Facebook Countdown

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Mikey Lear
Rookie

Facebook Countdown

Post by Mikey Lear »

Does everyone who cares know that there is a Facebook Countdown application? Well there is. It isn't precisely like the TV show, so most of you won't like it, but if you're keen to challenge someone who's not enough of a nerd to play an online game in the traditional manner (like me) but enough of a nerd to spend loads of time on Facebook, you can.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Facebook Countdown

Post by Michael Wallace »

I was not aware - how is it different?

I never understood how people wasted so much time on facebook, maybe I'll learn how if this is any good...
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Mikey Lear wrote:Does everyone who cares know that there is a Facebook Countdown application? Well there is. It isn't precisely like the TV show, so most of you won't like it, but if you're keen to challenge someone who's not enough of a nerd to play an online game in the traditional manner (like me) but enough of a nerd to spend loads of time on Facebook, you can.
It's nice that someone has finally done a Countdown application for Facebook, but after playing a few games, I don't think it's that good.

The conundrum and numbers are okay, but the application doesn't use the ODE 2nd revised dictionary so words like KABOOM and UNTONED for example, were not accepted.

I still think the best way to practice is with a set of Countdown cards (well at least for the word rounds).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I still think the best way to practice is with a set of Countdown cards (well at least for the word rounds).
Except you never find out words you missed, and the distribution is absolute shit compared to what you actually get on the program. The best practice aid is CountGen for words and the Corral Challenge for conundrums. Maybe I'm just pimping my own programs but there are no alternatives that even use the right dictionary (except Corby's game which is also good I've heard.)
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Also the scoring on the facebook application is poor. You get points for whatever word you get (i.e. if I get a 7 and my opponent gets an 8, I get 7 points, he/she gets 8). Conundrum is timed but no matter who gets it first, both players get the 10 points if they get it. Oh, and you can go on their facebook page and scroll down to the Countdown application thing and it will tell you what the conundrum is. How poo.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I still think the best way to practice is with a set of Countdown cards (well at least for the word rounds).
Except you never find out words you missed, and the distribution is absolute shit compared to what you actually get on the program. The best practice aid is CountGen for words and the Corral Challenge for conundrums. Maybe I'm just pimping my own programs but there are no alternatives that even use the right dictionary (except Corby's game which is also good I've heard.)
True, but if you think about it, when you play at COLIN, you are using a set of shuffled cards, so if I practice with cards, then I am pretty much going to get selections that are at least similar to what you get in COLIN games.

Now COBRIS' rounds are more like the gameshow as there's fewer repetitions so I could see the Countgen program coming in useful for practicing for COBRIS at least.

To be honest, I actually don't practice conundrums. On the day I either get it or I don't :D.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Bolas wrote: True, but if you think about it, when you play at COLIN, you are using a set of shuffled cards, so if I practice with cards, then I am pretty much going to get selections that are at least similar to what you get in COLIN games.
I guess if you're practising just for COLIN then it's different, but I imagine most people are practising for the programme itself, either to appear or just to be armchair heroes.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote: True, but if you think about it, when you play at COLIN, you are using a set of shuffled cards, so if I practice with cards, then I am pretty much going to get selections that are at least similar to what you get in COLIN games.
I guess if you're practising just for COLIN then it's different, but I imagine most people are practising for the programme itself, either to appear or just to be armchair heroes.
I know most people like to compete against the champion and challenger and work out what scores they would've got if they were playing either one in the studio etc, but I don't do that. If I'm lucky to beat (or even equalise) the champion or challenger in a word round, I just post my words in the spoiler threads, I don't keep track of scores.

I actually don't see the point of playing against the champion and challenger like that, unless of course they come to a CO-event and you actually get to play them in person. If I hadn't already had my debut game on Countdown though, then I would probably play that way.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I know most people like to compete against the champion and challenger and work out what scores they would've got if they were playing either one in the studio etc
Conor told me that he compares his score with DC and CV :o
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

David O'Donnell wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I know most people like to compete against the champion and challenger and work out what scores they would've got if they were playing either one in the studio etc
Conor told me that he compares his score with DC and CV :o
I wouldn't mind a game of Countdown against Carol Vorderman or Susie Dent :D.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I wouldn't mind a game of Countdown against Carol Vorderman or Susie Dent :D.
A game of Countdown, or a game of 'Countdown'? (nudge nudge wink wink etc.)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I wouldn't mind a game of Countdown against Carol Vorderman or Susie Dent :D.
Just a game of Countdown will do me :).
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Just a game of Countdown will do me :).
That's where you're going wrong, Joseph!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Anyway getting back to the topic in hand, has had anyone else had any problems with the application. Almost after evey round I have played so far today, it has brought up the error loading message.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Jesus, this is frighteningly addictive.

But add me if you want a game because my friends have stopped playing with me...
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Matthew Green wrote:Jesus, this is frighteningly addictive.
I know what you mean. I actually find it easier to do the math rounds on this as the sums are automatically worked out :D. I am also starting to keep track of what my scores are and work out percentages, for example:

So far I have played 25 games with a overall total of 2713 points (my scores range from 85 - 132), thus giving me an avarage score of 108.25 :).
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

How long did that take you to do Joseph?! :D
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

jasoncullen wrote:How long did that take you to do Joseph?! :D
It only took a few mintues. I recently updated my Microsoft Office to the 2007 version, so just tried it out :).
Benji Hanks
Rookie

Post by Benji Hanks »

I've just uploaded it... and been ever so slightly annoyed at it on a couple of occasions (didn't register clicks etc.)

Other than that, nice... and proves my point about being erratic...

Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Benji Hanks wrote:I've just uploaded it... and been ever so slightly annoyed at it on a couple of occasions (didn't register clicks etc.)

Other than that, nice... and proves my point about being erratic...

I think if you pick the letters/numbers too quick, it doesn't register all the clicks. Also funnily enough, if you take too long picking the letters, a message comes up and the round is resetted once you click off the message :roll: If you add us on Facebook, you can challenge us to those scores you've set :).

How many words did you have disallowed on the 57 game? The game use 2 ONLINE dictionaries, according to Andy, none of them the ODE.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

That pie chart is rubbish, Joseph. It's 3D and although you have two segments the same (24%), one looks larger than the other due to perspective. Stick to a 2D chart.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kirk Bevins wrote:That pie chart is rubbish, Joseph. It's 3D and although you have two segments the same (24%), one looks larger than the other due to perspective. Stick to a 2D chart.
I take it then you don't like 3D charts?

The 24%'s might look different because you can see the edge on the green 24% wedge, plus the angle too I suppose. I was just messing about with Excel 2007 so I may try a different setting, if I did another chart :).
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I take it then you don't like 3D charts?
The golden rule - have no more faff than necessary.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Also, the data for the chart has almost no statistical significance.

Oh well.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ginger Jono wrote:Also, the data for the chart has almost no statistical significance.

Oh well.
Fair point, because it doesn't relate to anything to do with the current series, or any series for that matter in Countdown.

This data though is going by Facebook Countdown games (which this topic is about) so I still thought it was a little subjective. Oh well, guess I was wrong :lol:.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Bolas wrote: This data though is going by Facebook Countdown games (which this topic is about) so I still thought it was a little subjective.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Nah it's statistically insignificant because it doesn't mean anything. An invalid could score 150 and Conor could score 75 in two consecutive games without either being spectacularly good or bad. It is especially insignificant given that a word disallowed will usually change what 'band' your score is in, so the game rewards stupidly defensive strategy. Maybe instead try counting how many times you score the maximum in a round each game.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ginger Jono wrote:Nah it's statistically insignificant because it doesn't mean anything. An invalid could score 150 and Conor could score 75 in two consecutive games without either being spectacularly good or bad. It is especially insignificant given that a word disallowed will usually change what 'band' your score is in, so the game rewards stupidly defensive strategy. Maybe instead try counting how many times you score the maximum in a round each game.
I did forget about the fact that the scores don't include words that have been disallowed :oops:, sorry.

I think I will just stick to jotting down the word game selections and finding out the maximums for each round :).
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote: This data though is going by Facebook Countdown games (which this topic is about) so I still thought it was a little subjective.
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
You quoted a whole post, not just a word. I'm guessing "games". Close?
Benji Hanks
Rookie

Post by Benji Hanks »

AIIYXDUZN

Is this the hardest selection of letters ever given in any game of countdown anywhere ever?

(zany is the 4 letter word i got... apparently there's only one other... anyone else spot it)
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Benji Hanks wrote:AIIYXDUZN

Is this the hardest selection of letters ever given in any game of countdown anywhere ever?

(zany is the 4 letter word i got... apparently there's only one other... anyone else spot it)
I know you can pick more than 5 vowels in a selection, so I decided to pick 8 vowels and I could only get the 3 letter word AIR and it was disallowed :lol:.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

I think thats because it only accepts 4+ letter words. I had one selection (cant remember the exact letters but the only acceptable word was AQUA. I think the other letters were JXVFI or something.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I know you can pick more than 5 vowels in a selection, so I decided to pick 8 vowels and I could only get the 3 letter word AIR and it was disallowed :lol:.
This interested me... I reckon the only way that AIR would truly be the maximum was if you had 5 further I's, and then finally a U or an I as the remaining vowel. I may try and check this later..

Fascinating eh?