Who would you like to see in DC?

All discussion relevant to Countdown that is not too spoilerific. New members: come here first to introduce yourself. We don't bite, or at least rarely.
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Re: Who would you like to see in DC?

Post by Jason Larsen »

He may be too busy Rosemary.
Karen Pearson
Devotee

Post by Karen Pearson »

Rosemary Roberts wrote:Can we please have Richard Osman in Dictionary Corner. He's clever, and funny, and tall.
I'd rather see him presenting it.
Rosemary Roberts
Devotee

Post by Rosemary Roberts »

I'm quite content with Nick at the moment, but Richard would be an excellent choice for next time. No reason not to have him in DC first.

And why do we never get any Celebrity Countdowns any more? Are they too expensive?
Jason Larsen
Postmaster General

Post by Jason Larsen »

With the ratings soared as high as they have been with Nick hosting, I think it would be best to leave him as host first.

May I say that I was surprised to hear the ratings went up at first? I didn't think they would go up as much considering Nick is best known as a businessman and not a TV host.
Arthur Bennett

Post by Arthur Bennett »

Apologies for bumping this thread, but...

If John Suchet, Alastair Stewart and Nicholas Owen can all be guests, then why not Michael Buerk, John Humphrys or Peter Sissons?

And why not Henry Kelly, Matthew Kelly (no relation), Gordon Burns, Roy Walker or even Richard O'Brien?

As for previous guests, I notice that Sir Giscard O'Hitler hasn't appeared since series 54 - I presume he simply doesn't enjoy the show as much without t'other Richard?

And Tom "Never a Cross Word" O'Connor hasn't appeared since series 58, which suggests that, well, he simply doesn't enjoy the show as much without Vorderman.
"The atmosphere is so tense, if Elvis walked in with a portion of chips, you could hear the vinegar sizzle on them." - Sid Waddell 1940-2012
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Kim Jong-Un.
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Johnny Canuck
Kiloposter

Post by Johnny Canuck »

Is Brian May too famous? I think he should appear in just one episode (most likely a grand final).
I'm not dead yet. In a rut right now because of stress from work. I'll be back later in S89. I also plan to bring back the Mastergram - if I can find a way to run a timer or clock through pure MediaWiki without having to upload to Vimeo every time.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

The Top Gear presenters would be good with lots of interesting things to talk about not just cars etc, probably James May suits the stereotypical viewer best? Or one of the 8/10 cats guys coming back like Sean or Jon, there's clearly a good relationship already between the two shows already established and would be great entertainment once again.
Mark Ivey
Rookie

Post by Mark Ivey »

Charlie Brooker would be my pick! He already works for Channel 4, and he's one of the most intelligent men on TV at the moment so it would be a treat if he went on.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Andy Platt wrote:The Top Gear presenters would be good with lots of interesting things to talk about not just cars etc, probably James May suits the stereotypical viewer best?
That would be horrible. They are all gits. I can tolerate Clarkson cause he can be funny but I can't stand the other two. Smug wankers the pair of them.
Mark James
Kiloposter

Post by Mark James »

Mark Ivey wrote:Charlie Brooker would be my pick! He already works for Channel 4, and he's one of the most intelligent men on TV at the moment so it would be a treat if he went on.
That's more like it.
Ciaran Thompson
Rookie

Post by Ciaran Thompson »

I would have liked not to see Jenny Eclair in DC for one of the most significant weeks in Countdown history - this week. She's only been on the show for five episodes before this one (despite Nick calling her a DC favourite). I don't think you can acieve DC favour that quickly. Who came up with the idea of having her for the finals of this big championship? She's funny and interesting yes, but this week, we should have had Gyles Brandreth, Jo Brand or maybe even a former presenter - Des Lynam.

I'd like to see Des Lynam in DC again. Interesting fact about him (well I think so) - he's the only person in the history of Countdown to be a contestant, a presenter and a DC guest on the show. He's done it all.

If it was ever possible, I'd like to see Patrick Stewart in Dictionary Corner. I saw him at the Cambridge Union - what an interesting man. I'd have people who've only been on a few times before like Richard Wilson (aka Victor Medlrew), Sue Perkins, Anneka Rice or Ranulph Fiennes (when he recovers from his frostbite).

