OVER and UNDER

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

OVER and UNDER

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I decided to find out what words you could have on Countdown, that can be preceded by OVER only, UNDER only and by both OVER and UNDER. This is what I came up with (with possibly a few mistakes, because its me :lol:):

Words (and groups of letters) that can be preceded with OVER only:

ACTED, AGE, AGED, AGES, ALL, ALLED, ALLS, ARCH, ATE, AWE, AWED, AWES, AWING, BEAR, BEARS, BITES, BLOWN, BOARD, BOLD, BOOK, BOOKS, BOOT, BOOTS, BORE, BORNE, BREED, BRIM, BRIMS, BUILD, BUILT, BUSY, BUY, BUYS, CALL, CALLS, CAME, CASTS, CHECK, CLASS, CLOCK, CLOUD, COATS, COME, COMES, COOKS, CROP, CROPS, CROWD, DAMPS, DATE, DATES, DID, DO, DOES, DOING, DOSE, DOSED, DOSES, DRAFT, DRANK, DRAW, DRAWN, DRAWS, DRESS, DREW, DRIED, DRIES, DRINK, DRIVE, DRUNK, DRY, DUB, DUBS, DUE, DYE, DYED, DYES, DYING, EAGER, EAT, EATEN, EATER, EATS, EXERT, FALL, FALLS, FEED, FEEDS, FILL, FILLS, FINE, FISH, FLEW, FLIES, FLOWN, FLOWS, FLY, FOLD, FOLDS, FOND, FULL, FUNDS, GLAZE, GRAZE, GREW, GROW, GROWN, GROWS, HANG, HANGS, HASTY, HAUL, HAULS, HEAD, HEADS, HEAR, HEARD, HEARS, HEAT, HEATS, HIT, HITS, HYPE, HYPED, HYPES, ISSUE, JOYED, KEEN, KILL, LADEN, LAND, LANDS, LAP, LAPS, LARGE, LAYER, LEAF, LEAP, LEAPS, LEAPT, LOAD, LOADS, LOCK, LOCKS, LONG, LOOK, LOOKS, LORD, LORDS, LOUD, LY, LYING, MATCH, MEN, MUCH, NICE, NIGHT, PACK, PACKS, PAINT, PITCH, PLAYS, PLUS, POWER, PRICE, PRINT, PROOF, RAN, RATED, RATES, REACH, REACT, RIDE, RIDER, RIDES, RIPE, RODE, RUFF, RUFFS, RULE, RULED, RULES, RUN, RUNS, S, SAIL, SAILS, SAW, SCAN, SEAS, SEE, SEEN, SEER, SEERS, SEES, SELLS, SEW, SEWED, SEWN, SEWS, SEXED, SHIRT, SHOE, SHOES, SHOOT, SIGHT, SITE, SITES, SIZED, SKIRT, SLEEP, SLEPT, SOUL, SPEND, SPENT, SPILL, SPIN, SPRAY, STATE, STAY, STAYS, STEER, STEP, STEPS, STOCK, STUDY, STUFF, SWEET, T, TAKEN, TAKES, TASK, TASKS, TAX, TAXED, TAXES, THREW, THROW, TIME, TIRE, TIRED, TIRES, TLY, TNESS, TONES, TOP, TOPS, TRADE, TRAIN, TRICK, TRUMP, TURE, TURES, TURN, TURNS, TYPE, TYPED, TYPES, USING, VALUE, VIEW, VIEWS, WATER, WHELM, WIND, WINDS, WORKS, WOUND, WRAP, WRAPS, WRITE, WROTE

Words (and groups of letters) that can be preceded with UNDER only:

ARMS, BODY, BOSS, CARD, CART, COOL, CUT, CUTS, FELT, FOOT, FUR, GIRD, GO, GOES, GONE, GRAD, LET, LETS, LIFE, LINE, LING, LIP, LIPS, LIT, MINE, MOST, PART, PIN, PINS, PLOT, PROP, SEAL, SOIL, SOW, SOWN, SOWS, TINT, TOW, TOWS, VEST, VOTE, WENT, WING, WIRE, WOOD

Words that can be preceded by both OVER and UNDER:

ACT, ACTS, ARM, BID, BIDS, BITE, BRED, CAST, COAT, COOK, DAMP, DOG, DOGS, DONE, FED, FLOW, FUND, HAND, HUNG, LAID, LAIN, LAY, LAYS, LIE, LIES, MAN, MANS, PAID, PASS, PAY, PAYS, PLAY, RATE, SEA, SELL, SET, SETS, SHOT, SIDE, SIZE, SOLD, TAKE, TIP, TIPS, TONE, TOOK, USE, USED, USES, WEAR, WORK

I have way too much time on my hands :oops:.
Last edited by Joseph Bolas on Thu May 29, 2008 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: OVER and UNDER

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Well in. Quite interesting. Could've been done with a computer in about five minutes but how woudl you fill your time then? ;)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ginger Jono wrote:Well in. Quite interesting. Could've been done with a computer in about five minutes but how woudl you fill your time then? ;)
I tend to overcomplicate things :oops: so if there is an easier way to do things, then I wont spot it :lol:

What I did was I downloaded a copy of the dictionary and then copied all the OVER words and UNDER words into separate notepad documents. I then replaced OVER and UNDER with nothing (so it would just delete the word) and then put the lists into the prargraph style above (as each word was originally on a separate line).

I then, using the UNDER list saw how many words in the UNDER list appeared in the OVER list and then noted them separately in a 3rd notepad document. I then deleted these words from the OVER and UNDER list and then copied my final 3 separate word lists into here, titled them and then posted :D.

It killed a bit of time :D

EDIT: Thats why I am expecting there to be mistakes :oops:
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Ginger Jono wrote:Well in. Quite interesting. Could've been done with a computer in about five minutes but how woudl you fill your time then? ;)
I tend to overcomplicate things :oops: so if there is an easier way to do things, then I wont spot it :lol:

What I did was I downloaded a copy of the dictionary and then copied all the OVER words and UNDER words into separate notepad documents. I then replaced OVER and UNDER with nothing (so it would just delete the word) and then put the lists into the prargraph style above (as each word was originally on a separate line).

I then, using the UNDER list saw how many words in the UNDER list appeared in the OVER list and then noted them separately in a 3rd notepad document. I then deleted these words from the OVER and UNDER list and then copied my final 3 separate word lists into here, titled them and then posted :D.

It killed a bit of time :D

EDIT: Thats why I am expecting there to be mistakes :oops:
In a way then it's a pity you can't have OVERHOVER* ;)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Wilson wrote:In a way then it's a pity you can't have OVERHOVER* ;)
I don't think I get this.

EDIT: I can't believe I didn't get this :oops:, very clever Ben :D.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Joseph, Joseph, Joseph!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

How then would I be able to find all the words used in Countdown that can be hooked (front and end hooks, like in Scrabble)?

For example, MENTAL can be hooked with an O at the beginning to get OMENTAL and MONSTER can be hooked with an 'A' at the end to get MONSTERA.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Write a program. Given my experience in observing people who can actually do this, I think that would take about 5 minutes. Of course the hard bit would be going through and eliminating all the boring ones. Computers aren't good at that part.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:How then would I be able to find all the words used in Countdown that can be hooked (front and end hooks, like in Scrabble)?
My game can show you all letters that can be added to any word/group of letters to make longer words (this is more relevant to Countdown than plain hooking, since you obviously don't have to keep the letters in the same order)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Corby wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:How then would I be able to find all the words used in Countdown that can be hooked (front and end hooks, like in Scrabble)?
My game can show you all letters that can be added to any word/group of letters to make longer words (this is more relevant to Countdown than plain hooking, since you obviously don't have to keep the letters in the same order)
So for example, if I took the 8 letter word AMNIOTES, your game would come up with:

AMNIOTES + A = ANATOMIES, ANATOMISE
AMNIOTES + C = ENCOMIAST
AMNIOTES + D = DOMINATES, STAMINODE
AMNIOTES + F = MANIFESTO
AMNIOTES + M = AMMONITES
AMNIOTES + N = NOMINATES :D
AMNIOTES + P = PTOMAINES
AMNIOTES + Z = MONAZITES
Last edited by Joseph Bolas on Thu May 29, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Yeah.

