Carol's farewell programme

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Carol's farewell programme

Post by Jennifer Turner »

This may be ancient news, but the tribute to Carol Vorderman, "One Last Consonant Please Carol" is scheduled for 2.55pm on Friday 12 December, immediately before Countdown itself.

Here's the programme blurb:
In this half hour special, Carol Vorderman chats to Gyles Brandreth about her 26-year involvement with Countdown . There are memorable clips, from out-takes to fashion faux pas, and on-screen contributions from Dictionary Corner regulars, Carol's mother Jean Vorderman and Kathryn Apanowicz, the partner of late former host Richard Whiteley.
Last edited by Jennifer Turner on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Re: Carol's farewell programme

Post by Charlie Reams »

I'm glad they've decided to air it, although putting it on before the final episode seems a bit odd. I was in the studio for the filming, along with most of the finalists and a handful of others from the forum, and to be honest I was worried that it'd be a tedious weep-fest that would be quietly canned by Channel 4, but it actually turned out quite well. There's good banter, good guests and some memorable clips from shows gone by; watching them made it feel like only yesterday that the great Whiteley & Vorderman double act were on our screens every day. I will miss those times but as one era closes, another begins, and I'm sure I'm not alone in being fantastically optimistic about the new line-up.
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

Charlie Reams wrote:I will miss those times but as one era closes, another begins, and I'm sure I'm not alone in being fantastically optimistic about the new line-up.
Couldn't have put it better myself. :)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I know Kate Horton explained it to me before, but I don't understand. What kind of a show is Carol's tribute special?
Peter Dunwoody

Post by Peter Dunwoody »

I'm sure they could have given it more than half an hour.

I agree...it does seem a little strange airing it before the show instead of afterwards.

Heaven forbid, however, that anything should get in the way of Noel and his "bank buddy"
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

I can't actually wait to see this program, so I do hope that they show it.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Charlie Reams wrote:to be honest I was worried that it'd be a tedious weep-fest that would be quietly canned by Channel 4, but it actually turned out quite well.
Oh dear, I kinda WANTED a weep-fest, as without one I'll have no reason to be sat at home blubbing by myself. :oops: :lol:
David O'Donnell
Series 58 Champion

Post by David O'Donnell »

1. Buy a bottle of gin;

2. Drink it;

3. No excuse necessary.
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Showing the tribute before the final programme does seem strange. I'd have thought it better to have it immediately after Carol's final Countdown. Indeed, during the recording of the final there were references to the tribute programme "which will be following immediately". Of course these comments could well get edited out.

But maybe Noel Edmunds has objected to anything encroaching on his DOND time.
Dan Vanniasingham
Enthusiast

Post by Dan Vanniasingham »

I'll buck the trend a little and say having the farewell show before the final could work nicely. It gives everybody the chance to see Carol's history of Countdown before enjoying her final performance in the series final. For me, it's better that her final appearance is to be in the role she's performed so wonderfully over 26 years, with both her & Des bowing out gracefully during the trophy presentation.

Oh, and please imagine there's a generic dig at Deal or No Deal here! ;)
Debbi Flack
Acolyte

Post by Debbi Flack »

David O'Donnell wrote:1. Buy a bottle of gin;

2. Drink it;

3. No excuse necessary.
A man after my own heart! ;)
She came, she saw - oh well, at least she tried!
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

It would be weird to put it in Deal Or No Deal's slot, considering DoND is a much more popular show than Countdown. Also, there's racing on earlier in the afternoon, leaving them with an awkward gap to fill before Countdown anyway.
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Jennifer Turner wrote:It would be weird to put it in Deal Or No Deal's slot, considering DoND is a much more popular show than Countdown. Also, there's racing on earlier in the afternoon, leaving them with an awkward gap to fill before Countdown anyway.
WHAT? A programme better than Countdown?
Last edited by Kai Laddiman on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
16/10/2007 - Episode 4460
Dinos Sfyris 76 - 78 Dorian Lidell
Proof that even idiots can get well and truly mainwheeled.
Gavin Chipper
Post-apocalypse

Post by Gavin Chipper »

Dan Vanniasingham wrote:I'll buck the trend a little and say having the farewell show before the final could work nicely. It gives everybody the chance to see Carol's history of Countdown before enjoying her final performance in the series final. For me, it's better that her final appearance is to be in the role she's performed so wonderfully over 26 years, with both her & Des bowing out gracefully during the trophy presentation.

Oh, and please imagine there's a generic dig at Deal or No Deal here! ;)
I agree with you. Before the final seems more logical to me and then you have the final in all its glory.
Ben Wilson
Legend

Post by Ben Wilson »

Kai Laddiman wrote:
Jennifer Turner wrote:It would be weird to put it in Deal Or No Deal's slot, considering DoND is a much more popular show than Countdown. Also, there's racing on earlier in the afternoon, leaving them with an awkward gap to fill before Countdown anyway.
WHAT? A programme better than Countdown?
He said 'more popular', which 98% of the time is the polar opposite of 'better'.
Damian E
Enthusiast

Post by Damian E »

Are you sure its "much more popular"............based on what exactly?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Damian E wrote:

I think Jennifer lives at home with a TV in the shape of a red box and a collection of mini 1 to 22 boxes.
Michael Wallace
Racoonteur

Post by Michael Wallace »

Damian E wrote:

Well a quick google produces this, which would back up her claim, but I don't know enough about these things, and nor do I have the time or motivation to find out, so it may not be especially accurate. Care to explain?
Kai Laddiman
Fanatic

Post by Kai Laddiman »

Michael Wallace wrote:
Damian E wrote:

Well a quick google produces this, which would back up her claim, but I don't know enough about these things, and nor do I have the time or motivation to find out, so it may not be especially accurate. Care to explain?
Site blocked and destroyed on my machine.
Jennifer Turner
Acolyte

Why do I say DoND is much more popular? Well, have you ever looked at the official ratings for Channel 4? It's rare for any episode of Countdown to reach C4's weekly top 30. Whereas pretty much every episode of DoND makes it. There are even still days when DoND is C4's top-rating programme.

By the way, Ben, I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed if I was a "he"...
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

What kind of a program is it anyway?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jason Larsen wrote:What kind of a program is it anyway?
It's an interview Carol, conducted by Gyles Brandreth, with various rolling guests and occasional interludes for classic Countdown clips. Probably runs to about 30 mins with advert breaks.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

So, Charlie, it will be part talk, part clips and no game on that show, right?
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Jason Larsen wrote:So, Charlie, it will be part talk, part clips and no game on that show, right?
Yep.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

David O'Donnell wrote:1. Buy a bottle of gin;
2. Drink it;
3. No excuse necessary.
I'll forgo on the gin (never tried it) and instead opt for a wee dram instead, being a Scottish lassie. But really David, I've only been here a couple of weeks and already I'm encouraged to drink in the afternoon! And BEFORE 3pm! :lol: ;)
Dan Vanniasingham wrote:the chance to see Carol's history of Countdown before enjoying her final performance in the series final. For me, it's better that her final appearance is to be in the role she's performed so wonderfully over 26 years, with both her & Des bowing out gracefully during the trophy presentation.
Oh blimey! That's almost got me blubbing already!

How many people watch the show as it goes out on Channel 4? Because it would be nice to have a little online party together if anyone's up for it. Though we wouldn't want it to distract from watching the show... :| I know, ad breaks - couple of mini parties! :)
Peter Dunwoody

Post by Peter Dunwoody »

For some reason I'm not too optimistic about this show. The fact that it's been squashed into a half hour slot (so that's 22 minutes in reality I suppose) surely doesn't leave room for that many guest appearances, trips down memory lane etc.

And I have the feeling we'll be seeing the same clips and bloopers that have been wheeled out dozens of times before.

I will be tuning in, and I'll accept it for what it is. It will be a sad day for me no matter how the show is, but I do hope I'm wrong and that it's half an hour of decent viewing.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you, Charlie!
Howard Somerset
Kiloposter

Post by Howard Somerset »

Peter Dunwoody wrote:For some reason I'm not too optimistic about this show. The fact that it's been squashed into a half hour slot (so that's 22 minutes in reality I suppose) surely doesn't leave room for that many guest appearances, trips down memory lane etc.

And I have the feeling we'll be seeing the same clips and bloopers that have been wheeled out dozens of times before.

I will be tuning in, and I'll accept it for what it is. It will be a sad day for me no matter how the show is, but I do hope I'm wrong and that it's half an hour of decent viewing.
I think you'll probably enjoy it, Peter. Agreed, many of the clips have been seen before, but not generally when Carol's been there to comment about them. I just hope they don't cut too many of Carol's comments out in editing.

As for the guests, you don't really want too many, or that would leave too little time for Carol herself. And I feel they've got the right mix between guests who are familiar and those who are not.

I, for one, am looking forward to it, and will certainly be saving it.
Sue Sheldon

Post by Sue Sheldon »

I too look forward to seeing this before the final, got to finish on a positive note or too many people will be out there contemplating something drastic! :cry:
Dinos Sfyris
Series 80 Champion

Post by Dinos Sfyris »

Think this one will be worth dodging labs. I can feel a sickie coming on already!
steve D

Post by steve D »

OH ! CAROL I'll be lost ! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: ...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=w1zF101WIOc
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I think it's appropriate that her special is called, "One Last Consonant Please, Carol," but we never thought it would happen!
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Jason Larsen wrote:I think it's appropriate that her special is called, "One Last Consonant Please, Carol," but we never thought it would happen!
I wonder who gets the honour to say this...
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Kirk Bevins wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:I think it's appropriate that her special is called, "One Last Consonant Please, Carol," but we never thought it would happen!
I wonder who gets the honour to say this...
I don't think this would've happened in the recording, but I would've thought for the last numbers and word rounds, that Carol would've got to pick the selections.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Kirk, I have a feeling it'll be someone we know.
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Carol will be on BBC Breakfast News tomorrow morning. (I guess the time of day you could have guessed by the show's title, right?! lol)
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Will one of you who sees the show tell me how she's doing, please?
Julie T
Kiloposter

Post by Julie T »

Carol on BBC1 ATM! :D :D
"My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me." Benjamin Disraeli
Lucy Gowers
Rookie

Post by Lucy Gowers »

Jason Larsen wrote:Will one of you who sees the show tell me how she's doing, please?
Jason, you can see for yourself: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7777032.stm
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Lucy Gowers wrote:
Jason Larsen wrote:Will one of you who sees the show tell me how she's doing, please?
Jason, you can see for yourself: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7777032.stm
This is an awesome video :D. I can't wait to see the finals tomorrow.

P.S.: Is the font that you see at 0:59 Futura Extra Bold?
Lesley Jeavons
Enthusiast

Post by Lesley Jeavons »

Carol was fab this morning! :D Absolutely loved the footage shown and had a small cry watching it before heading to work. Susie looked so young in one shot of her - cute. And it was lovely to hear that Richard's family came to the recording - that would have been emotional enough in itself. I felt all snug and cuddley / cuddly (someone will correct me I'm sure lol) that we're all part of the Countdown family.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Thank you, Lucy!

Now, why can't anyone tell me why her mood changed rapidly when the time came?

I liked the "Richard montage," and I'm sure Betty White would have loved the music that went with it!

I'm glad to hear that Carol will still be on TV in the future!
Charlie Reams
Site Admin

Post by Charlie Reams »

Charlie Reams wrote: I will miss those times but as one era closes, another begins, and I'm sure I'm not alone in being fantastically optimistic about the new line-up.
Just my little joke.
Kirk Bevins
God

Post by Kirk Bevins »

Charlie Reams wrote:
Charlie Reams wrote: I will miss those times but as one era closes, another begins, and I'm sure I'm not alone in being fantastically optimistic about the new line-up.
Just my little joke.
Ha. Good one.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Isn't that ironic about the conundrum on Carol's last show?
Pete Fraser

Post by Pete Fraser »

Jason Larsen wrote:Isn't that ironic about the conundrum on Carol's last show?
Er, no, it really wasn't. Take it from me, I'm British and therefore understand irony. And I have terrible teeth.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

But, Pete, it all had to do with Carol!
Pete Fraser

Post by Pete Fraser »

Exactly. It was planned to be appropriate to the occasion, which makes it very much unironic.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Yes. We miss her!
Jeff Clayton
Enthusiast

Post by Jeff Clayton »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7777032.stm

Yes. And if you're interested, the BBC News typeface is Humanst521.

Jeff
Joseph Bolas
Fanatic

Post by Joseph Bolas »

Jeff Clayton wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7777032.stm

Yes. And if you're interested, the BBC News typeface is Humanst521.

Jeff

Thank you Jeff :)
Diane Allinson
Rookie

Post by Diane Allinson »

Hi, i've been away in Spain for 6 weeks with no Sky TV or internet, so missed all the final shows, i'd love to see Carol's tribute show. Does anyone know where i could see it?
Jacob Sutton
Rookie

Post by Jacob Sutton »

One Last Consonant is on YouTube and starts here - not sure if the final is floating about anywhere though.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

Is Gyles Brandreth one of the people who will never appear on Countdown again because he doesn't like Carol's mistreatment?
jeff wharton
Rookie

Post by jeff wharton »

Diane Allinson wrote:Hi, i've been away in Spain for 6 weeks with no Sky TV or internet, so missed all the final shows, i'd love to see Carol's tribute show. Does anyone know where i could see it?
If you would like a copy of Carols tribute show and her last programme on DVD PM me with your address and I will send you a copy.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jason Larsen wrote:Is Gyles Brandreth one of the people who will never appear on Countdown again because he doesn't like Carol's mistreatment?
I, for one, have my fingers crossed.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

You're not too crazy about Gyles, are you, Ian?
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Jason Larsen wrote:You're not too crazy about Gyles, are you, Ian?
All the twenty-odd years I've been watching countdown I've found him pretty tedious.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

I'll have you know, they are pretty happy with Jeff and Rachel, Ian!