A Word of Thanks

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

A Word of Thanks

Post by Noel Mc »

Hello All,

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this. I just wanted to put up a message of thanks to you all. I've had a super 2 or so years preparing for and taking part in Countdown. I always wanted to, so it's checked off my list, but I'm ready to move on.

It's been great being a quasi-part of such a brilliant group of people. Some of you I just played online (was spanked by most of you) and that was brilliant. Special thanks to Charlie for making the site, I would obviously not have done as well as I did without it!

I was fortunate to meet some of you in person, either at my finals or at CoC. Whilst you are all wonderfully bonkers, you made me feel very welcome. I hope I see you all again, but after Brexit, where I live may be bombed in to the ground,, so that may not happen! For the all too brief time I was with some of you though, it was super.

A huge thank you also to the Countdown team, you were so very welcoming and made the experience amazing for me. Somehow you made me come across as relatively likeable on TV, so well done!

At the risk of derailing this post, given the audience, let me tell you that I will keep you all in my prayers. If you're of the atheist persuasion, feel free to laugh at me talking to the voices in my head :) You're all amazing people, so don't change.

Many thanks,
Noel
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Re: A Word of Thanks

Post by Countdown Team »

Bless you, Noel.

Thanks for giving up your time to come and be part of the show. As Rachel rightly said, the best 4 large numbers player there has been. I wish you great success with everything you do and take good care of yourself mate. All the best again.

DE
Cathy Summerside

Post by Cathy Summerside »

Noel, I remember the time you 'went large' on a really easy numbers round just for the fun of it. That was great entertainment and the true spirit of Countdown. Wish I'd been there to see your CoC performance in person (quiet, you smutty lot!) but I look forward to seeing it on the small screen. Hope you're still teaching Maths. Thank you for your prayers: I will certainly remember you in mine. From another non-atheist Countdowner.
Toby McDonald
Kiloposter

Post by Toby McDonald »

Hi Noel,

Sorry to see you go so soon, but I guess we all have to at some point. It's been great to see you on TV and to play you on Apterous. And your 4L skills are impeccable! I'm sorry we couldn't meet at CoC, but I hope you got to show off your brilliant skills again. I look forward to seeing you on TV in January. Take care. :)
Callum Todd
Series 69 Champion

Post by Callum Todd »

Beautiful words Noel.

Was a true pleasure to meet you. Hope you stick around; our acquaintance has been all too brief.

Much love.
Mark Deeks wrote:Callum Todd looks like a young Ted Bundy.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Noel Mc wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:06 pm Hello All,

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this. I just wanted to put up a message of thanks to you all. I've had a super 2 or so years preparing for and taking part in Countdown. I always wanted to, so it's checked off my list, but I'm ready to move on.
Well, it was nice to read your 111 posts on here as well as your TV performances, and I'm looking forward to seeing you in the CoC.
Toby McDonald wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:12 pm Sorry to see you go so soon, but I guess we all have to at some point.
Some of us have a life sentence.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Sorry to see you go Noel but I understand. I loved seeing you on tv and I can't wait to see you in the coc!
Mark Murray
Series 70 Champion

Post by Mark Murray »

it was nice to meet you Noel and best of luck in whatever takes its place :)
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Noel, take care you beautiful soul. I shall just have to irritate you on other media instead..
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Noel,

It's been an absolute delight to know you as part of the community. As has been echoed above you're the greatest 4 large player there has ever been and the 925 numbers solve in your semi final will always remain an iconic moment. I have very fond memories of being soundly beaten in 4 large rounds where I thought my 1 or 2 away was respectable, only for you to produce an outrageously good on the nose solution. On top of this, you're a thoroughly nice person and it's a shame I've not yet got to meet you in person.

All the best in your future,

Elliott.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

It's a real shame to lose a true English patriot and humble servant of the Queen, but best of luck with everything (especially Pidgey's evolution).
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Noel Mc
Enthusiast

Post by Noel Mc »

:D
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Sorry to hear you'll be hanging up your Countdown boots, but completely understandable. It was good to share a series as well as a CoC together, I remember our epic tussles on Apterous well in the build up to the finals :D
Take care and good luck with your endeavours!
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Yeah great to briefly meet you, you were definitely 'kind of cool' in our weird group as you kept saying. You brought so much to the game. Top lad, good luck with all your shite :)
cheers maus