Post your audition/filming/transmission dates here

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Re: Post your audition/filming/transmission dates here

Post by James Robinson »

Martin Thompson wrote:Presumably the higher you're ranked in Scrabble the better your chances in Countdown? Unless I'm completely wrong.
Not necessarily, as Scrabble uses the wrong dictionary, which many a decent Scrabbler in the past. And normally, good Scrabblers are hopeless at numbers games too, so no guarantee that a top Scrabbler would be good, unless they know both the Scrabble & Countdown dictionary and is which words are good in both dictionaries. 8-) :geek: :ugeek: :ugeek:
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

If it means you can find words in jumbled up letters, it should help quite a lot. Unless you take ridiculous risks, then someone who can do that is likely to have a reasonable shot of becoming an octochamp unless they come across somebody else pretty good. There have been many scrabblers that have been pretty decent at Countdown.
Ciaran McCarthy
Rookie

Post by Ciaran McCarthy »

Jason Turner mentioned to me while we are playing, he will be auditioning in Leeds on March 7th....will be good to see him on the sow because he seem decent player in apterous
Andrew Sullivan

Post by Andrew Sullivan »

I had my audition back in November and I'm slotted in for the 4th game of the day on March 24th, so between now and then, I plan to get as much practice as I can
Ciaran McCarthy
Rookie

Post by Ciaran McCarthy »

Watch out.....i will be on air on Monday 14th April :D
Dave Nicholson

Post by Dave Nicholson »

From experience, how long do they normally take to let you know if you got through an audition?

I just had mine, played solidly mostly but had one fantastic round (beat 8 others in the room) and one mare (1 off a reasonably simple numbers) so I'm not sure either way at all.

Am I going to have a week of torture or will they tell me soon?! :D
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Dave Nicholson wrote:From experience, how long do they normally take to let you know if you got through an audition?

I just had mine, played solidly mostly but had one fantastic round (beat 8 others in the room) and one mare (1 off a reasonably simple numbers) so I'm not sure either way at all.

I was told that they'd inform me within a week, and they contacted me 4 days later, I think. So you'll probably hear from them within one week, and by the sounds of it it'll be good news! Well done, and good luck :)
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Dave Nicholson

Post by Dave Nicholson »

Callum Todd wrote:
Dave Nicholson wrote:From experience, how long do they normally take to let you know if you got through an audition?

I was told that they'd inform me within a week, and they contacted me 4 days later, I think. So you'll probably hear from them within one week, and by the sounds of it it'll be good news! Well done, and good luck :)
Cheers! I hope so!

It's so frustrating as if I'd got that numbers round, and therefore maxed the 2 numbers we did (got a simple 6 small that a few didn't get due to it being 6 small) then I'd be very confident but from their point of view my numbers must seem weaker than they really are as I'd genuinely have got that 90% of the time.

I suppose that's the nature of any audition, it certainly could have gone worse anyway.
Andrew Sullivan

Dave Nicholson wrote:
Callum Todd wrote:

Cheers! I hope so!

It's so frustrating as if I'd got that numbers round, and therefore maxed the 2 numbers we did (got a simple 6 small that a few didn't get due to it being 6 small) then I'd be very confident but from their point of view my numbers must seem weaker than they really are as I'd genuinely have got that 90% of the time.

I suppose that's the nature of any audition, it certainly could have gone worse anyway.
Well, when I auditioned, I got 4 7-letter words and a 6-letter word, got one of the number games exact and the other just 1 away and got 1 out of the 2 Conundrums, and I passed, so if you've done as good or better than me, then you'll certainly have passed :)
jason turner

Post by jason turner »

Had a total nightmare audition. Arrived late due to having to turn back half way to Leeds the Mrs thought she'd left hair straighteners on :shock: :shock: Hit every red light on way. Petrol gauge light blinking furiously.
Got into reception 10 mins after supposed start time. Had to call up and make sure I could still get seen.
Damian was sent down and had to walk me up to room where everyone was already seated and raring to go.
Me totally stressed!
Spotted 2 max letters from 4, both numbers and neither conundrum(easy ones too)
So no chance, I'll try again in a few months.

Well that was what Ithought. Got E-mail yesterday(one of the cons lol) to say I'd passed. :shock:

Really nice feeling. so will hopefully speak to Holly next week and she'll confirm what goes on from here.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Nice work. Were the hair straighteners on? :)
jason turner

Post by jason turner »

Matt Morrison wrote:Nice work. Were the hair straighteners on? :)
NO :evil: :evil:

Oh how we laughed!!
Dave Nicholson

Post by Dave Nicholson »

Congrats Jason, sounds like you had the same rounds as I did in the afternoon.

Delighted to find out yesterday that I've also passed! Good day all round then!

Can't wait to get a filming date! :D
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Congratulations Jason and Dave. Finding out you've passed on the same day..... mmmm :roll: another all apterite clash beckons me thinks.
Andrew Sullivan

Well, today's the day that I face my letters and numbers-based destiny. I'm hopeful that the practice I've put in will pay dividends for me. Good luck to all those that are going through the auditioning process and those that have had their auditions and are awaiting their results.

EDIT - Filming done, look out for me on May 27th
jason turner

Post by jason turner »

Just had a call off Holly, Filming on 23rd April. got first slot at 1030.
Jordan F
Kiloposter

Post by Jordan F »

Part of Series 70 still or would it sneak into 71?
jason turner

Post by jason turner »

Must be 71, Said if I got to finals filming would be November.
Dave Nicholson

Post by Dave Nicholson »

I am the last slot on the 24th! So Jason I'll just miss playing you, even if you become an Octochamp, but I might meet you on the Friday if you last out the whole day (I won't tell anyone!)
jason turner

Post by jason turner »

Dave Nicholson wrote:I am the last slot on the 24th! So Jason I'll just miss playing you, even if you become an Octochamp, but I might meet you on the Friday if you last out the whole day (I won't tell anyone!)

Great News Dave, well done 8-) 8-) 8-)
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

My audition is this Friday 10.30am. Wish I'd made it a bit later in the day now!
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Paul Worsley wrote:My audition is this Friday 10.30am. Wish I'd made it a bit later in the day now!
Good luck Paul. :)
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Thanks
Will Jeffcott

Post by Will Jeffcott »

Auditioning in about 5 minutes, wish me luck! ;)
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Will Jeffcott wrote:Auditioning in about 5 minutes, wish me luck! ;)
Would have done if we'd known Will. Hope it went well and you passed. :)
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Can anyone post an example of audition rounds please, as I'm assuming its quite easy to get on judging by the standard recently?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Dave Preece wrote:Can anyone post an example of audition rounds please, as I'm assuming its quite easy to get on judging by the standard recently?
I don't think it's a good idea to post recent audition tests, in case any upcoming applicants happen to be given that test. I'm pretty sure they don't make a new set of rounds for every person who applies, but I don't know how long they keep using the same questions before they replace them with a new set.

Also, I think it should be made a rule that anyone who hasn't been on the show but still comments negatively about "the standard recently" and that "it must be quite easy to get on" must apply themselves. :-)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Dave Preece wrote:Can anyone post an example of audition rounds please, as I'm assuming its quite easy to get on judging by the standard recently?
Yeah, yesterday's game between Mark and Ciaran was fucking shit.

Here's one.

My audition was similar, by which I mean the letters weren't your average TV/apterous letters rounds. They deliberately contain an 8 or two, maybe a 9, but generally not something like RELATIONS, you're looking for a common word (usage-wise) but uncommon in Countdown selections. I reckon knowing that really helps. I did fucking shit in the audition, but if I was looking at rounds knowing they contained an 8 or 9 (and a word I knew, not NAARTJIES, which I don't know) I'd have done a lot better. I was just happy to get a 6 from ABGLNOTUW, while Heather Culpin fished out the 8 and I was left thinking "shit, I'm well out of depth here".
Heather Styles

Post by Heather Styles »

"I think it should be made a rule that anyone who hasn't been on the show but still comments negatively about "the standard recently" and that "it must be quite easy to get on" must apply themselves. :-)"

Amen.
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Jon Corby wrote:
Yeah, yesterday's game between Mark and Ciaran was fucking shit.

Here's one.

My audition was similar, by which I mean the letters weren't your average TV/apterous letters rounds. They deliberately contain an 8 or two, maybe a 9, but generally not something like RELATIONS, you're looking for a common word (usage-wise) but uncommon in Countdown selections. I reckon knowing that really helps. I did fucking shit in the audition, but if I was looking at rounds knowing they contained an 8 or 9 (and a word I knew, not NAARTJIES, which I don't know) I'd have done a lot better. I was just happy to get a 6 from ABGLNOTUW, while Heather Culpin fished out the 8 and I was left thinking "shit, I'm well out of depth here".
I'm embarrassed; but not really THAT surprised to say: I scored 84 :-(

I'm almost CERTAIN I'd get on the show with that result though!
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Heather Styles wrote:"I think it should be made a rule that anyone who hasn't been on the show but still comments negatively about "the standard recently" and that "it must be quite easy to get on" must apply themselves. :-)"

Amen.
15 to 1 must be a tad easy too now-a-days ;-)
Dave Nicholson

Post by Dave Nicholson »

The first episode of the Dave Nicholson countdown experience will be aired on 7th August (I think). Will it be the start of a recordbreaking Octorun? Will I burst into tears with everyone looking at me and score no points? Will something else happen?

Who knows?
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

I think I've heard in the past that auditions are now done over the phone; is this true or do they still do them at a hotel with about half a dozen people?

When I auditioned it took 11 months between applying and getting an audition. I remember emailing Damian to 9 months in to check my application hadn't been lost and then had a response to say I'd be invited to the next set 2 months later. As I was based in London I guess there probably would have been a higher number of applicants hence the long wait. But once I'd passed I did get confirmation of a filming date about 3 weeks later to film in a months time.

As there seems to be more ex-contestants being allowed back on, does anyone know if they have to re-audition? I have also had the impression that certainly for players who have the potential to be a big hitter, the time passing and getting on has taken a while (maybe up to several months) especially as I've no doubt the people carrying out the auditions and sorting the order of play can just check Apterous and find out who the big hitters are. Whether that's because letting big hitters on earlier might create a top heavy series finals or making the following series a great standard which would accommodate 2-3 big hitters. If anyone wants to fill me in I'd be grateful :)
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Tom wrote:I think I've heard in the past that auditions are now done over the phone; is this true or do they still do them at a hotel with about half a dozen people?
Some (most?) auditions are now done over the phone, but in-person auditions still happen. In my case, they explained that they weren't going to be doing in-person auditions near me for ages, so they offered me the phone audition.
Tom wrote:When I auditioned it took 11 months between applying and getting an audition. I remember emailing Damian to 9 months in to check my application hadn't been lost and then had a response to say I'd be invited to the next set 2 months later. As I was based in London I guess there probably would have been a higher number of applicants hence the long wait. But once I'd passed I did get confirmation of a filming date about 3 weeks later to film in a months time.

As there seems to be more ex-contestants being allowed back on, does anyone know if they have to re-audition? I have also had the impression that certainly for players who have the potential to be a big hitter, the time passing and getting on has taken a while (maybe up to several months) especially as I've no doubt the people carrying out the auditions and sorting the order of play can just check Apterous and find out who the big hitters are. Whether that's because letting big hitters on earlier might create a top heavy series finals or making the following series a great standard which would accommodate 2-3 big hitters. If anyone wants to fill me in I'd be grateful :)
It's been rumoured before that they look up applicants on apterous, and until a couple of years ago I and many others assumed this was the norm. However, Damian later said that they hardly ever research applicants on apterous, if at all. There have been one or two occasions in the past where apterous players have been asked to wait for the next series for one reason or another, but I don't believe that applicants are deliberately placed at any particular point in the running order because of their perceived strength at the game (see this post on the subject).

Sometimes applicants are offered a recording date immediately after their audition. Other times, applicants don't hear back for ages. It might seem like most of the people in the latter category are apterous players, but that's probably because most of the stories we hear about the application experience are from people on this forum, and a lot of the people on this forum play on apterous.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

Filming on the 29th July!
John Vivian

Post by John Vivian »

Will be filming on 20th August. Paul - I assume this means we'll be avoiding each other.
Paul Worsley
Enthusiast

Post by Paul Worsley »

John Vivian wrote:Will be filming on 20th August. Paul - I assume this means we'll be avoiding each other.
I would say so, unless I win 28 games in a row. Maybe see you in the finals, John!
Julia Hayward

Post by Julia Hayward »

Just back from filming. They did say that there's big blocks of time over the summer where Nick is required for The Apprentice, so don't assume there are many (or even any) other filmings between 29th July and 20th August!
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

They are recording on the 30th July, and 18th and 19th August, but apart from those 2 weeks, that's all until 15th September.

(Source: Just got recording dates from audience coordinator :P )
Dan McColm
Series 71 Champion

Post by Dan McColm »

3rd episode on the 19th August, broadcast date 10th October
Julia Hayward

Post by Julia Hayward »

I'm on the broadcast on Monday 11th August...
George Pryn
Acolyte

Post by George Pryn »

HI EVERYONE HOPE YOU ARE ALL WELL

broadcast date: 23rd October

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I've got an audition date tomorrow.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:I've got an audition date tomorrow.
Good luck!
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Adam Gillard wrote:
Good luck!
Passed! Feedback was immediate.

Haven't been given a filming date but "around March" is their prediction.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:
Good luck!

Nice work, Rhys. As I said after the Fulham game, I'll come and give you support, should you want it. ;) :) :D
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

James Robinson wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Adam Gillard wrote:Good luck!

Nice work, Rhys. As I said after the Fulham game, I'll come and give you support, should you want it. ;) :) :D
If it is March, I wonder if that would be Series 72 or 73? If it's 72, I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to make the recording dates for the finals if they're in April/May, should I get that far!
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:Passed! Feedback was immediate.

If it is March, I wonder if that would be Series 72 or 73? If it's 72, I'm worried that I wouldn't be able to make the recording dates for the finals if they're in April/May, should I get that far!
If it's March, I'd say it's almost guaranteed to be S72, then with the finals in April/May, as you suggest. :)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

James Robinson wrote:
Rhys Benjamin wrote:
James Robinson wrote: Nice work, Rhys. As I said after the Fulham game, I'll come and give you support, should you want it. ;) :) :D
If it's March, I'd say it's almost guaranteed to be S72, then with the finals in April/May, as you suggest. :)
Giving this some extra thought, I specified I wouldn't be around then on my application - finals filmed at end of March ad transmitted in May, cramming in COC14 in the summer?
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

When have finals for the first series in the year been in the past? I'm also hopefully in the next series (passed audition in August, but no date yet), and potentially away for half of May. (Again, checking in case things go well)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Thomas Cappleman wrote:When have finals for the first series in the year been in the past?
After they've happened?
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Thomas Cappleman wrote:When have finals for the first series in the year been in the past?
They all have.

:lol:
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

I just reread Corby's post and realise now he was doing the same joke. Move along.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Thomas Cappleman wrote:When have finals for the first series in the year been in the past? I'm also hopefully in the next series (passed audition in August, but no date yet), and potentially away for half of May. (Again, checking in case things go well)
Excellent work, Thomas. Will be good to see get your 2nd go. :D
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

James Robinson wrote:
Thomas Cappleman wrote:When have finals for the first series in the year been in the past? I'm also hopefully in the next series (passed audition in August, but no date yet), and potentially away for half of May. (Again, checking in case things go well)
Not calling dibs on T-Cap's recap, James?
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Adam Gillard wrote:
James Robinson wrote:
Not calling dibs on T-Cap's recap, James?
That seems to be a pessimistic view on how Thomas will do, AG. ;) :P
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

Thomas, in the past finals have tended to be filmed at the beginning of May, so if it's the other half you're away for, you'll be ok :P
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Anthony Endsor wrote:
Thomas, in the past finals have tended to be filmed at the beginning of May, so if it's the other half you're away for, you'll be ok :P
Last years were filmed in early April, but there was a complete two month break in May and June while Nick was filming the Apprentice so could depend on when Lord Sugar wants to point the finger at people
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Thomas Cappleman
Series 72 Champion

Post by Thomas Cappleman »

Got a filming date now - Tuesday 3rd Feb, hopefully continuing to the next day
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Thomas Cappleman wrote:Got a filming date now - Tuesday 3rd Feb, hopefully continuing to the next day
Nice work, Thomas. ;) :) :D