Series 33 on the Countdown Wiki

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Series 33 on the Countdown Wiki

Post by Martin Gardner »

Hi

I've checked all the games of http://www.countdownwiki.com/Series_33 on the Countdown Wiki. Not all games have round details, but all of the group finals plus the seven finals games all have checked rounds details. Of note is Allan Saldanha's perfect score before the conundrum in his game against Tim Morrissey.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Re: Series 33 on the Countdown Wiki

Post by Gavin Chipper »

What do the asterisks mean next to some of the other available words? Isn't the point of an asterisk that you get told? Or am I being blind?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Nice work, well done!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Tried to post in this thread before but it seems to have been eaten by the Internet ether, so I'll just echo Jono's sentiments.
Gevin-Gavin wrote:What do the asterisks mean next to some of the other available words?
Words that DC didn't mention. It's fairly meaningless when there are 30 maxes or something but I'll look at improved formatting over the summer - once we have the data in a sensible format, that sort of thing is just a programming task.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Ginger Jono wrote:Nice work, well done!
Oh yeah, that too.

I was under the impression that Tim Morrissey had scored the maximum total with his 73 and Allan Saldanha in the game against Joyce Cansfield, but apparently not. Presumably all the words have been checked against whatever dictionary was used at the time (whichever one it was)?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

The entrants comprised 26 series champions, three Championship of Champions winners who were not regular series champions and 25 other finalists from the first 32 series. The six champions of the first 32 series not to compete in the Supreme Championship were Andrew Guy, Nic Brown, Rajaretnam Yogasagarar, Darren Shacklady, David Acton and Alan Sinclair.
Didn't the CofC immediately before double up as a group of the supremes? I would say that Darren Shacklady and David Acton did take part.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Gevin-Gavin wrote: Presumably all the words have been checked against whatever dictionary was used at the time (whichever one it was)?
That would be the ideal solution yes, but I don't know anyone who has the dictionary. I checked my own games on the Countdownwiki and there were a few invalid ones there - DOORCASES for nine in one case.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Gevin-Gavin wrote:
The entrants comprised 26 series champions, three Championship of Champions winners who were not regular series champions and 25 other finalists from the first 32 series. The six champions of the first 32 series not to compete in the Supreme Championship were Andrew Guy, Nic Brown, Rajaretnam Yogasagarar, Darren Shacklady, David Acton and Alan Sinclair.
Didn't the CofC immediately before double up as a group of the supremes? I would say that Darren Shacklady and David Acton did take part.
Yep, and so did Alan Sinclair.