New contestant '18

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Marty Dunlop

New contestant '18

Post by Marty Dunlop »

Hey yall,

So I've managed to apply and be accepted onto the show, filming in the next two weeks for my first game.
I'm fortunate enough to work from home on occasion so can happily watch the show at 2.20, test my abilities.

To be fair, I'm more prone to getting 4 letter words than 6 or 7, and get within 5 of the target number for sums. Needless to say I'll be revising and upgrading my skills in the next couple of weeks before the show.

Really just wanted to join the community here, it's great something carries on after the show.

Marty
Martin Hurst
Series 75 Champion

Re: New contestant '18

Post by Martin Hurst »

Great - good luck mate on the show, and welcome!

If you haven't discovered Apterous yet, it is by far the best place to practice - www.apterous.org

Looking forward to seeing you on the telly 8-)
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Hi Marty, great news that you have been selected to appear and I wish you the very best of luck with it. Martin has offered stellar advice above and if you are very serious about appearing then it definitely is a good shout and can definitely improve your ability. Also, another webpage to use is greem.co.uk/cgi-bin/crapterous/stemmer.py (particularly recommend looking at RELATION, NOTARISE, URINATES). Am also in the application process and am just intrigued as to when you sent your application off and the time which it took for you to get this process sorted out.
Best wishes!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Greetings Marty, congrats on being selected to appear! :)

I'd definitely get yourself onto apterous as others have said, and use the features there to learn the more common stems (particularly learn things such as 8 letter words that stem with all vowels - ANGRIEST and SONICATE being 2 examples). It's a really great site for practise and I'd really hit it hard, there's usually people on to play so you can properly play against humans in a real life situation.

Hope to see you on there very soon, I'm up for a game or 2 if you come on :)
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Tom S wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:32 pm Hi Marty, great news that you have been selected to appear and I wish you the very best of luck with it. Martin has offered stellar advice above and if you are very serious about appearing then it definitely is a good shout and can definitely improve your ability. Also, another webpage to use is greem.co.uk/cgi-bin/crapterous/stemmer.py (particularly recommend looking at RELATION, NOTARISE, URINATES). Am also in the application process and am just intrigued as to when you sent your application off and the time which it took for you to get this process sorted out.
Best wishes!
Though, when using said stemmer here, be warned it's rather out of date and all the new additions aren't on there.
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Welcome to C4C and apterous Marty
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover