Who is better: Carol Vorderman or Rachel Riley?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.

Carol Vorderman
18%
Rachel Riley
82%

Total votes: 62

Dmitry Goretsky
Acolyte

Post by Dmitry Goretsky »

I think Carol Vorderman is better.
I'm a probability guru, so please PM or e-mail me if you need some help about probabilities.

Truly yours,
Dmitry Goretsky <0668964628@mail.ru>
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Re: Who is better: Carol Vorderman or Rachel Riley?

Post by Martin Bishop »

Better at what?
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Rachel doesn't appear on my junk mail — that's got to count for something.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Carol Vorderman.
Oops sorry I read it wrong, I thought it said who is bitter. :)
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Funny. Votes currently 7-1 in Riley's favour. (I voted Riley). A lot of people I speak to claim Vorderman is better as they say Rachel misses quite a few and that they get them and they don't remember Carol missing any and if she did they were hard. This riles me somewhat (excuse the pun) as Rachel doesn't miss that many and those she does miss are quite tricky. In fact looking through the series 48 recaps, Carol actually missed quite a few that I managed to get. Do people somehow forget about these or are they brainwashed into thinking (thanks to the papers) that Rachel misses loads.

I had someone yesterday say Carol is better and I told them about the study someone did on here that was based on several shows and the percentage difficulty of solving each one and how you guys worked out that Rachel was slightly better. He said he was happy as he couldn't argue with statistics but it just seemed rich that he was adamant 5 minutes previously that Carol had no flaws when it came to the numbers game.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Funny. Votes currently 7-1 in Riley's favour. (I voted Riley). A lot of people I speak to claim Vorderman is better as they say Rachel misses quite a few and that they get them and they don't remember Carol missing any and if she did they were hard. This riles me somewhat (excuse the pun) as Rachel doesn't miss that many and those she does miss are quite tricky. In fact looking through the series 48 recaps, Carol actually missed quite a few that I managed to get. Do people somehow forget about these or are they brainwashed into thinking (thanks to the papers) that Rachel misses loads.

I had someone yesterday say Carol is better and I told them about the study someone did on here that was based on several shows and the percentage difficulty of solving each one and how you guys worked out that Rachel was slightly better. He said he was happy as he couldn't argue with statistics but it just seemed rich that he was adamant 5 minutes previously that Carol had no flaws when it came to the numbers game.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Still not sure what the question is about.

If it is "who is better at the numbers?" then I pick Rachel. By the end of Carol's run (admittedly not the fairest time to judge her) I could beat carol at the numbers roughly once a week. It definitely doesn't happen as often against Rachel and when I do beat her in the time, she almost always gets it in the ad break.

If we're talking about "who is the better television personality?" then that is a harder question. Rachel is certainly very good now, but she also has a brilliant host to play off. Whether she would be as effective alongside Des O'Connor is debatable. Again, it may be a tad unfair to judge Carol at the end of her tenure, but by then she had started to grate, especially with things like her fake bad singing and love of Red Arrows. I'll give this to Rachel too.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Carol is better at screeching right-wing diatribes and spurious nutrionalist pseudoscience, so I voted for her.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Charlie Reams wrote:spurious nutrionalist pseudoscience
Citation needed

Let me help...
Lowering the averages since 2009
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Similar to what some others have said.

I used to beat Carol more frequently than I beat Rachel. Maybe I'm getting worse, but I don't think so.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

It's fun to Search for "Vorderman", and look through the oldest ones excluding recaps. Quite a few criticisms by people we don't hear from nowadays, and withering put-downs from . . . well, I'm sure you can guess.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

David Williams wrote:It's fun to Search for "Vorderman", and look through the oldest ones excluding recaps. Quite a few criticisms by people we don't hear from nowadays, and withering put-downs from . . . well, I'm sure you can guess.
Could you back up your sanctimony with some examples?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Williams wrote:It's fun to Search for "Vorderman", and look through the oldest ones excluding recaps. Quite a few criticisms by people we don't hear from nowadays, and withering put-downs from . . . well, I'm sure you can guess.
You mean... opinions can change? :o
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

Questions -
who is Carol Vorderman?
more correctly, who was Carol Vorderman?
if the role was just to do with numbers would we not have someone totally diferent?
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

sorry blobbed
Last edited by John Bosley on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Charlie Reams wrote:You mean... opinions can change? :o
If you're no longer into "screeching right-wing diatribes and spurious nutrionalist pseudoscience", that is to be applauded.

