keep records so have little idea what my final tally was. My aim for this year is similar, but with the addition of actually keeping track of where I have been.

I made my first application to go on countdown late last year and am still waiting to hear back, so in the meantime I have been scouring the net looking for any tips and practice I can get.

On the subject of missing lectures for countdown, I can relate to that. Although more often it was staying up to watch the repeat at 4am after a night out that was the problem. Sadly I'm more representative of the burger flipper example than I am the former.
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Chris Civil wrote: I made my first application to go on countdown late last year and am still waiting to hear back, so in the meantime I have been scouring the net looking for any tips and practice I can get.
No doubt you've found the perfect site then :) Welcome to the forum.
I was wondering does anybody have any info for when the auditions (London) are and how many there are a year, I wanna apply soon myself.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jimmy wrote:
No doubt you've found the perfect site then :) Welcome to the forum.
I was wondering does anybody have any info for when the auditions (London) are and how many there are a year, I wanna apply soon myself.
Alright Jimmy. I don't think they have specific dates for auditions. They see how many people have applied from the London area and once enough people apply from that area, it's worthwhile for a researcher to go to London to conduct an audition. So...get sending for that application form now!
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Chris Civil wrote:Hello all, my name is Chris Civil, I'm 31 and live and work in Birmingham for a law college. I used to be a keenish scrabble player and after playing one rated tournament where I got some lucky letters had a provisional ranking just outside the top UK 100, circumstances meant that I haven't played a tournament since then but I'm sure if I had then my rating would have fallen like a stone.

These days a lot of my spare time is consumed by pub crawling, my aim for 2008 was to visit 1000 different pubs which although I managed to do, I failed to keep records so have little idea what my final tally was. My aim for this year is similar, but with the addition of actually keeping track of where I have been.

I made my first application to go on countdown late last year and am still waiting to hear back, so in the meantime I have been scouring the net looking for any tips and practice I can get.

On the subject of missing lectures for countdown, I can relate to that. Although more often it was staying up to watch the repeat at 4am after a night out that was the problem. Sadly I'm more representative of the burger flipper example than I am the former.

Think I might have played you in a charity event somewhere near Chesterfield, back when JEANED wasn't allowed.
Chris Civil

Post by Chris Civil »

Craig Beevers wrote:Think I might have played you in a charity event somewhere near Chesterfield, back when JEANED wasn't allowed.
I think you might be right, I do seem to remember getting soundly thrashed by someone a lot like you.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Chris Civil wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:Think I might have played you in a charity event somewhere near Chesterfield, back when JEANED wasn't allowed.
I think you might be right, I do seem to remember getting soundly thrashed by someone a lot like you.
They may have been simply dressed as a rabbit?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Craig Beevers wrote:[Think I might have played you in a charity event somewhere near Chesterfield, back when JEANED wasn't allowed.
Is that how Scrabble people date things - by which words were and weren't allowed at the time?
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Well hello there, I've just joined a few of days after reading through a couple of chunks of the countdown wiki. It seems amusing that I have joined exactly one year after this thread was created, so i assume its also a year since this forum began. And today was also that day that Charlie plugged this site when his episode in the first round of the champions of champions 13 was shown. May I add, 67x7=469.

Sorry for all typos and spelling mistakes. Im not dyslexic, Im just a pretty poor excuse for a human being. I hope you all enjoy my being here, im not sure if it will be for a long time, or for a short time.
DanielH

Post by DanielH »

Hi there, I'm Daniel (you may call me Dan :)) I'm new here. I'm a big fan of Countdown (which I guess kind of helps when joining a forum like this!), I've been watching it for over 10 years now.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Welcome Jack and Daniel.
I hope you enjoy the forum.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

JackHurst wrote:Im just a pretty poor excuse for a human being.
If there's a prize for fitting right in on the very first post, Jack just won it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
JackHurst wrote:Im just a pretty poor excuse for a human being.
If there's a prize for fitting right in on the very first post, Jack just won it.
Hahaha. Welcome newbies, in the eve of our anniversary.
PsychoTony

Post by PsychoTony »

Hi All,

Tony Here. Countdown addict for many years and still thinking about applying.

I have appeared on Brainteaser.
Got to Audition stage for Krypton Factor and Wogans Perfect Recall.

Regards
Tony
Nottm Forest Supporting Father of 8.
"If a player had said to Bill Shankly 'I've got to speak to my agent', Bill would have hit him. And I would have held him while he hit him"
Brian Howard Clough, OBE (21 March 1935 – 20 September 2004)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

PsychoTony wrote:Hi All,

Regards
Tony
If you are serious about applying then get on apterous: it's the fightclub for countdowners.
tommyo

Post by tommyo »

Helllo!!!!!!!!!!

[Spoiler] Hello!!! - just checking if the spoiler works! [/Spoiler]
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

PsychoTony wrote:Hi All,

Regards
Tony
Hi Tony, welcome to the forum, you sure sound psycho to me ;). I am also a countdown addict (I mean really). :). Other than that, same as what David said.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Welcome to the forum Chris, Jack, Daniel, Tommy and Tony.
Andrew Booth

Post by Andrew Booth »

Hello everybody

My name is Andrew Booth, long time fan of the game and appeared in Series 40 back in 1999.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Welcome, Tony.

"Football is not a matter of Life and Death.....It's more important than that!!" Brian Howard Clough, OBE (21 March 1935 – 20 September 2004)

I've disagreed with many things I've read here, but not often with anyone's signature! Bill Shankly, surely. He also once said, I believe, "Brian Clough's worse than the rain in Manchester. At least God stops that occasionally."

David
PsychoTony

Post by PsychoTony »

David Williams wrote:Welcome, Tony.

"Football is not a matter of Life and Death.....It's more important than that!!" Brian Howard Clough, OBE (21 March 1935 – 20 September 2004)

I've disagreed with many things I've read here, but not often with anyone's signature! Bill Shankly, surely. He also once said, I believe, "Brian Clough's worse than the rain in Manchester. At least God stops that occasionally."

David
This was always something I thought Cloughie had said first, but have changed my sig accordingly.

Cheers
PT
"If a player had said to Bill Shankly 'I've got to speak to my agent', Bill would have hit him. And I would have held him while he hit him"
Brian Howard Clough, OBE (21 March 1935 – 20 September 2004)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

David O'Donnell wrote:Get on apterous: it's the fightclub for countdowners.
Rules No 1 and 2: We do NOT talkABOUT FIGHT CLUB!!! :twisted:
Steven Tew
Rookie

Post by Steven Tew »

Hi - I'm Steven Tew, I have been watching Countdown forever, and was a contestant way back in series 6 - Dictionary corner had Gyles Brandreth in his wooly pully days, and Yvonne Warberton from the COD. Carol Vorderman was relatively unknown but Richard Whitely already had a huge collection of jackets. I won one game and then lost by one point to the series champion, Darryl Francis (who was pretty damn good). He beat me on the conundrum, which was "bishopric" (why didn't I get that?). One of the shows I was on was broadcast on my birthday.
Last edited by Steven Tew on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Welcome to all the recent newcomers.

You seem an interesting bunch and a good addition to the forum.

Anyone thinking of applying to appear on CD should do so as it is a great experience and then spend as much time on apterous as you can spare in the meantime.

Best wishes - Al.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

aagharmer wrote:spend as much time on apterous as you can spare in the meantime
What, you mean apterous.org?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Steven wrote:Hi - I'm Steven Tew, I have been watching Countdown forever, and was a contestant way back in series 6 - Dictionary corner had Gyles Brandreth in his wooly pully days, and Yvonne Warberton from the COD. Carol Vorderman was relatively unknown but Richard Whitely already had a huge collection of jackets. I won one game and then lost by one point to the series champion, Darryl Francis (who was pretty damn good). He beat me on the conundrum, which was "bishopric" (why didn't I get that?). One of the shows I was on was broadcast on my 25th birthday, which really was a long time ago now.
Cool. Darryl is still a big shot in the Scrabble world. Also I was laughing childishly at the word BISHOPRIC only yesterday, so we obviously have some kind of connection. Are you a Libra?
Scott Bagnall

Post by Scott Bagnall »

Hi, i have just found this forum and as a massive fan of the show i thought i'd join. I've been watching Countdown for roughly 4-5 years i think, but pretty much religously for the past couple of years. I am not very good at it, but i do try very hard and get great enjoyment out of it which is obviously the main thing. If it was a game based more around numbers then i think i would do ok. Still, i guess i do every now and then i get good words also, but i'd need to improve so much to even consider going on the show.

I'm really enjoying this recent tournament and what a game yesterday!
Steven Tew
Rookie

Post by Steven Tew »

Just dug out an old photo for my avatar - I had more hair then, and it wasn't grey!

No, not a Libra, since you asked.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Welcome to the forum, Andrew, Steven and Scotty :)
Tracey Lilly
Rookie

Post by Tracey Lilly »

Hi Every one.
I have recently joined after discovering the site existed from Charlie who recently reappeared in the Champion of Champions Series
I used to record the programme and play in the mornings so if I was interrupted I could pause, but now I have discovered its availability on Channel 4 Catch Up.
I am a very average player and rarely beat any of the contestants but it keeps the 'grey matter' in good order.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Tracey Lilly wrote:Hi Every one.
I have recently joined after discovering the site existed from Charlie who recently reappeared in the Champion of Champions Series
I used to record the programme and play in the mornings so if I was interrupted I could pause, but now I have discovered its availability on Channel 4 Catch Up.
I am a very average player and rarely beat any of the contestants but it keeps the 'grey matter' in good order.
Welcome to the forum Tracey.

I don't know if you already know, but Charlie has created a site called Apterous, where you can play Countdown :)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Steven wrote:No, not a Libra, since you asked
Capricorn, by any chance? No, me neither.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Evening all, joined the forum today after Charlie got his plug in on the show, and was amused by some of the banter going on (Especially with Jennifer Turner's comment about the lovely Rachel) :lol: - Started watching on and off in 1992/1993 as it was one of things in my life that taught me maths and to play around with words!

I'm a studying musician and I work in a studio and I'm a bassist and drummer.

Look forward to interacting with you all!
Steven Tew
Rookie

Post by Steven Tew »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Steven wrote:No, not a Libra, since you asked
Capricorn, by any chance? No, me neither.
No. Ten guesses left. Mind you, there is a clue in my original post.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

You're Aquarius!
Steven Tew
Rookie

Post by Steven Tew »

Kai Laddiman wrote:You're Aquarius!
I am indeed.
judith h

Post by judith h »

Hi

My name is Judith. I have been watching Countdown almost from the beginning. I love the letters-rounds and the conundrums. But I am improving all the time with the numbers-game. Countdown has endured because of it's simple formula and because it strikes the right balance between entertainment and educating the viewer. It is just great to watch.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Hello!

I'm Hannah, and I admit that I haven't really been a fan of Countdown- I've probably watched it a few times in the past, but after finding out it was repeated at around 5am in the week, I decided to watch it then. Suddenly, I've been converted! I could improve a lot at it though- a sign of my lack of ability is getting excited about getting a 7-letter word.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Welcome newbies. Sounds like you'll both fit in perfectly.
Daniel O'Dowd
Acolyte

Post by Daniel O'Dowd »

Hi, I'm Dan from Carlisle, can't quite remember what brought me here asides strong interest in the show especially given current high-standard CoC. May as well make this a nice long introduction, since the law of averages dictates there must be a few people who'll want to get to know me more than cursorily. :mrgreen: Been watching for a good 10 years now, intermittently really, and had an audition to appear on show in 2003, failing through poor word spotting (but managing 27/30 on numbers). Have sometimes thought about returning, but having played Scrabble for a few years non-competitively now (I've toyed with going tournament-level, but my Ronnie O'Sullivan-style fallouts with the game kinda scupper that, as does my stronger heritage for chess), I'm unsure as to how many words I'd have to unlearn, per se. Well, that and I have my fingers in more pies than which I'd care to remove, to devote enough time to the game to achieve a high enough standard.

As mentioned above, main interest is chess; 100 ECF for anyone who wants a game :lol: Managed to play for county a few times! Speak 9 languages to varying degrees, love learning more, though only really want fluency in 3 or 4. Particularly enjoying JS and RR fitting in, far far better than Des O anyways. Have signed up to Apterous, but don't quite know how to initiate a game (MSN required?). And I'm sure I'm not alone in greatly enjoying outnumbermongering the hosts.

Voilà moi!
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Well with Scrabble I wouldn't unlearn them exactly, just learn the ones that are a little more obscure but are okay in Countdown. Then when you get on just not risk declare stuff unless it's common, you know specifically that it's okay or your opponent pushes you into taking a risk.

Carlisle's pretty quiet for Scrabble tourneys, but it's worth trying one sometime just to see if you like it.