If all of us were to meet...

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

If all of us were to meet...

Post by Jason Larsen »

If all of us were to meet somewhere in England, I would be happy. Here, in a nutshell, is why:

I have been practicing at Countdown and have become very good at it. I haven't spotted any nines yet, but I have spotted a few sevens. I have also studied my 75 times tables. The only strategy I haven't come up with is how to solve conundrums. Can anyone come up with such strategies?

Honestly, it took me a little while to warm up to all of you, but even though I don't understand some of your senses of humor, you are all great people.

Most likely, I would guess that either Charlie, Damian, Kate or Lara would present the event.

I would also be very glad to meet some of your families.

I'm not saying it will happen, but if it did, how would you all feel?

(Note: This thread was inspired by the "Thanks YTV" thread and has been edited down from a long description of one of my recent dreams.)
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Re: If all of us were to meet...

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Although we gradually get to recognise someone's forum style, it doesn't necessarily reflect how we would regard them if we met face to face.
It is fairly obvious from the recent "thanks ytv" thread that the opportunity to meet people in the flesh has been a great pleasure for many who had previously only corresponded through a forum.
(Perhaps it is best not to wonder if people were agreeably surprised or disappointed on meeting someone they previously only knew by name).
Those who have met sound genuinely delighted by the experience.
I think meeting someone face-to-face is likely to be much more revealing than on paper (or on screen, rather).
Often our preconceptions are shown to be misguided and we regard people in a new light.

Jason, you are obviously a great fan of Countdown and other TV game-shows, and I would guess that the dream would be a great experience for you and other enthusiasts.
Fairly unlikely to happen, I would guess, but the dream is a nice one.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Well i guess i've probably met more forumites than anyone else around, so for what its worth, i'd save your airfare Jason and stay in the USA.

Most of the guys here are dangerously warped and if it were not for the fact that our prisons are massively overcrowded, i'd suspect that at least 75% of them would be serving custodial sentences right now. Richard Brittain, David O'Donnell, Dinos The Chemist, the list is endless really,

In fact there is only really Joseph Bolas who could be considered as partially normal.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you all for your input!
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Damian E wrote:Well i guess i've probably met more forumites than anyone else around, so for what its worth, i'd save your airfare Jason and stay in the USA.

Most of the guys here are dangerously warped and if it were not for the fact that our prisons are massively overcrowded, i'd suspect that at least 75% of them would be serving custodial sentences right now. Richard Brittain, David O'Donnell, Dinos The Chemist, the list is endless really,

In fact there is only really Joseph Bolas who could be considered as partially normal.
Let us worship the almighty Damo, for he can foresee all...
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

:D :D :D Brilliant.

Back to the OP - who else would be willing to put £20 into a pot to get Big Jase over for a Co event? We'd only need like 30 people to do it. #TeamBigJase
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Jennifer Steadman wrote::D :D :D Brilliant.

Back to the OP - who else would be willing to put £20 into a pot to get Big Jase over for a Co event? We'd only need like 30 people to do it. #TeamBigJase
I'd be willing to kick in $50 Canadian. Mind you, that's only worth like £1 right now. And everyone's blaming Justin Trudeau.

EDIT: This must be the chronologically largest BUMP in C4C history. When the last post before today's was made, Apterous wasn't even a thing yet.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Make it a biggun, like COLIN or MK, and I'm down.
cheers maus
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Remember, Jen, I still have my passport!

Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Remember, Jen, I still have my passport!
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I guess the only thing left to do now is get Dinos put in prison somehow.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Mark Deeks wrote:I guess the only thing left to do now is get Dinos put in prison somehow.
What, O'Donnell is locked up too? What did he do this time?
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Johnny Canuck wrote:This must be the chronologically largest BUMP in C4C history. When the last post before today's was made, Apterous wasn't even a thing yet.
And Ralph Gillions has passed on since.
Matty Artell
Rookie

Post by Matty Artell »

Yes x1000. I'd probably up that to £50 if it actually happens <3
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

https://www.gofundme.com/4kr35e9d Let's make this happen!
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Jason, which event would you most like to attend?

I'll donate in the morning, and will double my contribution if you perform the Coronation Street theme tune <3
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Matty Artell
Rookie

Post by Matty Artell »

Dan McColm wrote:https://www.gofundme.com/4kr35e9d Let's make this happen!
Before anyone donates anything I think we should check with Jason whether he actually can/wants to, and how much it would cost?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you very much, Dan! That is so nice of you!
Matty Artell
Rookie

Post by Matty Artell »

Jason Larsen wrote:
Thank you very much, Dan! That is so nice of you!
I'll take that as a "yes" to my previous question then :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I might be able to attend a Countdown event in the distant future and I would really like to, but I would have to plan making the time for it in advance. We will see if I can think about that and if that actually happens.
Matty Artell
Rookie

Post by Matty Artell »

Holy cow, £100 raised already in 9 hours - you'll be here in no time :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Really?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Johnny Canuck wrote:

I'd be willing to kick in $50 Canadian. Mind you, that's only worth like £1 right now. And everyone's blaming Justin Trudeau.

EDIT: This must be the chronologically largest BUMP in C4C history. When the last post before today's was made, Apterous wasn't even a thing yet.
Maybe. Is it longer now than that thread where Charlie bumped his own forum-opening post? It might be.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles