So, who will be the founding member of Countdown's "1000 CLUB"?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Tom S
Enthusiast

Re: So, who will be the founding member of Countdown's "1000 CLUB"?

Post by Tom S » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:05 pm

"JE" is of an ability to do so, likewise a few others like Matt Hall and of course Elliott- thinking of potential top players who could make an appearance at some point inbetween the next year or so....

Elliott Mellor
Enthusiast

Post by Elliott Mellor » Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:08 pm

Tom S wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:05 pm
"JE" is of an ability to do so, likewise a few others like Matt Hall and of course Elliott- thinking of potential top players who could make an appearance at some point inbetween the next year or so....
Ability is one thing, accomplishment of such a goal is another. I don't think it's very likely 1000 will be done - it's such a high barrier and to achieve it would require not only a very high level of skill but also a ridiculous amount of luck.

I played a mocktorun earlier and got 972, 98 maxes, 91% of the max score. Admittedly you could argue that at my absolute best I might have pushed 1000 but then you've got to consider that prune won't nick rounds off me, nor choose in a particularly horrible way, pick 4 large or whatever. To get 91+% and a similar number of maxes is harder on the show for sure. Especially as now with the new dictionary you could have opponents who just get lucky and guess some feasible sounding word and have it accepted because the new dictionary just basically allows all sorts of rubbish, all in all it doesn't make 1000 sound very doable at all.

I think 974 might just about be beatable, but the chances of 1000 being done are quite slim indeed.

Conor
Series 54 Champion

Post by Conor » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:46 pm

L'oisleatch McGraw wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:39 pm
Conor wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:18 am
won't happen
If you wanna put your money where your mouth is, €10 says it happens before S80, and €100 says it happens before the end of the year 2020. :)

It is interesting reading back over this thread more than 7 months later... here are a few things that stand out:-

1. Of the known Apterites we still have Matthew B and Perhaps Barry B and Johhny C's octoruns to look forward to. They are all likely to win 8 games and to score rather well... so who knows?

2. It now seems Zarte will be allowed back before S80, so there is another major contender right there.

3. Elliott Mellor, to my mind. has a decent shot at this now too. When this thread was started, he was not yet an Apterite. Now he has reached a level where he can score close to 1000 on a Mocktorun, and he's still improving. Who knows who else might enter the frame in the next 6 months?

4. As ever, the chance is there that some of the seriously talented ones who have declared themselves 'out' as far as a TV appearance is concerned, might have a change of heart and surprise us all.

The 2017-2020 period is shaping up to being a very interesting time to be a Countdown fan.
Do your bets still stand? And are they both at evens? Because then I'd like to take you up on the first one.