Countdown tools

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Countdown tools

Post by Martin Gardner »

I'm just looking on the Countdown Corral. I have a couple of issues.

First of all the recap writer is absolutely brilliant, but as the for wiki an alternative one for 9 rounds and 14 rounds would be useful. I'd like to put all the games on Mike's site on the wiki but all of them are either 9 or 14 rounds. Although the recap writer does work for this, sort of, for 14 rounds it's difficult because there are 4 numbers games and 2 conundrums. For 9 round games you can just miss some fields out then edit the round numbers, for 14-round games this doesn't work at all.

Secondly I can't get Countmax to work. I'm sure it's my fault and I'm doing something wrong, but all the same it's not working for me.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Countdown tools

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote:First of all the recap writer is absolutely brilliant, but as the for wiki an alternative one for 9 rounds and 14 rounds would be useful. I'd like to put all the games on Mike's site on the wiki but all of them are either 9 or 14 rounds. Although the recap writer does work for this, sort of, for 14 rounds it's difficult because there are 4 numbers games and 2 conundrums. For 9 round games you can just miss some fields out then edit the round numbers, for 14-round games this doesn't work at all.
Cheers for the compliment :) There actually is a "secret" 9 round mode, which for some reason is not linked to from anywhere - I'll resolve that. I'll add a 14 round mode some time too.
Martin Gardner wrote:Secondly I can't get Countmax to work. I'm sure it's my fault and I'm doing something wrong, but all the same it's not working for me.
You'll need to provide more details. Which bit doesn't work?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Charlie Reams wrote:
You'll need to provide more details. Which bit doesn't work?
I can see how that would be helpful, yes!

On downloading and unzipping and then double clicking on the icon, I get :

"This application has failed to start because MFC71.DLL Re-installing the application may fix this problem."

Which by the way it doesn't.

Oh wait I've just downloaded the dictionary so i don't actually need Countmax anymore, I can run it through Aide aux jeux de lettres. By the way, what exactly is the dictionary used by Countdownmax?

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Martin Gardner wrote: On downloading and unzipping and then double clicking on the icon, I get :

"This application has failed to start because MFC71.DLL Re-installing the application may fix this problem."
I can't believe the error message was quite that ungrammatical...