COC timeline

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

COC timeline

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

Hmmm, there used to be a very nice pattern with Countdown's "Championship of Champion" tournaments... i.e. they would put one on after every 4 series. This was a sensible system.

Once we hit the 21st century, things went pear shaped.
2003's COCXI contained competitors from 7 series (seems like an awkward number to work with)
Since then the frequency of COC has been inconsistent. Nowadays they span 6 series, or sometimes 7. (You could argue that 2013's 30th birthday thing was a glorified COC as it contained 16 players from S60-66... who would have been due to compete in the next COC anyway.)

So, a question for those of you who truly love COC... do you expect the next one to occur just after Series 78?
Or has the system become so haphazard that we're not guaranteed another one at all?

[I wonder why the timeline has become less consistent since 2003...]
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Re: COC timeline

Post by Matt Morrison »

I'm sure there were a million posts about it before, especially in the run up to the announcement of the 30th thing. I think generally it was a case of the rise of apterous meaning that COCs are now dominated by players that are so good they alienate the show's core audience?

I could be wrong but that's what I vaguely remember. I guess they are less appealing to TV execs now to have to go through the hassle of arranging.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Yeah, that's it Matt. I've seen old posts where it was basically said a good amount of viewers don't want to sit through a few weeks of lexo-nerds coming up with loads of obscure words and absolutely obliterating them when they try to play along - they want to actually stand a chance of winning or at least being close when watching. The odd amazing player in a series makes for good viewing in general and people will admire them, but a few weeks might be tiring for some people.

Because of that, it seems that COCs are a lot more spread out now, but I wouldn't really expect one to happen at all. All depends what the producer and that decide to do.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Elliott Mellor wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:09 pmAll depends what the producer and that decide to do.
If that is true it's a disappointing state of play.
I would argue that the programme and its legacy trumps the whims of any current production set-up, or at least it should.

It makes little sense to put blame on Apterous for the trend of C4 hosting Championship of Champions tournaments less frequently. They first fell out of favour in the period between 1999-2003, a good 5 years before Apterous came into being. More likely this is about changing trends in the world of TV, and assumptions about the viewership and their preferences, than about changes in the calibre of contestant. The top echelon (i.e. those worthy of COC) have always been well above the level of the average viewer. That's not new.
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:47 pm
Elliott Mellor wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:09 pmAll depends what the producer and that decide to do.
I would argue that the programme and its legacy trumps the whims of any current production set-up, or at least it should.

It makes little sense to put blame on Apterous for the trend of C4 hosting Championship of Champions tournaments less frequently. They first fell out of favour in the period between 1999-2003, a good 5 years before Apterous came into being. More likely this is about changing trends in the world of TV, and assumptions about the viewership and their preferences, than about changes in the calibre of contestant. The top echelon (i.e. those worthy of COC) have always been well above the level of the average viewer. That's not new.
Well, surely everything is up to the producer and the team lol.

I think apterous certainly accounts for the rise in standard, so it could be considered a factor imo.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

A CofC is something we decide upon whenever there's a core nucleus of worthy participants. As a rule, we tend to do CofC for transmission when it's the start of the year, so as to minimise the interruptions from racing, carpet bowls, tennis,the world bagpipes championships or whatever stuff tends to get in our way.

Winning a series guarantees nothing, nor does being a finalist. The fact is, when you take part for the first time, you're very much an unknown quantity to those who work on the show. If you are a great Countdown player, but you're also consumed by the pestilence of hate, arrogance, homophobia, racism, unkindness, lack of grace to fellow competitors and general unpleasantness, then you won't be asked back.

We don't have whims, it's a professional set-up. The next CofC will be whenever the ugly freak who runs the show decides upon it. Could be 2018, could be never, and the invitees will be asked back based upon the true meaning of the word 'champion' - which extends far beyond playing letters and numbers games.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Elliott Mellor wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:29 pmWell, surely everything is up to the producer and the team lol.
Well, yeah... You're right of course. :oops:
But they wouldn't be completely unaccountable at the same time.
The viewership and broadcaster would have some sway.

