Whatever became of the Supreme Champion?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Whatever became of the Supreme Champion?

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Harvey Freeman, did he ever go on any other game/quiz shows etc?

Haven't heard of him since that final.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Re: Whatever became of the Supreme Champion?

Post by JimBentley »

I'm pretty sure Countdown was the only show he was on, although he played Scrabble competitively in the late 1980s. I dimly recall that he got some sort of ridiculously well-paid job in the City, but can't remember any details about it. Pity Mauro Pratesi never made the move from the mailing list to the forum, this is the sort of thing that he'd probably know about.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

JimBentley wrote:I'm pretty sure Countdown was the only show he was on, although he played Scrabble competitively in the late 1980s. I dimly recall that he got some sort of ridiculously well-paid job in the City, but can't remember any details about it. Pity Mauro Pratesi never made the move from the mailing list to the forum, this is the sort of thing that he'd probably know about.
Cheers. I was hoping they would have had another Supreme Championship by now and that the two Supreme Champions could have faced each other.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

We worked out on the original talk 4 forum that if there was another supreme championship it'd have been scheduled for 2012 (series 66) though Damian has been making rather negative noises regarding not only another supreme championship (understandable- it'd be a logistical nightmare) but also more c of cs (which would be a pity if lost).

I actually met Harvey a while back, at Richard Whiteley's memorial service in York. Nice guy, if a bit quiet. He came up with Sandie Simonis, so I imagine she's a good person to ask.
Jojo Apollo
Devotee

Post by Jojo Apollo »

Ben Wilson wrote:We worked out on the original talk 4 forum that if there was another supreme championship it'd have been scheduled for 2012 (series 66) though Damian has been making rather negative noises regarding not only another supreme championship (understandable- it'd be a logistical nightmare) but also more c of cs (which would be a pity if lost).

I actually met Harvey a while back, at Richard Whiteley's memorial service in York. Nice guy, if a bit quiet. He came up with Sandie Simonis, so I imagine she's a good person to ask.
That would be a great pity if there weren't more c of cs. I was thinking that the Supreme championship would have took place when there have been 8 further c of cs since the supreme final. Not sure how many there have been since the Supreme championship.

If I was a betting man I reckon the new supreme championship would have the semi finalists Conor Travers, Craig Beevers, Julian Fell and Paul Gallen. That would be great tv :D

Yeah Harvey seemed very quiet/modest on the show too , I remember him doing the words and numbers game all in his head rather than writing down anything, (I do that with the numbers, but can't do that with the letters, too many combinations to equate in) also the word TRAGEDIAN I associate with him. Surprisingly that word hasn't come up that often on the tv shows seeing as they are common letters.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Jojo Apollo wrote: If I was a betting man I reckon the new supreme championship would have the semi finalists Conor Travers, Craig Beevers, Julian Fell and Paul Gallen. That would be great tv :D

It would, but that's assuming they'd agree to take part, or even be contactable in the first place.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Ben Wilson wrote:We worked out on the original talk 4 forum that if there was another supreme championship it'd have been scheduled for 2012 (series 66) though Damian has been making rather negative noises regarding not only another supreme championship (understandable- it'd be a logistical nightmare) but also more c of cs (which would be a pity if lost).

I don't mind emailing her about it, but I don't think I have her current address. I did meet Sandi once, mind you.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?