Two points about number games

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Two points about number games

Post by Gavin Chipper »

1. Has anyone else noticed that at some point in the past (I can't remember when) the normally unobscured numbers started becoming obscured by Carol's head when she puts the rest of them up? How and why did this happen? I'm sure it never used to happen, so something must have changed.

2. Does anyone else think that the start of numbers games is a bit rushed? In letters games, you have all the time in the world to write down the letters as they come up, but in numbers games, Carol puts the numbers up very quickly and then almost immediately afterwards the target is selected. If you want to write the numbers down and are a bit slow on the uptake, you can easily get left behind, trying to see what the six numbers are with the clock already running. I would suggest that maybe Carol could put the number up a bit more slowly, or maybe Cecil could have a slightly longer inbuilt delay while choosing a target - just two or three seconds ought to be enough.
Ben Pugh
Enthusiast

Re: Two points about number games

Post by Ben Pugh »

Gevin-Gavin wrote:2. Does anyone else think that the start of numbers games is a bit rushed? In letters games, you have all the time in the world to write down the letters as they come up, but in numbers games, Carol puts the numbers up very quickly and then almost immediately afterwards the target is selected. If you want to write the numbers down and are a bit slow on the uptake, you can easily get left behind, trying to see what the six numbers are with the clock already running. I would suggest that maybe Carol could put the number up a bit more slowly, or maybe Cecil could have a slightly longer inbuilt delay while choosing a target - just two or three seconds ought to be enough.
Fixing a problem that doesn't really exist.
Jon O'Neill
Ginger Ninja

Post by Jon O'Neill »

Gevin-Gavin wrote:1. Has anyone else noticed that at some point in the past (I can't remember when) the normally unobscured numbers started becoming obscured by Carol's head when she puts the rest of them up? How and why did this happen? I'm sure it never used to happen, so something must have changed.
She got taller?
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Ginger Jono wrote:
Gevin-Gavin wrote:1. Has anyone else noticed that at some point in the past (I can't remember when) the normally unobscured numbers started becoming obscured by Carol's head when she puts the rest of them up? How and why did this happen? I'm sure it never used to happen, so something must have changed.
She got taller?
Nah, stilts.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

The letters and numbers are visible on a small monitor embedded into the set, so it isn't vital to write them down. I must admit that I've often solved the easiest games before the 30 seconds have started.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

I have noticed that, Carol sometimes stands in front of the leftmost number while announcing the target. I don't think there's been a set rejig so maybe it's just a new habit. I wonder whether our Friends In High Places could ask her to stand a bit more to one side for the benefit of people playing at home. A trivial matter no doubt but surely more relevant than the Okeydokeygate scandal, and look what happened with that!
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Martin Smith wrote:The letters and numbers are visible on a small monitor embedded into the set, so it isn't vital to write them down. I must admit that I've often solved the easiest games before the 30 seconds have started.
But with harder games it can help to wrote them down. Oh are you just talking about for contestants? Well, people like to play along at home!
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

I've sometimes wondered why you can't select the numbers individually as you go along, like you do with the letters.
Craig Beevers
Series 57 Champion

Post by Craig Beevers »

I vaguely recall that if you sit in the challenger's chair you can see the number she's putting up that would be otherwise obscured by her on the monitor or your view from the champion's chair.

So you could say you're getting a very slight advantage seeing each number earlier if you're sat in the challenger's chair.

But I'm sure there are more important things to worry about.
Stuart Earl
Rookie

Post by Stuart Earl »

Craig Beevers wrote:But I'm sure there are more important things to worry about.
Absolutely! Only one okey-dokey today (Monday) - we're due a barrage of them soon, he won't be able to contain himself... ;)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Craig Beevers wrote:But I'm sure there are more important things to worry about.
No! Never!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

What numbers are considered unobscured?
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

2. Does anyone else think that the start of numbers games is a bit rushed? In letters games, you have all the time in the world to write down the letters as they come up, but in numbers games, Carol puts the numbers up very quickly and then almost immediately afterwards the target is selected. If you want to write the numbers down and are a bit slow on the uptake, you can easily get left behind, trying to see what the six numbers are with the clock already running. I would suggest that maybe Carol could put the number up a bit more slowly, or maybe Cecil could have a slightly longer inbuilt delay while choosing a target - just two or three seconds ought to be enough.

Yeah - absolutely. I'll have a word with Cecil and see if he's willing to compromise and slow down a bit for you.

Now, where did i leave those tranquilisers?
Martin Gardner
Kiloposter

Post by Martin Gardner »

Jason Larsen wrote:What numbers are considered unobscured?
If you can see them, they're not obscured!

Martin
If you cut a gandiseeg in half, do you get two gandiseegs or two halves of a gandiseeg?
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I was round someone else's house the other day and they complained about Carol's head. Back of the net.
Jon Corby
Moral Hero

Post by Jon Corby »

Gevin-Gavin wrote:I was round someone else's house the other day and they complained about Carol's head.
Must...resist....