Countdown in the news

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Re: Countdown in the news

Post by Ben Wilson »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Jennifer Turner wrote:An opinion piece in the Mirror, bizarre not just for its stereotyping and "alternative" mathematics, but also for the fact that a piece so slight somehow requires an "additional reporting" credit: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/more-spor ... -21037291/
By "alternative mathematics" do you by any chance mean "Riley is earning £100,000 a year, which is £500,000 less than the £800k earned by her predecessor Carol Vorderman"? I'm liking all these 'articles' demonstrating that the people writing them could maybe do with watching a bit more of the show.
Damn, beat me to it. :D If only that article had a comments feature...
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Good for the Daily Mail!
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

Jennifer Turner wrote:
Lucy Gowers wrote:Surprised that Des I only got 1.8, given his "housewives' favourite" status and the fact that the show had been off air for some months.

He must have been getting well over 2m by Spring 2006 (thanks to the exploits of Conor Travers and the fact that the tabs were running a story a day about the Des/Carol double-act) as I recall Des II being blamed in the papers for "losing" 1m viewers when the show was getting 1.4m in 2007.
Apparently not - 2 million would have got Countdown comfortably into the Top 30 throughout that period, but it wasn't showing up on any sort of regular basis, if at all. None of the episodes in the finals week of June 2006 managed the 1.72 million required to make the C4 top thirty that week.

I was amazed to learn that the 2008 average was only 1 million, I had imagined it was about 1.5m. I'm usually the voice of doom on Countdown's ratings, but even I hadn't realised they were quite that low. It certainly puts the recent upheavals in context.
Hmm, no actually, I had a look at the BARB site, and Conor's final pulled in 2.53 million viewers. You need to look under the last week of May, not June. The fact that the June figures are very low means that the last C of C wasn't very popular. Interestingly, out of the last 10 series, the game with the second highest number of viewers, behind Conor's final, was the Series 55 final, which Tony Warren was in. I guess this means that the two most popular Countdown champions in recent history are Conor Travers, and whoever it was that won Series 55. Interesting.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Post by Jennifer Turner »

Richard Brittain wrote:Hmm, no actually, I had a look at the BARB site, and Conor's final pulled in 2.53 million viewers. You need to look under the last week of May, not June.
Ah, sorry about that. I looked at Conor's page on the wiki to find out when his last game was, forgetting that that would have been in C-of-C. 2.53m is pretty respectable, shame it didn't last.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Richard Brittain wrote:I guess this means that the two most popular Countdown champions in recent history are Conor Travers, and whoever it was that won Series 55. Interesting.
That's one way to look at it. Another would be to note that the top box office blockbuster of the time was Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, which was (for the uninitiated) a comedy film about a ridiculous-looking and freakish idiot who, despite his lack of social skills and more by luck than judgement, makes it big on a wider stage. A high point of the film is his wrestling match with a large gentleman, conducted naked in a hotel room. So maybe this Series 55 final captured the zeitgeist.
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Richard Brittain wrote:
Jennifer Turner wrote:
Lucy Gowers wrote:Surprised that Des I only got 1.8, given his "housewives' favourite" status and the fact that the show had been off air for some months.

He must have been getting well over 2m by Spring 2006 (thanks to the exploits of Conor Travers and the fact that the tabs were running a story a day about the Des/Carol double-act) as I recall Des II being blamed in the papers for "losing" 1m viewers when the show was getting 1.4m in 2007.
Apparently not - 2 million would have got Countdown comfortably into the Top 30 throughout that period, but it wasn't showing up on any sort of regular basis, if at all. None of the episodes in the finals week of June 2006 managed the 1.72 million required to make the C4 top thirty that week.

I was amazed to learn that the 2008 average was only 1 million, I had imagined it was about 1.5m. I'm usually the voice of doom on Countdown's ratings, but even I hadn't realised they were quite that low. It certainly puts the recent upheavals in context.
Hmm, no actually, I had a look at the BARB site, and Conor's final pulled in 2.53 million viewers. You need to look under the last week of May, not June. The fact that the June figures are very low means that the last C of C wasn't very popular. Interestingly, out of the last 10 series, the game with the second highest number of viewers, behind Conor's final, was the Series 55 final, which Tony Warren was in. I guess this means that the two most popular Countdown champions in recent history are Conor Travers, and whoever it was that won Series 55. Interesting.
Surely because it was Des's last show. That's not to say that his rapport with the series champ didn't make for compelling viewing though.
Richard Brittain
Series Champ

Post by Richard Brittain »

OK, it seems my attempt at humour with obviously invalid logic and a shameless self promotion passed some of you by. The criticisms were both elaborate and instantaneous. Interesting.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Ratings watch...

