Paul Gallen

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Paul Gallen

Post by Charlie Reams »

As Paul mentioned rather modestly elsewhere on here, he's turned his attention to Scrabble over the last few years, and today scored his first major success by becoming Northern Ireland's first national champion. He edged out this group's founding father Stewart Holden, who finished second, and a variety of others who've appeared on Countdown over the years. Congrats Paul, hopefully this is the first of many!
Julian Fell
Series 48 Champion

Re: Paul Gallen

Post by Julian Fell »

Ah well done to him, great stuff.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Yes, nice to see that the first Northern Irish champ is a native. Judging from what little I know about Paul I imagine a helluva lot of work has gone into this success so well done!
Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor »

Congratulations, very well done.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Charlie Reams wrote:As Paul mentioned rather modestly elsewhere on here, he's turned his attention to Scrabble over the last few years, and today scored his first major success by becoming Northern Ireland's first national champion. He edged out this group's founding father Stewart Holden, who finished second, and a variety of others who've appeared on Countdown over the years. Congrats Paul, hopefully this is the first of many!
First of all, congratulations to Paul. Secondly, does this mean the renowned water-sipper Mr Holden is Irish? Or did he slip in under the 'maternal grandfather' rule as often used in football? Just curious, really.

Mike.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Mike Brown wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote:As Paul mentioned rather modestly elsewhere on here, he's turned his attention to Scrabble over the last few years, and today scored his first major success by becoming Northern Ireland's first national champion. He edged out this group's founding father Stewart Holden, who finished second, and a variety of others who've appeared on Countdown over the years. Congrats Paul, hopefully this is the first of many!
First of all, congratulations to Paul. Secondly, does this mean the renowned water-sipper Mr Holden is Irish? Or did he slip in under the 'maternal grandfather' rule as often used in football? Just curious, really.

Mike.
I'm pretty sure he was there for the Guinness.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Mike Brown wrote:

Mike.
I think basically anyone can enter, as is the case with the American and British nationals.
James Hurrell
Acolyte

Post by James Hurrell »

Well done Paul, great stuff. Wow! I played Phil Robertshaw during my run, I didn't realise he was so high up in the scrabble world. I think I got lucky.
Martin Smith
Acolyte

Post by Martin Smith »

Congrats to Paul. Now we just need David to take Scrabble up and give him some rivalry for the Province's best player.
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

Martin Smith wrote:Congrats to Paul. Now we just need David to take Scrabble up and give him some rivalry for the Province's best player.

:D Not bloodly likely.