How-To Guides

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Re: How-To Guides

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Clare Sudbery wrote:Once I've been on the show, maybe the stats geeks can try and quantify how much advantage I gained from my numbers performance. They'll enjoy that.
Damn right I would. If you let me know when you start practising the numbers I could start doing some statistics-fu on your apterous data if you want.
I've been practising 5-small since I arrived on Apterous. Started practising 6-small last week I think (you should be able to see cos I was playing 6-small against bots, and losing them all the time til I got the hang of it). This week I've started work on 4-large, but not got very far with that yet (any tips, methods etc would be gratefully received).

I played a couple of games last night against real people where I was choosing 6-small, and in one of them I think it gave me a real advantage. I won by quite a high margin, and I think the 6-smalliness was partially responsible.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Clare, do the Countdown audition team give you any tips on practising, or even point you towards apterous and this forum?
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:Clare, do the Countdown audition team give you any tips on practising, or even point you towards apterous and this forum?
No Ian, they don't. I found this place through Google after having vaguely remembered seeing someone mention something on the show itself (I realise now it was probably Charlie, but was only watching with half an eye at the time, while cooking tea for kids).
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Tips on 4 large? Best one IMO is that 25 x 25 = 625. You can use (100-75) or (75-50) to get one of the 25s; you've got 100 or 50 left to add or subtract; and you've still got 2 small numbers to fiddle about with for the detail. Anything between 510 and 740 or so and that's my first stop.

If it's a big target and the 2 little numbers are both smallish, don't add the little numbers together to multiply by 100. Add two or more big numbers to multiply by just 1 of the little ones. Then you've got the other little one spare.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

David Roe wrote:Tips on 4 large? Best one IMO is that 25 x 25 = 625. You can use (100-75) or (75-50) to get one of the 25s; you've got 100 or 50 left to add or subtract; and you've still got 2 small numbers to fiddle about with for the detail. Anything between 510 and 740 or so and that's my first stop.

If it's a big target and the 2 little numbers are both smallish, don't add the little numbers together to multiply by 100. Add two or more big numbers to multiply by just 1 of the little ones. Then you've got the other little one spare.
A Jerry Humphreys and Jono O'Neill co-production at http://jerryh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/coun ... umbers.htm is pretty much all you need to know about 4 large.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Gary Male wrote:
David Roe wrote:Tips on 4 large? Best one IMO is that 25 x 25 = 625. You can use (100-75) or (75-50) to get one of the 25s; you've got 100 or 50 left to add or subtract; and you've still got 2 small numbers to fiddle about with for the detail. Anything between 510 and 740 or so and that's my first stop.

A Jerry Humphreys and Jono O'Neill co-production at http://jerryh.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/coun ... umbers.htm is pretty much all you need to know about 4 large.
Jon O'Neill? He of the "methods don't help, you just need to practise?" school. Surely not. ;)

That's really useful David & Gary, thank you.

A brilliant one I just got courtesy of Apterous Rex is this: Sometimes you want to use the divide-by-25 rule more than once, e.g. you want a 2 from 50/25 and a 3 from 75/25. Well, it can be done. Just save the 25 and use it later.
For instance if you have 100,75,50,25,5,3 and a target of 289.

97x3 = 291,
so you need two 3s (so you can do (100-3)*3)
and a 2 (for 291-2 = 289).

75/25 is 3, 50/25 is 2.
So you do the following: ((75x97) - 50)/25.

Because if you divide all terms by 25 you can see that (75a - 50)/25 is the same as (3a - 2)/1, or indeed 3a - 2.