I just don't understand why preferring Rachel means it's necessary to denigrate Carol. Her Countdown performances haven't changed, whatever she's done since. Isn't it more complimentary to Rachel to say that Carol was very good, but Rachel is better - rather than Carol was the spawn of the devil, so anyone would be better?
Dmitry Goretsky
Acolyte

Charlie Reams wrote:
You mean... opinions can change? :o
You ARE allowed to change your vote
I'm a probability guru, so please PM or e-mail me if you need some help about probabilities.

Truly yours,
Dmitry Goretsky
Acolyte

WHY RILEY??!!

Truly yours,
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Dmitry Goretsky wrote:WHY RILEY??!!
http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2009
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Dmitry - how do you know so much about Countdown when you're from the Ukraine? Do they televise it there, or do you download them from the Internet? (And if so, how did you come to learn of Countdown?)
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Re: Who is better: Carol Vorderman or Rachel Riley

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Lesley Hines wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:spurious nutrionalist pseudoscience
Citation needed

Let me help...
Thanks for that, Leslie. I particularly liked
Bad Science wrote:most corrosive is the way they misrepresent, from their position of dominance in the mainstream media, what scientific evidence for a clinical assertion would actually look like.
which is an aspect I had not previously considered.
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:evidence of excellent taste... :lol:
I recommend his whole book, "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre. It's informative, eye-opening, packed with thoughtful insights and in places lough-out-loud funny.

My kinda reading ;)
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Lesley Hines wrote:I recommend his whole book, "Bad Science" by Ben Goldacre. It's informative, eye-opening, packed with thoughtful insights and in places lough-out-loud funny.

My kinda reading ;)
Mine too. I had heard of it, but never got round to buying it. Which I have now remedied.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

It's on my shelf. It's pretty good.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

It's on my shelf too. Not sure how good it is, as it's been there since Christmas 2008 when it was given to me as a pressie. Now that I've been reminded about it, maybe I'll get it down and open it.
Dmitry Goretsky
Acolyte

Michael Wallace wrote:Dmitry - how do you know so much about Countdown when you're from the Ukraine? Do they televise it there, or do you download them from the Internet? (And if so, how did you come to learn of Countdown?)
I learned about it from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Truly yours,
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Dmitry Goretsky wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:Dmitry - how do you know so much about Countdown when you're from the Ukraine? Do they televise it there, or do you download them from the Internet? (And if so, how did you come to learn of Countdown?)
I learned about it from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I don't suppose you fancy watching it regularly, and then forming your opinions from that, do you? Honestly, it'll give you a much better idea of what it's like. You've only got 28 years' worth to catch up on.
Robert Baxter
Acolyte

Post by Robert Baxter »

Carol - she's in Mensa with me :)
Contestant: Continent please, Rachel.
Rachel: Y.
Contestant: Because I want one!

For more info, see http://wiki.apterous.org/User:The_Doctor , and don't have a go at me a the F1 drivers series.

The 86th postingest forummer.

And I'm a :ugeek:.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Hmmm, interesting. There are arguments for both:

Carol - she's in Mensa with me :)
Rachel - she's so much more friendly

But I think my winner is:

Rachel - because RB2 voted for Carol
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Is Carol still in Mensa? I know she used to be, in fact she was on the UK committee at around the time I joined. But I thought she'd fallen out with them and had left.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I had a dream last night that I bumped into Carol at some kind of theme park, and I said "hello" to her but she basically told me to bugger off.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:I had a dream last night that I bumped into Carol at some kind of theme park, and I said "hello" to her but she basically told me to bugger off.
In a coincidence that Alec Rivers himself would be proud of, I dreamt last night that Kirk had got a bit confused during my special episode and for some reason now believed that Rachel is my mum, and obviously I laughed in his face because she's the same age as me. But then in a Shyamalan-esque twist, it turned out she actually is my mum, and she'd given birth to me aged 1 month. It was quite an emotional rollercoaster of a dream.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Robert Baxter wrote:Carol - she's in Mensa with me :)
This tells you everything you need to know about Mensa.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:I had a dream last night that I bumped into Carol at some kind of theme park, and I said "hello" to her but she basically told me to bugger off.
In a coincidence that Alec Rivers himself would be proud of, I dreamt last night that Kirk had got a bit confused during my special episode and for some reason now believed that Rachel is my mum, and obviously I laughed in his face because she's the same age as me. But then in a Shyamalan-esque twist, it turned out she actually is my mum, and she'd given birth to me aged 1 month. It was quite an emotional rollercoaster of a dream.
In a double-coincidence, in my dream a month-old Rachel was giving birth to a ginger twat on a rollercoaster called Emotion at the exact moment that Carol told me to bugger off, AND Alec Rivers appeared to be a schoolteacher of a naughty class or something, as he seemed to be hastily leading a group of children to the exit.

My dream was actually quite funny though, because I did approach Carol mindful of the slagging I've given her but wondering whether she would have seen it (or cared, or even remembered who I was). It was quite realistically done. Well done me.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Jon Corby wrote:Well done me.
I love feeling impressed by my own dreams.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:Alec Rivers appeared to be a schoolteacher of a naughty class or something, as he seemed to be hastily leading a group of children to the exit.
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

I know this is a very old topic, but I voted for Rachel as well.

I know Carol is a Countdown legend but Rachel overall seems more genuine and friendly and stronger at the Maths. Rachel has a better understanding of the more difficult methods, including ones where you go over 1000 and divide down again sometimes, Carol didn't seem to get those at all really.

I'm not sure if Carol was always weaker than Rachel at the Maths, but in her later days when she presents harder methods, she'd be like "bare with me" or "I think that's right" etc sometimes. I did learn from Carol how you find out if a number is divisible by 9, but I'm sure there are some methods that Carol wouldn't have got that Rachel did, at least in Carol's later days anyway.

Rachel did have a bit of a dodgy start, but I'm glad she found her feet. People said when Carol was on she was irreplaceable, now Rachel seems irreplaceable.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ah man, Dmitry Goretsky.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Can someone explain the magic in "the product of two primes", Rachel mentions it often and I feel I should know it but I'm afraid it has escaped me. Thanks.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Can someone explain the magic in "the product of two primes", Rachel mentions it often and I feel I should know it but I'm afraid it has escaped me. Thanks.
I think it's just that there is a way of getting the target by multiplying 2 smaller numbers, but only one so it's hard to spot.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Thomas Cappleman wrote:
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Can someone explain the magic in "the product of two primes", Rachel mentions it often and I feel I should know it but I'm afraid it has escaped me. Thanks.
I think it's just that there is a way of getting the target by multiplying 2 smaller numbers, but only one so it's hard to spot.
Ah, thanks Thom. Not so magical after all!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Peter Mabey
Kiloposter

Post by Peter Mabey »

I don't remember Carol beating DC, whereas Rachel has done so several times :roll: :)
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

Peter Mabey wrote:I don't remember Carol beating DC, whereas Rachel has done so several times :roll: :)
Oh yeah!! Rachel is clearly very good at the letters and conundrums too. I have often seen her get a conundrum whilst no one else in the studio got it too.

I hope Rachel stays for years to come.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

I love them both.
If pushed to choose, my vote goes to Rachel.

I'm still waiting for the Carol vs. Rachel Christmas special. ;)
...or failing that, at the very least, the Rachel vs. Susie edition.
[Spoiler alert:- Rachel wins both.]
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Euan Slatter
Acolyte

Post by Euan Slatter »

I went Carol. Was disappointed to see how far behind she was!.....

Admittedly, it was 90% because she used to live a few mins from me......
COUNTDOWN or THE TUBE? Which is better? There's only one way to find out....

Call it a draw :)

Robins Till I Die
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

Having met both of them. Rachel 100%
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I found Carol quite annoying, so I prefer Rachel, even though I also find her a bit annoying.

Rachel's obviously very intelligent having done maths at Oxford and she's very good at the numbers, but listening to all her conversations with Nick (and previous host(s)), she comes across as really dull. It seems that she's only interested in things like Manchester United, clothes, jewellery and shopping. So although she's intelligent, she comes across as the sort of person who went to university to do maths because she was good at it and going to university was the thing to do, rather than because she has any sort of interest in anything above the mundane. I don't think she'd be someone you'd pick out if you wanted a conversation about anything philosophical/political/intellectual etc.

I'll probably get slated for this, but it's how I think she presents herself, and if my assessment is wrong, I she's invited it.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Hi Gev
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Hi.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I found Carol quite annoying, so I prefer Rachel, even though I also find her a bit annoying.

Rachel's obviously very intelligent having done maths at Oxford and she's very good at the numbers, but listening to all her conversations with Nick (and previous host(s)), she comes across as really dull. It seems that she's only interested in things like Manchester United, clothes, jewellery and shopping. So although she's intelligent, she comes across as the sort of person who went to university to do maths because she was good at it and going to university was the thing to do, rather than because she has any sort of interest in anything above the mundane. I don't think she'd be someone you'd pick out if you wanted a conversation about anything philosophical/political/intellectual etc.

I'll probably get slated for this, but it's how I think she presents herself, and if my assessment is wrong, I she's invited it.
Whereas you just come across as the life of the party
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

eating contest 2 burn
Heather Styles
Rookie

Post by Heather Styles »

I don't think that we should assume that Rachel is incapable of interesting or intelligent conversation just because a lot of what she says on Countdown seems boring. She has to talk about the kind of things that viewers will want to hear.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Heather just called you boring Gev
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Speaking to Rachel is much more fun than speaking to Gev, let's be honest.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Mark Deeks wrote:Speaking to Rachel is much more fun than speaking to Gev, let's be honest.
You do need to build up a rapport for when she's your co-host, I suppose, so it's just as well you think that.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I know this is pretty much a dead topic, but I think it's worth pointing out that when Countdown had four million viewers, most of them probably tuned in to see Richard and Carol, with only a passing interest in the game show going on in the background. Not the case now, I suspect.

One thing I would give Rachel a lot of credit for. Carol used to browbeat people into going for one large and five small, and keeping it nice and simple. Very few went for anything else. Rachel actually prefers it to be more difficult, and I'm sure that's had an effect on contestants, so there's a lot more variety these days.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

David Williams wrote:I know this is pretty much a dead topic, but I think it's worth pointing out that when Countdown had four million viewers, most of them probably tuned in to see Richard and Carol, with only a passing interest in the game show going on in the background.
Woah, go easy on the member berries! ;)
I doubt there was ever a time when the draw of countdown was the presenters rather than the game.
And the viewing figures come from a time when there were significantly fewer options on TV, and when CD had a more favourable slot in the day's schedule.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Mark Deeks wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I found Carol quite annoying, so I prefer Rachel, even though I also find her a bit annoying.

Whereas you just come across as the life of the party

hahahaha... that's the perfect response to that rant, in fairness! :)

Gevin, I'm a little disappointed in your judgement of Rachel.
Have you watched the show?!

She has that cheeky grin and a glint in the eye that suggest a wicked sense of humour.
Aside from that, you can often tell that she has strong opinions on social issues, but is contractually obliged not to go down that route. I recall her at one point *almost* going into territory about a woman's "right to choose", but brought it back to levity... as that segment of the show is supposed to be light and breezy.

When you apply for series 77 of the show next April, and finally get to meet her, hopefully u'll find good reason to reassess your original take on Rachel Riley. (btw, it took me around 2 series before I stopped referring to her as "new Carol" lol)
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

I wouldn't recommend discussing politics with Carol, though...
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Martin Bishop wrote:I wouldn't recommend discussing politics with Carol, though...
Why on earth not?