Save Our Studios

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Kate Horton
Rookie

Save Our Studios

Post by Kate Horton »

Please help us save our Studios in Leeds by putting your name to this petition before the 6th June:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/SaveYTV/

Thank you on behalf of The Countdown Team and everyone who works in the TV industry in Yorkshire.
Kate x
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Re: Save Our Studios

Post by Jon Corby »

Done.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Likewise.
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Me too.
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Done, and I'll ask my adult kids to sign it too.

Did you do a typo, Naomi, or is it a coincidence that there's a 'Nicola Addyman' on the signatures? :?
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

Thank you everyone! We really do appreciate your support. xxx
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Done. Hope it makes a difference.
Allan Harmer
Enthusiast

Post by Allan Harmer »

Done! I wil lget the family to respond when they get home too.

Best wishes Kate.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

I did it just after Corby, just didn't realise we had to come and show off about it here ;)
Hehe, good luck though Kate!
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I remember persuading my MP to sign the Early Day Motion to have Countdown restored to its 4:30 slot. (To be honest, she said she would, but she didn't.) Still waiting.
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

[quote="Matt Morrison"]I did it just after Corby, just didn't realise we had to come and show off about it here ;)

:lol: Thanks for signing petition, Matt, and for making me laugh!!
George Jenkins
Enthusiast

Post by George Jenkins »

-Done, and if the money grubbers take notice of this petition, it will be a first. I've got me smelling salts ready if they do.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Done, and posted a link to it in my MySpace, facebook and bebo profiles too. *fingers crossed*
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Done. Hope it really does make a difference.
Martin Bishop
Enthusiast

Post by Martin Bishop »

Done.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Done
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Done.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote:I did it just after Corby, just didn't realise we had to come and show off about it here ;)
It keeps the topic bumped, idiot. Plus, since I was the first to post that I did it, I will conclude that anyone who subsequently signed only did so because they read my post :P
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Jon Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote:I did it just after Corby, just didn't realise we had to come and show off about it here ;)
It keeps the topic bumped, idiot. Plus, since I was the first to post that I did it, I will conclude that anyone who subsequently signed only did so because they read my post :P
*bump*
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Also done. Let's hope it makes a difference.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Saw this on Look North tonight. Let's hope it gets a bit more national coverage as well.

(Shouldn't have to say 'done' really, should I? ;))
Jimmy Gough
Devotee

Post by Jimmy Gough »

Really hope we can make a difference. Good luck :) (done).
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kai Laddiman wrote:*bump*
*bump 2*

I signed this earlier on today, but only just logged in now.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

The petition does not close for three months, during which time plans will continue apace. It is addressed to the Prime Minister, who has no power or influence over the decision, and will have no problem whatever ignoring it, as he ignores many other such petitions. It would be more useful to all hold hands and think really, really positive thoughts.

Back in the seventies people might have taken a bit of time out from being (non-swearing) racists to picket whichever studios the jobs were being transferred to, ensuring that no-one would take a co-worker's job in such circumstances. Mind you, the whole of ITV would be on strike anyway, so it would all be a bit hypothetical. But we're all Thatcher's children now, so that ain't going to happen.

Boycott anyone that advertises during the show. Write to Jeff and Rachel demanding they resign in protest. Refuse to go to auditions. Let Kirk announce he's not going anywhere but Leeds for his finals and CoC. Use this forum to do something useful. Of course that means making sacrifices, and still will almost certainly fail. But signing a worthless petition? You're just a bunch of WIBLI's.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Ben Wilson wrote:Saw this on Look North tonight. Let's hope it gets a bit more national coverage as well.

Is Lincoln far enough north to get Look North? Hmm.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Martin Gardner wrote:
Ben Wilson wrote:Saw this on Look North tonight. Let's hope it gets a bit more national coverage as well.

Is Lincoln far enough north to get Look North? Hmm.
Admittedly it was billed as the 'Yorks/Lincs' Look North but it still counts. Goes down as far as King's Lynn in fact. :)
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

David Williams wrote:The petition does not close for three months, during which time plans will continue apace. It is addressed to the Prime Minister, who has no power or influence over the decision, and will have no problem whatever ignoring it, as he ignores many other such petitions. It would be more useful to all hold hands and think really, really positive thoughts.

Back in the seventies people might have taken a bit of time out from being (non-swearing) racists to picket whichever studios the jobs were being transferred to, ensuring that no-one would take a co-worker's job in such circumstances. Mind you, the whole of ITV would be on strike anyway, so it would all be a bit hypothetical. But we're all Thatcher's children now, so that ain't going to happen.

Boycott anyone that advertises during the show. Write to Jeff and Rachel demanding they resign in protest. Refuse to go to auditions. Let Kirk announce he's not going anywhere but Leeds for his finals and CoC. Use this forum to do something useful. Of course that means making sacrifices, and still will almost certainly fail. But signing a worthless petition? You're just a bunch of WIBLI's.
You forgot "(done)" at the end.
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

What is a WIBLI?

I've never seen it on In The Night Garden.

Iggle-Piggle yes.

I have to agree with you David. It's probably a pointless exercise but done with good intention nonetheless.

Now, has anyone seen my Og Pog?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Wouldn't It Be Lovely If . . .

Nothing wrong with good intentions (apart from their use in paving the road to hell). But better if they were applied in some way that had a remote chance of achieving something, and just possibly this forum and the ingenuity of its members could come up with a few ideas.
Les Butterworth
Rookie

Post by Les Butterworth »

As said elsewhere have just got back from hectic Blues Festival too many late nights too much Guiness and my ears are ringing but signed up to the PM petitions let's hope we get a result some have had an affect.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Signed, although it only seems to want UK citizen signatures. I lied and said i'm an ex-pat. Haven't traced my family tree but with a name like 'Wilson' i must have a bit of blighty in me.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Done! Since the Government officially changed Countdown's slot in the schedule back to normal after it was placed at an inconvenient time (earlier), I don't think this could end up as good intentions- something may happen! With the amount of signatures now, I'd be surprised if this petition was overlooked.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

David's right. We need to do something that will make people realise that the change in ITC regulations that lead to the creation of a mass ITV that also tries to serve the regions was a huge mistake. Having separate regional stations that can pool together when necessary for a greater aim whilst still retaining autonomy worked perfectly well up to the early 90s. Now to do such a thing the government would have to see there's a huge groundswell of support, the best way probably being a petition.

So David's right. The best way of going forward is not to sign this completely meaningless petition, but instead to sign the petition!

Oh, wait a minute...
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Ben Wilson wrote:Admittedly it was billed as the 'Yorks/Lincs' Look North but it still counts. Goes down as far as King's Lynn in fact. :)
Indeed it does, although most of us would prefer to watch Look East & ITV Anglia!
Lee Simmonds
Acolyte

Post by Lee Simmonds »

Added my signature, hope it helps to make a difference.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I just want to make everybody aware since the word isn't spread yet, especially Damian and Lara!

I would sign the petition if I could, but I live in the US.

I don't mean to talk like I'm better than everyone else, but I felt very proud of myself for delighting Des O'Connor and impressing him because they have such international viewers as me. That will be something I will remember for the rest of my life!
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

I've signed. Incidentally, is there some sort of target figure for the amount of signatures?
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I hope not, Steven!

And you want Des Lynam, Carol, Jeff and Rachel to remember you, right?

If there is a target figure for the petition, then the only chance you might have of appearing on a game show is when you appear on Wogan's Perfect Recall!

Sadly, we don't know if that show will get renewed yet!
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

Jason Larsen wrote:I hope not, Steven!

And you want Des Lynam, Carol, Jeff and Rachel to remember you, right?

If there is a target figure for the petition, then the only chance you might have of appearing on a game show is when you appear on Wogan's Perfect Recall!

Sadly, we don't know if that show will get renewed yet!
Some of these petitions have a target (10000 for example), and I didn't see anything like this on the website. Of course, the more support the better I say.

And the application for Wogan's Perfect Recall is being completed as I speak.
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I almost feel like crying until someone reassures me that everything is going to be ok!

Meanwhile, kudos to Kate for posting this thread! That's one more reason why she is a great lady!
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

Does anyone take notice of an online petition? I'm wondering if it might be an idea for everyone to write a 'snail mail' letter, preferably on a specific date so that they all arrive at 10 Downing Street together and cause havoc with the mail delivery. I'd be very happy to do that, although I'm not sure that I'm legally allowed to receive Channel 4 programmes in Spain. Kate, let us know if there is anything else we can do.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm sorry, everyone, this post made no sense.
Last edited by Jason Larsen on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Jason Larsen wrote:Kathie, unfortunately, there is no negotiating that the ITV Yorkshire studios will close in a few months.
Jason, you and you alone can save ITV Yorkshire studios! Get your mother's credit card and buy them! It would make a lovely gift for her. And you could make it so the Countdown team are allowed to make international phone calls to you.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Gary, you are kidding! You just want to show me your sense of humor.

But, I am not kidding. Nobody minds if I make international phone calls to the Countdown team. Least of all, Kate, because she knows I'm calling for a good reason.

If you think I can actually buy the ITV Yorkshire studios, that gives me just one more reason to make me laugh because I know it's too expensive for me to live in England anyway!
Roxanne
Rookie

Post by Roxanne »

What with the economy being so fantastic, there being no wars going on, and poverty, disease, and crime all being things of the past, I can't possibly imagine that Gordon Brown would ever ignore the plight of a daytime TV show being relocated.
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

Roxanne wrote:What with the economy being so fantastic, there being no wars going on, and poverty, disease, and crime all being things of the past, I can't possibly imagine that Gordon Brown would ever ignore the plight of a daytime TV show being relocated.

It's about the entire studios in Leeds being closed down and 192 people being made redundant.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Roxanne wrote:What with the economy being so fantastic ... I can't possibly imagine that Gordon Brown would ever ignore the plight of a daytime TV show being relocated.
It's being relocated (and 192 people losing their jobs) because of the 'economy being so fantastic'.
Davy Affleck
Acolyte

Post by Davy Affleck »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Roxanne wrote:What with the economy being so fantastic ... I can't possibly imagine that Gordon Brown would ever ignore the plight of a daytime TV show being relocated.
It's being relocated (and 192 people losing their jobs) because of the 'economy being so fantastic'.
I work in the Fire Service - phrases such as "modernisation", "relocation", "improvements in service" "rationalisation", etc are bandied about by management. They invariably mean cuts.
I have signed the petition. Best of luck.
sandie simonis

Post by sandie simonis »

signed - Leeds and Countdown go together like Yorkshire and Pudding.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

sandie simonis wrote:signed - Leeds and Countdown go together like Yorkshire and Pudding.
...delicious swimming in gravy?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

Closing date was 6th June. How did it go?
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

David Williams wrote:Closing date was 6th June. How did it go?
This wasn't entirely flip. The Government website says

"Once your petition has closed, usually provided there are 500 signatures or more, it will be passed to officials who work for the Prime Minister in Downing Street, or sent to the relevant Government department for a response.

Every person who signs such a petition will receive an email detailing the Government's response to the issues raised."

With 1703 signatures the threshhold was easily met, but I assume no-one has received an email. It never occurred to me for a moment that a petition would achieve anything, but you'd think they'd have the courtesy to tell you.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

David Williams wrote:
David Williams wrote:Closing date was 6th June. How did it go?
This wasn't entirely flip. [ . . . ]With 1703 signatures the threshhold was easily met, but I assume no-one has received an email. It never occurred to me for a moment that a petition would achieve anything, but you'd think they'd have the courtesy to tell you.
I have just received my e-mailed response to this petition. They took their time, but "better late than never" and other such clichés.
The response is here: http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page20557
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, they were being honest, but it turned out things were most unfortunate.

Can one of the higher-ups prove this?