An interesting Countdown observation

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Post Reply
User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:49 pm

Since I have watched Countdown, I have observed that there is no announcer on the show and the hosts do not introduce themselves. This has been true since Countdown's very first show with Richard Whiteley.

Could it possibly be because the cast and crew think the hosts are household names?

For example, by that I mean, someone does not say, "And now, here is the star of Countdown, Richarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd Whiteleeeeeeeeeeeey!"

Or could it be because they have wanted to make the show have a reserved atmosphere from the start?

I'm not positively sure about this, but I think Countdown is the first UK gameshow I have seen without an announcer.

This is just an observation I made. What does everyone think about that?

Ralph Gillions
Devotee
Posts: 557
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:53 pm
Location: South Yorkshire

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Ralph Gillions » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:12 pm

That is indeed an interesting observation.
I have watched Countdown since it started, and it is something that has not registered with me.
The presenter and Carol are often referred to by their Christian names throughout the programme, but, as you say, they are not officially introduced. When introducing the guest Carol often introduces Susie Dent at the same time.
And all are named on the end credits of course.
I wouldn`t not want the silly (American?)- style introductions where the name is shouted on a long upward inflection.

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:27 pm

That is quite interesting.

Yes, I've seen full episodes of "Countdown," and Carol always says something like, "Sitting next to Susie Dent is the great..."

I also didn't know that a game show host being introduced with an upward inflection is strictly an American practice.

User avatar
Ben Wilson
Legend
Posts: 3807
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:05 pm
Location: North Hykeham

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Ben Wilson » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:43 pm

The only British one that immediately springs to mind is Bullseye, but even that's sort-of grunted out by Tony Green- "And here's your host, Jim Booowen!"

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:45 pm

If Peter Dickson talked just a little bit louder, he'd have that introduction down without a problem.

Jennifer Turner
Acolyte
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: East Hell

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jennifer Turner » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:01 pm

Jason Larsen wrote:Since I have watched Countdown, I have observed that there is no announcer on the show and the hosts do not introduce themselves. This has been true since Countdown's very first show with Richard Whiteley.
But until fairly recently (by which I mean about 1998) the names did come up on screen. It still looks wrong not to have a caption with the host's name on it at the start. I can't think of any good reason why they stopped doing that; it's probably just sheer laziness that they can't be bothered anymore.
I'm not positively sure about this, but I think Countdown is the first UK gameshow I have seen without an announcer.
If you're including quiz shows then "Mastermind" has never had an announcer, and it's been going since 1972. I suspect there are quite a few quiz shows that have just had a presenter with a name caption.

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:09 pm

Oh, so they thought Richard Whiteley was a household name.

As for John Humphries, I don't know.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9377
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:03 pm

Jennifer Turner wrote:It still looks wrong not to have a caption with the host's name on it at the start. I can't think of any good reason why they stopped doing that; it's probably just sheer laziness that they can't be bothered anymore.
Haha. Do you have some kind of personality disorder or are you just really dumb?

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:05 pm

I thought she meant it was the other way around.

Jennifer Turner
Acolyte
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: East Hell

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jennifer Turner » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:54 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jennifer Turner wrote:It still looks wrong not to have a caption with the host's name on it at the start. I can't think of any good reason why they stopped doing that; it's probably just sheer laziness that they can't be bothered anymore.
Haha. Do you have some kind of personality disorder or are you just really dumb?
That's a bafflingly belligerent response. Would it aid your comprehension if I were to restate what I was saying in bullet points?

1. They used to put the host's name up on a caption at the start of the show.
2. They don't do that anymore.
3. There seems to be no good reason why they don't do that anymore, other than that they just can't be arsed.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9377
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:05 pm

Jennifer Turner wrote:3. There seems to be no good reason why they don't do that anymore, other than that they just can't be arsed.
So they can be arsed to make a 38 minute TV show, but not to put the host's name over the top of the introduction - is that really the most likely explanation you can devise? I think that's equivalent to my earlier question.

I'm sure you have something more useful to contribute than this totally vacuous criticism of some people you don't know doing something you don't understand.

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:22 pm

So, in this day and age, I know what they were thinking.

They were thinking, "Des O'Connor? Yes. We know him. Everyone knows him. Let's hire him to be the new host of Countdown."

And the show doesn't need an announcer, because a very cheery, "Good afternoon, Countdowners everywhere" from him tells us that yes, he is in our presence when we watch Countdown either online or offline.

Des O'Connor needs no introduction.

Dinos Sfyris
Fanatic
Posts: 2704
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:07 am
Location: Sheffield

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Dinos Sfyris » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:52 pm

Jason Larsen wrote:Since I have watched Countdown, I have observed that there is no announcer on the show and the hosts do not introduce themselves. This has been true since Countdown's very first show with Richard Whiteley.

Could it possibly be because the cast and crew think the hosts are household names?

For example, by that I mean, someone does not say, "And now, here is the star of Countdown, Richarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrd Whiteleeeeeeeeeeeey!"

Or could it be because they have wanted to make the show have a reserved atmosphere from the start?

I'm not positively sure about this, but I think Countdown is the first UK gameshow I have seen without an announcer.

This is just an observation I made. What does everyone think about that?
Maybe its because its a daytime TV programme? If you think about it shows like Countdown, Brainteaser, Weakest Link, Eggheads etc never do the big host-introduction voice you're talking about whereas evening game shows (Saturday Night Takeaway, Family Fortunes, Blind Date, Catchphrase) all have/had booming announcers, maybe to give it a sense of prime time grandeur. Perhaps its because these shows have/had big studio audiences and thats the best way to get a large number of people excited. On Countdown this would be a bit OTT and unneccessary as there's only about 100 people there.

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:01 pm

Of course, I think the cast and crew made a great decision in hiring Des O'Connor to replace Des Lynam, and again, yes, Des O'Connor needs no introduction.

By the way, I would like to send some credit out to Damian if he's around here. Damian, would you please tell Des that a fan in me says hello? Also, don't tell him it's me or give out any personal information about me. Regardless, I'm sure he'd be happy to hear that.

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7918
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jon Corby » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:25 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:I'm sure you have something more useful to contribute than this totally vacuous criticism of some people you don't know doing something you don't understand.
Classic Reams ownage. Love it :D

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:26 pm

I am not at fault for anything.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9377
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Charlie Reams » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:32 pm

Jason Larsen wrote:I am not at fault for anything.
Jason, what is this in response to?

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:38 pm

Oh, I thought you were talking about me in your last reply to that thread. If not, I sincerely apologize, sir.

Jennifer Turner
Acolyte
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: East Hell

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jennifer Turner » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:43 pm

Charlie Reams wrote:
Jennifer Turner wrote:3. There seems to be no good reason why they don't do that anymore, other than that they just can't be arsed.
So they can be arsed to make a 38 minute TV show, but not to put the host's name over the top of the introduction - is that really the most likely explanation you can devise? I think that's equivalent to my earlier question.
It's only a matter of putting a caption up for a few seconds, it's a small thing that doesn't matter enormously but is better done than not done. And no, there doesn't seem to be any very good reason for cutting that corner.
I'm sure you have something more useful to contribute than this totally vacuous criticism of some people you don't know doing something you don't understand.
You seem to be struggling with proportion here. And in any case, your defence of some people you don't know doing something you don't understand, is at best no less vacuous than my criticism of same, so to attack me on those grounds doesn't really make any sense.

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7918
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jon Corby » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:47 pm

Image

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:58 pm

I'm not sure what's gotten into everybody today.

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9377
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Charlie Reams » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:27 am

Jason, please read the quoted material to get some context. Example follows.
Jennifer Turner wrote:It's only a matter of putting a caption up for a few seconds, it's a small thing that doesn't matter enormously but is better done than not done. And no, there doesn't seem to be any very good reason for cutting that corner.
Because doing things in post-production costs money and everyone in the world knows who Des O'Connor is anyway? I don't know if that's the reason. But it easily could be, and your lack of imagination does not imply laziness on the part of the production team.

My real point was that in your illustrious 7-post history, you've done nothing but whinge or express your uninteresting personal issues with Carol Vorderman. Other members may inform you that this forum is a lot more fun if you post something positive, original or constructive. Once you establish yourself as a useful member then people might want to hear whatever criticisms you have to level. This is a community of real people, not Yet Another Internet Whine-Fest.
is at best no less vacuous than my criticism of same
I'm afraid my head exploded during this sentence, but please imagine your own witty riposte here.

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:31 am

I really wasn't expecting this thread to derail, Charlie.

If you would like to talk to me more about this, please talk to me privately.

Thank you.

David Roe
Enthusiast
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:58 pm

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by David Roe » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:41 am

Hello, Jennifer. Welcome to the forum.

Sorry about the fairly unpleasant welcome you've received - maybe someone's had a bad day. We aren't all like that - at least I hope not. The "ignore" button isn't that difficult to find, if needed - click on someone's name and select "foe". (Which seems a bit melodramatic, but there you are.)