It looks fearfully scary and clever, but it's actually just basic arithmetic.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Clare Sudbery wrote:Jon O'Neill? He of the "methods don't help, you just need to practise?" school. Surely not. ;)
I think what Jono meant is that there's other stuff that's way more important first. It's not really worth learning the minutiae of 4 large numbers games when you have a month or whatever to go until filming. The chances of it making any difference whatsoever are really tiny, and your time will be better spent just playing regular games and improving your word spots and 1-large/2-large games like that.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Clare Sudbery wrote:It's weird, I'm feeling very much on the defensive here, like you're all determined to talk me out of doing anything other than brute practice. Which is, well, odd. But I'm happy doing what I'm doing, and I'll enjoy writing it all up into a "Things Which Might Improve Your Game" thingy when I've finished... which will contain stuff which wil be useful to some, interesting to others, infuriating to yet more... but people will be able to cherry-pick whatever they think might work for them.
This is what I said earlier in the thread. Even if you don't agree with all this stuff, you can't say it's not interesting! Hmm I think I'm out of tips now. Having said that, re vocabulary, a lot of people say they have a good vocabulary when they start playing Scrabble. The problem is, there's basically no relation between usefulness of words in real life and for Scrabble. One of the mosty useful Scrabble words EUOI is also one of the hardest to find in any dictionary that you look in. But I do think for Countdown this sort of word learning isn't necessary - knowing all the four-letter words won't help much, for example!
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

[quote=".....

75/25 is 3, 50/25 is 2.
So you do the following: ((75x97) - 50)/25.

Because if you divide all terms by 25 you can see that (75a - 50)/25 is the same as (3a - 2)/1, or indeed 3a - 2.

It looks fearfully scary and clever, but it's actually just basic arithmetic.[/quote]

There was a contestant on a couple of years ago who used to do the big number calculation for Carol and then the divisions at the end, so he often had intermediate numbers in the thousands before he ended up with the answer.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:There was a contestant on a couple of years ago who used to do the big number calculation for Carol and then the divisions at the end, so he often had intermediate numbers in the thousands before he ended up with the answer.
Erm, wasn't that Jon O'Neill?
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Martin Gardner wrote:
Ian Fitzpatrick wrote:There was a contestant on a couple of years ago who used to do the big number calculation for Carol and then the divisions at the end, so he often had intermediate numbers in the thousands before he ended up with the answer.
Erm, wasn't that Jon O'Neill?
I don't know, perhaps it can be confirmed. I just remember he was very entertaining, I didn't remember names in those days!
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

It was. 25 50 75 100 1 10 Target 813 was probably his greatest hour. Or 30 seconds.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

((25x(75-10))+1)/(100/50)?

The lovely 937.5 rule - which surprisingly I've known about for a while now, cos Kirk told it to me on Apterous a few weeks ago.

Actually what bothers me about this kind of thing, but also much simpler sums, is that I tend to think strategically for numbers. So for instance, if I have 75, 7, 2, 5 and I'm aiming for 516, then I'll think to myself, 7x75 = 525, now I need to find 9, OK that's (14 - 5), I can get 14 by 7x2, which means taking the 2 from the 75, then I'll add 5 at the end.

The sum in my head has now become "(7x(75-2))+5", and I neither know nor care what the intermediate totals are. So then I'd say to Rachel, "Take the 2 from the 75, then multiple by 7..." and she'd be saying, "7 x 73 is..." and I haven't a clue what 7 x 73 is! OK so I could work it out, but my mental arithmetic is surprisingly slow, and my brain just doesn't work like that. So just imagine, if this is what I'm like for small numbers, if I had to read out the sum above - which I worked out very quickly using similar principles - I'd be buggered. I haven't (offhand) the faintest clue what 25 x 65 is, I just know it's a necessary stage to reach 813.
David Williams
Kiloposter

Post by David Williams »

I reckon one of the great unanswered questions is whether you need to know what 25x65 is. That sort of thing doesn't happen very often, and usually the contestant won't have worked it out. As you say, you don't need to. In the past, if the contestant just went quiet Carol would supply the intermediate figure. But Rachel never gets ahead of a contestant's explanation, which is good, but it will be interesting to see what happens when this situation comes up. Will she and the contestant just stare at each other?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

David Williams wrote:But Rachel never gets ahead of a contestant's explanation, which is good, but it will be interesting to see what happens when this situation comes up. Will she and the contestant just stare at each other?
I always let her complete my sum, just in case I'd screwed it up, and also because it used to annoy me when I'd go to say it myself and Carol talked over me.
Gary Male
Enthusiast

Post by Gary Male »

Clare Sudbery wrote:((25x(75-10))+1)/(100/50)?

The lovely 937.5 rule - which surprisingly I've known about for a while now, cos Kirk told it to me on Apterous a few weeks ago.

Actually what bothers me about this kind of thing, but also much simpler sums, is that I tend to think strategically for numbers. So for instance, if I have 75, 7, 2, 5 and I'm aiming for 516, then I'll think to myself, 7x75 = 525, now I need to find 9, OK that's (14 - 5), I can get 14 by 7x2, which means taking the 2 from the 75, then I'll add 5 at the end.

The sum in my head has now become "(7x(75-2))+5", and I neither know nor care what the intermediate totals are. So then I'd say to Rachel, "Take the 2 from the 75, then multiple by 7..." and she'd be saying, "7 x 73 is..." and I haven't a clue what 7 x 73 is! OK so I could work it out, but my mental arithmetic is surprisingly slow, and my brain just doesn't work like that. So just imagine, if this is what I'm like for small numbers, if I had to read out the sum above - which I worked out very quickly using similar principles - I'd be buggered. I haven't (offhand) the faintest clue what 25 x 65 is, I just know it's a necessary stage to reach 813.
Yes, 937.5 rule. Jono decided to say the last step a little differently, multiplying by 50 to get to 81,300, then dividing by 100.

For the "simple" ones like "7 x 73 is...", well you know the next and final step is "And add the 5" so it has to be 5 fewer than 516 meaning you can say "7 x 73 is 511" with confidence. You might be losing the double-check of actually doing the direct maths, but as long as you are sure of the steps you'll be fine. And that comes down to (wait for it...) practice.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Clare Sudbery wrote: I spend a frustrating amount of time on here getting seriously pissed off at the point-scoring.
Clare Sudbery wrote:Jon O'Neill? He of the "methods don't help, you just need to practise?" school. Surely not. ;)
lolcats
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Gary Male wrote:Yes, 937.5 rule. Jono decided to say the last step a little differently, multiplying by 50 to get to 81,300, then dividing by 100.
Nice.

Probably worth stating for those that don't know: (75*25)/(100/50) is 1875/2, which is 937.5. No use on its own cos of the fraction, but you only need to add an odd number to the top half (or rearrange as (50*75)/(100/25) and add 2n, where n is odd) to make it all lovely. As with the 813 example above, you can tinker it to get many different high numbers.
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

I had the same set of numbers three times in a row on my own choice of numbers on Apterous earlier:

100, 75, 50, 25, 10, 3

The first time, the target was 314, which looks alright until you try it. Towards the end of the time, I came up with this:

75 * 100 = 7500
10 - 3 = 7
7 * 50 = 350
7500 + 350 = 7850
7850 / 25 = 314

Basically it's a modified 300 rule. (75*100+50)/25 = 302. But if you want, you can multiply the 50 by either of both of the other two numbers, and then when you divide by 25, that number is doubled. So obviously 14, that's 7*2 so if you can get 7 out of the small numbers, it works! You could do some seriously insane stuff with this, if you wanted to:

