Series 66

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Series 66

Post by Martin Gardner »

For people who aren't aware, Series 33 was the Countdown Supreme Championship. So by my count Series 66 ought to be the next one. If you count from Series 34 to 65 inclusive, that's 32 right?

I know Damian has said he's not going to do it, which is really a shame because its the only chance that most of us will ever appeared on the show, not withstanding DoD, Craig, Nick W and a few others. What do people think are the chances of it ever happening, and if it did happen, who would be the favourite?

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Re: Series 66

Post by Damian E »

Weighing up the pros and cons, i dont think a Supremes Two is a starter.

I took part in Supremes 1 and was barely able to understand the format. It dragged on for ages and was overly complicated.

On the plus side, you have a higher standard of game - but that's where the plus side ends for me.

On the negative side, hmm.......the list is pretty big really. Mono-syllabic contestants in abundance, the return of unpopular/unsavoury characters, logistical nightmare trying to put it together, Chris Wills, too long in length, regular contestants kept on hold, unlikely to attract a bigger audience, alienates many viewers who are unable to compete, Chris Wills, finding a decent prize, male domination, Chris Wills, participants out of touch with the game and performing poorly or not taking part at all, last 3 months so means subsequent series would have to be either 3 months or 9 months long, Chris Wills - oh and its 2013 by the time it would come around, so we could all be dead, Chris Wills.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I can fully see why SC2 wouldn't be functional over a 3 month period, but is there anything against a 3-week 'champion of champion of champions' tournament between 16 of the best from series 34 to 65? Just think of the posts Gevin alone could make regarding the invite list.

And no, I'm not sure whether I was being facetious or not with that last sentence. :-/
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:Just think of the posts Gevin alone could make regarding the invite list.
Exactly, although I would prefer the word "invitation".
And no, I'm not sure whether I was being facetious or not with that last sentence. :-/
Neither am I.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

That's a long way off!

Will Des O'Connor still be the host by then?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

If this was going to be more exclusive than the previous supremes (with just 16 contestants), then I don't think it would necessarily have to be after 66 series. It could be done after the next CofC, although that could cause further problems for those claiming that the viewers don't like long-running champion type tournaments (is this evidence-based though?) as we would have two back to back.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ben Wilson wrote:I can fully see why SC2 wouldn't be functional over a 3 month period, but is there anything against a 3-week 'champion of champion of champions' tournament between 16 of the best from series 34 to 65? Just think of the posts Gevin alone could make regarding the invite list.

While we're here I might as well give a few names that should definitely be included:

1. Scott Mearns (unbeaten as CofC even though he later lost a special)
2. Graham Nash (unbeaten CofC)
3. Chris Wills (high scoring champion, reached final of CofC)
4. Julian Fell (still the highest scoring of them all)
5. Mark Tournoff (unbeaten until losing CofC final against Paul Gallen, having beaten him in their series final)
6. Conor Travers (one of the highest scorers, reached CofC semi-final)
7. Paul Gallen (won probably the most competitive CofC ever)
8. Craig Beevers (won his series after becoming only the second 900+ octochamp)

Obviously there are many others that could be considered. Natascha Kearsey also won the CofC but it was one of the least competitive. She did, however, later beat Scott Mearns in what was probably her best game and it might be a good idea to include all CofCs.