User avatar
Damian E
Enthusiast
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:51 am

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Damian E » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:25 am

Hi Folks,

Am happy to try and answer this in the hope it'll satisfy.

We USED to put captions up, many moons ago, but it became old hat. I don't watch that much tv, but it don't recall seeing captioning on any other shows. I know there aren't any for Gary Lineker on Match Of The Day, there's none for Noel Edmonds on DOND, there's none for the judges on X Factor, there's none anywhere.

The absence of captioning has nothing to do with laziness or 'not being arsed'. If there was a 'not being arsed' attitude among the Countdown team, i for one wouldnt be posting this reply. The production team on the show work their socks off, believe me. Try as some might to look for negative reasons, but i'm afraid the simple reason we don't have captions is because they suck and are completely unnecessary. To say it's 'cutting corners' is the most absurd, preposterous, nonsensical garbage i've ever heard in my entire life - so congratulations to Jennifer for that one, it'll take some beating i can assure you.

Bear in mind, people like Alan Hansen, Lulu, Gordon Ramsay, The Spice Girls and many others, all appear in TV Commercials without the need for formal identification, because there comes a point where to actually put their names up is almost derogatory.

I suppose in a way, if the only thing some people can find to complain about is lack of captions, pluralised teatime teasers or too many okey-dokes, then there can't really be all that much wrong. :lol: Keep 'em coming. :D

User avatar
Charlie Reams
Site Admin
Posts: 9377
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:33 pm
Location: Cambridge
Contact:

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Charlie Reams » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:49 am

David Roe wrote:Sorry about the fairly unpleasant welcome you've received - maybe someone's had a bad day.
Oh no, I like pointing out bad logic every day.

User avatar
Damian E
Enthusiast
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:51 am

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Damian E » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:54 am

Oh no, I like pointing out bad logic every day.


Imagine what it'll be like when you're old and cantankerous. :o

User avatar
Jon Corby
Moral Hero
Posts: 7918
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:36 am

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jon Corby » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:33 pm

David loves Jennifer, David loves Jennifer.

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:33 pm

I know we're not all that bad of people.

And Damian, it's nice to hear from you and thank you for getting this thread back on track.

How is Des doing?

User avatar
Damian E
Enthusiast
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:51 am

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Damian E » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:47 pm

He's fine, Jason.

He's in the middle of recording his new Xmas song for next year, called the Okey-Dokey-Cokey.

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:50 pm

He's still shining. I love people who work for as long as he haqs.

Remember, if you get a minute, tell him, "A fan says hello," (and don't tell him it's me.)

User avatar
Karen Pearson
Devotee
Posts: 742
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:28 am
Location: Bromsgrove

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Karen Pearson » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:35 am

Damian E wrote:
He's in the middle of recording his new Xmas song for next year, called the Okey-Dokey-Cokey.
Gets my vote for the funniest post on the forum.

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:48 pm

I have a feeling that's true.

Who else would write a song with a title as silly as, "I Pretend?"

Jennifer Turner
Acolyte
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: East Hell

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jennifer Turner » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:06 pm

Jason Larsen wrote:Who else would write a song with a title as silly as, "I Pretend?"
Les Reed and Barry Mason?

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:19 pm

I'm not sure who they are, and I'm not sure if you're even old enough to remember "I Pretend."

Jennifer Turner
Acolyte
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:56 pm
Location: East Hell

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jennifer Turner » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:10 pm

They're the fellows who wrote "I Pretend". The Des O'Connor hit "I Pretend". They also wrote "Delilah" for Tom Jones and "The Last Waltz" for Engelbert Humperdinck.

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:48 am

Now, those are songs I remember.

It's a shame that Des hasn't been here since 1958.

User avatar
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:49 pm
Location: Scarborough
Contact:

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Harry Whitehouse » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:19 pm

Damian E wrote:Hi Folks,

Bear in mind, people like Alan Hansen, Lulu, Gordon Ramsay, The Spice Girls and many others, all appear in TV Commercials without the need for formal identification, because there comes a point where to actually put their names up is almost derogatory.
I think the "personality" advertisements are much more entertaining when the producers aren't really sure the characters will be familiar.

So they have to spend three or four seconds of valuable airtime for someone to whisper: "It's William Shatner!"
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.

User avatar
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General
Posts: 3902
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:18 pm
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: An interesting Countdown observation

Post by Jason Larsen » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:35 pm

We know Des O'Connor.

Why?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests