Request for comment: Xmas specials numbering

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Request for comment: Xmas specials numbering

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I can't decide as to whether the Christmas specials should have normal episode numbers (as per the 500th, 1000th, 1500th, 18th birthday, and 25th anniversary specials), or whether they should have the "S" prefix which is used for episodes that are filmed not for a specific date but dropped in as and when there is a gap.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Request for comment: Xmas specials numbering

Post by Johnny Canuck »

I say go with the S prefix. These episodes aren't part of a series and break continuity. Never understood why there were specials that didn't use it.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I’m just going off this comment from Ben Wilson in 2008:
Seems like we have a similar situation to the 18th birthday specials and the '500th', '1000th' and '1500th' shows- which are counted in the overall numbering system, and personally, I'd agree the same thing happening here. The S-shows aren't numbered purely because they were recorded as filler, to be broadcast whenever was deemed necessary- this show was always intended to be broadcast between 4472 and 4474.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Complicated stuff.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

On top of the normal and S sequences, the Christmas special from 1997, with Richard and Carol, falls into neither category, having the unique "CS" prefix instead.

It seems like all of the normally-numbered specials were either anniversaries or milestone episodes. And if they were to have been shown at any other time, the on-screen dialogue/patter from the hosts saying "happy birthday" or "cheers to 1,000 episodes" would have been incorrect. On the other hand, the S specials could be moved to other dates, or repeated, at any time without the dialogue from the hosts being wrong, which is why I would support an S for this one.
Gavin Chipper wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:18 pm Complicated stuff.
I know right? We should just descend into chaos.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Fiona T
Kiloposter

Post by Fiona T »

I don't wish to be a heathen - but does this matter? :) AS1 AS2 AS3 - awesome specials :)
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

It kinda matters because it will affect when they say "happy 8,000 episodes" etc. My understanding is that they don't have an overall number independent of the wiki's numberings.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:18 am It kinda matters because it will affect when they say "happy 8,000 episodes" etc. My understanding is that they don't have an overall number independent of the wiki's numberings.
Do they use the wiki?
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:28 am
Rhys Benjamin wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:18 am It kinda matters because it will affect when they say "happy 8,000 episodes" etc. My understanding is that they don't have an overall number independent of the wiki's numberings.
Do they use the wiki?
My understanding was they used Mike Brown's numbering before the wiki existed, which of course is what the wiki was based on. I don't know if they use the wiki, but I think they do.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Looks like this may be academic now given Vallance has browbeat Boris into U-turning.