Well, except MONAZITES actually. I don't have my ODE2r to hand, but I'm guessing that's a mass noun plural that (possibly) Jim's included in his dictionary but I haven't in mine...?

Oh, and it says NOMINATES and not NONIMATES ;)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Corby wrote:Yeah.

Well, except MONAZITES actually. I don't have my ODE2r to hand, but I'm guessing that's a mass noun plural that (possibly) Jim's included in his dictionary but I haven't in mine...?

Oh, and it says NOMINATES and not NONIMATES ;)
To be honest, I am not sure where I have got MONAZITES from :lol: I don't know if it appears in CountMax though, but it actually doesn't appear in the word list I have :oops:, so it mightn't be allowed. I think the mass noun that Susie allowed today (PALAGES was it?) is a new word too for the word list :roll:.

I have corrected the spelling of NOMINATES :oops:

To be honest, for now I am just looking for 1-letter hooks on words (allowed on Countdown). What else could your game do (eg what type of word lists could it generate etc)?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:To be honest, for now I am just looking for 1-letter hooks on words (allowed on Countdown). What else could your game do (eg what type of word lists could it generate etc)?
Well that's the only feature that's built-in with a nice GUI, but I can do pretty much anything with the dictionary file and various anagramming subroutines that the game houses. I solved that BACKFIELD puzzle (that I think you posted) using it (although I didn't post the answer because it said "no cheating") plus I did some more extensive research on "sevens that are never the maximum" for example recently, and found that the list from the corral is far from comprehensive. However, I like to keep the results of such research to myself because I'm a selfish cunt and I want to maintain any slight advantage I can muster for the forthcoming CoC.

Like Jono says, once you've got the basics in place, writing most routines to pull lists from it can be done in a matter of minutes. So if there's any word lists you'd like, request them, and if I'm ever bored I might do it for you :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Corby wrote:I did some more extensive research on "sevens that are never the maximum" for example recently, and found that the list from the corral is far from comprehensive. However, I like to keep the results of such research to myself because I'm a selfish cunt and I want to maintain any slight advantage I can muster for the forthcoming CoC.
So this table then, according your game, does not include every 7-letter-2-vowelled word where any vowel would make a valid 8?
Corby wrote:Like Jono says, once you've got the basics in place, writing most routines to pull lists from it can be done in a matter of minutes. So if there's any word lists you'd like, request them, and if I'm ever bored I might do it for you :)
Is this something thats easy to learn then? If it is, how could I go about learning the basics to then go on to write routines to create various types of word lists?

For now I am only after the 1-letter hooks on valid Countdown words to give another valid word and a list of words that are allowed on Countdown, that can be preceded by RE, to give another allowable word, if that makes sense.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Post by Ben Pugh »

Corby wrote:
Where can one find your game?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Ben Pugh wrote:Where can one find your game?
Mine's in a folder called C:\Countdown\Executable :D

Send an email to jon_corby@yahoo.co.uk and I'll send you a copy (this obviously applies to anyone.)

Although it might not be for a couple of days because I'm out on the piss straight from work tonight...

The 'extra' bits are hidden as well, so you have to do something worthy for me to tell you how to access them :)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Corby wrote:The 'extra' bits are hidden as well, so you have to do something worthy for me to tell you how to access them :)
What are the 'extra bits' or are they a secret?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:So this table then, according your game, does not include every 7-letter-2-vowelled word where any vowel would make a valid 8?
Correct.
Plus, equally as important, are ANY groups of 7 letters with 2 vowels or fewer, to which any vowel can be added to make an 8. There's lots of them too :D
Joseph Bolas wrote:Is this something thats easy to learn then? If it is, how could I go about learning the basics to then go on to write routines to create various types of word lists?
Well, yeah, but then I'm a programmer and stuff like this has always seemed fairly easy to me. The game is written in VB (as it's many, many years old) but I could equally take the dictionary data and stuff it into a database and write SQL queries to achieve the same stuff - so if you're a programmer, yeah it's easy, if you're not, it's not. And I'm guessing you're not since you asked the question :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:What are the 'extra bits' or are they a secret?
The game in its basic form lets you play a 1 or 2 player game of Countdown. In 1 player it keeps a "highest possible" score rather than employ some phoney CPU opponent. After each round DC shows you a selection of other available words (which will always include the maximum), plus it will also show you the best numbers solution (if a better one than the contestants was possible).

