Letter Distribution

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Noel Mc
Rookie

Letter Distribution

Post by Noel Mc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:34 am

Apologies if this has been discussed somewhere else. I'm sure it has, but I'm too lazy to search for it.

Regarding the letter tiles used:
I know that you there are more common letters than uncommon. Am I right in assuming they have two piles of consonants and vowels used per episode? They don't shuffle halfway through or after each round?

Is it likely to assume, that there would only be, for example 1/2 Qs in a whole episode?

Is the distribution on apterous very accurate? I sometimes think it might be too generous at times? I've played on the app and some other sites and they yield very tricky selections more often than not. I know that no official distribution has been released, but I'm assuming some of the clever people on here have analysed enough episodes!

sean d
Acolyte

Re: Letter Distribution

Post by sean d » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:35 am

Here's a good analysis of the letter distribution from 2013
http://www.c4countdown.co.uk/viewtopic. ... 82#p140469

This has been discussed before and I think the consensus was that the distribution on the show may not be entirely random (by which I mean it look like patterns of repeated letters are actively avoided, rather than any wide scale massaging of the selections) and may be a tad kinder than Apterous or a truly random selection.

Also, I believe there's one pile of letters which is not replaced or shuffled during the show, so you should see a max of one Q, X or J in a game, but I'm open to correction.

Noel Mc
Rookie

Re: Letter Distribution

Post by Noel Mc » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:43 am

That's super, cheers!