Countdown Team wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:11 pmIf you are a great Countdown player, but you're also consumed by the pestilence of hate, arrogance, homophobia, racism, unkindness, lack of grace to fellow competitors and general unpleasantness, then you won't be asked back.
Interesting one. I had no idea things were done in that sort of a way. It sounds noble in principle... kind of. I had assumed that players would be invited to COCs based on merit alone (i.e. results-wise). It does make sense to exclude someone who has been involved in criminality, but aside from that, you'd expect the ethos would be: accept all comers without prejudice. It would make you wonder how arbitrary the criteria for exclusion are, and to what extent an excluded party would have a right of reply?

I would have expected, assuming the next COC happens after S79 and thus covers the last 7 series, that the two finalists from each of the series be initially asked back, along with two other notable players (either high seeds, or likeable characters that the TV audience warmed to... e.g. Wes J)

In one breath:-
Countdown Team wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:11 pm We don't have whims.

In the next:-
Countdown Team wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:11 pm The next CofC will be whenever the ugly freak who runs the show decides upon it.
You're a funny (wo)man, Countdown Team, I'll give you that! ;)
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

A tad unrelated, but given I've only recently got into countdown, I've never seen any CofC matches, or any of the classics games of the past. I really can't wait to watch one, so I really hope they aren't giving them up!

Is there anywhere I can find some of the old episodes? I've looked around online, even in some more 'fruity' places, but haven't found anything. :'(
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Countdown Team wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:11 pm

A CofC is something we decide upon whenever there's a core nucleus of worthy participants. As a rule, we tend to do CofC for transmission when it's the start of the year, so as to minimise the interruptions from racing, carpet bowls, tennis,the world bagpipes championships or whatever stuff tends to get in our way.

Winning a series guarantees nothing, nor does being a finalist. The fact is, when you take part for the first time, you're very much an unknown quantity to those who work on the show. If you are a great Countdown player, but you're also consumed by the pestilence of hate, arrogance, homophobia, racism, unkindness, lack of grace to fellow competitors and general unpleasantness, then you won't be asked back.

We don't have whims, it's a professional set-up. The next CofC will be whenever the ugly freak who runs the show decides upon it. Could be 2018, could be never, and the invitees will be asked back based upon the true meaning of the word 'champion' - which extends far beyond playing letters and numbers games.
Just a thought, with the Darts disrupting January Countdown nowadays, are we more likely to see any future CoC's in the summer?
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Overwhelming whiff of CoC about these days.
Must be one coming soon...
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

Countdown Team wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:11 pm

I take it Craig Beevers won't be on any time soon then 😂
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

All being well, CofC will be filmed in October '18, with the plan being that it airs in Jan '19.
16 players, 3 weeks on-screen.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Nice.
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Should be brilliant. Loads of Countdown Family players coming back, the very best, and deservedly so.
We can't wait for it.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Could we maybe have a list of who'll be in it? If people don't want spoilers or anything you could just send it to me privately? Nobody who's in s79 would be in it right? Like how nobody from s73 was in the last one?
Dan Byrom
Acolyte

Post by Dan Byrom »

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D Get to watch my first CoC! Excited!

(P.S. anyone know anywhere I can watch CoC XIV or 30th birthday...?)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Dan Byrom wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:59 pm :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Get to watch my first CoC! Excited!

(P.S. anyone know anywhere I can watch CoC XIV or 30th birthday...?)
In July a British gameshow service is coming. It's called IQTV. I think they'll be available on it. It's gonna be my first coc on tv too!
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

The 16 competitors for CoC XV will be as follows:-

Series winners:-
1. Jonathan Wynn [S73]
2. Paul Erdunast [S74]
3. Martin Hurst [S75]
4. Stephen Read [S76]
5. Tom Chafer-Cook [S77]
6. Probably Zarte Siempre [S78]

Series Runners-up:-
7. Matthew Tassier [S73]
8. Ann Dibben [S74]
9. Andrew Macleod [S75]
10. Moose Rosser [S76]
11. Bradley Horrocks [S77]
12. Most likely one of Philip Aston or Toby McDonald [S78]

Other notable Semi-finalists:-
13. Thomas Carey [S73]
14. Robin McKay [S74]
15. Annie Humphries [S76]
16. John Cowen [S77]

---------------------------------

So there's your line-up... give or take a few minor changes.
Some contestants (perhaps e.g. Moose) may not accept the invite.
Some less memorable high scoring contestants may not get an invite.

If there are any curve balls to be thrown into the mix (based on production staff whims ;)) expect these notable contestants as possible additions (listed in decreasing order of likelihood):-
1. Wesley Jardine
2. Jeff Clayton
3. Whichever of Philip Aston or Toby McDonald misses the S78 final.
4. Noel McIlvenny
5. Stephen Fuller
6. Michael Pfeffer
7. Liam Moloney
8. Tim Down
9. Matty Artell
10. Andrew Fenton
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

I don't think you're probably a million miles off, but it's interesting you haven't mentioned Stephen Briggs or Conrad Teixeira, who I'd probably put above some of those you have mentioned.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Good point... I'd agree that anyone who made the 800 club over the last 3 years or so is in with a realistic shot of some CoC action... so Conrad and Stephen are good shouts, but I wouldn't bet my house on their inclusion.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

I do not think Robin has been invited. John Cowen said that Noel will also be present in the CoC and that the 4 from S77 featured will be: Tom, Bradley, John and Noel.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

I heard about those from my series too... but are you sure that all four are partaking?
There are usually some back-up players invited in case of drop outs...
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:27 pm I heard about those from my series too... but are you sure that all four are partaking?
There are usually some back-up players invited in case of drop outs...
Hint hint ;)
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:04 pm Good point... I'd agree that anyone who made the 800 club over the last 3 years or so is in with a realistic shot of some CoC action... so Conrad and Stephen are good shouts, but I wouldn't bet my house on their inclusion.
Well no, but some in your "reserve" list didn't even make the semi-finals, and have no particular reason to be there above these players.
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Owen Carroll wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:32 pm Could we maybe have a list of who'll be in it? If people don't want spoilers or anything you could just send it to me privately? Nobody who's in s79 would be in it right? Like how nobody from s73 was in the last one?
It is all Series 73 to 78 players
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Tom S wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:35 am
Owen Carroll wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:32 pm Could we maybe have a list of who'll be in it? If people don't want spoilers or anything you could just send it to me privately? Nobody who's in s79 would be in it right? Like how nobody from s73 was in the last one?
Yes, they're having to extend it by quite a bit to accommodate for the very large number of contestants :lol:
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:43 am
Yes, they're having to extend it by quite a bit to accommodate for the very large number of contestants :lol:
I couldn't be faffed to change it after noticing I wrote it ;)
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

By extend it you mean put it on hold right?
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Cool
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Owen Carroll wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:04 pm

By extend it you mean put it on hold right? And what do you mean large number of contestants? Isn't it the same as usual? 16?
Tom S
Kiloposter

Post by Tom S »

Elliott is responding to my accidental slip of the keyboard, he is solely joking around.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Tom S wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:12 pm

Elliott is responding to my accidental slip of the keyboard, he is solely joking around.
K
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:26 pm The 16 competitors for CoC XV will be as follows:-

Series winners:-
1. Jonathan Wynn [S73]
2. Paul Erdunast [S74]
3. Martin Hurst [S75]
4. Stephen Read [S76]
5. Tom Chafer-Cook [S77]
6. Probably Zarte Siempre [S78]

Series Runners-up:-
7. Matthew Tassier [S73]
8. Ann Dibben [S74]
9. Andrew Macleod [S75]
10. Moose Rosser [S76]
11. Bradley Horrocks [S77]
12. Most likely one of Philip Aston or Toby McDonald [S78]

Other notable Semi-finalists:-
13. Thomas Carey [S73]
14. Robin McKay [S74]
15. Annie Humphries [S76]
16. John Cowen [S77]

So there's your line-up... give or take a few minor changes.
Some contestants (perhaps e.g. Moose) may not accept the invite.
Some less memorable high scoring contestants may not get an invite.

If there are any curve balls to be thrown into the mix (based on production staff whims ;)) expect these notable contestants as possible additions (listed in decreasing order of likelihood):-
1. Wesley Jardine
2. Jeff Clayton
3. Whichever of Philip Aston or Toby McDonald misses the S78 final.
4. Noel McIlvenny
5. Stephen Fuller
6. Michael Pfeffer
7. Liam Moloney
8. Tim Down
9. Matty Artell
10. Andrew Fenton
Yeah I had a feeling moose mightn't show up for the coc! Dunno why cause I thought he enjoyed it. Anyone else think he was a slightly sore loser?
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:56 pm
Yeah I had a feeling moose mightn't show up for the coc! Dunno why cause I thought he enjoyed it. Anyone else think he was a slightly sore loser?
No.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:52 am
No.
K
Countdown Team
Acolyte

Post by Countdown Team »

Elliott Mellor wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:52 am
No.
A sore loser? Hmmm.
Don't think so. Keep on with your conspiracy theories though.
Last edited by Countdown Team on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

I don't appreciate being called a dickhead for giving my opinion but so you know I got over that and saw that moose was fine with losing. So I'm sorry.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

And I hope he does show up for the coc cause I like moose
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

And I hope he does show up for the coc cause I like moose. He seems like a good guy I 100% take back what I said.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:02 pm And I hope he does show up for the coc cause I like moose. He seems like a good guy I 100% take back what I said.
When I put up the exclamation mark after saying I thought he mightn't show up, I hope none of you's thought I was hoping that he wouldn't
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

I wonder if the length of the series has any effect on how many people from that series get invited? Series 77 ran for 116 prelims, for example, whereas Series 74 ran for 85.

I don't know who has and hasn't been invited, but I do hope Annie Humphries was/is invited back. I'm probably going to word this clumsily, for which I apologise, but she made for great television and was an exceptional ambassador for those with laryngitis. Oh, and she's pretty good, too.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Rhys Benjamin wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:02 pm I wonder if the length of the series has any effect on how many people from that series get invited? Series 77 ran for 116 prelims, for example, whereas Series 74 ran for 85.

I don't know who has and hasn't been invited, but I do hope Annie Humphries was/is invited back. I'm probably going to word this clumsily, for which I apologise, but she made for great television and was an exceptional ambassador for those with laryngitis. Oh, and she's pretty good, too.
Don't think it's laryngitis though.
Rhys Benjamin
Postmaster General

Post by Rhys Benjamin »

Gavin Chipper wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:46 pm
Rhys Benjamin wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:02 pm I wonder if the length of the series has any effect on how many people from that series get invited? Series 77 ran for 116 prelims, for example, whereas Series 74 ran for 85.

Don't think it's laryngitis though.
I thought it was, but the point stands.
The forum's resident JAILBAKER, who has SPONDERED several times...
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Is there anybody on here that's participating in it?
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

Nah, there are no winners or runners-up from the last 6 series on this forum.
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Jennifer Steadman wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:49 am Nah, there are no winners or runners-up from the last 6 series on this forum.
Yeah there are
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Owen Carroll wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:48 pm
Jennifer Steadman wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:49 am Nah, there are no winners or runners-up from the last 6 series on this forum.
Yeah there are
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:03 am
Owen Carroll wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:48 pm
Yeah there are
Oh. Well like I always say, sarcasm is hard to see in a text Leonard
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Is the transmission scheduled to start on 7 January?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Doesn't say. Just says January 2019
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:32 am Is the transmission scheduled to start on 7 January?
Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:27 am Doesn't say. Just says January 2019
I wouldn't put it past it being delayed until 14 January, due to a certain World Darts Championship that Channel 4 show.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

James Robinson wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:45 pm
Johnny Canuck wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:32 am Is the transmission scheduled to start on 7 January?
Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:27 am Doesn't say. Just says January 2019
I wouldn't put it past it being delayed until 14 January, due to a certain World Darts Championship that Channel 4 show.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
You're right. My money's on Zarte winning it. Probably everyone else's too.
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:27 am You're right. My money's on Zarte winning it. Probably everyone else's too.
Only if Phil Taylor has definitely retired.
Owen Carroll
Devotee

Post by Owen Carroll »

Fred Mumford wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:58 am
Owen Carroll wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:27 am You're right. My money's on Zarte winning it. Probably everyone else's too.
Only if Phil Taylor has definitely retired.
Who's Phil Taylor?
Fred Mumford
Enthusiast

Post by Fred Mumford »

16-ish times world darts champion. Having said that, you were probably referring to the BDO darts championship, so maybe Zarte does have a fair shout after all.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Is it confirmed that C4 still has that in 2019? I thought Series 78's page said it was the "last time" darts would interrupt Countdown.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:24 pm
Is it confirmed that C4 still has that in 2019? I thought Series 78's page said it was the "last time" darts would interrupt Countdown.
I know that Sky made a bid for Countdown, but I think it was turned down.
James Robinson
Post-apocalypse

Post by James Robinson »

Johnny Canuck wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:24 pm
Who knows, but the organisers at the BDO are a complete shambles at the moment, so anything is possible... :roll: :roll: :roll: