Quantity of letter and number stacks

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Terence Mazon

Quantity of letter and number stacks

Post by Terence Mazon »

Hey all,

I've tried doing a search in the forums but maybe it's due to my English not being British English, but I can't seem to find the quantity of the consonants, vowels, large numbers and small numbers.

I want to make a home version that's small enough to be portable but bigger than the board game version. I just don't want to make too many X Q Z letters or not enough R S T L N E A etc.

Also, I've counted the slots for the numbers and it seems there's a set number of numbers that don't span to 10 twice. Do you know where I could find the quantities? (EDIT: There actually is. Think that answers my numbers question)

Thanks ahead everyone.

P.S. I also saw that they use magnets on the backs of the tiles. I caught it in one of the 8 out of 10 cats mashups!
Tom S
Kiloposter

Re: Quantity of letter and number stacks

Post by Tom S »

Hi Terence,

Welcome- not sure I can help you out with this subject, but am sure there'll be others who can :)
Bradley Horrocks
Acolyte

Post by Bradley Horrocks »

Hi Terence,

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9519&p=140469&hilit ... nt#p140469 is a good read if you want a rough guide, it is from 5 years ago but it's fair to assume not much has changed.

No one here knows the exact distribution of the letters on the show, but you can be confident that you'll get reasonably balanced selections if you use the link above as a guide.

From personal experience of doing Countdown tournaments which use the board game, I always find there are too many Is and Us. Possibly because they aren't always shuffled well!
"And PANTIES, thank you for that, that cheers us up enormously" - NH
Terence Mazon

Post by Terence Mazon »

Ah! I didn't search the word "distribution". Nice one.

This is perfect. I think it's probably easier to just model the home game stacks and go from there. The thread that you showed me so far has the vowels from the newer home game. I'll keep digging for the consonants unless someone else has that handy.

Thanks so much for all your help.
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Terence Mazon wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:39 pm Ah! I didn't search the word "distribution". Nice one.

This is perfect. I think it's probably easier to just model the home game stacks and go from there. The thread that you showed me so far has the vowels from the newer home game. I'll keep digging for the consonants unless someone else has that handy.

Thanks so much for all your help.
Oh I think I mentioned the consonants in that same post, they're

B 3
C 3
D 6
F 3
G 4
H 2
J 1
K 1
L 5
M 4
N 8
P 4
Q 1
R 9
S 9
T 9
V 2
W 2
Y 1
Z 1
cheers maus
Terence Mazon

Post by Terence Mazon »

Thanks for this. Are these quanities based off of the board game? or averages based on what was found during the different series?
Thomas Carey
Kiloposter

Post by Thomas Carey »

Terence Mazon wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:03 am Thanks for this. Are these quanities based off of the board game? or averages based on what was found during the different series?
Board game
cheers maus
Terence Mazon

Post by Terence Mazon »

Thomas Carey wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:00 pm Board game
Awesome. You're the king! And in celebration of what my English friends have taught me: "Thanks M8!" :D