With the extras, you can fiddle with the clock, enter the rounds yourself (ie for playing along while watching on TV), see ALL anagrams available from a selection, and also see ALL possible expansions from words/groups of letters.

The dictionary is fully readable, searchable, and maintainable within the game also.

A bargain at £149.99.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Corby wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:What are the 'extra bits' or are they a secret?
The game in its basic form lets you play a 1 or 2 player game of Countdown. In 1 player it keeps a "highest possible" score rather than employ some phoney CPU opponent. After each round DC shows you a selection of other available words (which will always include the maximum), plus it will also show you the best numbers solution (if a better one than the contestants was possible).

With the extras, you can fiddle with the clock, enter the rounds yourself (ie for playing along while watching on TV), see ALL anagrams available from a selection, and also see ALL possible expansions from words/groups of letters.

The dictionary is fully readable, searchable, and maintainable within the game also.

A bargain at £149.99.
Is it possible to disable the feature where you can enter your own rounds so you could just play the game in its basic form and keep track of your score against the highest possible score each game?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:Is it possible to disable the feature where you can enter your own rounds so you could just play the game in its basic form and keep track of your score against the highest possible score each game?
Of course. That is the natural, default mode (for 1 player).
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Corby wrote:Well, yeah, but then I'm a programmer and stuff like this has always seemed fairly easy to me. The game is written in VB (as it's many, many years old) but I could equally take the dictionary data and stuff it into a database and write SQL queries to achieve the same stuff - so if you're a programmer, yeah it's easy, if you're not, it's not. And I'm guessing you're not since you asked the question :)
Yeah :lol: I am definitely not a programmer :oops:. It would be interesting to learn though, because I am unemployed at the moment and with having nothing really to do (except job hunting of course, but that doesn't take up a whole week :() it would give me something to pass the time :).
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Corby wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Is it possible to disable the feature where you can enter your own rounds so you could just play the game in its basic form and keep track of your score against the highest possible score each game?
Of course. That is the natural, default mode (for 1 player).
Thank you for the basic download :D.

Is it possible to disable the extra feature where you can enter your own rounds but still have the extra feature where you can see ALL possible expansions from words/groups of letters or is that pretty much the same thing (if that makes sense :oops:)?
Mikey Lear
Rookie

Post by Mikey Lear »

If you want to make lists and stuff, TEA is really good. Get it from http://www.crosswordman.com/teadown.html
It comes with its own dictionary but if you can get the Countdown dictionary as a .sthg file then it'll read that. I don't really know how to do that but my brother managed it fairly easily by using the dictionary file that is included in Soo's Countdown game.
You can do all sorts of things with TEA like finding anagrams and word patterns like the OVER- UNDER- ones and other stuff I've forgotten about.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Joseph, why were some of the words red?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Gevin-Gavin wrote:Joseph, why were some of the words red?
The words OVERDRIVE, OVERVALUE, OVERVIEW and OVERVIEWS are red because going by the current letter frequency used on the show, there is only 1 V (for now), therefore these words would not appear in any word round selections on the show (but don't get me wrong though, they could still appear in a CO-event word round).

OVERDRIVE and OVERVALUE though, could appear as conundrums (on the show) :).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Corby wrote: I did some more extensive research on "sevens that are never the maximum" for example recently, and found that the list from the corral is far from comprehensive. However, I like to keep the results of such research to myself because I'm a selfish cunt and I want to maintain any slight advantage I can muster for the forthcoming CoC.
You might not be the only person adopting such a strategy :)
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Welcome back Charlie boy :)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:Welcome back Charlie boy :)
Cheers bud. I'll post something interest eventually, but haven't watched the show for ages and after 9 hours of exams in 3 days, I can barely spell my own name.