Favourite/least favourite new dictionary words

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Favourite/least favourite new dictionary words

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

By 'new dictionary' I mean the thousands of updates that were banged into ODO a year ago for no apparent reason, which totally changed the anagramming game (10%+ drop in letters maxes for most people on Apterous). We've had a year to love them, loathe them and discover them in general, so tell us what you like and don't like.

MY FAVES: peaness, needledick, tropicana

MY LEAST FAVES: tableness, pianoless, rosmarine
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Re: Favourite/least favourite new dictionary words

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Anything ending in -SISES or -EDED is a black magical incantation from the mind of the Devil himself.

My favourite new word is probably, as I've mentioned on Aptochat a couple times, NOCAKE. That's what you have if you eat it too.
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

I like the fact that you can just make stuff up for a laugh and it's actually in now. And thus I enjoyed the other day the surprising validity of the word PREPUBES.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Mark Deeks wrote:I like the fact that you can just make stuff up for a laugh and it's actually in now. And thus I enjoyed the other day the surprising validity of the word PREPUBES.
What?! So, the almost pubes of eleven year olds and blonde-haired people need a word?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Not sure if it's actually a new word but RUNATHON is weird. It implies a long event like a 26-mile running race... but with running instead?
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.