Countdown mentions on other shows

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Countdown mentions on other shows

Post by Derek Hazell »

I just heard Countdown mentioned in "The Office", and I thought we should have a thread for when we hear Countdown mentioned in other shows or films.

Here is a pretty good list to start with: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0138228/movieconnections
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Re: Countdown mentions on other shows

Post by Douglas Wilson »

In About at Boy, Hugh Grant is seen watching Countdown on more than one occasion.
Mike Brailsford
Acolyte

Post by Mike Brailsford »

Adrian Edmonson in 'Teenage Kicks' and French & Saunders have mimicked the clock in sketches.
Douglas Wilson
Enthusiast

Post by Douglas Wilson »

In Corrie about 6 months ago, Betty was working behind the bar and mentioned to one of the regulars (I can't remember who) that her son Gordon had applied to go on Countdown.
Kieran Child
Enthusiast

Post by Kieran Child »

gordon williams hasn't been on though, so he didn't pass the audition clearly.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Douglas Wilson wrote:In Corrie about 6 months ago, Betty was working behind the bar and mentioned to one of the regulars (I can't remember who) that her son Gordon had applied to go on Countdown.
Was it this episode?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Douglas Wilson wrote:In Corrie about 6 months ago, Betty was working behind the bar and mentioned to one of the regulars (I can't remember who) that her son Gordon had applied to go on Countdown.
Was it this episode?
Didn't see any mention of Countdown in that clip, I think you meant this episode, Kai?
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:
Was it this episode?
Didn't see any mention of Countdown in that clip, I think you meant this episode, Kai?
Bugger
'This one goes up to eleven'
Fool's top.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Kieran Child wrote:gordon williams hasn't been on though, so he didn't pass the audition clearly.
His surname was Clegg, IIRC, but he still hasn't been on yet... :)
Lesley Hines
Kiloposter

Post by Lesley Hines »

Stephen Fry listed it as one of his guilty pleasures. To be fair the show was called "Stephen Fry's guilty pleasures" (or similar) so I'm not sure if it counts, but the man's a fan, anyway. :)
Lowering the averages since 2009
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Lesley Hines wrote:Stephen Fry listed it as one of his guilty pleasures. To be fair the show was called "Stephen Fry's guilty pleasures" (or similar) so I'm not sure if it counts, but the man's a fan, anyway. :)
Likewise Peter Cook was depicted as playing Countdown with his Asian girlfriend in the biopic that was shown a few years ago.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Countdown must have been mentioned on the UK version of The Office, or Kevin Bishop must have confused a UK version with a US version.

Anyway, there have been a handful of Weakest Link questions with the answer of Countdown.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jason Larsen wrote:Anyway, there have been a handful of Weakest Link questions with the answer of Countdown.
They could put them all together and have a special where all the questions have the answer "Countdown".
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:Anyway, there have been a handful of Weakest Link questions with the answer of Countdown.
They could put them all together and have a special where all the questions have the answer "Countdown".
Reminds me that on April 1 one year they did an edition where all the questions in the first round had the answer "bank".
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

A clip was on It'll be Alright on the Night last night, where DesO made an inappropriate remark to a young lady contestant.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:A clip was on It'll be Alright on the Night last night, where DesO made an inappropriate remark to a young lady contestant.
I saw it too. And the original showing of the original showing of the programme around 12 months ago
Thomas Wood
Rookie

Post by Thomas Wood »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:A clip was on It'll be Alright on the Night last night, where DesO made an inappropriate remark to a young lady contestant.
I've just put the clip up on the Countdowngoofs channel for anyone that is interested. Link is below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63r2qJHj88U
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Thomas Wood wrote:
I've just put the clip up on the Countdowngoofs channel for anyone that is interested. Link is below:

Awesome service as usual Thomas. Did you ever explain why you do this slash why you love Countdown so much? (you're welcome to answer simply "yes" and I'll go and find the welcome thread post myself)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I can see it now.

"What is the first letter of the English alphabet?"

"Countdown."

"A."
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Thomas Wood wrote:

It's already on youtube :arrow: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPvv5uQndc8
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

This happened the day before I was on, and was mentioned by the previous days's returning champion. I was slightly disappointed when I saw the episode on TV, a) because the gaffe was cut, and b) because I expected her to be better-looking.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Martin Smith wrote:This happened the day before I was on, and was mentioned by the previous days's returning champion. I was slightly disappointed when I saw the episode on TV, a) because the gaffe was cut, and b) because I expected her to be better-looking.
Yeah, they were a bit over-zealous in cutting that I think. After all it is a phrase which can be used perfectly innocently, and it is up to the viewer how they take it. Just like in the Carry On films which are broadcast during the day all the time.
On the other hand, perhaps they get a fee for submitting something to one of those gaffe shows, and if so I'd be right behind it.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

'What was the first programme to be broadcast on Channel 4' has just been a question on this morning's 'Deadly Knowledge' (C4- 10a.m) It's a great example of TV that leaves you wondering 'how did they get through the audition', along with a terrible fear for the future and a strong urge to shout 'stop giggling and being so friggin' gormless' at the telly. The presenter, David Berry, is one of those who came to the fore when being a 'geezer' was flavour of the month. Surely it is easier to say 'Dee Aitch Lawrence' than it is to say 'Dee Haitch Lawrence'; and just what and where, is 'Sowsbury Cafedral'.

The current series is a repeat from about 3 years ago and a disproportionate questions seem to be about Jade Goody!
Fool's top.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Vord of the Board on the Paul O'Grady show tonight - well, NOW, if you can manage to put your brain in a bucket for the rest of the show.
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Derek Hazell wrote:On the other hand, perhaps they get a fee for submitting something to one of those gaffe shows, and if so I'd be right behind it.
Indeed, they do. I've just read a bit in Damian's book which said they would get £100 for these "clangers", with the bonus of the primetime exposure.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

Sue Sanders wrote:... put your brain in a bucket ...
Hmm, clever euphemism. ;)
(Sorry to lower the tone.)
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Sort of a mention in 'Never Mind The Buzzcocks' tonight:

The host read out a statement, then said something like "to see if that was a joke, let's consult joke corner", and cut to Phil Jupitus studying a book titled 'joke dictionary' which looked suspiciously like an ODE2r!

It did seem fairly amusing at the time. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Yes, I thought that too Julie.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Did anyone spot Harry Hill's knitted character on Monday's episode of Countdown? On TV Burp they have a competition where you have to spot the knitted character and this week he/she/it was on Rachel's chair.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Martin Bishop wrote:Did anyone spot Harry Hill's knitted character on Monday's episode of Countdown? On TV Burp they have a competition where you have to spot the knitted character and this week he/she/it was on Rachel's chair.
Yeah, see the spoilers thread. I didn't watch Countdown that day and used the mention to enter the competition :)
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Martin Bishop wrote:Did anyone spot Harry Hill's knitted character on Monday's episode of Countdown? On TV Burp they have a competition where you have to spot the knitted character and this week he/she/it was on Rachel's chair.
That was brilliant :D (though didn't see it other than on HH) My ex husband and I used to try and catch eachother out with my knitted monkey. He went into the bread bin, in with the hoover bag, to Fuertaventura to be buried, in a carrier bag, in the sand with his tail sticking out. And he was twice the size of that knitted creature so not easy to sneak out of the house!

Anyway. I digress.

Back to the topic, please.
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Sue Sanders wrote:Back to the topic, please.
Jack Hurst selflessly shared it with everybody, and some cheeky woman who isn't even a member of the forum ended up winning it!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sue Sanders wrote:My ex husband and I used to try and catch eachother out with my knitted monkey.
Gross.

Was surprised to see that Derek hadn't posted this already.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

There's a new TV commercial for Terry's Chocolate Orange that uses the Countdown clock music.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:My ex husband and I used to try and catch eachother out with my knitted monkey.
Gross.

Was surprised to see that Derek hadn't posted this already.
Nope, I don't find knitted monkeys gross. I got one free with some tea once. Admittedly it does have a rather suspicious hole in its mouth though.

Am off work today, and just saw the knitted character on This Morning, sitting between Holly and Phillip*, if anyone wants another go.

* Must have been missing Gordon the Gopher!
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Yeah, see the spoilers thread. I didn't watch Countdown that day and used the mention to enter the competition :)
Sorry. As usual, I'm about a week behind in my countdown-watching and associated forum-reading.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Phil Reynolds wrote:There's a new TV commercial for Terry's Chocolate Orange that uses the Countdown clock music.
There's an old TV commercial for Terry's Chocolate Orange that uses the Countdown clock music that Terry's have decided to resurrect
Fool's top.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Sue Sanders wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:There's a new TV commercial for Terry's Chocolate Orange that uses the Countdown clock music.
There's an old TV commercial for Terry's Chocolate Orange that uses the Countdown clock music that Terry's have decided to resurrect
Yeah it was on around this time last year, the royalty cash paid for the new set. I assume Phil meant a new one with the same music, but is it actually just recycled?
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Martin Bishop wrote:Sorry. As usual, I'm about a week behind in my countdown-watching and associated forum-reading.
I shouldn't try to get up-to-date, as again 4oD has failed to post today's show yet. Still, fingers crossed it won't get three days behind, as it did the week before last.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Sue Sanders wrote:
Yeah it was on around this time last year, the royalty cash paid for the new set. I assume Phil meant a new one with the same music, but is it actually just recycled?
What I saw looked familiar - set in an office with everyone nicking the segments while the girl's on the phone or something (don't pay much attention to ads) but damn fine to know that it put a decent amount of money into CD coffers
Fool's top.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Found this. The dog hates the squirrel. Can't find a better link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa9AoFXO5ZI
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Found this. The dog hates the squirrel. Can't find a better link.

A better version (for those uninterested in dogs/squirrels).
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Yeah that's the one, didn't realise it had been on before. Surprised that the programme benefited from the music royalties - I'd have expected them to go to Alan Hawkshaw.
Sue Sanders
Kiloposter

Post by Sue Sanders »

Kirk Bevins wrote:Found this. The dog hates the squirrel. Can't find a better link.

My dad hates squirrels because they steal his hazelnuts. So he puts traps out to catch them. The really stupid thing is, the nuts then sit in the fruitbowl uneaten, for months, until they turn to dust. But it allows for plenty of cheeky 'dad's nuts' innuendo to brighten our little household (nut season is longer than plum season!)
Fool's top.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

On Russell Howard's Good News this week, he was talking about tunes you wouldn't want to have sex to, and the Countdown theme was one of them. He then speculated about whether Richard Whiteley used to have sex to it, and demonstrated other fun on Countdown by playing a clip of a young Carol Vorderman giggling when "POO" came up on the board, and then giggling further as it turned into "POOF".
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell wrote:On Russell Howard's Good News this week, he was talking about tunes you wouldn't want to have sex to, and the Countdown theme was one of them.
Just to be pedantic :roll: it was the clock music rather than the theme tune.

On this week's Beautiful People, there was a reference to Simon having made a collage of Carol Vorderman out of sequins.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Derek Hazell wrote:playing a clip of a young Carol Vorderman giggling when "POO" came up on the board, and then giggling further as it turned into "POOF".
Was that my game?

(PS Russell Howard is legend!!!!!!!)
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Derek Hazell wrote:On Russell Howard's Good News this week, he was talking about tunes you wouldn't want to have sex to, and the Countdown theme was one of them. He then speculated about whether Richard Whiteley used to have sex to it
One of my friends' mums had a friend who once went on a date with Richard Whiteley and we used to do this exact same joke, except in our version Richard would then say "Very good. Now here's Carol to show you how it should have been done!" :mrgreen:
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

:)
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:playing a clip of a young Carol Vorderman giggling when "POO" came up on the board, and then giggling further as it turned into "POOF".
Was that my game?
Well spotted, Kai, but no it wasn't this game, as it was before she glammed up, and the P, O, O and F were the first four letters on the board that time.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Did anyone see Roy Walker's Gameshow Top 50 on Challenge last night?

The launch of Countdown came in at No.34. Rude words from Countdown past got to No.6.

Although I think the word gameshow was a bit loose considering the others in the list were hardly gameshows.

For example, the Eurovision Song Contest cropped up a few times.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Season One of That Mitchell Webb look included a sketch called Numberwang, a gameshow parody spoofing obscure rules, over-cheerful contestants and nonsensical catchphrases. Episode three featured Gyles Brandreth as a guest in 'Number Corner', telling a story largely unrelated to the game itself halfway through.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

There was a mention by Julie Walters in Victoria Woods's brilliant 'Mid Life Christmas' on Xmas Eve, playing the actress who played Mrs Overall in Acorn Antiques, who was trying to resurrect her career. She turned down the offer of a place on 'I'm A Celebrity' and said that if she really wanted to do that then she would go on CD as a guest in Dictionary Corner.

This programme was one of the funniest things I have seen for many years, with a great send up of Larkrise To Candleford and had me convulsing with laughter. Great stuff!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

The 100 Greatest Christmas Moments, a 2004 show (revised 2005) which was repeated this Christmas on More4 had a segment on the Countdown Christmas Special from 1997. Richard Whiteley was interviewed about the show, in which he played Carol (billed under her married name of Carol King), and lost on a crucial conundrum. Richard said that he pressed the buzzer immediately out of habit from pressing a button to start the conundrum, which handed the rest of the time to Carol (although she only needed 1 second more anyway!).

Another brilliant conundrum it was by the way, being "LostMeTie", when of course Richard was so well known for his love of said appendage.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Interesting Countdown mention on last night's QI.

It gave a list of the top 10 ten play-off tunes for people who die, and the Countdown theme tune was No.1 :!: :shock: :o

It seemed to good to be true, but there you go.

The rest of the top 10 wasn't mentioned by the way.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

James Robinson wrote:Interesting Countdown mention on last night's QI.

It gave a list of the top 10 ten play-off tunes for people who die, and the Countdown theme tune was No.1 :!: :shock: :o

It seemed to good to be true, but there you go.

The rest of the top 10 wasn't mentioned by the way.
Alan Davies clearly doesn't watch the show, as his attempt to hum the tune was shockingly bad.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

After a torrid display, Clarke Carlisle was given a ribbing on MOTD today (he was also mentioned on Football Focus earlier). Alan Hansen went as far as to say he didn't think he should have gone on Countdown whilst Burnley were fighting relegation. Fool probably thinks it's a live show.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:After a torrid display, Clarke Carlisle was given a ribbing on MOTD today (he was also mentioned on Football Focus earlier). Alan Hansen went as far as to say he didn't think he should have gone on Countdown whilst Burnley were fighting relegation. Fool probably thinks it's a live show.
I remember watching Soccer Saturday earlier and Jeff was trying to defend him as best he could, despite the fact that he gave away 2 penalties.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

James Robinson wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote:After a torrid display, Clarke Carlisle was given a ribbing on MOTD today (he was also mentioned on Football Focus earlier). Alan Hansen went as far as to say he didn't think he should have gone on Countdown whilst Burnley were fighting relegation. Fool probably thinks it's a live show.
I remember watching Soccer Saturday earlier and Jeff was trying to defend him as best he could, despite the fact that he gave away 2 penalties.
There's no doubt he was awful today, but to blame his appearance on Countdown is too convenient.
Alec Rivers
Devotee

Post by Alec Rivers »

I did like the fact that Burnley scrambled his name on the team sheet which they'd given to the match commentators. I can't remember exactly, but it was something like RACKLE SCALLIER. :)