100, 75, 50, 25, 9, 7, : TARGET 426

75 * 100 = 7500
50 * 9 * 7 = 3150
3150 + 7500 = 10650
10650 / 25 = 426

Again, if you're asked to work out on your own what the intermediate answers are, you're a bit f*cked.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Clare Sudbery wrote:The sum in my head has now become "(7x(75-2))+5", and I neither know nor care what the intermediate totals are. So then I'd say to Rachel, "Take the 2 from the 75, then multiple by 7..." and she'd be saying, "7 x 73 is..." and I haven't a clue what 7 x 73 is! OK so I could work it out, but my mental arithmetic is surprisingly slow, and my brain just doesn't work like that. So just imagine, if this is what I'm like for small numbers, if I had to read out the sum above - which I worked out very quickly using similar principles - I'd be buggered. I haven't (offhand) the faintest clue what 25 x 65 is, I just know it's a necessary stage to reach 813.
I would have thought (though not from experience) that if you don't know the intermediate stage, you could say just that but tell them you can dictate the whole sum (with brackets) and the total will be correct. You'd surely find that (i) you got the points, because there's nothing in the rules that says you have to provide subtotals, only that you need to arrange the numbers to get the final totals; and (ii) if the whole sequence made an embarassing mess, it will be edited out and re-shot after the game, when they'll probably feed you the necessary sub-total.

In case you haven't already realised, Clare, (and I don't know if you're bothered anyway!), if you do anything stupid (God forbid!) it will be edited out. For example, in one of my shows, I gave my numbers solution and then Carol said something to Richard and paused for effect - I thought she was waiting for an answer from me and mumbled something that I can only remember was a right load of tripe - and in the show as shown on TV, there was a perfectly smooth transition with this incident not there at all. And the same thing with any controversial or long-winded judging, no doubt.
David Roe
Enthusiast

Post by David Roe »

Martin Gardner wrote:I had the same set of numbers three times in a row on my own choice of numbers on Apterous earlier:

100, 75, 50, 25, 10, 3

The first time, the target was 314, which looks alright until you try it. Towards the end of the time, I came up with this:

75 * 100 = 7500
10 - 3 = 7
7 * 50 = 350
7500 + 350 = 7850
7850 / 25 = 314

Basically it's a modified 300 rule. (75*100+50)/25 = 302. But if you want, you can multiply the 50 by either of both of the other two numbers, and then when you divide by 25, that number is doubled. So obviously 14, that's 7*2 so if you can get 7 out of the small numbers, it works! You could do some seriously insane stuff with this, if you wanted to:

75 * 100 = 7500
50 * 9 * 7 = 3150
3150 + 7500 = 10650
10650 / 25 = 426

Again, if you're asked to work out on your own what the intermediate answers are, you're a bit f*cked.
(100 + 75/25) * 3 + 50/10 = 314. :)
Can't do the second one, though.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Martin Gardner wrote:

75 * 100 = 7500
50 * 9 * 7 = 3150
3150 + 7500 = 10650
10650 / 25 = 426
Since David tried solving them, I'll say my solution (inside 30 secs):

(50-7-100/25) x 9 + 75 = 426. It's the rule of 9.
Junaid Mubeen
Series 59 Champion

Post by Junaid Mubeen »

Clare, looking at your apterous stats, you are maxing around half of the numbers games. Not bad at all, but given that you are well acquainted with so many of the tricks (937.5 indeed) ought it not be higher? If I was coming up to the filming of my shows I would not spend time posting so much on this sub forum, but would be on apterous improving my game and putting these skills to the test. No?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I think if I were ever to apply, I'd definitely do a lot of four large training. Just looking at the "standard techniques" - I don't really know or use any of them. I've always considered myself quite good at numbers but I definitely lack the tools of others with four large. I often go for six small - not because I have any particular technique - but because I think quite a few people seem a bit phobic about them.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Gavin Chipper wrote:I think if I were ever to apply, I'd definitely do a lot of four large training. Just looking at the "standard techniques" - I don't really know or use any of them. I've always considered myself quite good at numbers but I definitely lack the tools of others with four large. I often go for six small - not because I have any particular technique - but because I think quite a few people seem a bit phobic about them.
Seriously, I have the 6 small and 4 large tricks in my armoury but just do 1 large. It's the word power that gets you past most contestants and a lot of contestants are afraid of even 1 large! Adding before you multiply? What??
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Gavin Chipper wrote:I think if I were ever to apply, I'd definitely do a lot of four large training. Just looking at the "standard techniques" - I don't really know or use any of them. I've always considered myself quite good at numbers but I definitely lack the tools of others with four large. I often go for six small - not because I have any particular technique - but because I think quite a few people seem a bit phobic about them.
Seriously, I have the 6 small and 4 large tricks in my armoury but just do 1 large. It's the word power that gets you past most contestants and a lot of contestants are afraid of even 1 large! Adding before you multiply? What??
Spoiler.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon O'Neill wrote:
Kirk Bevins wrote:
Spoiler.
....from playing the game at home against the contestants on the TV. Man. Gevin-police are out already.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:....from playing the game
Kirk Bevins wrote:on the TV
[against]
Kirk Bevins wrote:Gevin
Spoiler.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Haha yeah Gevin was shit at the numbers on the show. I think he bottled it.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

I am an idiot.

I've written up a How-To Guide WITH SPOILERS here.

Many apologies to those that got here before I edited this post.
Last edited by Clare Sudbery on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Clare Sudbery wrote:So... I've written all this up as promised, and The Loser's Guide to Countdown (yup, no teapot for me) can now be found here. I'm glad I swotted up on the numbers, but I think those who expressed reservations about word lists were absolutely right.
For fuck's cunting sake. I deliberately avoid the spoilers board and I still have it spoiled for me.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Matt Morrison wrote:For fuck's cunting sake. I deliberately avoid the spoilers board and I still have it spoiled for me.
Yeah, when I saw this thread had been updated at the same time as her show, I avoided it until I'd seen it. I've been burnt too many times before by this place.
Last edited by Michael Wallace on Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clare Sudbery
Enthusiast

Post by Clare Sudbery »

Sorry.

Like I said in the other thread, I've never been much good at keeping secrets. I'm amazed I lasted this long. But anyway. Sorry. :( and :oops:
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

BUMP

I was just fiddling around with the 4 larges to see which multiples of 25 you can get using them:
Sorry its formatted horribly.

(50/25)*75+100=250
(50/25)*100+75=275
(75/25)*100=300
(50/25)*(100+75)=350
(100+50)*75/25=450
100*(75+50)/25=500
((75-50)*25)-100=525
((100-75)*25)-50=575
(100-75)*25=625
((100-75)*25)+50=675
((75-50)*25)+100=725

I thought I'd post the list in this topic to see if any of the hundreds of numbers pro's out there could fill in any gaps. Also, if anyone has any links to other 4 large lists and tips, id be interested to have a look at them plz.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

75 x (100 + 50) / 25 = 400
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

Kai Laddiman wrote:75 x (100 + 50) / 25 = 400
Thats 450.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

This is what I typed out all that time ago when I was preparing:

150 = 50/25 * 75 multiplier of 2
75/25 * 50 multiplier of 3

200 = 50/25 * 100 multiplier of 2
100/25 * 50 multiplier of 4

250 = 100 + 75 + 50 + 25
75/25 * 50 + 100 multiplier of 3
50/25 * 75 + 100 multiplier of 2

275 = 50/25 * 100 + 75 multiplier of 2
100/25 * 50 + 75 multiplier of 4

300 = 75/25 * 100 multiplier of 3
100/25 * 75 multiplier of 4

350 = 50/25 * (100+75) multiplier of 2
(100+75)/25 * 50 multiplier of 7

100/25 * 75 + 50 multiplier of 3
75/25 * 100 + 50 multiplier of 4

450 = 75/25 * (100+50) multiplier of 3
(100+50)/25 * 75 multiplier of 6

500 = 100/25 * (75+50) multiplier of 4
(75+50)/25 * 100 multiplier of 5

525 = (75-50) * 25 - 100

575 = (100-75) * 25 - 50

625 = (100-75) * 25
(75-50) * 25

675 = (100-75) * 25 + 50

725 = (75-50) * 25 + 100
Last edited by Craig Beevers on Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

JackHurst wrote:
Kai Laddiman wrote:75 x (100 + 50) / 25 = 400
Thats 450.
:|
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Paul Howe
Kiloposter

Post by Paul Howe »

Clare Sudbery wrote: Once I've been on the show, maybe the stats geeks can try and quantify how much advantage I gained from my numbers performance. They'll enjoy that. ;)
So, did anyone ever get round to doing this? It does sound quite enjoyable.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

This thread is actually hilarious, reading it back now.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Jon Corby wrote:This thread is actually hilarious, reading it back now.
and utterly useless.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote:
Jon Corby wrote:This thread is actually hilarious, reading it back now.
and utterly useless.
Simply reading the thread doesn't make you better at Countdown.
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

As Jesus did 1985 years ago, today this thread shall be resurrected.

Letters ideas:
1) Does anything leap out?
2) Are there any nice affixes, e.g. ING, ED, ER, MAN...
3) Are there any nice letter combos, e.g. AEINRST, AINORST... - if so, can any stemming be done with them?
4) Has anything leapt out yet?
5) Play about with the affixes for a while.
6) Decide on longest word that is safe - do not go for obscure words for their own sake unless you are absolutely sure.

Numbers ideas:
1) What is the choice, e.g. 1 large, 2 large, 6 small, etc.
2) Do the numbers have any cool relationships?
*time starts*
--1 Large--
3ai) What is the closest multiple to the target of the large?
3aii) How can I get there?
3aiii) Any chance of split multiplication?
3aiv) Any less obvious methods?
--2 Large--
Much the same as one large, however the other large can be wielded in ways such as 25*8+75 or (25+75)*8
---3 Large--
Much the same as 2 large, though look out for things like (100*4)+(75/25) or even (100+1)*(75/25)
--4 large--
There is a very useful link on page 1 of this thread for this.
--6 small--
3bi) Is there a 10? If so, how can I use it?
3bii) Try things involving multiples.

--Conundrum--
1) Does it leap out?
2) Are there any affixes?
3) Can I have a reasonable stab?

Overall:
Don't panic.

Just my $0.02. I have never been on the show but these things have helped at co-events.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Krol wrote:As Jesus did 1985 years ago, today this thread shall be resurrected.
Jesus resurrected this thread 1985 years ago?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Joseph Krol wrote:As Jesus did 1985 years ago, today this thread shall be resurrected.
No, he did not.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Joseph Krol wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
No, he did not.
Okay. Why did you say he did?
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

I took a while over that sentence after deciding that there is no concise way in English to create a viable sentence of the form [subject_1] [verb_1],[subject_2] [proverb_1] where the 'proverb' is like a pronoun but for verbs. I is pretty sure that there ain't no ways of saying this correctly according to grammar without taking up many lines. Quod erat demonstrandum.
Graeme Cole
Series 65 Champion

Post by Graeme Cole »

Joseph Krol wrote:I took a while over that sentence after deciding that there is no concise way in English to create a viable sentence of the form [subject_1] [verb_1],[subject_2] [proverb_1] where the 'proverb' is like a pronoun but for verbs. I is pretty sure that there ain't no ways of saying this correctly according to grammar without taking up many lines. Quod erat demonstrandum.
I actually like this post. I think it's the "'proverb' is like a pronoun but for verbs" bit.

What about "as Jesus was 1985 years ago, today this thread shall be resurrected?"
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Thank you for your help, Graeme. I assume it is all to do with your choice and location of proverb.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Only on C4C.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Joseph Krol wrote:Just my $0.02.
In my day they used the Pound Sterling round Bradford way. Just my two penn'orth.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Joseph Krol
Kiloposter

Post by Joseph Krol »

Nothing wrong with economic multiculturalism.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Joseph Krol wrote:Nothing wrong with economic multiculturalism.
That's exactly the point I'm making :)
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles