Susie coming to town!

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Ian Fitzpatrick
Devotee

Susie coming to town!

Post by Ian Fitzpatrick »

Quite a surprise over the weekend walking past our local theatre here in Wimborne to see a poster of Susie Dent looking out at me. She's on a tour with her show The Secret Lives of Words. As much as I admire Susie and like the sound of some of the content I'm not sure I could sit and listen to her for a couple of hours non-stop.
I thought I was good at Countdown until I joined this forum
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Re: Susie coming to town!

Post by Mark Deeks »

Heh, the tone of this post really went on a journey. It started so warm, so positive, and then...

Looked into going to this but there weren't any within 100 miles of my house, so alas.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Would recommend. Went to a talk by her at Huddersfield uni in May which wasn't this tour, she was a guest speaker of some language society, but it was a similar two hour thing. Genuinely was really interesting all the way through (was a lot better than a very long origins of words would be I imagine).

There's one of these in Ilkley which is pretty close to me but I don't know if I can be arsed paying over twenty quid for a ticket. The Huddersfield one was free, and they gave us wine and cake (albeit really messy and with no cutlery).
cheers maus
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Ah, Wimborne.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Speaking of Susie. Has anyone else ever felt that she's kind of underrated?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:57 pm Speaking of Susie. Has anyone else ever felt that she's kind of underrated?
No.

I think a lot of people think she's great anyway, and she became the sole lexicographer presumably because of this.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:53 pm
Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:57 pm Speaking of Susie. Has anyone else ever felt that she's kind of underrated?
No.

I think a lot of people think she's great anyway, and she became the sole lexicographer presumably because of this.
Yeah fair enough