SPOILER ALERT!! Des O Connor and his chatting

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Chris Corby
Devotee

SPOILER ALERT!! Des O Connor and his chatting

Post by Chris Corby »

Now don't get me wrong, before I saw a single programme of Countdown I supported Des O Connor as host and still do.
Having said that, I feel he could improve in one aspect - chatting to the contestants.
I have lost count of the number of times he has introduced someone, read his crib card out, included observations and said, "We will talk more about that later" when I know he never will.
I got a bit behind with my Countdowns and have only just watched the Rev Barry defeated on his eighth show. Des didn't talk to him - after just failing to be an octochamp as well! Instead he went straight to the guest in Dictionary Corner, John Sargeant, for a further unnecessary conversation. I know he has years of talking to celebrities on Des O Connor tonight, but he ought to make a bit more time to try and let the contestants' personalities shine through. It could be that the director has edited all the chat out, in which case apologies to Des, and instead the flak goes to the director. Anyone else agree?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Re: SPOILER ALERT!! Des O Connor and his chatting

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes

There's lots of spare time in the show. I don't understand.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

I have to agree. The impression conveyed is that Des sees the contestants as incidental rather than as the stars they really are. I have noticed that, on the rare occasions he asks the contestant about something on their card, he sometimes uses this as an intro to a story about himself. I think it's a shame because there are some interesting contestants and it would be nice to know more about them.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

It could be that the director has edited all the chat out, in which case apologies to Des, and instead the flak goes to the director.
The director isn't responsible for content, he's responsible for the visuals, but lets blame him anyway. :lol:

As for your other comments, we'll talk about them later.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Actually, I've observed the things that are happening close to the opening of the show, and I don't really see that.

It's mainly because Carol Vorderman engages in this conversation, and it would be rude for Des O'Connor not to talk to Carol.

After all, when it was announced that Des O'Connor would replace Des Lynam on Countdown, all the news articles that stated this said that Carol was looking forward to working with Des.

I'm sorry, I meant to say that I do not understand it because of their chemistry.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Damian E wrote:As for your other comments, we'll talk about them later.
:lol:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Karen Pearson wrote:I have to agree. The impression conveyed is that Des sees the contestants as incidental rather than as the stars they really are. I have noticed that, on the rare occasions he asks the contestant about something on their card, he sometimes uses this as an intro to a story about himself. I think it's a shame because there are some interesting contestants and it would be nice to know more about them.
I agree with this, and the OP.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

What about Des and Carol's chemistry?

Because of this, I don't see how it all comes into play.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I know on Des chiffres et des lettres (in French) the show is about an hour long with 14 rounds, and the first 15 minutes they just spend talking. I remember one guy was a retired primary school teacher and then it turned out that the two contestants had played each other in a tournament and they already knew each other. Basically I think it's a really good idea, and I always like it when someone with a bit of character goes on the show (like Chris Wills) and sometimes I think the staff ignore what is potentially a good selling point of the show. Look at Deal or No Deal that comes directly afterwards. Basically the whole show is based round one person.

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Jason Larsen wrote:What about Des and Carol's chemistry?
Is the phrase "they deserve each other" a purely British idiom, or is it understood over there too?

Anyway... they deserve each other.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You must understand French.

But, if Des O'Connor and Carol Vorderman have a conversation, I just don't see how Des can be slightly withdrawn sometimes (when he's talking about a challenger's interests, for example.)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Oh, sorry.

Here, it makes a lot of sense to say, "You deserve a certain thing," but as for the statement, "You deserve a person," that makes no sense at all.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Jason Larsen wrote:Oh, sorry.

Here, it makes a lot of sense to say, "You deserve a certain thing," but as for the statement, "You deserve a person," that makes no sense at all.
I'm pretty sure I've seen it on several US shows, so it must exist there. Jason, when an outside observer says two people deserve each other, it usually means the two people are bad (or at least in the eyes of the observer), and deserve whatever grief they may cause each other. And in this case Jennifer thinks Carol and Des "deserve each other". Does that clear things up?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

There are not too many shows in America on like Newlyweds now, Dinos.
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

I decided long ago that this happened because Des isn't a good off-the-cuff conversationalist.

He gets tongue-tied and says the most banal things.

The "chats" with the personalities scream out that they are rehearsed, because they tend to consist of: "Didn''t you once...." and the personality then launches into it.
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

harry wrote:The "chats" with the personalities scream out that they are rehearsed, because they tend to consist of: "Didn''t you once...." and the personality then launches into it.
This was always his interview style. Somehow he made a career as a chatshow host out of it.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Des has just redeemed himself. In yesterday's programme (18 March) he chatted well to both players. Keep it up! :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I like Des also.