k8isgr8: official Kate Horton appreciation topic

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

k8isgr8: official Kate Horton appreciation topic

Post by Charlie Reams »

The most under-appreciated member of the production team, and also the only one who has given birth (rumours about Damian notwithstanding.) That deserves some kudos I think. Also she is totally friendly and nice to the contestants, even the nightmarishly awful ones (mentioning no names.)

If you agree, you should post here. If not, you should STFU. [On second thoughts this should probably be my sig.]
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Re: k8isgr8: official Kate Horton appreciation topic

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Oh, hell yes. An awesome human being. Simple as.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

And the prettiest :)
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Hear hear, a real treasure.
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Well I haven't seen today's progamme yet but on the basis of yesterdays I think she could have merit. I just hope she has some more interesting things to say in her spot. Having said that I thought the way she did her bit yesterday was very entertaining.

I am looking forward to seeing more of her.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Oliver Garner
Series 62 Champion

Post by Oliver Garner »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Well I haven't seen today's progamme yet but on the basis of yesterdays I think she could have merit. I just hope she has some more interesting things to say in her spot. Having said that I thought the way she did her bit yesterday was very entertaining.

You're thinking of Kate Humble
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Oliver Garner wrote:
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Well I haven't seen today's progamme yet but on the basis of yesterdays I think she could have merit. I just hope she has some more interesting things to say in her spot. Having said that I thought the way she did her bit yesterday was very entertaining.

You're thinking of Kate Humble
I beg your pardon, I'm just back from the pub and not thinking straight!!
Apologies to all.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I like Kate Horton because she seems like such a happy lady! She has a great little son and I love seeing the smile on her face!

I called her line when Jeff Stelling and Rachel Riley were named the new hosts of Countdown, and she wasn't there but her co-worker Sarah was. When she spoke to me after I called Sarah, she said she was "so sorry she missed my call" that day. A mean person wouldn't apologize to me. She seems so happy to be working on Countdown, and she is the kind of person who I would want to keep in touch with even after she leaves Countdown.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jason Larsen wrote:she is the kind of person who I would want to keep in touch with even after she leaves Countdown.
I'm sure she'll be delighted to hear that.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I informed her about this thread, but I haven't heard from her in quite a while! She doesn't even know about my kidney stone!

I will let everyone know about that later. I don't want to give anything away!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

How long did it take you to make that?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kai Laddiman wrote:How long did it take you to make that?
Umm.... if Kate appreciates it, it was worthwhile.
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Totally agree. I dealt with Kate a lot when I was first on the show - she's been great right from day one. Long live Kate :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I knew it, Jon!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

I'll continue this thread with more positives. Kate is always very pleasant and a delight to have working on Countdown - so easy to talk to as well! :D
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

How can you not, Kirk?

Kate is a great lady, I've told her several times and she knows it!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:Oh, hell yes. An awesome human being. Simple as.
That's a bit harsh Junaid, we can't all be Oxbridge maths graduates.
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Kirk is God, ergo by induction, Kate is also god! I heart Kate :)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

The great lady is speechless! She is at a loss for words! She doesn't even know what to say!

I just talked to her!
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Jason Larsen wrote:The great lady is speechless! She is at a loss for words! She doesn't even know what to say!

I just talked to her!
That must've been a fairly one-sided conversation.
Naomi Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Naomi Laddiman »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:The great lady is speechless! She is at a loss for words! She doesn't even know what to say!
I just talked to her!
That must've been a fairly one-sided conversation.
Perhaps it should have said "talked at her".
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I talked to her through e-mail, and even though our conversation was not instantaneous, all our reactions would have been universal had I said the same thing to all of you!
tonywarren
Rookie

Re: k8isgr8: official Kate Horton appreciation top

Post by tonywarren »

I used to think she was merely great, what with being a friendly smoking mother and all that and then she spotted leylandii in the green room... immortal :mrgreen:
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Tony, she is still a nice person!
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

I have just taken my wife to Leeds to see three days' worth of Countdown being recorded as she had never been and on the first day, Kate made a point of coming into the studio to find us, which didn't take long as warm-up man Dudley was taking the piss out of me because of our similar haircuts. I thought this was very nice of Kate (even if she was put up to it) considering I had never been on the show. In the course of the three days she chatted about five or six times and so did Damian. The whole bunch of them are great.
Last edited by Chris Corby on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Chris Corby wrote:The whole bunch of them are great.
Fact.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Chris Corby wrote:I have just taken my wife to Leeds to see three days' worth of Countdown being recorded as she had never been and on the first day, Kate made a point of coming into the studio to find us, which didn't take long as warm-up man Dudley was taking the piss out of me because of our similar haircuts. I thought this was very nice of Kate (even if she was put up to it) considering I had never been on the show. In the course of the three days she chatted about five or six times and so did Damian. The whole bunch of them are great.
That is good to hear, gives one a warm feeling, thanks for sharing.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Absolutely!
Kate Horton
Rookie

Post by Kate Horton »

Thank you everyone for saying such nice things :oops: . I am touched (Corby, behave)
It's weird reading things about youself but now I know I am a "smoking mother god who is simple as..." ;)
Been a busy week with three days in studio (Jerry, Jerry!) and got back 10 minutes ago from Newcastle auditions. But thought I should reply to show how grateful I am before someone starts a strand "K8 is (not so) gr8 afterall"
I love you all. xx
Last edited by Kate Horton on Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Does Marie Wale still work there? She was pretty cute as well.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Kathleen Batlle
Acolyte

Post by Kathleen Batlle »

The whole Countdown set-up and team seem so nice. I'm sure if I lived in Leeds I'd be forever asking for audience tickets. I play every day along with the contestants and I know for sure I'd never reach the standard necessary to get on the show, but I would just love to be in the audience. However, I'll just have to dream on as not only do I live in Spain, but I don't come over to UK very often and then I mostly visit in Hampshire. I love the show and this website and feel as though I know you all, so keep up the good work and for sure I'll be watching and scribbling away on my little countdown notepads. I love your little w........ing men, Jon, where did you get them from, or did you design them yourself?
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

I lost the recording of my original show of 1998 some years back and feared the day would be reduced to memories alone. Then came along the wonderful Kate, who digged it out for me from the archives, which really must have been quite a hassle. Thanks very much Kate, that was incredibly nice of you. A legend you are.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I just made Kate a very happy lady earlier!
Steven Briers
Rookie

Post by Steven Briers »

The whole production team are smashing, but Kate especially, who very kindly sent me a message congratulating me on my victory (which I've only just got round to replying to :oops: ) I doubt whether there are many other game shows where you would have the same experience, and be treated so well, though as Countdown is the only one I've been on I guess I'm in no position to comment.
Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Steven Briers wrote:I doubt whether there are many other game shows where you would have the same experience, and be treated so well, though as Countdown is the only one I've been on I guess I'm in no position to comment.
For me, part of the appeal of going on game shows is precisely that you do get treated so well and the experience is always so thoroughly enjoyable. I haven't been on Countdown and so can't compare it with the ones I have been on, but in my experience the people who run most game shows are very good at their job, a big part of which is to put you at your ease and make you feel good about yourself. The contestant researchers on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? were a brilliant bunch (and drank several of us under the table at the hotel afterwards); Lisa, who looked after me for the day, sent me a lovely note afterwards and asked for copies of the photos I'd had taken with her to pin on her wall. And when I did BrainTeaser, Alex Lovell (who was hosting that day) was completely unaffected and sat and chatted to us while we were being made up - I can tell you that that woman knows some filthy stories!
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Jason Larsen wrote:I just made Kate a very happy lady earlier!
Ben Hunter wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:I forgot to mention this, but it is only 4 millimeters in size, although very long and skinny.
Don't worry: it's not the size of the boat but the motion in the ocean.
So the proverb is true.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:I just made Kate a very happy lady earlier!
Ben Hunter wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:I forgot to mention this, but it is only 4 millimeters in size, although very long and skinny.
Don't worry: it's not the size of the boat but the motion in the ocean.
So the proverb is true.
Worst. Mental image. Ever.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Congratulations, Steven!

So, are you going to appear on any game shows in the near future and do we know if Wogan's Perfect Recall will be renewed?

And Ben, I just made Kate a very happy lady earlier because I told her that my surgery went well. My kidney stone is broken down into particles now and a follow-up appointment with the doctor who performed my surgery will be arranged soon.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Jason Larsen wrote:I just made Kate a very happy lady earlier because I told her that my surgery went well.
So how big is it after the surgery Jason? Kate?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kate phoned me today and told me to fuck off. That's the kind of love that only Northern girls know how to give!
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:Kate phoned me today and told me to fuck off. That's the kind of love that only Northern girls know how to give!
I wish Kate phoned me, even if it was just to tell me to fuck off :(
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Kate phoned me today and told me to fuck off. That's the kind of love that only Northern girls know how to give!
I wish Kate phoned me, even if it was just to tell me to fuck off :(
Why would she need to phone you when you're hiding in that bush just outside her front window?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Excellent.
Last edited by Jon Corby on Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Charlie Reams wrote:Why would she need to phone you when you're hiding in that bush just outside her front window?
I'm in Kate's bush? Wow-ow-ow-ow-ow, unbelievable! (Jeff)

(Even I'm confused by that bizarre mishmash of references)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jon Corby wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Why would she need to phone you when you're hiding in that bush just outside her front window?
I'm in Kate's bush? Wow-ow-ow-ow-ow, unbelievable! (Jeff)

(Even I'm confused by that bizarre mishmash of references)
I'll toss 'em up, you hit 'em. I even wrote "shrub" originally to prevent you making that joke, but that made it sound like Kate lived in Australasian brushland, which is not quite true.

Edit: Okay I just got the extra reference. Very good.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Jon, my kidney stone is broken down into pieces now, I have a stent in me and I will be having it removed soon.

Charlie, why would Kate call you on the phone and tell you to go away?
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Kathleen Batlle wrote:I love your little w........ing men, Jon, where did you get them from, or did you design them yourself?
I didn't design it, I shamelessly stole it from another forum. Obviously the effort of making them spell out that message was all my own work though :)
Richard Priest
Devotee

Post by Richard Priest »

Was it in response to any provocation?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'm wondering why, Richard! I did ask Charlie!
D Eadie
Devotee

Post by D Eadie »

This is ever so touching. Bless you Kate.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Damian! You're back!

Did you get my message from Lara?

I really like you all, including Kate!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

I've not even been on the show, but I have met Kate. I agree with a lot of what's been said; she's lovely.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Absolutely, Howard!

I love the smiles of both herself and Lara!
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Phil Reynolds wrote:And when I did BrainTeaser, Alex Lovell (who was hosting that day) was completely unaffected and sat and chatted to us while we were being made up - I can tell you that that woman knows some filthy stories!
Did she know the filthy stories prior to chatting to you while you were being made up, or as a consequence of...? :mrgreen: