Set designs and opening sequences over the years

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Stewart Gordon
Enthusiast

Set designs and opening sequences over the years

Post by Stewart Gordon »

Has anybody kept track of these?

It would be good to have a full list, or as near to a full list as we can, of the various sets and title sequences and the range of series for which each was used. And maybe start a page or two on the wiki....
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Set designs and opening sequences over the years

Post by Johnny Canuck »

As far as I know, there have been 8 sets used since the show began:
1. Original purplish set with grid of squares in background (Series 1-17)
2. Short-lived set with wooden panels behind letters/numbers board (Series 18-21, probably Countdown Masters too)
3. Wings set -- reddish-pink background (Series 22-30)
4. Wings set -- grey background (Series 31-41, Celebrity Countdown)
5. Wings set -- orange background (Series 42-48)
6. Set with pink, vertically striped wallpaper (Series 49-59)
7. Original blue set (Series 60-76, 8/10 Cats)
8. New blue set with red and brown accents (Series 77-, 8/10 Cats)

There have been a few minor variations made to the sets over the years; for example, during Series 33, the grey Wings set had a yellow "Supreme Championship" header added over the clock, and I know that the wooden panel set used at least three different fonts/colour schemes on the tiles during its tenure.

I think there have been 9-10 different opening sequences. I'll do a bit of digging through YouTube and try to post links to as many as I can.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

I'm sure 'Champion of Champions' headers were placed over the clock during CoCs up to and including CoCX.
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Ben Wilson wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:00 pm I'm sure 'Champion of Champions' headers were placed over the clock during CoCs up to and including CoCX.
Yep, this too. Also, during the 25th birthday special in 2007, the number "25" was superimposed on the clock and various other areas of the studio.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.