Teapots

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Teapots

Post by Chris Philpot »

Right, the question I intended to ask about half an hour ago, before becoming utterly engrossed in "dress code"(!):

I recall reading somewhere that, along with the new set for the latest series of Countdown, the champions' teapots were also to receive a revamp. Was there any truth in this, and if so does anyone have a photo of the new style teapot? Heck, any good teapot stories whilst we are at it? Cheers! :)
Innis Carson
Devotee

Re: Teapots

Post by Innis Carson »

Jeff mentioned it at the start of a programme at some point I think. If I remember right, it's pretty much the same except it's a darker shade of blue.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Just ask Kirk to show you his.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Just ask Kirk to show you his.
The losing challenger gets one too?
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

The other question about teapots is
where do you all keep them?
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Chris Philpot
Acolyte

Post by Chris Philpot »

I'm sad to say mine (well, Ariane's of course!) is under the bed. Only for safe-keeping, mind. Once I have somewhere safe to display it I will do so, proudly, and without claiming it's mine!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:The other question about teapots is
Mine is in my parent's house. My nameplate is on the door of my room here in Cambridge. And the prize items of my collection, the original C and R tiles as fondled by Carol, are stuck to my fridge.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

ebay.com
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Better question, has anyone ever used their Countdown teapot to make an actual drink of tea?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Lorraine Murtagh

Post by Lorraine Murtagh »

Martin Gardner wrote:Better question, has anyone ever used their Countdown teapot to make an actual drink of tea?
Me! Well not mine, Ian's :) (Ian Volante that is, in case any other Ians worry that I broke in and used their teapots)
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Charlie Reams wrote:And the prize items of my collection, the original C and R tiles as fondled by Carol, are stuck to my fridge.
Wow. I wonder how many other people can claim that Carol fondled their Rs.
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

Martin Gardner wrote:Better question, has anyone ever used their Countdown teapot to make an actual drink of tea?
Yes. Had a party for thirty people to watch my losing against Richard in the series 55 final. It pours beautifully and now lives on the mantelpiece :D .
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

tonywarren wrote:
Yes. Had a party for thirty people to watch my losing against Richard in the series 55 final. It pours beautifully and now lives on the mantelpiece :D .
None have yet found their way to the little room then? That's good to know!
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:None have yet found their way to the little room then? That's good to know!
No, the state of our plumbing is quite adequate thankyou.

Er, it's on top of a bureau.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

On't bookshelf in't front room. Never been used for tea.

We stopped the tape when the teapot was on, to see if we could spot the difference. we couldn't. Of course, we wouldn't get colour shades.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Just ask Kirk to show you his.
And the teapot.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Junaid Mubeen wrote:
ebay.com
Just looking on ebay now and someone is selling their teapot and trying to get £225 for it :shock:
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote:
ebay.com
Just looking on ebay now and someone is selling their teapot and trying to get £225 for it :shock:
Try spot the number of spelling errors in the description!
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Martin Gardner wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:

Try spot the number of spelling errors in the description!
That's sadly funny.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Joseph Bolas wrote:
Junaid Mubeen wrote:
ebay.com
I've just had another look at this ebay item (to see if anyone paid £225), and they've now reduced the price to £75 (including p&p).
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Joseph Bolas wrote:I've just had another look at this ebay item (to see if anyone paid £225), and they've now reduced the price to £75 (including p&p).
Haha. Tempted?
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:I've just had another look at this ebay item (to see if anyone paid £225), and they've now reduced the price to £75 (including p&p).
Haha. Tempted?
If I had a job, I would be tempted yeah :lol: (though I probably wouldn't buy it).
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Haha. Tempted?
I suppose that now they've changed the look of the teapot (IIRC?), there is a point to buying one for a souvenir, since you can't win the same one now.
Personally not tempted though.
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Julie T wrote:
Michael Wallace wrote:
Haha. Tempted?
I suppose that now they've changed the look of the teapot (IIRC?), there is a point to buying one for a souvenir, since you can't win the same one now.
Personally not tempted though.
According to the listing, the teapot has been sold for £50/75, but looking at the bid history, someone offered £150 for the teapot and it was declined.
Les Butterworth
Rookie

Post by Les Butterworth »

In a moment of madness I have purchased the 'Teapot' on eBay.

It will I feel be a unique Mothers Day present.
I was taking Mother to Tatton or Nunsmere and they cost an arm and a leg so am quite happy cost wise.
Hopefully the 'Teapot' will arrive in one piece through our much maligned postal service and will be displayed appropriately not as a trophy but as an aquisition. Maybe one day a collectors item though I would never sell it of course..................!

As Mother now lives with me it is I suppose a little self indulgent.

ps. I suppose there is no chance of Charlie's letter tile's as fondled by Carol to appear on eBay.

Was going to say (Charlie's R's up for auction) but thought better of it.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Les Butterworth wrote: ps. I suppose there is no chance of Charlie's letter tile's as fondled by Carol to appear on eBay.

Was going to say (Charlie's R's up for auction) but thought better of it.
No, sorry, I love them too much. Apart from anything else they were a present from Kate and it would be a bit shit of me to then sell them.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Les, that's a wonderful thing to do! If my son bought me a Countdown teapot, I'd be over the moon! If I had a son. Waiting a few years, of course! But anyway, it's a really nice gesture, that was what I wanted to say :)
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Charlie Reams wrote:Mine is in my parent's house. My nameplate is on the door of my room here in Cambridge. And the prize items of my collection, the original C and R tiles as fondled by Carol, are stuck to my fridge.
I didn't know you got to keep your name plate! 8-) So when you went back for CoC, did you have to take it with you, or did you get a new one? ;)
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Lesley Jeavons wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:Mine is in my parent's house. My nameplate is on the door of my room here in Cambridge. And the prize items of my collection, the original C and R tiles as fondled by Carol, are stuck to my fridge.
I didn't know you got to keep your name plate! 8-) So when you went back for CoC, did you have to take it with you, or did you get a new one? ;)
You get a new one each time, but I only remembered to steal mine on 2 of the 4 occasions that I filmed.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Les Butterworth wrote:In a moment of madness I have purchased the 'Teapot' on eBay.

It will I feel be a unique Mothers Day present.
I was taking Mother to Tatton or Nunsmere and they cost an arm and a leg so am quite happy cost wise.
Hopefully the 'Teapot' will arrive in one piece through our much maligned postal service and will be displayed appropriately not as a trophy but as an aquisition. Maybe one day a collectors item though I would never sell it of course..................!

As Mother now lives with me it is I suppose a little self indulgent.
That is a nice thought for Mothers Day :). It's definitely unique.

Did you do the offer of £150 as well then?
Les Butterworth
Rookie

No Joseph I didn't make the £150 offer in fact I only looked when the teapot was mentioned earlier on this thread and just thought at £50 + p&p was a realy good offer. I do buy and sell a few cameras and lenses on eBay and would never had thought of looking for a Teapot I certainly will not be selling as I never doubted Charlie would ever sell his tiles.

It does amaze me what some people sell on Flog It.
Last edited by Les Butterworth on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Les Butterworth wrote:
Joseph Bolas wrote:Did you do the offer of £150 as well then?
No J I didn't make the £150 offer in fact I only looked when the teapot was mentioned and just thought at £50 + p&p was a realy good offer. I do buy and sell a few cameras and lenses on eBay and would not had thought of looking for a Teapot I certainly will not be selling as I never doubted Charlie would ever sell his tiles.
You timed that right then as £75 for the teapot is a cracking deal. There has been another teapot that was sold on ebay (it was mentioned in another thread) and the buyer paid £185 for it :shock:
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

I noticed that the polo shirt is gone, which will make me wear mine with more pride. Usually I only wear it at Scrabble clubs and tournaments, although I'm sure one day I'll have the ultimate geek fashion faux pas of not being the only person wearing one.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Martin Smith wrote:I noticed that the polo shirt is gone, which will make me wear mine with more pride. Usually I only wear it at Scrabble clubs and tournaments, although I'm sure one day I'll have the ultimate geek fashion faux pas of not being the only person wearing one.
I actually tried to sell my polo shirt on eBay, but noone bought it.
Les Butterworth
Rookie

Just to let all know having now recovered from a hectic Blues Festival holiday I have recieved the Teapot in perfect condition and it is secreted away till Mother's Day.

The only problem being some space will need to be made to accomodate it's display probably some of my Golf Trophies.
Is slightly larger than envisaged on the tele sometimes things are larger or smaller in real life.

Will I hope be a talking point for Mum's visitors and maybe bring in some new countdown viewers.
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Les Butterworth wrote:Just to let all know having now recovered from a hectic Blues Festival holiday I have recieved the Teapot in perfect condition and it is secreted away till Mother's Day.
That's good to hear. It should be a great gift for your mum.
Les Butterworth
Rookie

Mother was thrilled with the Teapot and it is now displayed on the middle shelf of her small welsh dresser as I suspected some of my hard won ceramic ware has been relocated to make way. It resides between two of those small cottage type ornaments and a couple of pewter tankards.

ps Have entered the Limerick competition a teapot is I believe the prize!!!!!!
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Les Butterworth wrote:Mother was thrilled with the Teapot and it is now displayed on the middle shelf of her small welsh dresser as I suspected some of my hard won ceramic ware has been relocated to make way. It resides between two of those small cottage type ornaments and a couple of pewter tankards.

ps Have entered the Limerick competition a teapot is I believe the prize!!!!!!
Yes, you can win a teapot in the limerick competition.
Les Butterworth
Rookie

The teapot is well and Mother and I have just been on holiday to Wenslydale and visited the TEAPOT FACTORY in Leyburn that make the countdown teapot as well as a huge, no bigger than that, range of teapots of every size shape and colour you can imagine.