The IT Crowd - Channel4- Friday 10pm

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Chris Corby
Devotee

The IT Crowd - Channel4- Friday 10pm

Post by Chris Corby »

Saw a trailer for the new series which has won awards in the past. Never watched it but keep meaning to, now I will as the trailer indicates that one of the characters (Moss) goes on Countdown. Now whether that is this Friday at 10pm or not I don't know for the real Countdown plot airs in Episode 2 the following Friday entitled The Final Countdown - not too original there! But the synopsis in Radio Times sounds promising.... "Moss goes from loser to schmoozer when a string of victories on TV's Countdown gains him admittance to a secret, exclusive club where men in jam-jar specs... are fawned over by scantily clad women...... the sight of Moss playing the urban "Street Countdown" around burning braziers, a baying mob and wire fencing is a winningly loopy one." Cast lists does not include Jeff or Rachel as guest stars so don't know if they make an appearance or not but during the scene around a burning brazier, it would not surprise me to see Charlie or Kirky pop into view.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: The IT Crowd - Channel4- Friday 10pm

Post by Michael Wallace »

Haha, that sounds brilliant - have they had a mole in here or something? The similarities are uncanny.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

I watched this Friday's one on 4od I think.. there's no Countdown, but it is funny.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

I watched that when it first started, but once I started watching The Big Bang Theory I enjoyed that a lot more. Will give it another go for this episode though.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

IT Crowd + Countdown = :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

The IT Crowd didn't seem to do that well because it was on the heels of Father Ted and Black Books so nothing was really going to look that good in comparison. It's still very funny though I did read a critic ripping into it for pandering to generalisations. The female critic thought the episode about Jen's 'time of the month' was cliché-ridden but then ... she was probably on the rag at the time.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

The style of humour is quite similar to Father Ted, with lots of dreams and flashback sequences and exaggerated-reality situations. When you comapre the reactions to the two shows, I can't help thinking people liked Father ted more for its digs at religion than its actual comic style.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Martin Smith wrote:The style of humour is quite similar to Father Ted, with lots of dreams and flashback sequences and exaggerated-reality situations. When you comapre the reactions to the two shows, I can't help thinking people liked Father ted more for its digs at religion than its actual comic style.
I think it was a mixture of things: having a dig at religion; very funny people actually delivering your material; a tendency for the surreal, also; the "sit" in that sitcom was particularly effing hilarious.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

It looks like the Countdown episode of The IT Crowd is definitely this Friday.

http://uk-tv-guide.com/programme-detail ... wd/Sitcom/

The advert for it seemed well funny. If you haven't seen it:

The advert starts with the clock just finishing counting down during a letters round. The selection is T N E T E N N B A. The other contestant declares TENNANT, whereas Moss (Richard Ayoade's character) declares the word that is already written out, TNETENNBA. :lol: Then Jeff asks him how he'd used that in everyday life. I can't remember what the reply was exactly, but it seemed hilarious.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Does the other contestant score 0 points for his mis-spelling?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Reminder that this episode is tonight. Someone from here had better get namechecked if they're on about the secret away-from-the-TV Countdown scene...
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Started to watch the first episode and gave up after ten minutes. If the audience laughter wasn't canned then they were on something...

However, the Countdown episode is a classic so glad I highlighted it last week.

Jeff, Rachel and Gyles B were all in at as themselves. Tried to spot the octochamps amongst you at the club but you were all heavily disguised to look like normal people ;)
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Damn!

I missed it, watching now on 4oD.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Chris Corby wrote:Started to watch the first episode and gave up after ten minutes. If the audience laughter wasn't canned then they were on something...

However, the Countdown episode is a classic so glad I highlighted it last week.