Why not have Stephen Fry back? It's been ages since he was last on. And how about other comedians / comedy actors like Rowan Atkinson, Victoria Wood or Celia Imrie for the first time?
Adam Gillard
Kiloposter
Location: About 45 minutes south-east of Thibodaux, Louisiana

Post by Adam Gillard »

Would be nice to give Jeff Stelling a welcome back at some point with a stint in DC, perhaps just for a one-off, like Des Lynam for the 5,000th episode.
Mike Brown: "Round 12: T N R S A E I G U

C1: SIGNATURE (18) ["9; not written down"]
C2: SEATING (7)
Score: 108–16 (max 113)

Another niner for Adam and yet another century. Well done, that man."
Brian Moore
Devotee

Post by Brian Moore »

Mark James wrote:
Mark Ivey wrote:Charlie Brooker would be my pick! He already works for Channel 4, and he's one of the most intelligent men on TV at the moment so it would be a treat if he went on.
That's more like it.
Countdownwipe.

Richard Osman from Pointless would be good.
Mike Brown
Legend

Post by Mike Brown »

Andy Platt wrote:The Top Gear presenters would be good with lots of interesting things to talk about not just cars etc, probably James May suits the stereotypical viewer best? Or one of the 8/10 cats guys coming back like Sean or Jon, there's clearly a good relationship already between the two shows already established and would be great entertainment once again.
Would definitely like to see Jon Richardson in DC. He's evidently pretty good at the game, judging by his performances on the 8/10 Cats mash-ups, and seems a decent guy too.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

Mike Brown wrote:
Andy Platt wrote:The Top Gear presenters would be good with lots of interesting things to talk about not just cars etc, probably James May suits the stereotypical viewer best? Or one of the 8/10 cats guys coming back like Sean or Jon, there's clearly a good relationship already between the two shows already established and would be great entertainment once again.
Would definitely like to see Jon Richardson in DC. He's evidently pretty good at the game, judging by his performances on the 8/10 Cats mash-ups, and seems a decent guy too.
Yeah more importantly he'd actually want to do it and have a bit of passion for it rather than just like, the usual guests
Ciaran Thompson
Rookie

Post by Ciaran Thompson »

David Attenborough
Melvyn Bragg
Dawn French
Jeff Stelling
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

What about ex-contestants?

Fell
Freeman
Saldanha
Spate
Hansford(!)
Tracey Anne Mills
Devotee
Location: The Series 72 Runner Up, The Crazy Cat Lady that lives my with two cats Freddie and Callie

Post by Tracey Anne Mills »

Robert Baxter wrote:I would like to see former contestants, like Charlie Reams or Jon Corby. Maybe Scott Mearns.
http://wiki.apterous.org/Charlie_Reams
http://wiki.apterous.org/Jon_Corby
http://wiki.apterous.org/Scott_Mearns
They have already had 3 former contestants gracing Countdown DC.... Eadie Nyman and Wylie
Tracey 'Old Enough To Be My Mum' Mills aka Crazy Cat Lady and Cat Lover
Nina Boyd
Rookie

Post by Nina Boyd »

How about Penelope Wilton, just to show all you embryos that Penelopes can be wonderful, too!
Zarte Siempre
Series 78 Champion

Post by Zarte Siempre »

Nina Boyd wrote:How about Penelope Wilton, just to show all you embryos that Penelopes can be wonderful, too!
Hahahaha
Possibly the first contestant to accelerate with a mic clipped...
Mark Deeks
Fanatic

Post by Mark Deeks »

At the Comic Relief marathon, Mark Watson said he'd "absolutely love" to be in Dictionary Corner. I assume he meant it. He'd be good at it, too, I reckon.
Eoin Monaghan wrote:
He may not be liked on here, but you have to give some credit to Mark
Tom
Acolyte

Post by Tom »

I'd love to see Keith Lemon in DC but I don't think it would happen. However on a more serious note, I do think it would be a really good shout to try and get Sir Alex Ferguson in DC now he's retired and obviously the studios won't be too far away from him.
Probably the second tallest ever series finalist.
Andy Platt
Kiloposter

Post by Andy Platt »

There's a shout - ambitious but realistic, and there are already some links between Rachel & United to be able to tap into, with the MUTV interviews and stuff
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

I can see quite a few Strictly Come Dancing links for Series 70 now. Think Darcey Bussell or Len Goodman would be brilliant. Personally I would have loved a former Doctor for Doctor Who's 50. But hey we could have one later.
Definitely not Jamie McNeill or Schrodinger's Cat....
Dave Preece
Devotee

Post by Dave Preece »

Former presenters — Des, Des and Jeff?

Carol Vorderman would defo be interesting!
Anthony Endsor
Enthusiast

Post by Anthony Endsor »

I was thinking Carol Vorderman too funnily enough :P
That's if she'd even be allowed near the studio again.
James S Roper
Acolyte

Post by James S Roper »

Dave Preece wrote:Former presenters — Des, Des and Jeff?

Carol Vorderman would defo be interesting!

She wanted to return in the 30th Birthday Championships apparently, but was told no. Personally I'm not going to think too much about which side of the story's true, but I doubt she's coming back.
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

Sorry just found this thread thanks to Gavin, after making a new one earlier haha.

I would like to see one or two more Cats Does Countdown people on Dictionary Corner, I know Bill Bailey and David Baddiel have been on it.

I reckon Jon Richardson should do it, he is pretty good at CD so I reckon he'd be quite fitting.
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Well if this thread is being bumped.... Here are a few who I think might be realistic

Jeremy Paxman
- Just for harsh reactions to contestants missing certain words
Anne Robinson- I know she was on once in the late 80's, but it would be great to have her again
Stuart Pearce- Three guesses why
Claude Littner and/or Karren Brady- More Apprentice stories
Katie Derham- Loved her on Strictly last year and would have hundreds of interesting stories
Philip Martin Brown - Waterloo Road's Grantly Budgen
Daphne Fowler- has said before she'd love to do it
Ainslie Harriott- Always entertaining
William G Stewart- Has links with the show in the past
Sandi Toksvig- Would be good for Channel 4 links with 15-to-1 and is incredibly entertaining live
Sian Welby- Channel 5 weathergirl and has a history of punmaking, could be a better version of Jo Brand
Mark Benton- Great actor and incredibly nice bloke
Gabby Logan- Again, was on a long time ago but would have great stories nowadays

Bit more unrealistic

Jayne Torvill and/or Christopher Dean- Hometown pride
Pasha Kovalev- Suppose if someone cancels at short notice he could be drafted in as an emergency guest being Rachel's bf and all
Adam Hills- Links with Channel 4 and the Paralympics may make this possible
Any former member of S Club 7- There ain't no party like a S Club Party!
Anybody involved with Doctor Who/Harry Potter/Sherlock/Game of Thrones- Fandom geeking out
Philip Wilson
Devotee

Post by Philip Wilson »

Richard O'Brien, plus "Chaser Shaun" and possibly Davina McCall, oh and as someone else said Brian May.
Peter Clarke
Rookie

Post by Peter Clarke »

Well according to Wiki Apterous, Joe Lycett is set to be in DC on the main show! If that's true, I am looking forward to that. Also looking forward to Hugh Dennis being on there if that's also true.
Sean Fletcher
Acolyte

Post by Sean Fletcher »

James Laverty wrote: Anybody involved with Doctor Who/Harry Potter/Sherlock/Game of Thrones- Fandom geeking out
This would be awesome. Benedict/Martin or Emma Watson
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

Who is Benedict Martin?
meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles meles
Jennifer Steadman
Kiloposter

Post by Jennifer Steadman »

James Laverty wrote:Philip Martin Brown - Waterloo Road's Grantly Budgen
I could go and ask him, he lives 5 minutes' walk away from me ;) (Might freak him out a bit though)
"There's leaders, and there's followers, but I'd rather be a dick than a swallower" - Aristotle
James Laverty
Enthusiast

Post by James Laverty »

Jennifer Steadman wrote:
James Laverty wrote:Philip Martin Brown - Waterloo Road's Grantly Budgen
I could go and ask him, he lives 5 minutes' walk away from me ;) (Might freak him out a bit though)
haha, doubt that will be necessary :P
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Ian Volante wrote:Who is Benedict Martin?
He traitorously sold out to the hated British in the American Civil War.
Ian Volante
Postmaster General

Post by Ian Volante »

JimBentley wrote:
Ian Volante wrote:Who is Benedict Martin?
He traitorously sold out to the hated British in the American Civil War.
Shame, I thought https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Martin would have been good.
JimBentley
Fanatic

Post by JimBentley »

Wikipedia wrote:He is currently a FREE AGENT.
If this was Championship Manager I'd have snapped him up by now.
JackHurst
Series 63 Champion

Post by JackHurst »

James Laverty wrote: Ainsley Harriott- Always entertaining
If this ever happens, please somebody let me know so I can have audience tickets.