Countdown mentions on other shows

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Countdown mentions on other shows

Post by James Robinson »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Rachel is on '8 Out of 10 Cats' right now. Channel 4.
She's on again tonight. 21:00 on C4. 8-)
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Interesting hearing Ann Widdecombe give Countdown the big thumbs up on Richard Bacon's 5 Live show now.

She'll probably be back in DC again thanks to that.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Question about Richard Whiteley on the Chase today. Paul Sinha said that he "loves Countdown." :-D
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Question about Richard Whiteley on the Chase today.
Shit, you mean Richard Whiteley got the presenting job? I knew he was in the running, but I was waiting until I watched the first episode on tape. Now you've spoilt it.

(Obviously if he didn't get the job, you wouldn't be talking about him on a Countdown forum in this way.)
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Jeremy Hardy mentioned Countdown in the news Quiz last week, and mused on his not being asked back to be a DC guest after his one week. Sounded quite sad to have been spurned. But he always sounds a bit sad.

I can't remember having seen him on CD, and if I did see him whether he was any good. Obviously not as good as Jon Gaunt.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

The fabulous Irish comedy Hardy Bucks mentioned Countdown in the latest episode. Well he called it Clockdown, but you knew what he was talking about.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

An out take has just appeared on "It'll be all right on the night" featuring Graeme Cole. It will be on ITV1+1 in about an hour (22:55 UK Time).
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:An out take has just appeared on "It'll be all right on the night" featuring Graeme Cole. It will be on ITV1+1 in about an hour (22:55 UK Time).
Sudden stealth ninja YouTube link!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Another Countdown clip on It'll Be Alright On The Night 2 tonight. Rachel seemingly not able to contain laughter at summat to do with COTTAGER in S63.

Had on mute, so don't know exactly what.
Jack Worsley
Series 66 Champion

Post by Jack Worsley »

James Robinson wrote:Another Countdown clip on It'll Be Alright On The Night 2 tonight. Rachel seemingly not able to contain laughter at summat to do with COTTAGER in S63.

I wasn't watching properly but one of the contestants declared COTTAGE so Rachel may have been laughing at the fact that he didn't put the R on.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jack Worsley wrote:
James Robinson wrote:Another Countdown clip on It'll Be Alright On The Night 2 tonight. Rachel seemingly not able to contain laughter at summat to do with COTTAGER in S63.

I wasn't watching properly but one of the contestants declared COTTAGE so Rachel may have been laughing at the fact that he didn't put the R on.
John Bosley
Enthusiast

Post by John Bosley »

She was surely amused - along with Susie - at the newer meaning of 'cottager' rather than someone who lives in a little house. :D
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Susie is on Radio 2 at the moment. Not sure if that's relevant to this thread, but hey.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Anyone see Room 101 last night :?:

The singer, Jamelia, said that Countdown will be finished in 10 years time :!:
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

James Robinson wrote:Anyone see Room 101 last night :?:

The singer, Jamelia, said that Countdown will be finished in 10 years time :!:
I saw this on "Room 101 Extra Storage" on Sunday. Jamelia was trying to get text speak into Room 101, and was just saying that kids won't be able to spell if we keep allowing them to text LOL, CUL8R type abbreviations, and that she won't let her kids text. So Countdown would be defunct if nobody can spell.

Rubbish really IMHO ;-), not just the jokey Countdown reference. Textspeak is much faster than typing in whole words. Intelligent kids will be able to learn both textspeak and normal spelling, and at least the dimmer kids can communicate more easily.

Jamelia also mentioned taking her kids to school - so she must've given up on the Home Ed she mentioned in "8 Out Of 10 Cats" a couple of years back. Trying to get early mornings into Room 101 - excellent idea! :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

My source tells me that someone on EastEnders "needs a friend to do the Countdown conundrum with them" or something like that. I think it was just throwaway dialogue, rather than a storyline involving Countdown.

David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I see that Nick Hewer is on Room 101 next week - and so is Carol Vorderman. It seems at least possible that Frank Skinner may take the opportunity to raise Countdown, even if it's not actually one of Carol's choices.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

David Williams wrote:I see that Nick Hewer is on Room 101 next week - and so is Carol Vorderman. It seems at least possible that Frank Skinner may take the opportunity to raise Countdown, even if it's not actually one of Carol's choices.
Anybody else watch this? I saw it last night (Room 101 Extra Storage). Rather good. Frank Skinner did indeed mention Countdown. :)
At one point, the third guest (Rhod Gilbert) wanted to put himself into Room 101, and Frank said no, otherwise the rest of the programme would be like an episode of Countdown, and Carol said "old and new", fairly good-naturedly. Perhaps enough water has flown under the bridge now since her departure. 8-)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I saw it, but not the extended version. The "old and new" comment was because Carol is actually ten years older than Nick, but tries to hide it with plastic surgery.
Charlie Hastings

Post by Charlie Hastings »

Who's the lexicographer on 'Countdown? in today's Chase
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Not another show, but at a school quiz today the answer was Carol Vorderman, with a clue asking who became famous as the numbers lady on Countdown. I did get it.
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

kieranbray
Rookie

Post by kieranbray »

Did anyone see Carol Vorderman's Life Stories last week? I really enjoyed it. :)
Chris Marshall
Acolyte

Post by Chris Marshall »

There was someone on the Scott Mills Show today telling the story about how he went 20-0 down and he still gets mocked for coming up with the word "Fuge". I assume it must be http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_5095

It may be on his daily download. Not sure.
Charlie Hastings

Post by Charlie Hastings »

Susie Dent is a guest on BBC 6 Music this afternoon, on Liz Kershaw's show 1-3 pm sometime. Edit: Shortly after 2pm, apparently.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Just wondering the internet randomly and saw a young Lee Mack doing a show called Gas, and here he is in a spoof during the credits "interrupting" Richard Whiteley doing a promo for Countdown: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZ1xanbh2v0 (Go to around 6:45.) 8-) :lol:
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Just watched today's Pointless Celebrities and noticed that our Rach was a Pointless answer. :!: :!: 8-)
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

James Robinson wrote:Just watched today's Pointless Celebrities and noticed that our Rach was a Pointless answer. :!: :!: 8-)
She was also a pointless answer in a picture quiz I conducted earlier in the year - no one recognised her!
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter

Post by Adam Gillard »

Nicholas of Hewer is on The One Show at the moment.

Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Question on Pointless to name any of the Countdown hosts: (along with other game shows)

Richard Whiteley - 29 (3rd highest overall)
Des O'Connor - 10
Des Lynam - 7
Jeff Stelling - 6
Nick Hewer - 1
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

The shows were The Generation Game, Countdown, Blankety Blank, Allstar Family Fortunes/Family Fortunes, Stars in their Eyes and Name that Tune.

Spoilers now follow:

The CD hosts scored as follows Nick Hewer 1, Jeff Stelling 7, Des O'Connor 10, Des Lynam 6 and Richard Whitely 29 (third highest answer).

The pointless answers were Andy Collins (FF daytime version), Davina McCall (SE), Jools Holland (NTT) and Leslie Crowther (SE). Cat Deeley scored 1 (SE), Jim Davidson 3 (GG), Matthew Kelly 17 (SE) (Michael Kelly scored 100),
Vernon Kay 20 (AFF), Les Dennis 27 (FF). Highest answers Terry Wogan 46 (BB) and Bruce Forsyth 75 (GG).
CO-MSO every August
CO:Rea 20th April 2024
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Tony Atkins wrote:The shows were The Generation Game, Countdown, Blankety Blank, Allstar Family Fortunes/Family Fortunes, Stars in their Eyes and Name that Tune.

Spoilers now follow:

The CD hosts scored as follows Nick Hewer 1, Jeff Stelling 7, Des O'Connor 10, Des Lynam 6 and Richard Whitely 29 (third highest answer).

The pointless answers were Andy Collins (FF daytime version), Davina McCall (SE), Jools Holland (NTT) and Leslie Crowther (SE). Cat Deeley scored 1 (SE), Jim Davidson 3 (GG), Matthew Kelly 17 (SE) (Michael Kelly scored 100),
Vernon Kay 20 (AFF), Les Dennis 27 (FF). Highest answers Terry Wogan 46 (BB) and Bruce Forsyth 75 (GG).
Who the Hell's Michael Kelly and which show did he get 100 for presenting despite Bruce Forsyth also being the highest at 75?
Nick Deller
Rookie

Post by Nick Deller »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Who the Hell's Michael Kelly and which show did he get 100 for presenting despite Bruce Forsyth also being the highest at 75?
100 is the score for any incorrect answer. You knew that, of course. ;)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Nick Deller wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote: Who the Hell's Michael Kelly and which show did he get 100 for presenting despite Bruce Forsyth also being the highest at 75?
So presumably he was the contestant, but it seems odd putting his score in the middle of a list of the presenters!
Nick Deller
Rookie

Post by Nick Deller »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Nick Deller wrote:
So presumably he was the contestant, but it seems odd putting his score in the middle of a list of the presenters!
"Michael Kelly" would have been the incorrect answer given by someone who had nearly remembered "Matthew Kelly" - hence an incorrect answer scoring 100.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Countdown was mentioned in the introductory piece to I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue on Radio 4, Monday 12th November.
As the show was coming from Dunstable, Jack Dee explained that Carol Vorderman had been born there and that she
left Countodwn when they tried to cut her million pound salary by 90 percent. She is alleged to have told them to stick
their new contract up their Vowel-Consonant-Consonant-Vowel.
CO-MSO every August
Phyl Styles
Acolyte

Post by Phyl Styles »

Last night, Thursday 15th November, during the Channel 4 drama Everyday Episode 4566 of the show was being watched by the characters and glimpses of a letters round with the selection SRMAESADI and, later, the numbers 75 6 9 5 8 4 → 663. Royalties for the contestants?
It's pervasive, this thing ....
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Question on "Only Connect" BBC 4 on 19th November.

What comes fourth:

'The Premiership'
'Today with Des & Mel'
'Soccer Saturday' on Sky Sports

The first team didn't get it and it was passed over to the team led by S65 contestant Dave Taylor, who knew
it was Countodown related, Victoria Coren commenting that he was unlucky not to have solved it as he had been
on the show.

Answer:

'The Apprentice'

Reason: Previous Shows of 'Countdown' presenters
CO-MSO every August
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Just spotted Rachel Riley is on Pointless Celebrities on 17th December (BBC1 17:15). Presumably Countdown will get a mention.
CO-MSO every August
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Tony Atkins wrote:Just spotted Rachel Riley is on Pointless Celebrities on 17th December (BBC1 17:15). Presumably Countdown will get a mention.
Yeah, definitely, quite interested to see that's she partnering Mark Durden-Smith on the show.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Question on Mastermind 14/12/12:

Which daytime television programme, featuring Dictionary Corner, has been presented by Richard Whiteley and Nick Hewer,
among others?
CO-MSO every August
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Tony Atkins wrote:Just spotted Rachel Riley is on Pointless Celebrities on 17th December (BBC1 17:15). Presumably Countdown will get a mention.
Not the only show she'll be on on Monday. As well as Countdown and Pointless Celebrities, she'll be hosting a programme called UK360 on the Community Channel at 7am on Monday morning. (That's channel 539 on Sky, 233 on Virgin or 87 on Freeview.)
szodiac
Enthusiast

Post by szodiac »

Rachel Riley was one of the featured celebrities who appeared on CBBC's "12 AGAIN" (with Ronan Keating and Gene Simmons/Paul Stanley of Kiss !!). "Famous faces revisit the music and TV shows they loved and the big news stories that happened when they were kids". (Series 2 Episode 8). It was on CBBC today (30th December 2012) and currently available on BBC iPlayer at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Episode_8/ but not sure for how long. It feature old clips from Countdown about 22 minutes in of the 28 minutes episode.

Mauro
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

This game was featured:

http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_2269 which is on YouTube!

It's from 1998 when Rachel would've been 12 so good research there!

This one too: http://wiki.apterous.org/Episode_2190 also from 1998.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Question on Celebrity Mastermind 3rd Jan 2013 - Who is Lord Sugar's assistant in the Apprentice and took over from
Jeff Stelling as presenter of Countdown in January 2012?
CO-MSO every August
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Tony Atkins wrote:Question on Celebrity Mastermind 3rd Jan 2013 - Who is Lord Sugar's assistant in the Apprentice and took over from
Nick Hewer.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Tony Atkins wrote:Question on Celebrity Mastermind 3rd Jan 2013 - Who is Lord Sugar's assistant in the Apprentice and took over from
Nick Hewer.
Correct.

Which political party in 19 BEEP-BEEP-BEEP-BEEP

I've started so I'll finish. Uuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnrrrrgh. Yeah.
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Question on Eggheads 8th Jan 2013 - At the start of 2012, Nick Hewer, best known from the Apprentice, took over as host of which programme? University Challenge Countdown or Mastermind?

Chris Hughes admitted it was a programme he doesn't watch any more, for reasons of his own.
Jeremy Vine asked: Is that to do with 3 consonants and two vowels? (ie since Carol left)
CO-MSO every August
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Tony Atkins wrote:Question on Eggheads 8th Jan 2013 - At the start of 2012, Nick Hewer, best known from the Apprentice, took over as host of which programme? University Challenge Countdown or Mastermind?
Hmm. Not sure this time. I'll go for University Challenge Countdown?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

I think the only way this thread could be made more exciting would be if we shared out stories of Countdown mentions on other quizzes. So here's tonight's exciting story: at our local pub quiz we were just asked for the first name of Lord Sugar's advisor who now presents the programme. Fun times.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

On One Born Every Minute last night, one of the mothers was complaining about missing Made in Chelsea and not sleeping well, it was suggested in passing that Countdown might help.

This thread might be more effective.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Tony Atkins
Fanatic

Post by Tony Atkins »

Sorry if some people find this thread boring - complain to the BBC for keep mentioning it!

Question on Pointless Monday 14th January 2013: Name the member of Mensa who was "Richard Whiteley's co-host
on Countdown." The answered scored 58.
CO-MSO every August
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Tony Atkins wrote:Sorry if some people find this thread boring - complain to the BBC for keep mentioning it!

Question on Pointless Monday 14th January 2013: Name the member of Mensa who was "Richard Whiteley's co-host
on Countdown." The answered scored 58.
Catching up with all my quiz shows at the moment.

From The Chase on the same day: "In 1982, who was the first Dictionary Corner guest on Countdown?"

A) Frank Bough B) Richard Stilgoe C) Ted Moult
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

C!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

ted stead
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Ted Maul.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

excellent. probably my two favourite Teds ever
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Actually, was it even called Dictionary Corner back in them days?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Jon Corby wrote:Actually, was it even called Dictionary Corner back in them days?
The conundrum wasn't even called the conundrum then.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Graeme Cole wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:Actually, was it even called Dictionary Corner back in them days?
The conundrum wasn't even called the conundrum then.
Fuck, I mocked Sudbery for this:
Clare Sudbery wrote:- conundrum: keep finger on buzzer, remember to press. Horribly easy to forget this.
and she was right all along! :o :shock: