Kai Laddiman is a genious

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Scott Bagnall

Kai Laddiman is a genious

Post by Scott Bagnall »

Honestly the kid is unbelievable. No question about it.

He is 10 years old and he can compete with the best of them. Surely one at his age should be outdoors kicking a football around instead of playing countdown lol. I think he would only get better at the game as he gets older and had he left it until he was say 18 then i think he would of walked it!
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Re: Kai Laddiman is a genious

Post by Clare Sudbery »

But where will he go next?? So much achieved so yong... I predict he will have become an arch villain by the time he's 18, and will have taken over the world by 19. Planet Laddiman here we come. I wonder what it'll be like? ;o)

[PS Watch out for a flood of references to Kai's ability to spell (friendly nod: GENIUS has no O in it).]

[although thinking about it... would GENIOUS mean GENIE-like? "Kai Laddiman is, ah, genious", with the H missed out in a typo? ;o)]
Andy Thomson
Acolyte

Post by Andy Thomson »

Scotty wrote:Honestly the kid is unbelievable. No question about it.

He is 10 years old !
12, surely?

Not detracting from the fact that he is very, very good!
Scott Bagnall

Post by Scott Bagnall »

Oh shit i made a spelling mistake. Is that not allowed on here? :(
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Scotty wrote:Honestly the kid is unbelievable. No question about it.

He is 10 years old and he can compete with the best of them. Surely one at his age should be outdoors kicking a football around instead of playing countdown lol. I think he would only get better at the game as he gets older and had he left it until he was say 18 then i think he would of walked it!
He does all the kicking a football around stuff too, that's what makes him SUPER AWESOME 8-).
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Scotty wrote:Surely one at his age should be outdoors kicking a football around instead of playing countdown lol.
He does all the kicking a football around stuff too, that's what makes him SUPER AWESOME 8-).
...but supports Chelsea which brings him right back down to 'distinctly average'.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Scotty wrote:Oh shit i made a spelling mistake. Is that not allowed on here? :(
Oh arse, this is what I was trying to avoid. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. Spelling mistake schmelling mistake, and you're absolutely right about Kai!
Katherine Birkett
Rookie

Post by Katherine Birkett »

Clare Sudbery wrote:
Oh arse, this is what I was trying to avoid. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. Spelling mistake schmelling mistake, and you're absolutely right about Kai!
Or if Jeff makes one, a Stelling Mistake....... oh dear......... I'll get my coat.............. :roll:
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Katherine Birkett wrote:Or if Jeff makes one, a Stelling Mistake.......
or Stelling Mispake... :)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Katherine Birkett wrote:
Clare Sudbery wrote:
Or if Jeff makes one, a Stelling Mistake....... oh dear......... I'll get my coat.............. :roll:
That was a Riley good joke.
Vikash Shah
Rookie

Post by Vikash Shah »

Ben Hunter wrote:That was a Riley good joke.
I would Dent to agree.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Leave me out of this.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Vikash Shah wrote:I would Dent to agree.
You're out of Vorderman.
Ralph Gillions
Devotee

Post by Ralph Gillions »

I hope he keeps his feet firmly on the ground, in spite of the (deserved) praise he has
received in various threads throughout this forum.
Smiling Countdown contestants are an exception rather than the rule, so I thank him for smiling.
He knows how to "work" the cameras. I was impressed by this.
Matthew Green
Devotee

Post by Matthew Green »

Last edited by Matthew Green on Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I suddenly have a squirming baby on my lap it probably means that I should start paying it some attention and stop wasting my time messing around on a Countdown forum
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Enjoyed the ear trick yesterday as well.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ralph wrote:Smiling Countdown contestants are an exception rather than the rule, so I thank him for smiling.
Well said. Would have made a point of this myself after watching today's match (CoC SF1) - such a miserable frowny affair which is a terrible shame.
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Haven't seen todays game but the winner didn't give the impression that he/she was enjoying himself yesterday. I'm sure that he/she was though.
Last edited by Ian Dent on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Dent wrote:Haven't seen todays game but Nick didn't give the impression that he was enjoying himself yesterday. I'm sure that he was though.
Note that this isn't the spoiler thread, I deliberately didn't name names in case people reading this don't know the QF results!
But yes, crazy stuff. Zenon even mentioned today the "frowning uses more muscles than smiling" myth, it didn't have any effect on the contestants though! :(
If I was in the CoC, I'd be walking round with a huge smile constantly. And a boner.
Chris Corby
Devotee

Post by Chris Corby »

Matt Morrison wrote: If I was in the CoC, I'd be walking round with a huge smile constantly. And a boner.
You wouldn't if you'd just lost a semi
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Chris Corby wrote:
Matt Morrison wrote: If I was in the CoC, I'd be walking round with a huge smile constantly. And a boner.
Best Post Ever!
Ian Dent
Devotee

Post by Ian Dent »

Sorry. I did lose my bearings but people would have to be quite some way behind to not know who was playing in yesterdays game.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ian Dent wrote:Sorry. I did lose my bearings but people would have to be quite some way behind to not know who was playing in yesterdays game.
I'm absolutely 100% not bothered. 'Twas just a warning as if I didn't say something somebody else probably would... and likely in a much more 'you utter bastard' fashion.
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

I concur, but Callum Laddiman is also very clever! And I have no idea who played what this week, so please don't spoil me! Repeats are about 3 days behind.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matt Morrison wrote:
Chris Corby wrote:
Best Post Ever!
Condoned.
Callum Laddiman
Rookie

Post by Callum Laddiman »

[quote="Hannah O"]I concur, but Callum Laddiman is also very clever! quote]

Thanks very much Hannah for I have never been given a compliment like that before. :D :D :D :D :D
Oh, don't you just love pets..... Ahhhhhhh......
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Callum Laddiman wrote:Thanks very much Hannah

I have never been given a compliment before
Shows what my family's like. :roll:
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Callum Laddiman
Rookie

Yeh, for a second I thought you said our whole family. :D
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Callum Laddiman wrote:Yeh, for a second I thought you said our whole family. :D
For the first time in your life, you correctly thought something. :roll:

(Apologies for the abuse. He deserves it. In fact, feel free to join in.)
Callum Laddiman
Rookie

I'll get Mum on you when she returns...... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Come on, let's stop fighting in a thread all about my apparent geniosity. Let's do it (let's B&Q it) the manly way. :twisted:

You :arrow: :cry:

Me :arrow: 8-) :lol:
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Come on, let's stop fighting in a thread all about my apparent geniosity. Let's do it (let's B&Q it) the manly way. :twisted:

You :arrow: :cry:

Me :arrow: 8-) :lol:
This goes towards the "what do you do after appearing in finals & CofC?" question.
It's obvious, you train up another family member to appear.
I'm coaching my wife, Carol, Kai has multiple siblings and a cute mum to work on :mrgreen:
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Who is better: Callum? Or Kai?

There's only way to find out...
Hannah O
Acolyte

Post by Hannah O »

Grudge match of doom! :D I got my cousin addicted to Countdown and now he keeps beating me :(
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Genius? Pah. The only reason I didn't become an Octochamp and C of C entrant when I was 11 was that there wasn't any Countdown then. That's the ONLY reason. Absolutely. No other reason AT ALL.

(OK, so I didn't become an Octochamp when I was 36, either. Well, that's just because my brain had got a bit older. And they were using a bigger dictionary, so there were lots of new words that I didn't need to know when I was 11. And because, being old, I didn't give the "fear factor" of being beaten by an 11-year-old that turned Kai's opponents' brains to bundlous nerves of quivering jelly. And because I was robbed. Unplaited. Huh.)

But that's beside the point - I WOULD HAVE BEEN AN 11-YEAR OLD OCTOCHAMP!!!!!! NOTHING COULD HAVE STOPPED ME! And I'm sure everyone else (over the age of 39) on this forum can say the same, without any fear of being proved wrong.

:evil:
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

David Roe wrote:over the age of 39
I'm 39. Does that mean I can't use the same argument?

Bother.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

David Roe wrote:Genius? Pah. The only reason I didn't become an Octochamp and C of C entrant when I was 11 was that there wasn't any Countdown then. That's the ONLY reason. Absolutely. No other reason AT ALL.

(OK, so I didn't become an Octochamp when I was 36, either. Well, that's just because my brain had got a bit older. And they were using a bigger dictionary, so there were lots of new words that I didn't need to know when I was 11. And because, being old, I didn't give the "fear factor" of being beaten by an 11-year-old that turned Kai's opponents' brains to bundlous nerves of quivering jelly. And because I was robbed. Unplaited. Huh.)

But that's beside the point - I WOULD HAVE BEEN AN 11-YEAR OLD OCTOCHAMP!!!!!! NOTHING COULD HAVE STOPPED ME! And I'm sure everyone else (over the age of 39) on this forum can say the same, without any fear of being proved wrong.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Gardner wrote:
David Roe wrote:Genius? Pah. The only reason I didn't become an Octochamp and C of C entrant when I was 11 was that there wasn't any Countdown then. That's the ONLY reason. Absolutely. No other reason AT ALL.

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Brilliant. Basically he's saying that he could have been an 11-year-old Octochamp like Kai, but when he was 11 there was no Countdown. I know, how can anyone be that old? And then he went on when he was 36 and still didn't become an Octochamp because his brain was older and more worn out, and because they had a bigger dictionary so it was harder, and because not being 11, he didn't turn his opponents into quivering jelly. And he had UNPLAITED disallowed (unless he meant that his opponent wrongly had it allowed).
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Exactly, Gavin. I could have been just as much genius as Kai, but was denied the chance. Anyone born before early November 1970 could not physically be an 11-year-old Octochamp, and therefore deserves all the accolades as if they were. :)

("Unplaited" was disallowed in my 6th game. I lost. :( )

((He is still quite bright, though.))
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Hmm. I think you're trying to make the argument that "we don't know how well other contestants would have done at the same age." which definitely came up on Gevincountdown a few years ago. I don't really buy that - I suppose you could have been national Scrabble champion at 11 as well? If anything, what I like about Kai is that he's really mature - perhaps too mature. And he's a brilliant onscreen character as well. But don't give me that bullshit that anyone could be an Octochamp at 11, please.
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Martin Gardner wrote:But don't give me that bullshit that anyone could be an Octochamp at 11, please.
I think there may be some oddly-shaped cheeks around though Martin, due to the presence of tongues.

Personally there's no doubt whatsoever that I would have been a 13-yr-old Olympic gymnast, were it not for a splinter I once had in my right toe. Said splinter also prevented me from being the first ever female president of the USA, but there you go. I'm not bitter.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Clare - I don't agree that that splinter has prevented you from being the first female president of the USA. There's still time.

I do think you've left it too late for the gymnastics, though.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

ARE YOU CALLING ME OLD?

;)
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Martin Gardner wrote:Hmm. I think you're trying to make the argument that "we don't know how well other contestants would have done at the same age." which definitely came up on Gevincountdown a few years ago. I don't really buy that - I suppose you could have been national Scrabble champion at 11 as well? If anything, what I like about Kai is that he's really mature - perhaps too mature. And he's a brilliant onscreen character as well. But don't give me that bullshit that anyone could be an Octochamp at 11, please.
<( the joke )==3==
------>you :o
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Old, Clare? Perish the thought. It's just that the squirming baby which may or may not be on your lap at present, led me to believe you were too old to be a 13-year old gymnast now or in the future. :)
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

David Roe wrote:Old, Clare? Perish the thought. It's just that the squirming baby which may or may not be on your lap at present, led me to believe you were too old to be a 13-year old gymnast now or in the future. :)
's OK, I'm happy with my age (I was only joking). I'll be having a big party to celebrate 40 this summer, woohoo!
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Ben Hunter wrote:
Martin Gardner wrote:Hmm. I think you're trying to make the argument that "we don't know how well other contestants would have done at the same age." which definitely came up on Gevincountdown a few years ago. I don't really buy that - I suppose you could have been national Scrabble champion at 11 as well? If anything, what I like about Kai is that he's really mature - perhaps too mature. And he's a brilliant onscreen character as well. But don't give me that bullshit that anyone could be an Octochamp at 11, please.
<( the joke )==3==
:?:
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Ben Hunter wrote:
<( the joke )==3==
:?:
It's the joke going over his head. I think I attempted a similar gag before but it's quite hard to pull off when the forum breaks the spacing.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Who is better: Callum? Or Kai?

There's only way to find out...
Kinda obvious that one. Fight-off will commence nevertheless.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Charlie Reams wrote:It's the joke going over his head. I think I attempted a similar gag before but it's quite hard to pull off when the forum breaks the spacing.
I seem to remember it looked better last time.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Gavin Chipper wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:It's the joke going over his head. I think I attempted a similar gag before but it's quite hard to pull off when the forum breaks the spacing.
Decide for yourself. Mine didn't have a puff of smoke, though, which I thought was a nice touch.
Ben Hunter
Kiloposter

Post by Ben Hunter »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:
Decide for yourself. Mine didn't have a puff of smoke, though, which I thought was a nice touch.
Whereas mine had a rocket and a puff of smoke, yours had invisible tildes, so I think it's a tie.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I wasn't paying that much attention actually. I thought Charlie had done them both and didn't work it out as a puff of smoke. But both good efforts.