I'm on a quest to make an online game which is a mash up of Texas Holdem poker and Countdown. The premise is simple: The rules of Texas Holdem poker still apply, but instead of a deck of playing cards, we'll use a deck of letters instead. When comparing hand the player who makes the longest legal word from their card + the table cards wins the hand. If words are of equal length or all words offered are illegal then players split the pot like you would in a tied hand in poker.
Alice's Hand: S T
Bob's Hand: F A
Table: E E U R T
When showing down cards, Bob offers FEATURE (7) which trumps Alice's offering of TESTER (6) and Bob claims the pot.
There must be people out there with the skills and enthusiasm to want to help with this, so if you think you'd be able to help with developing the game, please let me know!
A great starting point would be finding a good open source poker engine which is easy to mod. You'd just have to replace the deck of cards with a deck of letters and replace the rules for scoring hands against each other with a dictionary validity check + word length comparison.
I've raise a similar topic already on Board game Arena: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/postin ... =post&f=12
I've seen there's something called PokerTH but I am not familiar with it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PokerTH
I can find an open source poker server: https://github.com/floatinghotpot/casino-server
My skillsit is mostly based around Android apps, I could probably figure some of this stuff out but I wouldn't be the quickest.
- This is just for fun. Games would not be for real money
- I have a dictionary with words so this is not an issue
- I have no plans to make this into any sort of business, its just a personl project so us Countdowners can have a bit of fun together in a different format
- Yeah it has no numbers rounds. Sorry about that if you care about numbers.
- The seven letter example is just illustrative, of course the numbers of cards etc will be tweaked after play testing.