Series 60 finals

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Re: Series 60 finals

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ralph Gillions wrote:Much as I love Countdown and am greatly looking forward to these finals, my anticipation has now been overtaken by the sleeping arrangements of contestants and supporters.
I hope later, to see a complete run-down detailing who slept with who, coupled with any added titillating details.
I thank you.
Ralph
Perhaps we could do this like Cluedo. My first guess is Kirk, in Phil's room, with the banana.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Ralph Gillions wrote:I hope later, to see a complete run-down detailing who slept with who, coupled with any added titillating details.
Depending on how it goes, on April 23rd I might be posting "Me + Charlie" in the Item Requests thread.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Ralph Gillions wrote:I hope later, to see a complete run-down detailing who slept with who, coupled with any added titillating details.
Depending on how it goes, on April 23rd I might be posting "Me + Charlie" in the Item Requests thread.
Haha. The apterous inventory system would be an awesome marriage proposal vector. Roll on Valentine's 2010.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Charlie Reams wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:
Haha. The apterous inventory system would be an awesome marriage proposal vector. Roll on Valentine's 2010.
So you could make it that the person you want to propose to only gets popped the question if they max a game?
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Barring some late mishap, there will be a ginger, a raccoon, and a micra man in attendance for all shows on Weds. Gonna be a long day but will be well worth it. Good luck to anyone involved in the first two QF games tomorrow.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Looking forward to seeing everyone who's going to Leeds tomorrow. I'll be the one wearing the white carnation and the password will be "gandiseeg". I can almost taste the Box Pizza already...
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Mike Brown wrote:Looking forward to seeing everyone who's going to Leeds tomorrow. I'll be the one wearing the white carnation and the password will be "gandiseeg". I can almost taste the Box Pizza already...
I won't be there 'til Wednesday - save some pizza for me!
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Good luck in the quarter finals later today, Kirk and Neil. :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I won't be there 'til Wednesday - save some pizza for me!
Given the size they are, that probably won't be a problem!
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Best wishes to everyone attending the Finals and good luck to Kirk and Neil.

I wish I could be there with you.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Yeah, best of luck to all taking part. Do yourselves proud but most of all enjoy it!

Have fun everyone going to watch too.

:(

:cry:
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

The postman has just been and I've now got my ticket for the final on Wednesday (my utmost thanks go to Marvellous Matt Morrison!!).

I've managed to arrange child minding and so I've got licence to go for several drinks afterwards. Does the invite to the party also apply to former contestants?

Looking forward to seeing everybody there.
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Good luck to everyone competing. And for all attending, players and spectators, have a really great time. I look forward to seeing the outcome in June.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I should be getting into Leeds station tomorrow just after 25 to 1. As this is ages until the recordings, is anyone else getting in around that time able to meet up or anything? (Yes, this is also me begging a lift).
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Good luck to everyone taking part.
I hope you all enjoy yourselves.
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Debbi Flack wrote:Good luck to everyone taking part.
Ditto. Wish I was there :(
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

Have fun.
And don't forget to inform us about the eventual sleeping arrangements.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Dinos Sfyris wrote:
I thought you were going to try and get tickets. Were there none left?

You also said that even if you couldn't get a ticket you'd be joining us for Box Pizza. Is that still the case?
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Phil Reynolds wrote:
Dinos Sfyris wrote:
I thought you were going to try and get tickets. Were there none left?

You also said that even if you couldn't get a ticket you'd be joining us for Box Pizza. Is that still the case?
No couldn't get any tickets :( I would've come for the Box Pizza but I've since been put down to work Wednesday night :( :( Oh well if all the finalists and c4cers end up collectively playing Apterous and slaughtering the opposition in the hotel bar tonight send us a challenge won't ya? :)
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Should be an interesting last day, wonder if someone will actually figure out where the Richard Whiteley trophy is...

Will have to take some photos this time anyways.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

The trophy has been in our office - haven't ever misplaced it. Not sure what you mean.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Kai Laddiman wrote:This is my excuse for not going. :cry:
I WON!! :D

Was totally unexpected, we won by a clear 30 points. See you at the final, Ollie! ;)

:shock: :o :shock: :o
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Kai Laddiman wrote:

Was totally unexpected, we won by a clear 30 points. See you at the final, Ollie! ;)

We got 219 points, winning by 17. What about you?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Oliver Garner wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:

Hm, well, um, we got 170. Hope it isn't seeded.

BTW do you know the date of the final?
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Well done both of you. Best of luck in the final.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

D Eadie wrote:The trophy has been in our office - haven't ever misplaced it. Not sure what you mean.
Well everyone asked about the trophy didn't have a clue where it was.

Anyway I presume it'll be on display in Manchester?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Oliver Garner wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:

Congratulations, Kai and Oliver. :)
Hope you both do well in the finals.

Just got back from Countdown finals. Awesome fun, and some brilliant playing by the contestants. Don't worry, no spoilers! :D
Got a few sneaky photos too as it was the final game in Leeds, and yes, they did play 'The Final Countdown' as we took our seats in the audience. 8-)
Thanks to everyone I met for making the day so memorable, especially for letting me sneak into the do after. 8-) 8-) :)
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Julie T wrote:and yes, they did play 'The Final Countdown' as we took our seats in the audience. 8-)
Damn, I wish I could have gone just for that - that's got to be the greatest guilty pleasure song ever!
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Craig Beevers wrote:
D Eadie wrote:The trophy has been in our office - haven't ever misplaced it. Not sure what you mean.

Ah, you must have been asking the wrong people then. Won't be on display in Manchester, it always stays in the office in Leeds.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

D Eadie wrote:
Craig Beevers wrote:

Ah, you must have been asking the wrong people then. Won't be on display in Manchester, it always stays in the office in Leeds.
So apart from when someone wants to comb their hair in a novelty shaped mirror and being used as an occasional prop it doesn't seem to be put to much use. That's a shame really.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

As a first-timer at a Countdown recording, I had a great time on Wednesday for so many reasons: being in the studio and seeing how everything's done (it's the little things that fascinate me - e.g. when you see the conundrum reveal on screen, did you realise that everything outside the two letter-box shapes containing the conundrum and scramble is not part of the display board in the studio, but is an electronically generated mask? No, neither did I); seeing some terrific, nail-biting Countdown play; being thoroughly entertained by consistently the best regular DC guest of recent years; meeting a whole bunch of forumites; and being made to feel very welcome by Damian, Kate and the rest of the team. I will long cherish the memory of Damian's words on meeting me face-to-face for the first time: "Oh hi Phil - didn't recognise you without the beard. Nice one. Makes you look less of a twat."

A few of the photos I took are here - rest assured there are no spoilers unless you'd rather not know who the DC guest is for the finals, in which case avoid pics 2, 7 and 11.

I'd like to pay special tribute to Kirk Bevins and Neil Zussman for having the good manners to look exactly like they do on TV. Charlie confused me only slightly by being clean-shaven and, um, not quite as tall as I'd imagined. No gold stars whatever, though, to Michael Wallace for looking as far from my mental picture of him as it's possible to get; and to Jono for not looking remotely like any photo or YouTube clip of him I've ever seen. In fact, I'm still only half-convinced that the person I met claiming to be Jono was in fact him.

There are numerous lurid tales already in circulation about the Thai meal and those members of C4C who slept rough afterwards, but you will have to hear those from the people involved; I was one of the separate party who decamped to Box Pizza, and was safely tucked up in bed with a good book by 11pm. But the various slumbering bodies strewn around the hotel lobby yesterday morning when I came down to breakfast told their own story.

Great experience - top people. Wouldn't have missed it for anything.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Wow excellent photos Phil. I especially love the captions to 6, 8 and 10! :lol:

Glad you enjoyed the experience :)
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Craig Beevers wrote: So apart from when someone wants to comb their hair in a novelty shaped mirror and being used as an occasional prop it doesn't seem to be put to much use. That's a shame really.
The idea was, it was going to be displayed at ITV Yorkshire in the reception area, along with numeruos Bafta awards and other TV stuff, but when the reception area was rebuilt and modernised, the glass cabinets were removed, so we've nowhere to put it.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I will long cherish the memory of Damian's words on meeting me face-to-face for the first time: "Oh hi Phil - didn't recognise you without the beard. Nice one. Makes you look less of a twat."
:mrgreen: Top-drawer ice breaker Phil, you must admit.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

D Eadie wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:I will long cherish the memory of Damian's words on meeting me face-to-face for the first time: "Oh hi Phil - didn't recognise you without the beard. Nice one. Makes you look less of a twat."
:mrgreen: Top-drawer ice breaker Phil, you must admit.
Worked for me!
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

I had a great day :D. Jeff and Rachel were fantastic, really down to earth, I couldn't imagine having had a similar night if Carol was still on the go. Good to meet the guys from the forum too. Phil and Michael were as personable as I'd imagined, and Charlie was as witty as I feared (top guy though). Had a nice chat with some of the finalists too. I realise my retrospective is a bit short but I got pissed beyond words and I'm still slightly hung over two days on. Thanks for the booze and the dinner, Damian :D and thank you Julie for the ticket :).
At least, that's what he was going to say before he noticed my own beard ;). I really should've shaved that thing off before I came.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Will sort some of my photos out later, if there's going to be a private sub-forummy bit somewhere I'll put a few more there.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Great pics and great captions Phil
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

It must be weird going to watch the finals on the occasions where there is an octochamp or other high seed late in the series, as you end up watching somebody you've not even seen yet competing against all your favourites.
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Brilliant photos, Phil, even if the caption of the one with me in is a bit naughty!
'Prozac', as if. Natural highs from being amongst such esteemed company. :)

Do feel a bit weird, though, when away from my kids for a whole day, as it's rather unusual. So apologies to all those whose names I got wrong, even though I'd met them at CoLin 2009, and for any other social gaffes - I don't get much practice.

All my photos seem to give spoilers as to who the finalists are, or the DC guest, so if we're not letting on yet, I'd better not post them.

No wonder you didn't need a lift back to Sheffield after the do, Ben, as you were off to Damian's dinner. Just as well, since I enjoyed a box pizza with Phil, Jono, Dan and others, and still didn't get back to Hertfordshire till gone 1am. Dirty stop out, that I am. :mrgreen:

Glad you young ones had more staying power, it seems. 8-)
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Phil Reynolds wrote:No gold stars whatever, though, to Michael Wallace for looking as far from my mental picture of him as it's possible to get
So come on, who else thought I was actually going to turn out to look like a raccoon?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:No gold stars whatever, though, to Michael Wallace for looking as far from my mental picture of him as it's possible to get
So come on, who else thought I was actually going to turn out to look like a raccoon?
:oops:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote:
In fairness, you totally do.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Charlie Reams wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Says the guy who thought my t-shirt looked like "a hairy man".
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Michael Wallace wrote: Says the guy who thought my t-shirt looked like "a hairy man".
The evidence is mounting that I don't actually know what raccoons look like...
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Julie T wrote:Brilliant photos, Phil, even if the caption of the one with me in is a bit naughty!
'Prozac', as if. Natural highs from being amongst such esteemed company. :)
If you think that's naughty, I originally wrote 'lithium' and then thought better of it.

I must say I fully expect to feel thoroughly diminished if/when Craig Beevers shares his photos, as I don't mind admitting he has much more impressive equipment than I do.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Was I the only one to be genuinely disappointed that Junaid hadn't brought the promised Bevatron balloons?
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Thanks for sharing the photos Phil - A tasty hors d'oeuvre for what we have to look forward to.

It looks like it was great fun all round and I can't wait for June to come around.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Says the guy who thought my t-shirt looked like "a hairy man".
I thought I'd seen that T-shirt somewhere. I get all my best tees from woot :).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Ben Hunter wrote:I thought I'd seen that T-shirt somewhere. I get all my best tees from woot :).
Woot is awesome, I spend too much money there. Do you ever enter (or just watch) the derbies? I've entered a few (well, 3) times, but the best I've managed so far is an 8th and a 10th.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

Belated thanks to all involved, as I had another great day out & thoroughly enjoyed all the games and conversations with various forum members. It'd be nice if Countdown could return to Leeds in the future, but for now I wish everyone involved in Manchester's Series (6)1 a success.
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Was I the only one to be genuinely disappointed that Junaid hadn't brought the promised Bevatron balloons?
WHAT????
He DIDN'T?????
Eoin Monaghan
Kiloposter

Post by Eoin Monaghan »

Oliver Garner wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Was I the only one to be genuinely disappointed that Junaid hadn't brought the promised Bevatron balloons?
WHAT????
He DIDN'T?????
spoiler?
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

Here's some spoiler free series 60 finals pictures, most of them are very generic. Click on the small pictures for the full size version as per usual.

http://craigbeevers.me.uk/cdpics.html
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Craig Beevers wrote:Here's some spoiler free series 60 finals pictures
Haha, love the shot of Rachel ogling Jay Yardley's pert little bum.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I've collected various photos, some taken by me and some not, at:-

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 7cc296dbd8

Nothing spoilery as long as you've seen recent shows.
Philip Jarvis
Enthusiast

Post by Philip Jarvis »

Charlie Reams wrote:I've collected various photos, some taken by me and some not, at:-

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 7cc296dbd8

Nothing spoilery as long as you've seen recent shows.
I like the one of Dudley. Shame about the guy with the bald head in the audience!
"It's KNACKERED Nick!"
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Craig Beevers wrote:Here's some spoiler free series 60 finals pictures, most of them are very generic. Click on the small pictures for the full size version as per usual.

http://craigbeevers.me.uk/cdpics.html
Your first two links, "Birds" and "Young 'uns", are highly disappointing.

(Nice pictures btw)
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Kai Laddiman wrote:

We came 8th and Kai's school either came 24th or 34th, I can't remember (out of 70 schools)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Oliver Garner wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:

We came 8th and Kai's school either came 24th or 34th, I can't remember (out of 70 schools)
What a load of rubbish :|

(34th, btw)

Yeh, it was great, and we sucked, but it was the first time our school had been there, so totally new experience.

Proud :D