Countdown with The Times next week

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Countdown with The Times next week

Post by Howard Somerset »

I've just seen that a Countdown PC game is going to be available free with The Times next week.

I'm not sure what form it's going to be in, nor how people are going to get it.

Today's paper includes a CD-ROM Monopoly game, and tomorrow's Sunday Times will include Scrabble. There's a comment inside saying complete your collection with five more games free when you buy The Times next week. There has never been any mechanism for including CDs within non-weekend papers, and I doubt the paper is going to change that habit. Possibly there'll be tokens to send off, or maybe it'll be necessary to buy the paper at a certain store, and pick up the game then; they have done that in the past.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Countdown with The Times next week

Post by Charlie Reams »

I offer good odds that they use the wrong dictionary.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

Do you know on what specific day the countdown PC game is going to be in Howard? The Times is too high up the socio-economic scale for me :D and I usually buy The sun or The Daily Star!
Stewart Scott
Rookie

Post by Stewart Scott »

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 452955.ece

By the looks of it, and the miniscule picture on the website, it's the DVD game they're giving away.
JasonCullen
Devotee

Post by JasonCullen »

yes your right stewart it does look like it is the DVD game which I got 2 christmases ago! I wont bother buying it on Tuesday now then!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Thanks for the link, Stewart. The paper itself suggested it would be Wednesday, as it was third in the list of offerings for next week. But the link says Tuesday.

My two guesses for the way one gets the CD ROM both seem to be correct. Either buy the paper at WHS (no good for me as I have it delivered) or send in the tokens, which I may well do, along with the other four at the end of the week.
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

They gave away the 2005 edition of the Scrabble program on Sunday, and I was intending to use it finally to get to grips with Scrabble. Unfortunately, the board of tiles is half way off the screen, which makes life rather difficult. Well impossible, actually.
Harry Whitehouse
Rookie

Post by Harry Whitehouse »

jasoncullen wrote:Do you know on what specific day the countdown PC game is going to be in Howard? The Times is too high up the socio-economic scale for me :D and I usually buy The sun or The Daily Star!
Leaving aside the socio side of this problem for the time being, there's no need for it to be out of economic reach.

Take up one of the subscription offers, which tend to start at £2 a week nowadays. That means, in substance, that you're paying for the Sunday paper and getting the rest free.

Towards the end of the year, they will invite you to renew your subscription, but the rate will have risen.

At this point, you switch to the Daily Telegraph's £2 a week subscription. The Times will keep nagging you for a couple of months, but eventually, the rate will come down again, and you can switch back for the next year (when the Telegraph will have gone up). And so on.

My only regrets are that I have to read the DT for a year at a time, and that The Guardian and the Independent don't seem to do similar offers.

Actually, if you're really hard up, the answer is to nip into a hotel (Hilton/Holiday Inn/Marriott standard in cities) and help yourself to one of the free Independents that are always dumped there for some reason.
My home is on the south side,
High up on a ridge,
Just a half a mile from
The Scarborough Valley bridge.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

The offer is certainly in today's paper, but the the claim last Saturday that it would be free is a little misleading.

Certainly, if I was prepared to walk 10 miles to the nearest WHSmiths and then back, then I could get it for nothing.

The alternatives are
1. Drive to the nearest WHS, then pay £1 parking, and pick up the DVD.
2. Travel by local transport, which by now would probably take the rest of the day.
3. Buy the paper on each of Monday to Friday this week, and send in a token from each paper, together with £1.99.
4. Send just one token, together with £6.99

I'll probably go for option 3, so long as yesterday's paper hasn't yet been thrown out.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Let us know if its any good - or if, as Stewart suggested, they're trying to make a quick buck off the old DVD, which wasnt very good. When I played mine it froze all the time, and I kept getting repeat selections. Almost as bad as the Deal or No deal one. Anyone else experienced any truly shit cobbled-together-for-Xmas DVD games?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

My guess is that it's an old one, and probably not worth going out of the way to get hold of. The publicity for it shows a picture of Des Lynam on the cover.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

It's the old game from 2 years ago that plays in a normal DVD machine at home.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Thanks, Damien. I didn't get the DVD game two years ago, so will probably go for this one to see what it's like.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

it's poo
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Michael Wallace wrote:it's poo
Its not as good as that.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Damian, you seem to have accidentally missed my plea for a new Countdown shirt on the "goody bag" thread :D
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

The only problem I found with the DVD was the way the Conundrum was set up, other than that I thought it was good.

I remember one round offered FISHCAKE as the maximum word, but there was also a T in the selection IIRC, so I think you could've had SHITFACE too :lol:.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Joseph Bolas wrote:The only problem I found with the DVD was the way the Conundrum was set up, other than that I thought it was good.

I remember one round offered FISHCAKE as the maximum word, but there was also a T in the selection IIRC, so I think you could've had SHITFACE too :lol:.
I had that exact round at my audition. :) The only round I can remember, actually.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Corby wrote:Damian, you seem to have accidentally missed my plea for a new Countdown shirt on the "goody bag" thread :D

Didn't read it Jon - i only nip in and out of here for 5 mins at a time, so don't read every message, in fact i read about 10% of them at the most.

You can collect your new t-shirt at the C of C recordings. :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Damian E wrote:Didn't read it Jon - i only nip in and out of here for 5 mins at a time, so don't read every message, in fact i read about 10% of them at the most.
You really should make time to at least read all my messages. You're missing out on some absolute gold :)
Damian E wrote:You can collect your new t-shirt at the C of C recordings. :)
Bah, I can't wait that long!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Ben Wilson wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:The only problem I found with the DVD was the way the Conundrum was set up, other than that I thought it was good.

I had that exact round at my audition. :) The only round I can remember, actually.
I remember in my audition, I had a round with the 9-letter word APERTURES, but I only came up with TREASURE. I remember my 3 conundrums too - PULMONARY, SUFFOCATE :x and ENERGETIC.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I remember in my audition, I had a round with the 9-letter word APERTURES, but I only came up with TREASURE. I remember my 3 conundrums too - PULMONARY, SUFFOCATE :x and ENERGETIC.
ENERGETIC was in my 1st audition but I only got INTEGER. Wasn't SUFFOCATE our crucial conundrum at COLIN Jo Bo? Think the scramble was TOFUCAFES. I felt bad that Nick asked me to answer cause I thought you buzzed first :cry:
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:ENERGETIC was in my 1st audition but I only got INTEGER.
Not ERECTING?

My audition conundrums were BLUEPRINT, TAXIDERMY and something easy which I can't remember.

Edit: I've just remembered, the third one was CONFUSION.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

dinos_the_chemist wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I remember in my audition, I had a round with the 9-letter word APERTURES, but I only came up with TREASURE. I remember my 3 conundrums too - PULMONARY, SUFFOCATE :x and ENERGETIC.
ENERGETIC was in my 1st audition but I only got INTEGER. Wasn't SUFFOCATE our crucial conundrum at COLIN Jo Bo? Think the scramble was TOFUCAFES. I felt bad that Nick asked me to answer cause I thought you buzzed first :cry:
When I saw the conundrum, I immediately thought of ERECTING, but then thought as its an audition conundrum, it wouldn't have ended in ING so then clicked and got ENERGETIC (besides ERECTING is only 8 letters :D).

SUFFOCATE was indeed our curcial conundrum for COLIN. The jumble was TOFUCAFES, but the jumble FATEFOCUS is more commonly used for SUFFOCATE in my opinion. It was a close call indeed, but I don't know if I was first, you may have just pipped me :(. I enjoyed the game immensely though and I look forward to my next CO-event game against you :D.

EDIT: I am sorting out my stuff and I have come across my Audition from my 21st birthday - 5th June 2003, so might post the rounds.