Feedback on the new Countdown

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Feedback on the new Countdown

Post by Charlie Reams »

http://blogs.channel4.com/thetvshow/200 ... countdown/

Helen Warner (Channel 4's Head of Daytime) seems almost as impressed with the new team as I am.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Re: Feedback on the new Countdown

Post by David Williams »

This would be the same Helen Warner who forced Carol out, then? So we think this was a good thing now, do we?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Williams wrote:This would be the same Helen Warner who forced Carol out, then? So we think this was a good thing now, do we?
Yes.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

The Writer: Some viewers still miss Des’s showbiz stories

I certainly miss his yodelling joke :roll:
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

"The TV Show", the programme that ties into the blog linked to in this thread, is about to start on Channel 4 if anyone is interested.

Personally, I miss a little of the interactivity between viewers and host that there used to be - the jokes, the anecdotes. That said, the new format is certainly enjoyable enough.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Loved it before, love it still! Love everyone! :D

The main difference I find between Carol and Rachel's screen time (aside from putting up the letters, numbers and solving) is that often when Carol said something it was off the cuff, but Rachel has only had the opportunity to answer or react to what Jeff puts to her, rather than initiate anything herself. But I'm sure more spur of the moment chat will come.

Also Jeff mentioned The Everly Brothers the other day, so he gets full marks for that in my book! :D
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Does anyone miss the way Deso used to focus so much on the game by doing such things as working out the points and letting the viewer know as soon as someone had got the victory? Or do people prefer to work it out for themselves, or just wait for the end and be surprised, seeing as Jeff never mentions such things?
Living life in a gyratory circus kind of way.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Derek Hazell wrote:Does anyone miss the way Deso used to focus so much on the game by doing such things as working out the points and letting the viewer know as soon as someone had got the victory? Or do people prefer to work it out for themselves, or just wait for the end and be surprised, seeing as Jeff never mentions such things?
Er, he does mention such things.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:Does anyone miss the way Deso used to focus so much on the game by doing such things as working out the points and letting the viewer know as soon as someone had got the victory? Or do people prefer to work it out for themselves, or just wait for the end and be surprised, seeing as Jeff never mentions such things?
Er, he does mention such things.
Well I have watched every Jeff Stelling episode, and I have never heard him do so. Amazingly my brain must shut off at that exact moment each episode.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Derek Hazell wrote: Well I have watched every Jeff Stelling episode, and I have never heard him do so. Amazingly my brain must shut off at that exact moment each episode.
Yep, definitely no way you could just forget something.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jeff mentions the scores from time to time during the game, which is presumably to keep visually impaired viewers (who can't read the digital score displays in front of the contestants) reminded of who's in front and by how much. I never understood why Des O felt it necessary to read out the scores after every round.
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote: Well I have watched every Jeff Stelling episode, and I have never heard him do so. Amazingly my brain must shut off at that exact moment each episode.
Yep, definitely no way you could just forget something.
Isn't Derek referring to the way DesO used to say things like "well, you're just playing for pride now" once one person's score was unassailable? Jeff does do plenty of "well there's a long way to go yet, things can change very quickly", when there's a wide margin, but I'm not aware that he admits when the game's effectively over.

Not that I care one jot about this really - Jeff's doing a very fine job (as is the whole team) ... even my mother has taken to him after initial concerns.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Jeff mentions the scores from time to time during the game, which is presumably to keep visually impaired viewers (who can't read the digital score displays in front of the contestants) reminded of who's in front and by how much. I never understood why Des O felt it necessary to read out the scores after every round.
I know that the score has been mentioned regularly by both men, and I also assumed this was for the visually impaired. This can only be a good thing, and none of us know whether we might have sight problems in the future.
Brian Moore wrote:Isn't Derek referring to the way DesO used to say things like "well, you're just playing for pride now" once one person's score was unassailable?
Yes thank you Brian, that is exactly what I was talking about. I know my post was clumsily written, but I had trouble explaining it. I was just talking about how DesO always told who the winner was as soon as he worked it out.

It's not a big issue, I was just curious that was all.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Derek Hazell wrote:
Brian Moore wrote:Isn't Derek referring to the way DesO used to say things like "well, you're just playing for pride now" once one person's score was unassailable?
Yes thank you Brian, that is exactly what I was talking about. I know my post was clumsily written, but I had trouble explaining it. I was just talking about how DesO always told who the winner was as soon as he worked it out.
Des would often say things that suggested he believed a player had a chance to win when they were more than 20 points behind with only the numbers and conundrum to go. I'm sure this has been mentioned a few times on this forum, and it's definitely something that annoyed me about Des (though I liked his general manner).
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Helen Warner is on Channel 4 now, on "The TV Show" defending her decision to get rid of Carol Vorderman. She has just had an argument with journalist Carole Malone about it, and members of the audience are now giving their views. As usual Krishnan is doing a very good job of not taking sides with his employer and asking the tough questions.

I hope some of you will have the chance to catch it on 4+1
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Derek Hazell wrote:Helen Warner is on Channel 4 now, on "The TV Show" defending her decision to get rid of Carol Vorderman. She has just had an argument with journalist Carole Malone about it, and members of the audience are now giving their views. As usual Krishnan is doing a very good job of not taking sides with his employer and asking the tough questions.

Jono was invited to be in the audience, I wonder if he went?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Charlie Reams wrote:Jono was invited to be in the audience, I wonder if he went?
I didn't see him (judging by his avatar picture), although you yourself made an appearance.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Derek Hazell wrote:As usual Krishnan is doing a very good job of not taking sides with his employer and asking the tough questions.
My impression was that he was doing a very good job of not letting anybody finish what they wanted to say unless they had no idea what they were talking about. The prat whose only complaint was Rachel's pronounciation had plenty of time for his "point", but did Helen Warner get to finish a single sentence?
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:As usual Krishnan is doing a very good job of not taking sides with his employer and asking the tough questions.
My impression was that he was doing a very good job of not letting anybody finish what they wanted to say unless they had no idea what they were talking about. The prat whose only complaint was Rachel's pronounciation had plenty of time for his "point", but did Helen Warner get to finish a single sentence?
Yes Rosemary, I suppose you're right about him interrupting too much. I must have been too busy admiring his impartiality (that's the word!) to be impartial myself.

As for that prat, he was a day too late, and obviously didn't watch the show yesterday! Makes him a double-prat (a c@&*?) by my reckoning.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Derek Hazell wrote:Yes Rosemary, I suppose you're right about him interrupting too much. I must have been too busy admiring his impartiality (that's the word!) to be impartial myself.
Surely we were not expected to believe this TV Show was live? I got a distinct impression of the attitude Phil encountered on Weakest Link: "you needn't bother to argue, because if you do win a point we will edit it out". To be fair, that is probably not a technique that Helen Warner is entirely unfamiliar with.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:
Derek Hazell wrote:Yes Rosemary, I suppose you're right about him interrupting too much. I must have been too busy admiring his impartiality (that's the word!) to be impartial myself.
Surely we were not expected to believe this TV Show was live? I got a distinct impression of the attitude Phil encountered on Weakest Link: "you needn't bother to argue, because if you do win a point we will edit it out". To be fair, that is probably not a technique that Helen Warner is entirely unfamiliar with.
They have been claiming "The TV Show" is live ever since the beginning . . . maybe if Jono (or any other forum members) did go, they can enlighten us.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Derek Hazell wrote:Helen Warner is on Channel 4 now, on "The TV Show" defending her decision to get rid of Carol Vorderman. She has just had an argument with journalist Carole Malone about it, and members of the audience are now giving their views.
Just watched this on Catch-Up. Jono didn't appear to be in the audience, although we were treated to some criticism of Rachel's pronunciation by Countdown fan "Barry", who amusingly undermined his point somewhat by being unable to pronounce the word "pronunciation".
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

What pronunciation........she doesn't do it anymore.

Bear in mind we record 3 weeks worth of shows in 3 days, so if there is something viewers don't always like, it can take up to 6 weeks on screen sometimes before we can rectify it.

We're 3 months in to a brand new team and i think they both are doing fantastically well.
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

D Eadie wrote:What pronunciation........she doesn't do it anymore.
Hence my comment above
Derek Hazell wrote:As for that prat, he was a day too late, and obviously didn't watch the show yesterday! Makes him a double-prat (a c@&*?) by my reckoning.
and my other one here http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 481#p39481 . . .
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

I wish "eachofyou" was a word. It's one of my favourite things Jeff says, and it would be a very useful 9.

If we can have "insofar" and "inasmuch" I think we should start compacting more of these into words!
Derek Hazell
Kiloposter

Post by Derek Hazell »

Derek Hazell wrote:Helen Warner is on Channel 4 now, on "The TV Show" defending her decision to get rid of Carol Vorderman. She has just had an argument with journalist Carole Malone about it, and members of the audience are now giving their views. As usual Krishnan is doing a very good job of not taking sides with his employer and asking the tough questions.

Countdown got a mention on "The TV Show" again this month. Sadly, a very tabloid-like and stereotypical mention from a supposed serious news journalist though: "On the subject of daring outfits, Channel 4's greying Countdown audience got steamed up by Rachel Riley, and her line in racy minidresses".

Maybe we should bombard the message boards with our comments, seeing as the main Countdown forum has fans with an age range of 11 to 83, and a very small percentage of our talk is about Rachel's clothing. Or actually, it's probably not worth it.

Incidently the episode from April about Carol Vorderman is strangely still available on the site, for anyone who missed it: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-tv-show/4od