Jeff, Rachel and Gyles B were all in at as themselves. Tried to spot the octochamps amongst you at the club but you were all heavily disguised to look like normal people ;)
It was great. 8+ sounds a bit like apterous too. And the dude in the black was called Prime. I think they did their research well.
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

I laughed hardest at Moss making no attempt to conceal that he had a niner - they scripted that part of the scene to a tee, right down to the 'arrogant sip of water'!
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Street Countdown is the new variant.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Jeff. Rachel. Even Gyles. But where was Susie?!! And why has this show suddenly become so crap?!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

That was awesome. Absolutely excellent - loved every second of it, especially Moss' excitable voice.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Loved it too. Moss' water-sipping moment and the whole Fight Club concept was fucking hilarious.
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Steve Durney wrote:Jeff. Rachel. Even Gyles. But where was Susie?!! And why has this show suddenly become so crap?!
I think Countdown is still good.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Steve Durney wrote:Jeff. Rachel. Even Gyles. But where was Susie?!! And why has this show suddenly become so crap?!
Fuck off!

The show is letters, numbers, conundrum.

It's perfect; no-one could make it shit: not even Des O'Connor but God bless him he tried as best he could.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Fuck off!

It's perfect; no-one could make it shit: not even Des O'Connor but God bless him he tried as best he could.
Er, this is a thread about The IT Crowd. So I was making the point about why has THE IT CROWD has suddenly become so crap. The IT Crowd.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Steve Durney wrote:
David O'Donnell wrote:
Fuck off!

Er, this is a thread about The IT Crowd. So I was making the point about why has THE IT CROWD has suddenly become so crap. The IT Crowd.
Okay ah, it was a complete misunderstanding.

My new answer is: fuck off!

The show has got better if anything.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

I'm surprised everybody seems to have enjoyed it so much on here. When I wasn't shaking my head (or even getting cross) at the numerous mistakes, I was basically just being offended.

Countdown has unfairly picked up this "nerdy" tag over the years, and I'm surprised that Channel 4 allowed one of its own shows to perpetuate this myth in this ridiculous fashion. Damian has spoken on here before about wanting to steer the show away from robotic nerdy males spouting ridiculous words from the far corners of the dictionary, so to present the show in this light was just staggering. I was also concerned that in the one proper segment of the game we saw, Moss gave an utter nonsense nine-letter word (how difficult would it have been to find an obscure nine to use instead?) Although we weren't explicitly shown the outcome, the implication from this was that the challenger was being destroyed and humiliated. But in fact he had scored the max on that round! What kind of confused message is that to send out to potential contestants? Somebody watching at home may have come up with 'tenant', and been made to feel small for it.

Other blatant mistakes included the ongoing misapprehension that teapots seemed to be awarded only to octochamps, that there was a yearly winner, and then we had Rachel saying how Moss hadn't declared less than 8 - we all know how ridiculously unlikely it is for that to happen (given that we were supposed to think his submissions were all valid).

The idea that there was then this "elite clique" of Countdowners (every one of them a nerdy milk or Ribena drinker in a tank-top) who got together outside of the show to play bizarre variants and partake in petty bickering and displays of one-upmanship is just laughable. As if. Ridiculous, and again offensive.

I'll stop there as I could go on and on but suffice to say I've written a letter of complaint to Channel 4 and strongly urge others to do the same, to try and repair some of the damage caused by this appalling misjudgement.

And where are my fucking groupies? Where's my Ivana? Image
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

[/quote]The show has got better if anything.[/quote]

Well, we all have our different opinions! The earlier episodes were much better imo, especially with Chris Morris. The lie detector episode was one of the funniest I've ever seen, of any show. This series of The IT Crowd (not Countdown!!) hasn't been anything great. Moss was good last night, but Roy was just about a successful old friend thinking Roy was a window cleaner, and the Jen and Douglas storyline was just about making you think something dodgy was going on when really it was just aerobics (why the dressing gowns?!). Doesn't compare to the first 3 series for me, but each to their own!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Steve Durney wrote: (why the dressing gowns?!)
Cos if they just had aerobics gear on then we wouldn't have thought they were having an orgy! Also, I thought the window cleaner stuff, especially when he was on the lift, was the funniest thing about the show! We'd called the closing gag half way through the show though.
Jon Corby wrote: The idea that there was then this "elite clique" of Countdowners who got together outside of the show to play bizarre variants and partake in petty bickering and displays of one-upmanship is just laughable. As if. Ridiculous, and again offensive.
:P

Nice ad for the show though right? I would assume that they were only delighted to have the show lampooned just as they were to have the big brother thingy happen. Nothing wrong with a 30 minute ad going out at 10pm on a Friday night I suppose.
Steve Durney
Acolyte

Post by Steve Durney »

Andy Wilson wrote:I thought the window cleaner stuff, especially when he was on the lift, was the funniest thing about the show!
Window cleaner decides to wheel bike, complete with huge ladder, into strangers house and leave it there.
Roy lets him. For some reason.
Roy bumps into old friend who is successful. Friend talks about himself but doesn't ask Roy what he does.
Roy decides to dump bike (arf).
Friend sees Roy on window cleaners bike.
Friend sees Roy in Window cleaners lift on side of building.
Roy shouts out that he's not a window cleaner, with window cleaner standing right next to him.
Window cleaner looks pissed off.
Roy looks awkward.

Top notch comedy, that!
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Steve Durney wrote:
Andy Wilson wrote:I thought the window cleaner stuff, especially when he was on the lift, was the funniest thing about the show!
Window cleaner decides to wheel bike, complete with huge ladder, into strangers house and leave it there.
Roy lets him. For some reason.
Roy bumps into old friend who is successful. Friend talks about himself but doesn't ask Roy what he does.
Roy decides to dump bike (arf).
Friend sees Roy on window cleaners bike.
Friend sees Roy in Window cleaners lift on side of building.
Roy shouts out that he's not a window cleaner, with window cleaner standing right next to him.
Window cleaner looks pissed off.
Roy looks awkward.

Top notch comedy, that!
:roll:
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Steve Durney wrote: Friend sees Roy in Window cleaners lift on side of building.
I thought it was Roy who noticed Alistair on the street and started shouting at him (as he couldn't find him on friend face or jitter) forgetting he was on the lift! Anyway, that was the moment where i laughed the most!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-dWr1Dy_Ik
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Jon Corby wrote:The idea that there was then this "elite clique" of Countdowners (every one of them a nerdy milk or Ribena drinker in a tank-top) who got together outside of the show to play bizarre variants and partake in petty bickering and displays of one-upmanship is just laughable. As if. Ridiculous, and again offensive.
Quite right. I don't think I've ever seen an apterite in a tank top.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Hugh Binnie wrote:Quite right. I don't think I've ever seen an apterite in a tank top.
What we need is a thread of people playing apterous in tank tops.

(In fact, then we could make a calendar out of them.)
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Hugh Binnie wrote:Quite right. I don't think I've ever seen an apterite in a tank top.
What we need is a thread of people playing apterous in tank tops.

(In fact, then we could make a calendar out of them.)
Uploading now...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jon Corby wrote:I'm surprised everybody seems to have enjoyed it so much on here. When I wasn't shaking my head (or even getting cross) at the numerous mistakes, I was basically just being offended.

Countdown has unfairly picked up this "nerdy" tag over the years, and I'm surprised that Channel 4 allowed one of its own shows to perpetuate this myth in this ridiculous fashion. Damian has spoken on here before about wanting to steer the show away from robotic nerdy males spouting ridiculous words from the far corners of the dictionary, so to present the show in this light was just staggering. I was also concerned that in the one proper segment of the game we saw, Moss gave an utter nonsense nine-letter word (how difficult would it have been to find an obscure nine to use instead?) Although we weren't explicitly shown the outcome, the implication from this was that the challenger was being destroyed and humiliated. But in fact he had scored the max on that round! What kind of confused message is that to send out to potential contestants? Somebody watching at home may have come up with 'tenant', and been made to feel small for it.

Other blatant mistakes included the ongoing misapprehension that teapots seemed to be awarded only to octochamps, that there was a yearly winner, and then we had Rachel saying how Moss hadn't declared less than 8 - we all know how ridiculously unlikely it is for that to happen (given that we were supposed to think his submissions were all valid).

The idea that there was then this "elite clique" of Countdowners (every one of them a nerdy milk or Ribena drinker in a tank-top) who got together outside of the show to play bizarre variants and partake in petty bickering and displays of one-upmanship is just laughable. As if. Ridiculous, and again offensive.

I'll stop there as I could go on and on but suffice to say I've written a letter of complaint to Channel 4 and strongly urge others to do the same, to try and repair some of the damage caused by this appalling misjudgement.

And where are my fucking groupies? Where's my Ivana? Image
Top post (I think).
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

I bow to Jon's greater understanding of what Countdown's executive producer wants from the show, and if indeed the steer is supposed to be away from nerdiness, then this is another in a long sequence of poor showcases.

We always look forward to awareness being generated - best recent examples are children or footballers going on and winning, leading to reports on local news segments - but we seem to have difficulty shaking off this image of being hardcore, nerdy and uninviting.

Bus enthusiasts have also had the same treatment. Particularly memorable was a piece John Sargeant did for The One Show on whyever people would be interested in buses and coaches, focussing on two chaps in West Yorkshire. The flavour they relayed was along the lines of "like how Jeremy Clarkson looks at cars, but buses", which is fair enough. But then after interviewing the wife of one of the guys, the piece had the couple sit together in their dining room table whilst he played with his collectable-limited-edition-don't-take-them-out-the-box model buses across the table like a toddler. Totally. Effing. Owned.

Seems like Countdown sold out cheap here aswell. Yet the group of 30-odd people who turned up at a pub in north London one Saturday in May were pretty normal, and Leicester at the end of the month will be a good shindig aswell.

Jeff
Last edited by Jeff Clayton on Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:Top post (I think).
I assumed he was just stirring. Offensive? Hardly.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

David Williams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:Top post (I think).
I assumed he was just stirring. Offensive? Hardly.
I thought it was a piss take and found it funny from that perspective.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jeff Clayton wrote:Yet the group of 30-odd people who turned up at a pub in north London one Saturday in May were pretty normal
Which event were you at!? I think you've got a biased perspective; one of the only few 'normals' who saw what was going on was the girl at the bar, who called us "the board games group" whilst sniggering.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Which event were you at!? I think you've got a biased perspective; one of the only few 'normals' who saw what was going on was the girl at the bar, who called us "the board games group" whilst sniggering.
To be fair, when I booked the room I told them we were going to play board games, because that was a) technically true, and ii) seemed easier than trying to explain how we were going to play Countdown in a pub.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:Which event were you at!? I think you've got a biased perspective; one of the only few 'normals' who saw what was going on was the girl at the bar, who called us "the board games group" whilst sniggering.
To be fair, when I booked the room I told them we were going to play board games, because that was a) technically true, and ii) seemed easier than trying to explain how we were going to play Countdown in a pub.
Yeah, just having a laugh :) I just disagree with Jeff's assertion that Countdown people are normal. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and I think most of us embrace being proud members of "the board games group" anyway. But yeah, I still don't think Countdown people are normal, whatever normal is, and whether or not it's a good thing to be if it exists. Just sayin'
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Matt Morrison wrote:Yeah, just having a laugh :) I just disagree with Jeff's assertion that Countdown people are normal. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and I think most of us embrace being proud members of "the board games group" anyway. But yeah, I still don't think Countdown people are normal, whatever normal is, and whether or not it's a good thing to be if it exists. Just sayin'
Yeah, totally. (That previous post was just in case anyone was wondering why they thought we were the 'board games group'.)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Proposal to run CoWor in our local multi-storey (braziers provided FoC).
Lowering the averages since 2009
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

When discussing my mate Mick's introduction to apterous, Matt actually said, 'It's hard to get normals to play' or something like that. :)

Anyway, It was funny and it was brilliant to have a whole episode based around countdown! Graham Linehan for dictionary corner!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Also it seemed the troublemaker-in-chief of this "clique" (I can barely type this without shaking my head at the ludicrous idea!) was basically as nerdy as the rest, but seemed determined to put on this front of being a bit more "cool" and "street" than the others. Total un-thought-out nonsense.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Jon Corby wrote: I was also concerned that in the one proper segment of the game we saw, Moss gave an utter nonsense nine-letter word (how difficult would it have been to find an obscure nine to use instead?) Although we weren't explicitly shown the outcome, the implication from this was that the challenger was being destroyed and humiliated. But in fact he had scored the max on that round! What kind of confused message is that to send out to potential contestants? Somebody watching at home may have come up with 'tenant', and been made to feel small for it.

I don't think anyone was meant to believe that TNETENNBA was a real word, or that the scene was anything more than a surreal (and hilarious) fantasy sequence. I missed the bit about the yearly champion (maybe Moss had won a Bevins-Davies type special?), but am pretty certain that the leader of 8+ referred to himself as the 16th champion, rather than by a year. The only vexing error was the teapot thing, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal.

I loved the first two series of the IT Crowd, but the third didn't quite live up to those standards. This fourth one is looking very good thus far. The fantasy roleplay episode was fantastic and I loved the bawdy business men, "Phil and two men called John". I didn't enjoy the countdown one quite as much, partly because being so close to the subject matter, I'd thought of some of those jokes before. Before Co:Lon, I'd jokingly told friends that I was going to an "underground countdown tournament".

I think its a shame that the IT Crowd is consistently underestimated, because it is filmed in a studio, where you can hear laughter (I don't think it's canned). No one complains about Father Ted, Blackadder or Fawlty Towers having laughter on them.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Martin Bishop wrote:because it is filmed in a studio, where you can hear laughter
Meant to make this point earlier, which i'm pretty sure is the case.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Can't believe I got some bites.

Still got it 8-)
Chris Davies
Series 61 Champion

Post by Chris Davies »

Jon Corby wrote:Can't believe I got some bites.
I can...
Hugh Binnie
Enthusiast

Post by Hugh Binnie »

Martin Bishop wrote:No one complains about Father Ted, Blackadder or Fawlty Towers having laughter on them.
I do. :? Canned laughter has no place in a civilized society!
tomrowell
Acolyte

Post by tomrowell »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Jeff Clayton wrote:Yet the group of 30-odd people who turned up at a pub in north London one Saturday in May were pretty normal
Which event were you at!? I think you've got a biased perspective; one of the only few 'normals' who saw what was going on was the girl at the bar, who called us "the board games group" whilst sniggering.
She wasn't sniggering when Kirk put his cock in her mouth
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jeff Clayton wrote:Bus enthusiasts have also had the same treatment.

Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Risen to the bait. What a fucking star you are.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Jeff Clayton wrote:Risen to the bait. What a fucking star you are.
Sorry Jeff, I think you rose to the bait. Corby is obviously taking the piss from post 1.
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

Sorry DOD, gallows humour. Comes from working in the industry. Don't read too deeply into internet posts.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Jeff Clayton wrote:Sorry DOD, gallows humour. Comes from working in the industry. Don't read too deeply into internet posts.
You're in the Gallows' industry? With the government cuts at the moment, prepare yourself for a P45 any day now.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :cry:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Chris Corby wrote:With the government cuts at the moment
They're bringing back the guillotine?

Edit: Wait, that was the joke. I see now.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Bump.

I thought this was great.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...