The Mirror, already writing Deso out of history: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-storie ... -21039687/

The Telegraph puts a negative spin on the ratings: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... -show.html

And Allison Pearson in the Daily Mail asks "why on earth did [Rachel Riley] opt for those ludicrous five-inch heels?": http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/debate/ar ... acist.html

After all those speculative "Andrew Sachs might have a go at Russell Brand!" stories, none of the papers seem to have noticed when it actually happened.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

The Mirror says that Rachel Riley hasn't seen herself on Countdown yet: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/200 ... -21040164/
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Jennifer Turner wrote:The Mirror says that Rachel Riley hasn't seen herself on Countdown yet: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/200 ... -21040164/
you'd think a woman that clever would be able to operate a VCR
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Jason Larsen wrote:What, do they think Desmond is a French name?
It was probably a joke.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:* him/her: see how careful I'm being, guys!
Well done that guy!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I see people have been very indifferent about Countdown.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Giles Smith in The Times likes Jeff Stelling: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/ ... 518574.ece
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

This is the right thread to post this in!

I guess all the posts in this thread show the difference between praising and panning.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:This is the right thread to post this in!

I guess all the posts in this thread show the difference between praising and panning.
What is panning and praising?
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:This is the right thread to post this in!

What is panning and praising?
These are verbs which mean to criticise (usually something arts-based, like a TV gameshow) and to compliment respectively.

How very tedious.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jon O'Neill wrote: These are verbs which mean to criticise (usually something arts-based, like a TV gameshow) and to compliment respectively.

How very tedious.
Ah thanks. My education obviously wasn't as good as the education you get in Rainham.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Praising means complementing and panning means insulting.

You're right, Mr. O'Neill!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jason Larsen wrote:Praising means complementing
No, it means complimenting.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I spelled it right, Phil!
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Complement and compliment, though quite distinct in meaning, are sometimes confused because they are pronounced the same. As a noun, complement means "something that completes or brings to perfection" (The antique silver was a complement to the beautifully set table); used as a verb it means "to serve as a complement to." The noun compliment means "an expression or act of courtesy or praise" (They gave us a compliment on our beautifully set table), while the verb means "to pay a compliment to."
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Oh, I thought both spellings of "complement" were used interchangably, Matt!

Thank you for clearing that Up!
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jason Larsen wrote:I spelled it right, Phil!
Jason, if you'd spelled it right, I wouldn't have corrected you.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Ok, Phil.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

More reviews...

Kathryn Flett in The Observer: http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2009/ ... television

Hermione Eyre in The Independent: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 18554.html

The Western Mail, via a stocks-and-shares website(!): http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/vi ... id/2962244
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

From the Telegraph, Countdown ratings are slightly up on last year's average, football fans and lechers are credited, the fact that TV ratings peak in winter anyway is strangely overlooked: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... tings.html
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Same story from the Daily Mirror, with an odd choice of photo: http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/200 ... -21061050/

Channel 4 are spinning this well, but the fact remains that they're comparing ratings from one week in TV's peak season, following the show's biggest promotional push in years, with last year's average over the whole year.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

Jennifer Turner wrote:Channel 4 are spinning this well, but the fact remains that they're comparing ratings from one week in TV's peak season, following the show's biggest promotional push in years, with last year's average over the whole year.
In all these reports Channel 4 seems to be going out of its way to put the boot in about Carol leaving the show. It does seem a trifle mean-spirited.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Carol Vorderman says she has no intention of watching Countdown again, and has no desire to work on TV unless, y'know, someone pays her to: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... 160998.ece
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jennifer Turner wrote:Carol Vorderman says she has no intention of watching Countdown again, and has no desire to work on TV unless, y'know, someone pays her to: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... 160998.ece
Even the headline is wrong. I believe Carol talks to Damian fairly regularly, which doesn't really fit with "shunning" the show.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I understand Carol won't watch Countdown again, but I thought she said she was going to try like heck to continue her TV career.

I guess she has Damian's phone number, or something.
Pete Fraser

Post by Pete Fraser »

Jason Larsen wrote:I understand Carol won't watch Countdown again, but I thought she said she was going to try like heck to continue her TV career.
Didn't she say she was "only" going to do three major projects and a load of guest appearances this year? Which if anything would surely represent an increased workload.
I guess she has Damian's phone number, or something.
That, and the dirty photos. :lol:
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Great!
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Not particularly interesting, but the Southport Visiter (sic) catches up with two former contestants. Well, one former contestant and a former contestant's mum: http://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/views ... -22754244/
tonywarren
Rookie

Post by tonywarren »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Richard Brittain wrote:I guess this means that the two most popular Countdown champions in recent history are Conor Travers, and whoever it was that won Series 55. Interesting.
That's one way to look at it. Another would be to note that the top box office blockbuster of the time was Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan, which was (for the uninitiated) a comedy film about a ridiculous-looking and freakish idiot who, despite his lack of social skills and more by luck than judgement, makes it big on a wider stage. A high point of the film is his wrestling match with a large gentleman, conducted naked in a hotel room. So maybe this Series 55 final captured the zeitgeist.
maybe I would have had more luck in a wrestling match :lol:
Who says Morris dancing ain't cool...
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

tonywarren wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:
maybe I would have had more luck in a wrestling match :lol:
I would pay to find out.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Ah, this is more like a proper news story! Miffed Carol fan pours iced water over Helen Warner: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... _a_soaking

And the same story in the Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... venge.html
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jennifer Turner wrote:And the same story in the Daily Mail:
...except that according to the Mail the guy is a cameraman while the MEN tells us he is a TV producer, not to mention half-a-dozen other glaring discrepancies between the two reports. I don't know about the MEN, but the Mail routinely tells lies to sell papers to idiots so who knows what the truth of the story is.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Wow!
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Follow-up to the executive drenching story from the Daily Mail: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... prank.html
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

"Riley embarrassed by Countdown mistakes". I can't find the original story for this one online, so here's Digital Spy's second-hand version: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/a144800/ ... takes.html
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Fame at last for Steven Briers (that's not a valid conundrum, though): http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4087903 ... how_glory/
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jennifer Turner wrote:Fame at last for Steven Briers (that's not a valid conundrum, though): http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4087903 ... how_glory/
Apparently Steven will be hoping for "a few easy conundrums" in the final. Not unless there's been a sudden radical change to the format he won't be. And when did Countdown become a "quiz show"? Newspapers, sheesh.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:Apparently Steven will be hoping for "a few easy conundrums" in the final. Not unless there's been a sudden radical change to the format he won't be. And when did Countdown become a "quiz show"? Newspapers, sheesh.
Maybe he's hoping to be 10 behind going into the conundrum, and then going on to win it by solving "a few easy conundrums"? :P
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:
Phil Reynolds wrote:Apparently Steven will be hoping for "a few easy conundrums" in the final. Not unless there's been a sudden radical change to the format he won't be.
Maybe he's hoping to be 10 behind going into the conundrum, and then going on to win it by solving "a few easy conundrums"? :P
I love belonging to a board where there are actually people who can out-pedant me.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Phil Reynolds wrote:I love belonging to a board where there are actually people who can out-pedant me.
I thought you were gonna go for "that would be a couple, 'a few' means more than 2" angle (I don't know what the precise definition of 'a few' is, or even if there is one btw)
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Why does every Countdown photo have to make the subject look mega-nerdy?
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Jon Corby wrote:I thought you were gonna go for "that would be a couple, 'a few' means more than 2" angle
I was thinking that, from the position you described, there could be 3 or more conundrums to achieve an outright winner - but only if at least one wasn't solved, which means it wouldn't be deemed easy.
Phil Reynolds
Postmaster General

Post by Phil Reynolds »

Kai Laddiman wrote:Why does every Countdown photo have to make the subject look mega-nerdy?
Could the answer lie in the question?
Innis Carson
Devotee

Post by Innis Carson »

Phil Reynolds wrote: I was thinking that, from the position you described, there could be 3 or more conundrums to achieve an outright winner - but only if at least one wasn't solved, which means it wouldn't be deemed easy.
Maybe Steven wanted to mentally solve the conundrums for personal satisfaction but not buzz in, allowing 3 or more to take place.
Last edited by Innis Carson on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, it will be Steven and Charlie in the final game today! It should be an interesting game, and I feel well enough to watch it!

And how do we know Wogan's Perfect Recall will be renewed?
Robert Baxter
Acolyte

Post by Robert Baxter »

Jason Larsen wrote:How ironic that today is Des O'Connor's 77th birthday!
Must be trying not to retire because of Public sector pensions.
Contestant: Continent please, Rachel.
Rachel: Y.
Contestant: Because I want one!

For more info, see http://wiki.apterous.org/User:The_Doctor , and don't have a go at me a the F1 drivers series.

The 86th postingest forummer.

And I'm a :ugeek:.
Ryan Taylor
Postmaster General

Post by Ryan Taylor »

Robert you're going to have to stop doing this to me. When I see that something new has been posted in a topic I get a buzz but then I look across and see that the last post is by Robert Baxter and I'm always filled with disappointment. :cry:
Robert Baxter
Acolyte

Post by Robert Baxter »

Ryan Taylor wrote:Robert you're going to have to stop doing this to me. When I see that something new has been posted in a topic I get a buzz but then I look across and see that the last post is by Robert Baxter and I'm always filled with disappointment. :cry:
and....... :oops:
Contestant: Continent please, Rachel.
Rachel: Y.
Contestant: Because I want one!

For more info, see http://wiki.apterous.org/User:The_Doctor , and don't have a go at me a the F1 drivers series.

The 86th postingest forummer.

And I'm a :ugeek:.