Letter Distribution

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Letter Distribution

Post by JasonCullen »

I have always wondered whether the letters on Countdown are fixed or just scrambled randomly!? This is because when I play the game on my Countdown board game and shuffle the connsonants and vowels randomly, more than likely I will get disgusting selections and a constant repetition of the same letters e.g. 4 "A"s in a row! So do any past contestants know how they scramble the letters? It's a question I forgot to ask when I was at the studios :D
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Re: Letter Distribution

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Random, then de-uglified. They sort through and remove anything that's too bunched up to make it all a bit nicer.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

jasoncullen wrote:I have always wondered whether the letters on Countdown are fixed or just scrambled randomly!? This is because when I play the game on my Countdown board game and shuffle the connsonants and vowels randomly, more than likely I will get disgusting selections and a constant repetition of the same letters e.g. 4 "A"s in a row! So do any past contestants know how they scramble the letters? It's a question I forgot to ask when I was at the studios :D
I like the selections with the repetitive letters, it can be used as practice for COLIN games :).
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Never one to miss a chance to plug my own work - CountGen accurately simulates the "cheaty shuffle" used on the program, so it generates much more accurate practice games. It also gives you the solutions when you've finished tearing your hair out.