Welcome! - Post here first

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Johnny Canuck
Devotee

Re: Welcome! - Post here first

Post by Johnny Canuck » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:27 pm

And rounding off the pantheon of best training practices for each Countdown discipline... it's very useful to learn all 9-letter words that are plurals, present-tense -S verbs, capitalised, not in the ODO or obscene to train for conundrums.
Otherwise known as "Will", "JC", or "that guy who's bad at The Mole".

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:42 pm

Since this has turned into a general advice thread, I think this is pretty good. It's about football, but it can apply elsewhere.

JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:24 pm

Another thing that can help is, after spotting a normal word like EMO or RAG, looking at the remaining letters to see if there is a prefix or suffix that might extend it (-TION and -STONE for those examples).
Last edited by JJ Smith on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JJ Smith
Rookie

Post by JJ Smith » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:30 pm

Johnny Canuck wrote:And rounding off the pantheon of best training practices for each Countdown discipline... it's very useful to learn all 9-letter words that are plurals, present-tense -S verbs, capitalised, not in the ODO or obscene to train for conundrums.
In daily life I tend to avoid using these words, so they are less prominent in my vocabulary. If I am asking more than one cardigan for example, I will say "Could I have a cardigan, and then one additional cardigan, thank you."

Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:22 am

JJ Smith wrote:Another thing that can help is, after spotting a normal word like EMO or RAG, looking at the remaining letters to see if there is a prefix or suffix that might extend it (-TION and -STONE for those examples).
EMOSTONE?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles

Stephen R

Post by Stephen R » Thu May 12, 2016 9:27 am

Finally got round to making an account here. I've been on apterous for a number of years, gone to one Co event (Leeds), with hopefully more coming up if I can get to them.

Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor » Fri May 13, 2016 8:23 pm

Welcome to the forum Stephen. :)

Yes it would be great to see you at more Co events in the future, as well as your continued presence on apterous. :)

Noel Mc
Rookie

Post by Noel Mc » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:45 pm

Hello All,
New to here. Been on Apterous a few months. Passed a CD audition in October. I am a teacher in Ireland though and my (amazing, but) inflexible holidays mean I have no idea when I'll be filming.

None of my available dates up to the end of the Summer suit, so it could be a long time before I grace the studios! That just gives me some time to work towards my aim - to not get hammered in my show. Winning a game would be a very welcome bonus, but avoiding embarrassment is the aim!

Once again, hello to all :)

Jennifer Steadman
Devotee

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:29 pm

Noel Mc wrote:Hello All,
New to here. Been on Apterous a few months. Passed a CD audition in October. I am a teacher in Ireland though and my (amazing, but) inflexible holidays mean I have no idea when I'll be filming.

None of my available dates up to the end of the Summer suit, so it could be a long time before I grace the studios! That just gives me some time to work towards my aim - to not get hammered in my show. Winning a game would be a very welcome bonus, but avoiding embarrassment is the aim!

Once again, hello to all :)
Welcome! I heard that they're filming series 76 as quickly as possible so Rachel can have an extended break to spend with Pasha (their work schedules apparently keep colliding) so it might not be until way later on in the year when they do series 77. More time for you to practise though!

Hopefully you'll be able to go to at least one of the Irish events this year and meet some of us weirdos :)
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:32 pm

Who or what is Pasha?

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:36 pm

the affair dancer thing

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:39 pm

Matt Morrison wrote:the affair dancer thing
Right. I suppose Jen's so into her celebrity gossip that she would just assume everyone would know about this stuff.

Jennifer Steadman
Devotee

Post by Jennifer Steadman » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Right. I suppose Jen's so into her celebrity gossip that she would just assume everyone would know about this stuff.
Or maybe everyone does know about this stuff except you. (Seriously though, it's pretty common knowledge.)
proud tiara owner and annoying publicity person who tells you to click links to the the FOCAL website.

(and also to my TRAVEL BLOG)

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:07 pm

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Or maybe everyone does know about this stuff except you. (Seriously though, it's pretty common knowledge.)
Actually I was aware there was some thing but I had no idea his name was Pasha.

Peter Mabey
Devotee

Post by Peter Mabey » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:02 pm

Never heard of Pasha or watched Strictly, so needed Google to tell me what that was all about :?

Noel Mc
Rookie

Post by Noel Mc » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:27 pm

At the behest of starting a new thread for, something which requires a fairly quick answer:

Can I enquire what sort of paper the contestants use on Countdown? Blank/lined/squared?
Also, do they get given a pencil/pen or other writing implement (quill and their own blood?)

Sean Fletcher
Rookie

Post by Sean Fletcher » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:33 pm

blank paper and a pen

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:58 pm

Noel Mc wrote:At the behest of starting a new thread for, something which requires a fairly quick answer:

Can I enquire what sort of paper the contestants use on Countdown? Blank/lined/squared?
Also, do they get given a pencil/pen or other writing implement (quill and their own blood?)
They do indeed get given their own blood, which freaks most of them out as they have no recollection of it ever being taken.