Best ever contestants

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8335
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Gavin Chipper » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:30 am

Graeme Cole wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:14 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:15 pm
It can take years of studying CSW in order to win the WSC.
I studied the ODE for ages. Where's my Duke of Edinburgh award?
That's really good. I was considering making some stupid comment but I'm glad I didn't now.

User avatar
Marc Meakin
Postmaster General
Posts: 3171
Joined: Wed May 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Marc Meakin » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Graeme Cole wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:14 pm
Marc Meakin wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:15 pm
It can take years of studying CSW in order to win the WSC.
I studied the ODE for ages. Where's my Duke of Edinburgh award?
Presumably, it must take some skill to unlearn words from one dictionary before studying a new one
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT

Owen Carroll
Enthusiast
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 am

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Owen Carroll » Sat May 26, 2018 11:31 am

1: Dylan Taylor
2: Zarte Siempre
3: Conor Travers
4:Kirk Bevins
5: Chris Davies
6: Julian Fell
7: Craig Beevers
8: Jack Hurst
9: Giles hutchings
10: Jen Steadmen

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Elliott Mellor » Sat May 26, 2018 11:59 am

Owen Carroll wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:31 am
1: Dylan Taylor
2: Zarte Siempre
3: Conor Travers
4:Kirk Bevins
5: Chris Davies
6: Julian Fell
7: Craig Beevers
8: Jack Hurst
9: Giles hutchings
10: Jen Steadmen
I think the list of players is more or less similar to mine, but I wouldn't put them in that order. Be interesting to hear your logic for this order (if they indeed were in order here). :)

Owen Carroll
Enthusiast
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 am

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Owen Carroll » Sat May 26, 2018 12:47 pm

I wasn't going in order completely. That was an accident. And I didn't see your list

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Elliott Mellor » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 pm

Zarte surely has to be considered amongst the all the time greatest now...

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8335
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Elliott Mellor wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 pm
Zarte surely has to be considered amongst the all the time greatest now...
Yes, but with a CoC coming up fairly soon, it's not worth coming up with a new list until then.

Owen Carroll
Enthusiast
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 am

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Owen Carroll » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 pm

Zarte and Philip definitely make it in my opinion!

Tom S
Devotee
Posts: 509
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Tom S » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:25 pm

Owen Carroll wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 pm
Zarte and Philip definitely make it in my opinion!
With all due respect to Philip, and whilst he is a great player and one who is of a much better ability than myself, I would not personally count him as one of the best of all time.

Elliott Mellor
Devotee
Posts: 504
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Elliott Mellor » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:45 pm

Tom S wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:25 pm
Owen Carroll wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 pm
Zarte and Philip definitely make it in my opinion!
With all due respect to Philip, and whilst he is a great player and one who is of a much better ability than myself, I would not personally count him as one of the best of all time.
If he wins COC, then I'd possibly be willing to consider him up there - but largely yeah I agree with this sentiment. His 2 losses in his series are sort of going to hinder him in this field, even if they were to Zarte.

Tom S
Devotee
Posts: 509
Joined: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Tom S » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:33 pm

Elliott Mellor wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:45 pm
Tom S wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:25 pm
Owen Carroll wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 pm
Zarte and Philip definitely make it in my opinion!
With all due respect to Philip, and whilst he is a great player and one who is of a much better ability than myself, I would not personally count him as one of the best of all time.
If he wins COC, then I'd possibly be willing to consider him up there - but largely yeah I agree with this sentiment. His 2 losses in his series are sort of going to hinder him in this field, even if they were to Zarte.
Agreed- and he definitely deserves to be at CoC

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:39 pm

It's a real shame Scott Mearns was never invited back for the 30BC.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

Owen Carroll
Enthusiast
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 am

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Owen Carroll » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:47 pm

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:39 pm
It's a real shame Scott Mearns was never invited back for the 30BC.
Maybe he was and rejected his invitation. Julian fell did

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8335
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Gavin Chipper » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:57 am

Owen Carroll wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:47 pm
Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:39 pm
It's a real shame Scott Mearns was never invited back for the 30BC.
Maybe he was and rejected his invitation. Julian fell did
I don't think people were invited as such. I think they had to put their names forward. This ended up largely being people from the online Countdown community and the Scrabble community because they were the easiest groups to reach in the short amount of time available. I think it would have been nice if the production team had made an effort to try and contact a few people in particular even if they weren't doing the whole thing with invitations - people like Scott Mearns, Harvey Freeman and Allan Saldanha would be people they might have wanted to hunt down.

Owen Carroll
Enthusiast
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 1:10 am

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Owen Carroll » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:21 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:57 am
Owen Carroll wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:47 pm
Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:39 pm
It's a real shame Scott Mearns was never invited back for the 30BC.
Maybe he was and rejected his invitation. Julian fell did
I don't think people were invited as such. I think they had to put their names forward. This ended up largely being people from the online Countdown community and the Scrabble community because they were the easiest groups to reach in the short amount of time available. I think it would have been nice if the production team had made an effort to try and contact a few people in particular even if they weren't doing the whole thing with invitations - people like Scott Mearns, Harvey Freeman and Allan Saldanha would be people they might have wanted to hunt down.
Good theory

Countdown Team
Acolyte
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Countdown Team » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:22 pm

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:57 am
I don't think people were invited as such. I think they had to put their names forward. This ended up largely being people from the online Countdown community and the Scrabble community because they were the easiest groups to reach in the short amount of time available. I think it would have been nice if the production team had made an effort to try and contact a few people in particular even if they weren't doing the whole thing with invitations - people like Scott Mearns, Harvey Freeman and Allan Saldanha would be people they might have wanted to hunt down.
We invited people to put their names forward. We had no idea who was still keen on playing Countdown after all those years, and due to the data laws, we didn't have the details of many ex-contestants any longer.
Some cited the clash with OSW and the ODO as an obstacle, and others had simply moved on and found a different path in life. As for the 'effort' from the production team, you post as though you're aware of exactly what we did do and who we contacted, when in reality, you're clueless.

Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse
Posts: 8335
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:37 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Gavin Chipper » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:07 pm

Countdown Team wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:22 pm
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:57 am
I don't think people were invited as such. I think they had to put their names forward. This ended up largely being people from the online Countdown community and the Scrabble community because they were the easiest groups to reach in the short amount of time available. I think it would have been nice if the production team had made an effort to try and contact a few people in particular even if they weren't doing the whole thing with invitations - people like Scott Mearns, Harvey Freeman and Allan Saldanha would be people they might have wanted to hunt down.
We invited people to put their names forward. We had no idea who was still keen on playing Countdown after all those years, and due to the data laws, we didn't have the details of many ex-contestants any longer.
Some cited the clash with OSW and the ODO as an obstacle, and others had simply moved on and found a different path in life. As for the 'effort' from the production team, you post as though you're aware of exactly what we did do and who we contacted, when in reality, you're clueless.
Well, sorry if I've misrepresented what you did, but I seemed to remember you saying previously that you didn't contact people individually.

Countdown Team
Acolyte
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Countdown Team » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:12 am

Not having email addresses and mobile numbers for contestants who last appeared in the mid-90s doesn't constitute a lack of effort from the production team. Most of our data was obsolete, but we contacted whoever we were able to get hold of at the time. Believe it or not, people moved house in that 30-year timespan, phone numbers changed and email and mobile weren't invented. :roll:

User avatar
Rhys Benjamin
Kiloposter
Posts: 1926
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: Down in the tube station at midnight
Contact:

Re: Best ever contestants

Post by Rhys Benjamin » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:40 pm

To be honest, I can see both points of view here. Not that that helps.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest