Countdown in the pub

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Countdown in the pub

Post by Andy Wilson »

Hello. Long time, i hope you're all great. Brief anecdote i feel like sharing.

I moved house a year ago to the other side of town. Cork is a tiny city. I can walk from my house to my old local in 25 minutes, but that's a little too much of a stagger home, so i found a new one down the road. It's called The Friary (Shandon St./North Mall) in case you happen to visit, and it's a fun, friendly, stimulating safe environment with much variety from music and spoken word events to human chess (yep), a brilliant yet fiendishly difficult quiz (hosted by a Sheffield lad who does a Reeves and Mortimer inspired music round) and generally just craic. You can see 5 bridges from the door, 6 if you look around the corner. It used to be the "Afrobar" (Shandon St. has attracted a big African community over the last 20 odd years) and the proprietor was running a brothel upstairs. But that's all in the past now and he's gone to prison.

So, i was working late last night but popped in for a night cap and to see who had won the quiz (only one week left in the league and it's still wide open) and i sat at the bar and had a nice yap. Rakesh, always lovely regular, came down from upstairs to get a pint and explained that he and a few others were upstairs playing countdown. As they have a dedicated games night and are always trying new games, i assumed that this was some new board / card game and didn't think twice about it, until half an hour later, down they came with countdown, the board game. The one and only.

This is now officially without question the best pub in Cork, if not the world. If you're in Cork and feel like a game of countdown, you know where to go, the board game is behind the bar, just ask. I'll probably be sat at it. Still rocking the ginger beard. Say hello. Having never been to a co:event i'm not really in a position to run one, but, if anyone wants to come over and help me, we have the perfect venue.
L'oisleatch McGraw
Devotee

Re: Countdown in the pub

Post by L'oisleatch McGraw »

CO:CO!!! :D

That would be the best...
Cork would be a brilliant spot for a co:event.
If it happens, count me in...
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: S:778-ochamp
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Awesome anecdote. Welcome back!
Elliott Mellor
Devotee

Post by Elliott Mellor »

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:58 pm Cork would be a brilliant spot for a co:event.
Crikey...I thought the standard was higher than that...if Cork's considered a good spot I'm obviously mistaken...
Edward Byrne
Rookie

Post by Edward Byrne »

if you are up for a trip to Dublin on October 21st, you should come along to Countdown in Dublin, attracts about 30 people from all over Ireland and the UK. I host it. would be good to have you along.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Cheers Edward. I'd love to. I'll try and make it. I am a dub after all so i can stay at my mother's.

Something bad happen to you in Cork Eliott?
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Update on this - they are planning a 'Cross dressing countdown' event, mainly because one of the bar staff likes dressing up and they're all a bit mad. He's gonna host it, and there will be a penguin in dictionary corner apparently, mainly because they have a big penguin costume somewhere. I gather there will be multiple teams, it's gonna be like a pub quiz. Only countdown. In drag. There's no date set yet but if anyone is interested in such an event let me know!
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

Ha! Loz and I have been in Cork City since Sunday and we walked past this pub today. We had no idea it was a hotbed of Countdown and quizzing.)

(Sadly, it's our last night in Cork, so we won't be able to pay a visit. A shame I didn't see this thread earlier.)
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Oh no! So sad to only learn this now!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Hope you enjoyed Cork anyway. Be interested to hear what you made of it.
Matt Bayfield
Devotee

Post by Matt Bayfield »

I've been a fan of the Frank & Walters for years, so I'd always wanted to visit Cork City. (Yes, I got a picture in front of the mural on the old Kino...)

We liked Cork - it seems to have pretty vibrant sports, arts, and social scenes. We got chatting to a couple of folks who had turned one of the donut shops into a pop-up vegan cafe for two weeks - and regardless of anyone's eating preferences - I like people who are proud to have a go at projects they believe in. Some nice touches of individuality too elsewhere across town - where else in the world are you going to get a Depeche Mode themed cafe? Now if only we'd known about the board games sooner (which kinda reinforces my impressions about the social scene)!
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Yeah, donut shops. That's Cork at the minute. Sigh.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

'one of the donut shops'

Can i ask, is this happening everywhere or is it just us? One poor girl i saw parading on emmet place a few Sundays back in a sandwich, or donut board bearing the name of the establishment: 'Sticky Fingers'.
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Hmm. I don't see tons of donut shops popping up here in London. But then this is London. Everything that pops up these days is hipster as fuck, and desserts do well in this category.

This year there have been notable rushes on bubble wrap waffles, candy floss-wrapped ice creams, and mermaid meringue ice creams.

Hell I even took a bunch of apto-folk to a fucking crisp restaurant a while back. Donuts are so passé.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Doughnuts, right? You wouldn't get donuts past Susie Dent.

Yeah yeah, because she'd eat them.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Dent kind of sounds like doughnut gotten through really quickly, so yeah, story checks out.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Just pleased to see a Deeks post in this thread that didn't involve telling me off re: Hipchips. ;-)
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

Thought about it. Decided I had eviscerated you sufficiently on the day that you'll have learnt your lesson. I can go for another round if you want though. The hate still burns within.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

Please no :'(
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

My work here is done.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

(soz)
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

So, yeah, they come up with silly ideas at The Friary and it causes great amusement over a beer. Then they do them and it causes great amusement over a few beers! Anyone in Cork Saturday week? Sadly i'm away. And they've asked me to be a penguin and all. Shucks.

Matt Morrison
Post-apocalypse

Post by Matt Morrison »

That's wonderful.
Marc Meakin
Post-apocalypse

Post by Marc Meakin »

That's ridiculous, 8.30 is far too early
GR MSL GNDT MSS NGVWL SRND NNLYC NNCT
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

Just realised that Co:Dub happened on the same day. Gas.
Andy Wilson
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Wilson »

So, this is happening again on the 14th April. Short notice i know, but if anyone fancies a trip to Cork hit me up and i'll sort you out with decent cheap accommodation around the corner. It'd be cool to have a few countdowners in, and last i heard the position of 'Carol Vorderman, dressed as a penguin' was still going.