To Those Attending The Finals

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

To Those Attending The Finals

Post by David O'Donnell »

I am landing in Leeds on Tuesday evening and from there will charter one of Leed's finest conveyances to navigate the urban sprawl and safely sojourn me in one of Leed's finest hostelries (ie, get a minicab to the Holiday Inn). As it's Irish stereotype week I will be probably be at the bar with my brother, so, feel free to introduce yourself. Likewise if I spot one of you guys I will not be shy. Of course if you wish to avoid me avoid the bar. If some of you are planning to get me drunk to take me out of the running that'll totally work - DO IT!! :twisted:
Michael Macdonald-Cooper

Re: To Those Attending The Finals

Post by Michael Macdonald-Cooper »

It's the way you tell them, David!

Look forward to seeing you there.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

:D
Last edited by JasonCullen on Mon Jun 02, 2008 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David O'Donnell wrote:If some of you are planning to get me drunk to take me out of the running that'll totally work - DO IT!! :twisted:
Don't make the same mistake I made! :o

(This would sound much more poignant if I was breathlessly choking the words out on my deathbed, so picture that.)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Michael Macdonald-Cooper wrote:It's the way you tell them, David!

Jason Larsen told me (in PM) that you wouldn't be there Michael....? I've spent a few weeks being disappointed about that, so I'm pleased to hear it's not the case. :D
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I'll be in the audience on Thursday. Looking forward to some entertaining games, and of course meeting everyone in the bar afterwards :)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Excellent stuff, Dinos. Looking forward to seeing you all there and I will be bringing a board (vinyl mat) and clock so Mr. MacDonald-Cooper can demonstrate his Morphy-esque playing style ;) .
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Corby wrote:
Michael Macdonald-Cooper wrote:It's the way you tell them, David!

Jason Larsen told me (in PM) that you wouldn't be there Michael....? I've spent a few weeks being disappointed about that, so I'm pleased to hear it's not the case. :D
Jason was right, he wasn't going to be there but then circumstances changed.

I'll be there on Tuesday night, will head for the bar. Just to make some of you jealous I probably won't be playing till Thursday!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Have a great time everyone :D

Dead jealous of you all :(
Michael Macdonald-Cooper

Post by Michael Macdonald-Cooper »

David O'Donnell wrote:Excellent stuff, Dinos. Looking forward to seeing you all there and I will be bringing a board (vinyl mat) and clock so Mr. MacDonald-Cooper can demonstrate his Morphy-esque playing style ;) .
The outcome of any chess game in which I attempt to emulate Paul Morphy is even easier to predict than the outcome of the Countdown finals. What the heck, though!
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Michael Macdonald-Cooper wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:Excellent stuff, Dinos. Looking forward to seeing you all there and I will be bringing a board (vinyl mat) and clock so Mr. MacDonald-Cooper can demonstrate his Morphy-esque playing style ;) .
The outcome of any chess game in which I attempt to emulate Paul Morphy is even easier to predict than the outcome of the Countdown finals. What the heck, though!
I know what you mean, I was playing in a correspondence tournament when I was reminded of Tartakower's quote since it seemed to describe every position I was getting:

"A chess game is divided into three stages: the first, when you hope you have the advantage, the second when you believe you have an advantage, and the third... when you know you're going to lose!"
Benji Hanks
Rookie

Post by Benji Hanks »

I won't be getting there til about an hour before I (might have to be) being filmed... I've been given the extension due to my 9am exam on the wednesday in Nottingham ;)
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Benji Hanks wrote:I won't be getting there til about an hour before I (might have to be) being filmed... I've been given the extension due to my 9am exam on the wednesday in Nottingham ;)
:shock: Good Luck, Benji. Wednesday is going to be a stressful day for you all in all but you strike me as a young lad who soaks up that kind of pressure.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I wonder what colour your hair will be...

I'll take a wild guess at.... purple
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Benji Hanks wrote:I won't be getting there til about an hour before I (might have to be) being filmed... I've been given the extension due to my 9am exam on the wednesday in Nottingham ;)
Good luck Benji ;)
Benji Hanks
Rookie

Post by Benji Hanks »

David O'Donnell wrote:
:shock: Good Luck, Benji. Wednesday is going to be a stressful day for you all in all but you strike me as a young lad who soaks up that kind of pressure.
soak it up like a sponge in summer....

or something like that.

Damn Mathematical Finance....